Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 6:57 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

I just dont understand!?!?!

Topic closed. 48 replies. Last post 5 years ago by THRIFTY.

Page 3 of 4
PrintE-mailLink
RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
mid-Ohio
United States
Member #9
March 24, 2001
19828 Posts
Posted: February 4, 2012, 1:00 pm - IP Logged

I have heard people say the same thing, they wait till a jackpot is really high, before buying a lottery ticket, which I think is really stupid- since they could win a jackpot easily,  And therefore, I bet- they miss out on winning alot of times!!

Dance

Everyone think their strategy for playing the lotteries is the smartest.  I've had people ask me why spent a dollar trying to win a jackpot when I could spend it playing pick3 and have a better chance of winning $50.  If you play every drawing then the jackpot amount doesn't matter but if you only play once in a while, why not play when the jackpot is high?  Facts are if you're losing then smart or stupid does matter either.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
    Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
    United States
    Member #73904
    April 28, 2009
    14903 Posts
    Posted: February 4, 2012, 6:10 pm - IP Logged

ridge, you'll never out smart KY floyd. He's been a hallmark here on the LP and  regarded as the handful who has a sophisticated sensability to him. As much as i disagree with Floyd, most of the time, to my dismay.lol, he's correct...

"...sophisticated sensability..."?  Lmao! (and not at your spelling)

Of course he's correct most of the time when it comes to not spending money.

He's just a cheapskate tightwad and that trait consumes his every waking thought.

There's no strategy there, it's just his nature. He probably gave the same amount to charity last year as most cheapskate libs gave - nothing.

He pinches pennies so tight he's got Abe Lincoln wincing in his grave.

He throws quarters around like they're manhole covers.

He's "allocating" TWENTY DOLLARS to bet on Powerball this year! TWENTY DOLLARS! How'd you like to go out drinkin' with a mook like that?

Gimme a break.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

mrsinful's avatar - gambling problem.jpg
      South Carolina
      United States
      Member #66774
      November 5, 2008
      319 Posts
      Posted: February 4, 2012, 7:19 pm - IP Logged

I think the powerball gods that be seem to have an opinion on when people will start playing.

It seems that they came up with $40 million. It didnt work for me, but hey I guess they did their research.

WARNING: opinion ahead- "Greedy B#$%^. (The lottery- not players.)

Rehab is for quitters.

Uff Da!'s avatar - InCelebration 001.jpg
        Washington State
        United States
        Member #33973
        February 26, 2006
        347 Posts
        Posted: February 4, 2012, 10:20 pm - IP Logged

I tend to think like KY Floyd.  Let's face it, the odds of winning one of the major lotteries are ridiculous.  In all probability, money I spend on lottery tickets will be "throwing my money away."  I budget somewhere around $300 a year for such foolishness.  And as I've told others for years, if I'm going to throw my money away anyway, I may as well throw it at a larger amount than at a smaller jackpot.  I'd rather wait and put $5 or $10 toward a larger jackpot than put a dollar or two in each time.  And if the jackpots don't get big enough to suit me and I have money to spare, I'll just put my dollars toward state games that have better odds.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
          United States
          Member #73904
          April 28, 2009
          14903 Posts
          Posted: February 4, 2012, 10:55 pm - IP Logged

I tend to think like KY Floyd.  Let's face it, the odds of winning one of the major lotteries are ridiculous.  In all probability, money I spend on lottery tickets will be "throwing my money away."  I budget somewhere around $300 a year for such foolishness.  And as I've told others for years, if I'm going to throw my money away anyway, I may as well throw it at a larger amount than at a smaller jackpot.  I'd rather wait and put $5 or $10 toward a larger jackpot than put a dollar or two in each time.  And if the jackpots don't get big enough to suit me and I have money to spare, I'll just put my dollars toward state games that have better odds.

You don't think like K-Y Jelly Floyd, Uff Da.
          You said you're budgeting $300 this year.
          The Jelly Man is budgeting $20, read TWENTY DOLLARS.
          For the WHOLE year!
          And I have no problem with that until he called Elizabeth stupid for betting on starting jackpots.
          I believe he's embarrassed by the fact that he's so god-awful cheap that he comes up with the whopper that it's a strategy.
          It ain't no strategy, he's just cheap.
          He's got fish hooks in his pockets.
          A tightwad.

