Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 7:43 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Returning a lotto ticket.

Topic closed. 33 replies. Last post 5 years ago by Epistrophy.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #111442
May 25, 2011
6323 Posts
Posted: January 24, 2012, 6:15 pm - IP Logged

If you were to find an unsigned winning lotto ticket, (worth say 5 million dollars), would you return it, if you heard that someone had lost ticket in the location you found it? Also if they were able to remember where they purchased ticket and the winning numbers??  What?   Eek   Blue Angel

HiFi's avatar - police

United States
    Member #3792
    February 21, 2004
    198 Posts
    Posted: January 24, 2012, 6:34 pm - IP Logged

If you were to find an unsigned winning lotto ticket, (worth say 5 million dollars), would you return it, if you heard that someone had lost ticket in the location you found it? Also if they were able to remember where they purchased ticket and the winning numbers??  What?   Eek   Blue Angel

i dont know, maybe... but i would expect a hefty reward.  they were so lucky to have won, but foolish to drop it and not have signed it... and i would consider myself equally so lucky to have found it.

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
      adelaide sa
      Australia
      Member #37136
      April 11, 2006
      3300 Posts
      Posted: January 24, 2012, 6:42 pm - IP Logged

nah id get a NY high flying lawyer type guy, and  get him to claim it under trust.

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
        Indiana
        United States
        Member #48725
        January 7, 2007
        1953 Posts
        Posted: January 24, 2012, 7:16 pm - IP Logged

No. If you asked "Hey, did anyone lose this winning ticket?", worth millions or not, many people would claim that it is theirs. What if they remember the winning numbers? The winning numbers are available to everyone after the drawing. lol

Gonna win.Big Smile

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
          Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
          United States
          Member #73904
          April 28, 2009
          14903 Posts
          Posted: January 24, 2012, 7:54 pm - IP Logged

Yeah, if I knew someone could prove it was theirs, I'd give it back.
          Nothing good ever comes from something you steal.
          Honesty is the best policy.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

adelaide sa
            Australia
            Member #37136
            April 11, 2006
            3300 Posts
            Posted: January 24, 2012, 8:24 pm - IP Logged

1st thing to say is  how many lines where bought. and as you remeber the winning line of numbers you MUST also remeber the other lines numbers, so what where they?

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297

United States
              Member #111442
              May 25, 2011
              6323 Posts
              Posted: January 24, 2012, 8:26 pm - IP Logged

Yeah, if I knew someone could prove it was theirs, I'd give it back.
              Nothing good ever comes from something you steal.
              Honesty is the best policy.

I think you just earned your halo rdgrnr.   Blue Angel

If I should ever lose my unsigned $100 million dollar lotto ticket, I pray you will be the finder!   Cheers

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                Zeta Reticuli Star System
                United States
                Member #30470
                January 17, 2006
                10348 Posts
                Posted: January 25, 2012, 12:43 am - IP Logged

mcginnin56,

There's been a few posts here at LP about questions the lottery people ask jackpot winners to verify that they are indeed the person who bought the ticket.

There's a number on the ticket that lets them know exactly where it was purchased, for one thing.

Then there's surveiallance cameras.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

B$Rizzle's avatar - a4leds
                  The Ville, FL
                  United States
                  Member #95879
                  August 19, 2010
                  1708 Posts
                  Posted: January 25, 2012, 7:12 am - IP Logged

If it was known that someone had lost it, yes of course I'd return it. You are asking for all kinds of legal troubles if the real winner knows he lost it, then here comes Jim-bo 2 weeks later claming he has the winning ticket.

The lottery commision will investigate it and find out who bought it. You would have had to lie the whole time and the truth will come out.

Now if you find a winning ticket and the real winner has no idea they purchased the winner, it would be hard to find the actual winner if they never knew.

