Welcome Guest
You last visited January 16, 2017, 12:06 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Documentary

Topic closed. 20 replies. Last post 5 years ago by Nino224.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
VAHopeful's avatar - winifrid
Virginia
United States
Member #116536
September 13, 2011
51 Posts
Posted: November 21, 2011, 9:13 am - IP Logged

Janem,

In all the lottery shows I've seen that's first time someone has admitted to resenting their friend's good fortune. It's repugnant, but honest. They did the right thing by moving away from all those people. Sadly, we all have people like that in our lives, whether we know it or not.

I haven't seen the documentary, but I can't say I'd judge any of their old friends too harshly. I think most everyone would feel jealous, and maybe even angry after a while, if their friend won the lottery. Look at all the responses the articles on the winners get - always some jealousy and judgement about whether total strangers 'deserved' to win.

It would be sad to lose my friends (esp. since you could never be sure whether any new friends like you for you or your money), but, to be honest, I'd be more concerned with keeping my kids productive members of society.

LottoGuyBC's avatar - Lottery-050.jpg
    British Columbia
    Canada
    Member #116101
    September 4, 2011
    4033 Posts
    Posted: November 21, 2011, 12:06 pm - IP Logged

Bummer. How about video stores, they got those in B.C.?? LOL!

there mite still be some video stores here but places like Blockbuster Canada have gone belly up Thud

prolly old video stores that only carry VHS Thud

"You have to be in it to win it!"

Sunny California
      United States
      Member #40295
      May 31, 2006
      7713 Posts
      Posted: November 21, 2011, 12:21 pm - IP Logged

When I started reading your description about this doc. it sounded kind of familiar and then when I looked it up on the internet and saw that it was the one that Sean Welch was involved in making... it made sense. He actually started a thread here on LP a few years back looking for people here to participate in this documentary.

Think this was it--   http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/155131/820896

I had several conversations with him...cool guy! His grandpa was Don DeFore which some of you may remember as Mr. B on the old "Hazel" reruns. Glad to see the project finally came to fruition! Thanks for the info! Will have to check it out :)

janem's avatar - cat computer.jpg
        California
        United States
        Member #69399
        January 9, 2009
        380 Posts
        Posted: November 21, 2011, 7:54 pm - IP Logged

I haven't seen the documentary, but I can't say I'd judge any of their old friends too harshly. I think most everyone would feel jealous, and maybe even angry after a while, if their friend won the lottery. Look at all the responses the articles on the winners get - always some jealousy and judgement about whether total strangers 'deserved' to win.

It would be sad to lose my friends (esp. since you could never be sure whether any new friends like you for you or your money), but, to be honest, I'd be more concerned with keeping my kids productive members of society.

I understood being jealous because I think anyone would feel that way but it was like Nino224 said in his previous post, this woman  "was seething with jealousy and anger, too. It was hard to watch."

Envy is to be expected but being that angry at a friend's good fortune was indeed very hard to watch.

Nino224's avatar - Lottery-013.jpg
          Miami, FLA
          United States
          Member #62793
          July 9, 2008
          678 Posts
          Posted: November 22, 2011, 2:37 am - IP Logged

I guess it depends on whether it's a friend or acquaintance, and I suppose a tinge of jealousy is only human, but outright anger? I don't think so.

"...a chance to push everything aside, the circumstances that've controlled our lives, and do it our way now. Good, bad or otherwise. You'll maybe get lost in it, tied up in it a little bit, but if you work your way through that the real you shows up, I think. Maybe what's at your core deep down, maybe that comes out. Maybe that's what it's about." Mike Pace 

Nino224's avatar - Lottery-013.jpg
            Miami, FLA
            United States
            Member #62793
            July 9, 2008
            678 Posts
            Posted: November 22, 2011, 2:40 am - IP Logged

When I started reading your description about this doc. it sounded kind of familiar and then when I looked it up on the internet and saw that it was the one that Sean Welch was involved in making... it made sense. He actually started a thread here on LP a few years back looking for people here to participate in this documentary.

Think this was it--   http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/155131/820896

I had several conversations with him...cool guy! His grandpa was Don DeFore which some of you may remember as Mr. B on the old "Hazel" reruns. Glad to see the project finally came to fruition! Thanks for the info! Will have to check it out :)

Very interesting!

He made a great documentary about the lottery. I highly recommend it.

"...a chance to push everything aside, the circumstances that've controlled our lives, and do it our way now. Good, bad or otherwise. You'll maybe get lost in it, tied up in it a little bit, but if you work your way through that the real you shows up, I think. Maybe what's at your core deep down, maybe that comes out. Maybe that's what it's about." Mike Pace