Welcome Guest
You last visited December 2, 2016, 2:44 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Returning a lotto ticket.

Topic closed. 33 replies. Last post 5 years ago by Epistrophy.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #111442
May 25, 2011
6323 Posts
Posted: January 25, 2012, 9:09 am - IP Logged

Karma, fate has a way of paying you back , so I say find the owner, they will know where the ticket was purchased and the lottery can verify the date, place and time.

Why go through all the crazy lawsuit stuff anyway, they might give you a reward.

I also am a BIG believer (as was John Lennon), of karma.    Blue Angel

Do the right thing, without expectation of receiving anything in return. Having said that, upon returning the lost ticket to the rightful owner, there should also be an obligation from the grateful recipient to reward the kind deed. Say.........10-20%. Similar to a tip at a restaurant for good service.

Epistrophy's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
    San Diego, CA
    United States
    Member #112369
    June 17, 2011
    187 Posts
    Posted: January 28, 2012, 1:12 am - IP Logged

I also am a BIG believer (as was John Lennon), of karma.    Blue Angel

Do the right thing, without expectation of receiving anything in return. Having said that, upon returning the lost ticket to the rightful owner, there should also be an obligation from the grateful recipient to reward the kind deed. Say.........10-20%. Similar to a tip at a restaurant for good service.

I agree.  There is a scoreboard somewhere and everybody has Fantasy Points going, just like when a quarterback completes a pass or throws a pick.

And I also agree about tipping, and I think that 20% should be the baseline, just as with tipping. 

I had an incident years ago when I found $500 in cash and a digital camera in a backpack that had been left there.  I went through hours and hours of effort by looking up clues based on two pieces of paper in there and eventually tracked them dosaid thwn.

They were a fairly poor family from NM and the kid had been given everything as a gift from his aunt here and he spaced out like kids do and he left it on the boardwalk right before they were due to return home.

They were incredulous when I returned everything including the money, especially when they learned about how much effort I had put in to find them.  The mother was in tears because she was so happy.  She said, "You will be rewarded 100 fold."

Hey, where's my 5 grand? :)

But it really was a beautiful thing, meeting them in an outdoor mall in sunny San Diego to give them their backpack and stuff.  They were blown away, and their joy made my day.

United States
      Member #111442
      May 25, 2011
      6323 Posts
      Posted: January 28, 2012, 7:35 am - IP Logged

I agree.  There is a scoreboard somewhere and everybody has Fantasy Points going, just like when a quarterback completes a pass or throws a pick.

And I also agree about tipping, and I think that 20% should be the baseline, just as with tipping. 

I had an incident years ago when I found $500 in cash and a digital camera in a backpack that had been left there.  I went through hours and hours of effort by looking up clues based on two pieces of paper in there and eventually tracked them dosaid thwn.

They were a fairly poor family from NM and the kid had been given everything as a gift from his aunt here and he spaced out like kids do and he left it on the boardwalk right before they were due to return home.

They were incredulous when I returned everything including the money, especially when they learned about how much effort I had put in to find them.  The mother was in tears because she was so happy.  She said, "You will be rewarded 100 fold."

But it really was a beautiful thing, meeting them in an outdoor mall in sunny San Diego to give them their backpack and stuff.  They were blown away, and their joy made my day.

Nice story Epistrophy, thanks for sharing!

I think I saw your scoreboard increase by 500 points.    Cheers

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
        Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
        United States
        Member #73904
        April 28, 2009
        14903 Posts
        Posted: January 28, 2012, 1:49 pm - IP Logged

You're a good man (woman?) Epistrophy.
        I'da done the same thing but I bet 90% of the people you see on the street woulda kept it.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

San Diego, CA
          United States
          Member #112369
          June 17, 2011
          187 Posts
          Posted: January 29, 2012, 1:31 am - IP Logged

Nice story Epistrophy, thanks for sharing!

I think I saw your scoreboard increase by 500 points.    Cheers

Thanks, and yes, it's always good to have the big Karma tote board lighting up like a pinball machine while trying to do the right thing.  Bonus points.

San Diego, CA
            United States
            Member #112369
            June 17, 2011
            187 Posts
            Posted: January 29, 2012, 1:45 am - IP Logged

You're a good man (woman?) Epistrophy.
            I'da done the same thing but I bet 90% of the people you see on the street woulda kept it.

