Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 4:42 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

I just dont understand!?!?!

Topic closed. 48 replies. Last post 5 years ago by THRIFTY.

Page 1 of 4
PrintE-mailLink
Arlington, TX
United States
Member #121691
January 15, 2012
15 Posts
Posted: January 31, 2012, 7:49 am - IP Logged

Quite often, I hear or read statements being made like " I wont play the Lottery unless its at least 50 Mill" or " Once it reaches 100 Mill, I'll play".....

I understand the odds are stupid crazy, but 1-2 dollars. Even after a roll, I mean what are you gonna do with a buck or 2? Buy a donut? You dont need a donut.

Im just trying to understand the logic. Here in TX, our Lottery starts at 4 Mill, so probably 2.25 after taxes. I got into it with a buddy who made the remark. Im like "What, is that not enough for you"? lol

Elizabeth03's avatar - cat anm.gif
    Nova Scotia
    Canada
    Member #9934
    December 27, 2004
    884 Posts
    Posted: January 31, 2012, 8:13 am - IP Logged

I have heard people say the same thing, they wait till a jackpot is really high, before buying a lottery ticket, which I think is really stupid- since they could win a jackpot easily,  And therefore, I bet- they miss out on winning alot of times!!

Dance

dr65's avatar - black panther.jpg
      Pennsylvania
      United States
      Member #74096
      May 2, 2009
      22897 Posts
      Posted: January 31, 2012, 9:40 am - IP Logged

Quite often, I hear or read statements being made like " I wont play the Lottery unless its at least 50 Mill" or " Once it reaches 100 Mill, I'll play".....

I understand the odds are stupid crazy, but 1-2 dollars. Even after a roll, I mean what are you gonna do with a buck or 2? Buy a donut? You dont need a donut.

Im just trying to understand the logic. Here in TX, our Lottery starts at 4 Mill, so probably 2.25 after taxes. I got into it with a buddy who made the remark. Im like "What, is that not enough for you"? lol

Viewing the past jackpot payouts is a logical enough reason for me to continue on playing only when the jackpot rises above a certain amount.

Why should I play when it's 12M and chances are it will still be there for me to play at 100M? A lot of jackpots go out at over 100M and when it

climbs to that amount of money there are a lot of people jumping in to play...and in my little mind - that means more number combinations are

being used up and someone is going to win sooner than starting at 12M and playing all the way up to 100-150M.

Given the choice of a jackpot starting at 12M and a doughnut....give me the doughnut. At least I'll win the satisfaction of savoring something nice

and sweet for my $2. I can even get coffee to go along with it! Banana

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
        Zeta Reticuli Star System
        United States
        Member #30470
        January 17, 2006
        10351 Posts
        Posted: January 31, 2012, 10:58 am - IP Logged

Pure unadulterated greed.

They want everyone else to pump up the jackpot for them.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
          Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
          United States
          Member #73904
          April 28, 2009
          14903 Posts
          Posted: January 31, 2012, 11:04 am - IP Logged

Personally, I figure my odds are the same no matter what the jp is and I only play 2 lines anway as a rule, so I'm in for every drawing.
          And an added bonus is the less people playing, the less likely I'd have to split.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

sully16's avatar - sharan
            Ringleader
            Michigan
            United States
            Member #81740
            October 28, 2009
            40422 Posts
            Posted: January 31, 2012, 12:10 pm - IP Logged

Personally, I figure my odds are the same no matter what the jp is and I only play 2 lines anway as a rule, so I'm in for every drawing.
            And an added bonus is the less people playing, the less likely I'd have to split.

I agree.

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
              Member #4877
              May 30, 2004
              5120 Posts
              Posted: January 31, 2012, 1:31 pm - IP Logged

Dance

PLAY MORE>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

PLAY OFTEN>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>!

JACKPOT$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

PartyJack-in-the-BoxPartyWhite BounceWhite BouncePartyJack-in-the-BoxPartyDance

United States
                Member #111442
                May 25, 2011
                6323 Posts
                Posted: January 31, 2012, 1:35 pm - IP Logged

Dance

PLAY MORE>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

PLAY OFTEN>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>!