Hard to say in that situation

United States
                    Member #111442
                    May 25, 2011
                    6323 Posts
                    Posted: January 25, 2012, 7:48 am - IP Logged

mcginnin56,

There's been a few posts here at LP about questions the lottery people ask jackpot winners to verify that they are indeed the person who bought the ticket.

There's a number on the ticket that lets them know exactly where it was purchased, for one thing.

Then there's surveiallance cameras.

You speak the truth Coin Toss.

When claiming a second prize for Powerball a few years back, I presented my signed ticket with photo I.D., and SS#.

The first question they asked was where did you purchase your ticket?

A person who legitimately purchased a winning ticket should remember these security issues upon reporting it lost.

The lottery ticket is a bearer instrument. Unlike currency however, if you could prove the time/date/location and other pertinent information about the winning ticket, such as other lines or numbers that appeared on the ticket; You should legally have claim to said ticket.

Although if someone found a winning ticket, then signed it, unless someone else came forward to dispute this claim.........finders keepers.    Lep

adelaide sa
                      Australia
                      Member #37136
                      April 11, 2006
                      3300 Posts
                      Posted: January 25, 2012, 8:14 am - IP Logged

but there is also the question , what else did you buy with this ticket?

often people buy their lotto games, and say the cost comes to $12, they may add 3x $1 scratchers.

thew real purchers may actually hace a habbit of always buying $12 lotto, and $3 of scratchers, and know this routine.

someone finding the ticket would not. and although not proof that the person isnt the original  buyer, would add weight to the case against them.

after all isnt civil court  the  wieight of evidence enough? and not the same as criminal court. where its beyond resonable doubt?

there a lot of variables. and if i was lotto comission id keep it all close to chest and expect claimant to know all the answers.

United States
                        Member #111442
                        May 25, 2011
                        6323 Posts
                        Posted: January 25, 2012, 8:30 am - IP Logged

but there is also the question , what else did you buy with this ticket?

often people buy their lotto games, and say the cost comes to $12, they may add 3x $1 scratchers.

thew real purchers may actually hace a habbit of always buying $12 lotto, and $3 of scratchers, and know this routine.

someone finding the ticket would not. and although not proof that the person isnt the original  buyer, would add weight to the case against them.

after all isnt civil court  the  wieight of evidence enough? and not the same as criminal court. where its beyond resonable doubt?

there a lot of variables. and if i was lotto comission id keep it all close to chest and expect claimant to know all the answers.

Good point savagegoose.

We are all creatures of habits and routines. Those routines undoubtedly would carry over to the way you would purchase your tickets/scratchers at a favorite gas station/convenience store. Thumbs Up

sully16's avatar - sharan
                          Ringleader
                          Michigan
                          United States
                          Member #81740
                          October 28, 2009
                          40394 Posts
                          Posted: January 25, 2012, 8:39 am - IP Logged

Karma, fate has a way of paying you back , so I say find the owner, they will know where the ticket was purchased and the lottery can verify the date, place and time.

Why go through all the crazy lawsuit stuff anyway, they might give you a reward.

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

luckyshoes's avatar - butterfly neg.jpg
                            Pennsylvania
                            United States
                            Member #79502
                            September 2, 2009
                            6395 Posts
                            Posted: January 25, 2012, 8:57 am - IP Logged

Its the right thing to do.  Its the right thing for me to do.

dr65's avatar - black panther.jpg
                              Pennsylvania
                              United States
                              Member #74096
                              May 2, 2009
                              22883 Posts
                              Posted: January 25, 2012, 9:05 am - IP Logged

Watch out for the wanna-be's - like in CT, the guy who swore they were his numbers.

I'd return it but would want to know a few key pieces of information...which someone said something about

the store cameras (good idea if the tapes were running) - I'd want to know the time of the ticket purchase

too.

If they had a quick pick, chances are they don't know the numbers. To get to the very bottom of the case,

a person could always incorporate the services of the Iowa security department's one man wonder.....

Steve Bogle.