Welcome Guest
You last visited January 17, 2017, 12:05 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

A Poor Man Does Not Have A Chance??

Topic closed. 33 replies. Last post 5 years ago by ttech10.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
Jani Norman's avatar - fiftyways
OHIO
United States
Member #4164
March 27, 2004
14586 Posts
Posted: November 28, 2011, 7:04 pm - IP Logged

ROCKY HILL, Conn. (AP) — Three asset managers from Connecticut's affluent New York suburbs claimed a $254 million Powerball jackpot on Monday off a $1 ticket.

Greg Skidmore, Brandon Lacoff and Tim Davidson came forward as trustees for The Putnam Avenue Family Trust, which they formed after Davidson bought the winning ticket at a Stamford gas station. At least two of them live in Greenwich, one of America's wealthiest towns.

They will take the after-tax lump sum of nearly $104 million in cash. They say a significant portion will go to charity.

Davidson bought the $1 quick pick ticket for the Nov. 2 drawing at the Shippan Point BP gas station in Stamford. It was the only ticket he bought. The winning numbers were 12-14-34-39-46, Powerball 36.

The jackpot was the largest ever won in Connecticut and the 12th biggest in Powerball history.

The three men work at a small, startup asset management firm called Belpointe LLC in Greenwich. They appeared with their lawyer at a news conference and didn't say much.

"It feels good," Skidmore said.

Lottery officials had used billboards across the state to urge the ticket holder to come forward as the weeks went by without a winner.

Ranjit Singh, the gas station manager, said lottery officials called the station at about 10:30 a.m. Monday to announce that the winning ticket had been sold there. The station receives $100,000 for selling the winning ticket.

Singh said he didn't know the winners and doesn't remember selling the winning ticket.

"We're really happy," Singh said. "Christmas is a little early."

____

Associated Press writer Dave Collins in Hartford contributed to this report.

What do you think?

"I am what I am by the grace of God."

Kitfany

http://www.ohiolottery.com/

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
    Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
    United States
    Member #73904
    April 28, 2009
    14903 Posts
    Posted: November 28, 2011, 7:13 pm - IP Logged

I don't think I understand your question.

Why doesn't a poor man have a chance?

If he bought a ticket he has the same chance as anybody else who bought a ticket..

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

Tenaj's avatar - michellea
      Charlotte NC
      United States
      Member #17406
      June 18, 2005
      4054 Posts
      Posted: November 28, 2011, 7:41 pm - IP Logged

TypeSome people, even in this economy live epicurean lifestyles with huge mortgages, big car notes, finest day care for their babies, private school for their children, parties, the best of the best food and drink, clothes, etc., but they are in tremendous debt

If they fall, they will fall from a long ways up and hit the ground hard.  A poor man will hit the ground from the distance of a porch.

For all I know they need the money just as bad as I do. Congratulations to them.

takeemtothebank

THRIFTY's avatar - great seal_obverse.jpg
        NEW YORK
        United States
        Member #90535
        April 29, 2010
        12094 Posts
        Posted: November 28, 2011, 7:42 pm - IP Logged

ROCKY HILL, Conn. (AP) — Three asset managers from Connecticut's affluent New York suburbs claimed a $254 million Powerball jackpot on Monday off a $1 ticket.

Greg Skidmore, Brandon Lacoff and Tim Davidson came forward as trustees for The Putnam Avenue Family Trust, which they formed after Davidson bought the winning ticket at a Stamford gas station. At least two of them live in Greenwich, one of America's wealthiest towns.

They will take the after-tax lump sum of nearly $104 million in cash. They say a significant portion will go to charity.

Davidson bought the $1 quick pick ticket for the Nov. 2 drawing at the Shippan Point BP gas station in Stamford. It was the only ticket he bought. The winning numbers were 12-14-34-39-46, Powerball 36.

The jackpot was the largest ever won in Connecticut and the 12th biggest in Powerball history.

The three men work at a small, startup asset management firm called Belpointe LLC in Greenwich. They appeared with their lawyer at a news conference and didn't say much.

"It feels good," Skidmore said.

Lottery officials had used billboards across the state to urge the ticket holder to come forward as the weeks went by without a winner.

Ranjit Singh, the gas station manager, said lottery officials called the station at about 10:30 a.m. Monday to announce that the winning ticket had been sold there. The station receives $100,000 for selling the winning ticket.

Singh said he didn't know the winners and doesn't remember selling the winning ticket.

"We're really happy," Singh said. "Christmas is a little early."

____

Associated Press writer Dave Collins in Hartford contributed to this report.

What do you think?

Buy 1 QUICK PICK TICKET. You just have to be in the right place at the right time in order to win big like they did.

GOOD LUCK TO THE WINNERS with your new wealth.CONGRATULATIONS US Flag White Bounce

ttech10's avatar - blobdude
          Texas
          United States
          Member #92330
          June 5, 2010
          887 Posts
          Posted: November 28, 2011, 8:12 pm - IP Logged

The key words there were off a $1 ticket. They had just as much a chance, if not a little worse, seeing as how many play >$1 per draw, as the rest of us who play. Or rather, we had just as much a chance at winning as they did, poor or not.