--Edmund Burke

Uff Da!'s avatar - InCelebration 001.jpg
            Washington State
            United States
            Member #33973
            February 26, 2006
            347 Posts
            Posted: February 4, 2012, 11:41 pm - IP Logged

You don't think like K-Y Jelly Floyd, Uff Da.
            You said you're budgeting $300 this year.
            The Jelly Man is budgeting $20, read TWENTY DOLLARS.
            For the WHOLE year!
            And I have no problem with that until he called Elizabeth stupid for betting on starting jackpots.
            I believe he's embarrassed by the fact that he's so god-awful cheap that he comes up with the whopper that it's a strategy.
            It ain't no strategy, he's just cheap.
            He's got fish hooks in his pockets.
            A tightwad.

LOL, Rdgrnr, don't think "'cheap," think "thrifty."   Don't think "tightwad," think "highly discriminating."

My $300 is for all lotteries for the year, including state lotto and the state pick-5.  As I understood it (and I might not have it right, as I haven't seen his direct statement) Mister Floyd said he'd only spend about $20 on Powerball this year.  I might not spend any more than that on Powerball myself now that they raised the price!  I considered dropping Powerball altogether, but will probably still buy tickets when the jackpot is in the higher ranges.  I won't even consider doing so until the cash value is at least $150 million, but even then if the odds to jackpot ratio look more favorable in Mega Millions, state lotto or pick-5, (which they often will be) I'll put my money in one or more of those in a given week. So I guess that's something of a strategy.  I just want the most for my bucks and Powerball will rarely give it.

Oh, Rdgrnr, note that Elizabeth said that she thought waiting till a jackpot is really high before buying a lottery ticket was really stupid.  So I guess you think it is okay for her to call people like me and KY who wait "stupid"?

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
              United States
              Member #73904
              April 28, 2009
              14903 Posts
              Posted: February 5, 2012, 12:12 am - IP Logged

LOL, Rdgrnr, don't think "'cheap," think "thrifty."   Don't think "tightwad," think "highly discriminating."

My $300 is for all lotteries for the year, including state lotto and the state pick-5.  As I understood it (and I might not have it right, as I haven't seen his direct statement) Mister Floyd said he'd only spend about $20 on Powerball this year.  I might not spend any more than that on Powerball myself now that they raised the price!  I considered dropping Powerball altogether, but will probably still buy tickets when the jackpot is in the higher ranges.  I won't even consider doing so until the cash value is at least $150 million, but even then if the odds to jackpot ratio look more favorable in Mega Millions, state lotto or pick-5, (which they often will be) I'll put my money in one or more of those in a given week. So I guess that's something of a strategy.  I just want the most for my bucks and Powerball will rarely give it.

Oh, Rdgrnr, note that Elizabeth said that she thought waiting till a jackpot is really high before buying a lottery ticket was really stupid.  So I guess you think it is okay for her to call people like me and KY who wait "stupid"?

Chivalry isn't completely dead yet, Uff Da.

I may tend to give the ladies a wider berth and more ample latitude than the men as is my wont and custom.

But I loves my wimmins.

--Edmund Burke

CDanaT's avatar - tiger avatar_04_hd_pictures_169016.jpg
                TX
                United States
                Member #121193
                January 4, 2012
                1637 Posts
                Posted: February 5, 2012, 12:17 am - IP Logged

I may tend to give the ladies a wider berth and more ample latitude than the men as is my wont and custom.

But I loves my wimmins.

and now the jackpot rolled to 250 Million you get to spend even more on em Rdg !!!!!  after you and/or I win

Stay Positive, Believe and good things will come your way

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                  United States
                  Member #73904
                  April 28, 2009
                  14903 Posts
                  Posted: February 5, 2012, 12:23 am - IP Logged

and now the jackpot rolled to 250 Million you get to spend even more on em Rdg !!!!!  after you and/or I win

$250 Million? Holy Moly! I think I'll throw another couple hundred on it!

