Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 9:00 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Office pool wins twice in 1 year, here is their system

Topic closed. 10 replies. Last post 5 years ago by Coin Toss.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Dawn32's avatar - DawnMarch2012
New Jersey
United States
Member #71646
March 1, 2009
204 Posts
Posted: January 11, 2012, 8:17 am - IP Logged

So I'm watching the news about an office pool in CA who won twice in one year.  They attribute it to their method.  The would get quick picks, they re-play those quick picks 8 times before getting a new set of quick picks.

Now, I don't see anything here that would give them a better chance of winning by doing it this way.  But I'm sure a ton of people will now play this way.

"Bless me Lord, so that I may be a blessing to others."

Kentucky
    United States
    Member #32652
    February 14, 2006
    7308 Posts
    Posted: January 11, 2012, 11:05 am - IP Logged

So I'm watching the news about an office pool in CA who won twice in one year.  They attribute it to their method.  The would get quick picks, they re-play those quick picks 8 times before getting a new set of quick picks.

Now, I don't see anything here that would give them a better chance of winning by doing it this way.  But I'm sure a ton of people will now play this way.

That is a good way to run a pool because they collect all the money and play the same combos for the next 8 drawings. It's saves the person running the pool from collecting the money several times, making 8 trips to a store to buy the tickets and copying them for the other members.

Maybe luck just favors those who use more practical ways to run their pool because there is no edge on winning by playing this way.

Dawn32's avatar - DawnMarch2012
      New Jersey
      United States
      Member #71646
      March 1, 2009
      204 Posts
      Posted: January 12, 2012, 7:43 am - IP Logged

That is a good way to run a pool because they collect all the money and play the same combos for the next 8 drawings. It's saves the person running the pool from collecting the money several times, making 8 trips to a store to buy the tickets and copying them for the other members.

Maybe luck just favors those who use more practical ways to run their pool because there is no edge on winning by playing this way.

Yeah I agree.  Though it's convenient.

"Bless me Lord, so that I may be a blessing to others."

lakerben's avatar - spherewall
        New Mexico
        United States
        Member #86099
        January 29, 2010
        11119 Posts
        Posted: January 12, 2012, 12:59 pm - IP Logged

There are various forms of qp's.  Back when I lived in Texas a guy used pennies with the numbers taped on them and threw them in a coffee can.  His filtering method was to have a couple of cold ones ,shake the can and reach in and grab six pennies.  As the story was told he won with this method. 

Thumbs Up

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
          Texas
          United States
          Member #55889
          October 23, 2007
          5595 Posts
          Posted: January 13, 2012, 12:03 pm - IP Logged

There are various forms of qp's.  Back when I lived in Texas a guy used pennies with the numbers taped on them and threw them in a coffee can.  His filtering method was to have a couple of cold ones ,shake the can and reach in and grab six pennies.  As the story was told he won with this method. 

Thumbs Up

That's how I usually pick my pool's numbers. If I want to play all or most of the numbers in the matrix, this is an easy way to do it.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

lakerben's avatar - spherewall
            New Mexico
            United States
            Member #86099
            January 29, 2010
            11119 Posts
            Posted: January 13, 2012, 12:16 pm - IP Logged

That's how I usually pick my pool's numbers. If I want to play all or most of the numbers in the matrix, this is an easy way to do it.

Well, holy guacamole!  We may be starting a trend!  I'm getting the pennies out today!

US Flag

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
              Zeta Reticuli Star System
              United States
              Member #30470
              January 17, 2006
              10350 Posts
              Posted: January 13, 2012, 5:56 pm - IP Logged

Thumbs Up

lakerben,

We once had a thread here about what is and what isn't a QP that turned into a real donnybrook.....some people say that if the ticket doesn't say QP then it is not a QP. I agree with you that there are various forms of QP.

Dawn32,

My wife saw that on the news, and it was immediately folowed with a story about another jackpot winner whose advice was, "Never play a quick pick." The news people just shook their heads........

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Kentucky
                United States
                Member #32652
                February 14, 2006
                7308 Posts
                Posted: January 13, 2012, 9:05 pm - IP Logged

lakerben,

We once had a thread here about what is and what isn't a QP that turned into a real donnybrook.....some people say that if the ticket doesn't say QP then it is not a QP. I agree with you that there are various forms of QP.

Dawn32,

My wife saw that on the news, and it was immediately folowed with a story about another jackpot winner whose advice was, "Never play a quick pick." The news people just shook their heads........

When the Ohio Lotto first started they were called "auto picks" because the machines picked the numbers. Maybe the term "quick pick" started because the lottery terminals could randomly pick numbers much faster than a player filling out a playslip regardless of which method they used for picking their numbers.

That discussion was about the 70% to 80% QP to self-pick ratio in PB. Just because you can pick you're numbers and put them on playslips really fast still doesn't change the fact PB statistics will call any played combination not generated by a lottery terminal a "self-pick".

United States
                  Member #30470
                  January 17, 2006
                  10350 Posts
                  Posted: January 14, 2012, 9:55 am - IP Logged

When the Ohio Lotto first started they were called "auto picks" because the machines picked the numbers. Maybe the term "quick pick" started because the lottery terminals could randomly pick numbers much faster than a player filling out a playslip regardless of which method they used for picking their numbers.

That discussion was about the 70% to 80% QP to self-pick ratio in PB. Just because you can pick you're numbers and put them on playslips really fast still doesn't change the fact PB statistics will call any played combination not generated by a lottery terminal a "self-pick".

Stack47,

You might be thinking about this one:

http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/198782

I was thinking of this one:

http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/160423

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Kentucky
                    United States
                    Member #32652
                    February 14, 2006
                    7308 Posts
                    Posted: January 14, 2012, 12:36 pm - IP Logged

Stack47,

You might be thinking about this one:

http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/198782

I was thinking of this one:

http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/160423

My bad because I was thinking in terms of "a donnybrook" and the posts in those two threads were respectful of other opinions.

I though you meant this one:

http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/217100

United States
                      Member #30470
                      January 17, 2006
                      10350 Posts
                      Posted: January 15, 2012, 2:31 am - IP Logged

My bad because I was thinking in terms of "a donnybrook" and the posts in those two threads were respectful of other opinions.

I though you meant this one:

http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/217100

No, not your bad, Stack47, mine...the thread you mention was indeed the donnybrook.

Lep