Thank you, Sir.  Or is it Ma'am?  With a beard like that, I sure hope it's the first.

I guess with my icon it's not as easy to tell.  I'm not even sure what it is - a cartoon penguin that is reading a book or something, maybe going through lotto number permutations on a big penguinic report.

But at any rate, I'm a dude.  Do you know what's one of the best ways to tell the difference between men and women?  Other than some more obvious answers, I like the Stooges test.  Many men but very few women find the Three Stooges funny.  Me?  Give me a nyuck nyuck nyuck any day.  It's not ironclad or scientific, but it's pretty funny and often true.  How is it not hilarious to see Moe twisting Curly's nose with a wrench?

But I digress as usual.  Sadly, I think that you're exactly right in thinking that 90% of people woulda kept it.  Although I think that number would vary wildly based on the many factors such as the geographical location (I envision much more encouraging numbers in places like Colorado and Tennessee, where I've found people to be so darn friendly and nice) and other factors having to do with the finder's upbringing.

It would be an excellent sociological experiment to conduct.

Best of luck to you, Ridge.  May you win 100 fold just for doing the right thing in the hypothetical sense of being in that same circumstance.

NoShame's avatar - Lottery-030.jpg
              Indiana
              United States
              Member #104853
              January 21, 2011
              159 Posts
              Posted: January 29, 2012, 6:38 pm - IP Logged

As some has said (and as recent stories on here have shown) numerous people could claim to have lost the ticket and never bought it at all.  I say keep hush about it unless you know that someone can comeforth with solid evidence that it is their ticket (the tickets have time stamps of when they are purchased do they not?)  You could inquire with the store about video survelliance to help you determine who is telling you the truth and possible playslips etc.

In the end if you can't find the true owner and your conscience is getting to you than you can either slip the ticket to a charity or tear it up.

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
                Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
                United States
                Member #112968
                June 29, 2011
                3850 Posts
                Posted: January 29, 2012, 7:24 pm - IP Logged

Thank you, Sir.  Or is it Ma'am?  With a beard like that, I sure hope it's the first.

I guess with my icon it's not as easy to tell.  I'm not even sure what it is - a cartoon penguin that is reading a book or something, maybe going through lotto number permutations on a big penguinic report.

But at any rate, I'm a dude.  Do you know what's one of the best ways to tell the difference between men and women?  Other than some more obvious answers, I like the Stooges test.  Many men but very few women find the Three Stooges funny.  Me?  Give me a nyuck nyuck nyuck any day.  It's not ironclad or scientific, but it's pretty funny and often true.  How is it not hilarious to see Moe twisting Curly's nose with a wrench?

But I digress as usual.  Sadly, I think that you're exactly right in thinking that 90% of people woulda kept it.  Although I think that number would vary wildly based on the many factors such as the geographical location (I envision much more encouraging numbers in places like Colorado and Tennessee, where I've found people to be so darn friendly and nice) and other factors having to do with the finder's upbringing.

Best of luck to you, Ridge.  May you win 100 fold just for doing the right thing in the hypothetical sense of being in that same circumstance.

the curly shuffle,LOL, the song,now i gotta go find the name of the band that made the song.

is it possible to do plumbing repairs w/out thinking: A PLUMBING WE WILL GO. ? LOL

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

United States
                  Member #111442
                  May 25, 2011
                  6323 Posts
                  Posted: January 30, 2012, 6:02 am - IP Logged

the curly shuffle,LOL, the song,now i gotta go find the name of the band that made the song.

is it possible to do plumbing repairs w/out thinking: A PLUMBING WE WILL GO. ? LOL

That is still one of my all time favorite short comedy's and song.

The name of the group was Jump 'N the Saddle band. Peter Quinn was the lead vocal who mimicked Curly so well.

They first released the song in "83", but it didn't catch on nationally until the next year. Excellent corresponding video which borrowed dozens of the original Stooge's clips.   Stooges   Incidentally it was their only hit.

Love all the "One Hit Wonder" bands!  Drum    Guitar   No Pity!

United States
                    Member #112968
                    June 29, 2011
                    3850 Posts
                    Posted: January 30, 2012, 4:45 pm - IP Logged

That is still one of my all time favorite short comedy's and song.