(There is weeping, the gnashing of teeth and the clutching of a wallet somewhere in NY)

--Edmund Burke

CDanaT's avatar - tiger avatar_04_hd_pictures_169016.jpg
                    TX
                    United States
                    Member #121193
                    January 4, 2012
                    1637 Posts
                    Posted: February 5, 2012, 12:35 am - IP Logged

$250 Million? Holy Moly! I think I'll throw another couple hundred on it!

(There is weeping, the gnashing of teeth and the clutching of a wallet somewhere in NY)

LOL...not sure who in NY is being "reserved" but theres a guy at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave whos  happy for more  wealth redistribution funding  Yes Nod

Stay Positive, Believe and good things will come your way

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
                      adelaide sa
                      Australia
                      Member #37136
                      April 11, 2006
                      3300 Posts
                      Posted: February 5, 2012, 1:04 am - IP Logged

lol i used  to think i was a tightwad.then i started keeping account of how much i spend on lotto. and keno.

by looks on my sig it was $170 for month of Jan. I aspire to being a tightwad.  or at least a little tighter than i am right now. and I am struggling with the urge to stay in every draw / save up money to enter larger covers when the pots are higher. but then wh have nothing approaching 1 in 175 mill odds.

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297

Kumo's avatar - ebDWVf6 jpg?1

United States
                        Member #122235
                        January 27, 2012
                        172 Posts
                        Posted: February 5, 2012, 1:13 am - IP Logged

Quite often, I hear or read statements being made like " I wont play the Lottery unless its at least 50 Mill" or " Once it reaches 100 Mill, I'll play".....

I understand the odds are stupid crazy, but 1-2 dollars. Even after a roll, I mean what are you gonna do with a buck or 2? Buy a donut? You dont need a donut.

Im just trying to understand the logic. Here in TX, our Lottery starts at 4 Mill, so probably 2.25 after taxes. I got into it with a buddy who made the remark. Im like "What, is that not enough for you"? lol

Could be your friend has just established his own comfort level on playing the game and is not willing to go over that. Even though I play my two sets of numbers every drawing with the occasional extra QP, his reasons sound valid. If it came down to choosing milk for the kids vs. a lottery ticket, I'd choose the milk.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                          United States
                          Member #73904
                          April 28, 2009
                          14903 Posts
                          Posted: February 5, 2012, 1:42 am - IP Logged

lol i used  to think i was a tightwad.then i started keeping account of how much i spend on lotto. and keno.

by looks on my sig it was $170 for month of Jan. I aspire to being a tightwad.  or at least a little tighter than i am right now. and I am struggling with the urge to stay in every draw / save up money to enter larger covers when the pots are higher. but then wh have nothing approaching 1 in 175 mill odds.

Don't aspire to be a tightwad savagegoose. Nobody likes a tightwad, they don't even like themselves.

There's a vast chasm between being reasonably and sensibly frugal and being a chiseling tightwad and miserly skinflint cheapskate scrooge.

There's one in NY who thinks the birds call his name every morning (cheep cheep cheep).

--Edmund Burke

Member #0
                            January 1, 2000
                            0 Posts
                            Posted: February 5, 2012, 3:47 am - IP Logged

"...sophisticated sensability..."?  Lmao! (and not at your spelling)

Of course he's correct most of the time when it comes to not spending money.

He's just a cheapskate tightwad and that trait consumes his every waking thought.

There's no strategy there, it's just his nature. He probably gave the same amount to charity last year as most cheapskate libs gave - nothing.

He pinches pennies so tight he's got Abe Lincoln wincing in his grave.

He throws quarters around like they're manhole covers.

He's "allocating" TWENTY DOLLARS to bet on Powerball this year! TWENTY DOLLARS! How'd you like to go out drinkin' with a mook like that?

Gimme a break.

i was drinking when i wrote sensability.

i don't believe he is cheap. I believe Kfloyd is like a robot mind with the least path of resistance or in this case, the most logical pathway for the highest payoff mentality. Logic is good but if logic is eclipsed by the human aspect, then the choice is debatable. having said that, for some reason i choose logic, in general. In some cases human emotion can get in the way of an ideal choice in the long run.. Also, belief systems can get in the way too.

Member #0
                              January 1, 2000
                              0 Posts
                              Posted: February 5, 2012, 3:50 am - IP Logged

But I loves my wimmins.

I smell bias...