JACKPOT$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

PartyJack-in-the-BoxPartyWhite BounceWhite BouncePartyJack-in-the-BoxPartyDance

Right on psykomo.....right on!!!     I Agree!   Party

RedStang's avatar - tallman zps6gf4inoc.jpg
                  NY
                  United States
                  Member #121961
                  January 21, 2012
                  3157 Posts
                  Posted: January 31, 2012, 1:53 pm - IP Logged

Theres a guy 15 minutes from me that won 6 mill in the NY lotto last year.. It only cost him 5$.You never know.One mill and i'd be happy.

CDanaT's avatar - tiger avatar_04_hd_pictures_169016.jpg
                    TX
                    United States
                    Member #121193
                    January 4, 2012
                    1637 Posts
                    Posted: January 31, 2012, 2:56 pm - IP Logged

Theres a guy 15 minutes from me that won 6 mill in the NY lotto last year.. It only cost him 5$.You never know.One mill and i'd be happy.

Had a former coworker that won a million 3 years ago......if that person can accomplish it, so can I...why not spend a few bucks ??? besides I don't smoke or drink, gotta have a smidge of sin in me, why not donate to something that benefits education AND possible financial freedom ?

Stay Positive, Believe and good things will come your way

RL-RANDOMLOGIC's avatar - usafce

United States
                      Member #59354
                      March 13, 2008
                      3968 Posts
                      Posted: January 31, 2012, 3:55 pm - IP Logged

Dizz

The thing that bothers me the most when I see a post like this is why should it matter

what / when / how someone else plays.   I have four family members that have hit JP's

and more is always better.  A million dollars after taxes is not much and unless you already

have everything you need, it won't be enough to make much of a difference. 

Most people are in financial trouble because of poor planning and winning the lottery won't

help them much unless they seek help.   The lottery is a game but should also be considered

a high risk investment.    Most who are not concerned with how much they win are only thinking

about themselves, try planning for the children's children's, children and see how far a million

after taxes takes you. 

RL

Working on my Ph.D.  "University of hard Knocks"

I will consider the opinion that my winnings are a product of chance if you are willing to consider

they are not.  Many great discoveries come while searching for something else

USAF https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime_Base_Engineer_Emergency_Force

US Flag Trump / 2016 & 2020  

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
                        adelaide sa
                        Australia
                        Member #37136
                        April 11, 2006
                        3300 Posts
                        Posted: January 31, 2012, 5:15 pm - IP Logged

here we have a game that the odds are 1 in 54 mill yet they start the ball rolling at 2 million.

personally i never buy a ticket there, and try not to start buying them under 10. not that i couldnt do with  2 or 5 or 7 mill, id love it. but that the lotto org has decided a 1/25th payout is ok to start the ball rolling

if i had more fibre , id hold off till 20 mill before betting but  i cant resist $10M

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297

JonnyBgood07's avatar - Patriots logo1.jpg
                          Connecticut
                          United States
                          Member #61623
                          May 29, 2008
                          20581 Posts
                          Posted: January 31, 2012, 5:27 pm - IP Logged

" I wont play the Lottery unless its at least 50 Mill" or " Once it reaches 100 Mill, I'll play".....

I'm one of those that say that and I say that because i would never want to work anymore without any fear of being broke.The reality is even if its 50 mil,you're lump sum would be between 23-20-ish million....then start the federal and state taxes and brings it significantly lower.

Not to mention I'm certain there are always unforseen things that could drain the heck out of money(possibly developing health problems).It's one of those things where you have to think ahead and for me 100 mil taxed would make me comfortable no matter what comes my way.That's just my unbiased opinion

"No matter how bad things may get, I'd like to thank my middle finger

for always sticking up for me.."

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                            Zeta Reticuli Star System
                            United States
                            Member #30470
                            January 17, 2006
                            10351 Posts
                            Posted: January 31, 2012, 5:38 pm - IP Logged

Just a thought, for those saying they don't play until the jackpot reaches a certain amount (this will never happen but let's say it did), what if everyone thought like that?

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
                              adelaide sa
                              Australia
                              Member #37136
                              April 11, 2006
                              3300 Posts
                              Posted: January 31, 2012, 5:59 pm - IP Logged

heheh i m not saying i dont play for $1 mill, i play a game that starts at 70k and slowly jaclpots, upto 1m+ its just the odds are much  more likely to let me win in that game a 6/38 not a 7/45.

and yeah coin toss they might cancel the game if noone played ,  or change the odds. so too bad there would be other games. and actually i have always been a " im in every draww " type, but only recently decided to  withold money form poor paying games, in the hope lotto  gurus;s get their act together

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297