The name of the group was Jump 'N the Saddle band. Peter Quinn was the lead vocal who mimicked Curly so well.

They first released the song in "83", but it didn't catch on nationally until the next year. Excellent corresponding video which borrowed dozens of the original Stooge's clips.   Stooges   Incidentally it was their only hit.

Love all the "One Hit Wonder" bands!  Drum    Guitar   No Pity!

thanks again,mcginnin56,saved me from diggin through boxes & boxes of 45s,

hmm. maybe i'll do it anyway just to see what else is in there that i forgot.

well not just now, maybe when we get a snowstorm or somesuch.

i'm sure theres some more one hit wonders in those boxes.

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

United States
                      Member #112968
                      June 29, 2011
                      3850 Posts
                      Posted: January 30, 2012, 4:52 pm - IP Logged

yea, my wife claims she hates it cause its so stupid,but she still laughs at it when i'm watching,

RL-RANDOMLOGIC's avatar - usafce

United States
                        Member #59354
                        March 13, 2008
                        3960 Posts
                        Posted: January 30, 2012, 5:29 pm - IP Logged

If you were to find an unsigned winning lotto ticket, (worth say 5 million dollars), would you return it, if you heard that someone had lost ticket in the location you found it? Also if they were able to remember where they purchased ticket and the winning numbers??  What?   Eek   Blue Angel

mcginnin56

NOPE!

Finders keepers, losers weepers.  A winning ticket is like a bearer bond, the person who bares

the ticket and signs it gets the JP.   I would maybe give them the price of the ticket back if they

could prove they purchased it to begin with.  Who know's, had I not found the ticket the numbers

might have been different, butterfly effect. 

RL

Working on my Ph.D.  "University of hard Knocks"

I will consider the opinion that my winnings are a product of chance if you are willing to consider

they are not.  Many great discoveries come while searching for something else

USAF https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime_Base_Engineer_Emergency_Force

US Flag Trump / 2016 & 2020  

United States
                          Member #112968
                          June 29, 2011
                          3850 Posts
                          Posted: January 30, 2012, 5:37 pm - IP Logged

Thanks, and yes, it's always good to have the big Karma tote board lighting up like a pinball machine while trying to do the right thing.  Bonus points.

you used the words "tote board" so i'm guessing you're a horse racing fan, no?

also you're from so cali.

so my ? is, does the del mar racetrack still use the radio slogan "make hay while the sun shines"

thought that slogan was great, when i was there making hay. LOL

RL-RANDOMLOGIC's avatar - usafce

United States
                            Member #59354
                            March 13, 2008
                            3960 Posts
                            Posted: January 30, 2012, 6:22 pm - IP Logged

How do we know that finding a winning ticket was not intended for us and also the reason

for the lost ticket. 

Losing winning ticket = Bad karma

Finding winning ticket = Good Karma

Offering them the cost of ticket, Priceless.

I wonder how many winning tickets have ever been lost and how many of those were never

found.  I don't think the lottery would pay you anything if you claim you lost the winning ticket

even if you knew the place/time the ticket was sold and the winning ticket was never claimed.

The missouri lottery webpage says "Before you do anything else Sign the back of your ticket and

keep it in a safe place.  Your ticket is your only claim to the prize. "  I would add to this list, using

your thumb put as many prints on the ticket as needed so that your print covers every square inch

front and back, maybe add a few middle finger prints as a gesture.

the paper lottery tickets are printed on hold prints very well. 

RL

Working on my Ph.D.  "University of hard Knocks"

I will consider the opinion that my winnings are a product of chance if you are willing to consider

they are not.  Many great discoveries come while searching for something else

USAF https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime_Base_Engineer_Emergency_Force

US Flag Trump / 2016 & 2020  

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                              Zeta Reticuli Star System
                              United States
                              Member #30470
                              January 17, 2006
                              10344 Posts
                              Posted: January 31, 2012, 1:18 am - IP Logged

RL

" I would maybe give them the price of the ticket back if they

could prove they purchased it to begin with...."

Yikes. Doing something like that might bring a tsunami of bad karma upon yourself. From many posts on these forums if they could prove they purchased the ticket you could also be putting yourself in a bind.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.