Quite a bit of poor folk win it's just that the rich are most notable/more memorable since they're the ones most would feel envious towards. I mean look at Whittaker, he had a net worth of over $17 million when he won and look how many, albeit cold hearted, people were happy he had the outcome he did. If he had been like Shaw I'm sure there would have been less people enjoying the downfall.

gonnawinwatchme's avatar - images
            Wisconsin
            United States
            Member #58835
            February 27, 2008
            148 Posts
            Posted: November 28, 2011, 10:18 pm - IP Logged

I am a firm believer in the law of attraction and this would make sense why they won.  They didn't need the money and already put out in the universe that they felt wealthy....so what did they attract?  MORE WEALTH.

If you go through life with the belief you're poor, the universe will turn right around and make that come true for you!!

boston,ma
              United States
              Member #119384
              November 22, 2011
              13 Posts
              Posted: November 28, 2011, 10:23 pm - IP Logged

i think its just luck ,thoses guys are lucky that all.

Boney526's avatar - NjlpLogo
                New Jersey
                United States
                Member #99032
                October 18, 2010
                1439 Posts
                Posted: November 28, 2011, 10:37 pm - IP Logged

I meant to quote Rdgrnr here....

Think he was saying it sort of ironically, pointing at the fact that he played one ticket.  Like, "yeah, I thought the poor never win?"  At least that's what I think he meant, but that seems kinda strange because you don't know that the guy was poor just because he bought one ticket.  Rarely do I buy more than one ticket for the same game because I start at 1 ticket PP when it gets to (sometimes when it's approaching) 100 million cash.  When it grows well beyond that, I usually spend that 2 dollars, and a $3 QP, but that's it. I know a lot of people buy just one.  but I'd guess more people who play buy more than just  one.

Boney526's avatar - NjlpLogo
                  New Jersey
                  United States
                  Member #99032
                  October 18, 2010
                  1439 Posts
                  Posted: November 28, 2011, 10:48 pm - IP Logged

I meant to quote Rdgrnr here....

Think he was saying it sort of ironically, pointing at the fact that he played one ticket.  Like, "yeah, I thought the poor never win?"  At least that's what I think he meant, but that seems kinda strange because you don't know that the guy was poor just because he bought one ticket.  Rarely do I buy more than one ticket for the same game because I start at 1 ticket PP when it gets to (sometimes when it's approaching) 100 million cash.  When it grows well beyond that, I usually spend that 2 dollars, and a $3 QP, but that's it. I know a lot of people buy just one.  but I'd guess more people who play buy more than just  one.

Turns out I was wrong.

Oh well.  If they were from a money management firm, maybe that's why they knew how to control themselves, and just spent a dollar.

bobby623's avatar - abstract
                    San Angelo, Texas
                    United States
                    Member #1097
                    January 31, 2003
                    1405 Posts
                    Posted: November 29, 2011, 10:44 am - IP Logged

Maybe the guy who 'actually' bought the ticket, and then hired someone to claim the money, was poor!

Andy Winn's avatar - Lottery-004.jpg
                      gainesville, ga
                      United States
                      Member #118559
                      November 3, 2011
                      1 Posts
                      Posted: November 29, 2011, 6:53 pm - IP Logged

What amount of money makes a person rich and another poor? I'm not rich and I'm not poor. So are my chances 50 50? I don't think the numbers favor one group or another.

Member #0
                        January 1, 2000
                        0 Posts
                        Posted: November 29, 2011, 10:43 pm - IP Logged

Most people who win are not poor, but middle class....same thing...lol

ladaily3's avatar - 9AF clipart0278.jpg
                          Los Angeles
                          United States
                          Member #55415
                          September 30, 2007
                          979 Posts
                          Posted: November 29, 2011, 10:55 pm - IP Logged

The odds of winning a MM Jackpot in Compton or any other poor impoverished neighborhood are probably 100 TRILLION to 1...TRUE FACT!!!

While in Newport Beach, CA i've actually had a few good wins playing there no Jackpot but extremely close...

Just my 2cents.

Pick3Geni.us

Milwaukee, WI
                            United States
                            Member #3131
                            December 27, 2003
                            665 Posts
                            Posted: November 29, 2011, 11:35 pm - IP Logged

>"We're really happy," Singh said. "Christmas is a little early."

What are the odds that Ranjit Singh really believes in Christmas?????  :-)

ladaily3's avatar - 9AF clipart0278.jpg
                              Los Angeles
                              United States
                              Member #55415
                              September 30, 2007
                              979 Posts
                              Posted: November 29, 2011, 11:40 pm - IP Logged

>"We're really happy," Singh said. "Christmas is a little early."

What are the odds that Ranjit Singh really believes in Christmas?????  :-)

LOL....Dude

Pick3Geni.us