Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 9:00 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Proposed Buffett Rule and How It Would Apply to Some Lottery Winners Who Invest

Topic closed. 122 replies. Last post 5 years ago by haymaker.

Page 7 of 9
PrintE-mailLink

Should there be a minimum of 30% tax on long term capital gains?

Yes, the wealthy should pay their fair share. [ 15 ]  [28.85%]
No, things are just fine the way they are. [ 9 ]  [17.31%]
Neither, put in a flat tax for all types of income [ 18 ]  [34.62%]
Neither, I will explain below. [ 10 ]  [19.23%]
Total Valid Votes [ 52 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 5 ]  
rdgrnr's avatar - walt
Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
United States
Member #73904
April 28, 2009
14903 Posts
Posted: March 4, 2012, 1:15 pm - IP Logged

This country is more communist than Russia and China my friend. We do not own anything here.  The Federal Reserve owns the world through debt.

President Andrew Jackson has been the only US president that was able to pay the national debt by printing his own money and distributing it to the central banks.  Abraham Lincoln did the same thing to carry the civil war.  They were both murdered by the money changers ( The federal Reserve ).

You can't bring change without offering everybody a fair share.

When we have smaller, de-centralized government and less taxes, it will be much easier for everybody to earn their fair share.

This nation wasn't founded on the concept of a huge federal bureaucracy telling us what to do in every aspect of our lives and demanding more and more taxes to spend foolishly on things like studies on how men in Zimbabwe wash their genitalia or why Chinese hookers drink so much.

The federal government is there to serve us and obey the Constitution which strictly limits their authority. But they either ignore the Constitution completely or twist it around like a pretzel to suit their needs (like the Commerce Clause for instance).

They have no authority to require us to buy insurance we don't want under the threat of fines or imprisonment. They have no authority to tell us what kind of light bulbs we have to use or how much water is in our toilets or coming out of our shower heads. They can't tell anybody that they have to provide free birth control devices for someone else's recreational sex rituals. They have no right to tell us what to do or where we can go. They work for us.

This country will have the change it needs when it changes back to the way it's supposed to be under the Constitution.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

mediabrat's avatar - 18z0typ
    upstate NY
    United States
    Member #108791
    March 31, 2011
    549 Posts
    Posted: March 4, 2012, 7:04 pm - IP Logged

I honestly do not understand what motivates middle- and lower-class folks to become Republicans.  You DO realize that none of us here are rich enough to matter to the GOP, right?  Not a single Republican presidential candidate or governor or senator or congressman cares about you and me.  The rank and file are merely cannon fodder meant to enrich the wealthy.

I highly doubt anyone here is rich enough to be affected by the Buffett Rule.  Warren Buffett does NOT want to raise YOUR taxes.  He DOES want to raise taxes on somewhere between 200,000 and 450,000 people, which translates to between 0.067% and 0.15% of the total US population.  Why so eager to protect the super-rich?  Is it because we all dream of being super-rich someday?  One effect of being super-rich is that you've got the money to afford higher taxes.  No one's going to be put out by this.

sully16's avatar - sharan
      Ringleader
      Michigan
      United States
      Member #81740
      October 28, 2009
      40421 Posts
      Posted: March 4, 2012, 8:14 pm - IP Logged

I honestly do not understand what motivates middle- and lower-class folks to become Republicans.  You DO realize that none of us here are rich enough to matter to the GOP, right?  Not a single Republican presidential candidate or governor or senator or congressman cares about you and me.  The rank and file are merely cannon fodder meant to enrich the wealthy.

I highly doubt anyone here is rich enough to be affected by the Buffett Rule.  Warren Buffett does NOT want to raise YOUR taxes.  He DOES want to raise taxes on somewhere between 200,000 and 450,000 people, which translates to between 0.067% and 0.15% of the total US population.  Why so eager to protect the super-rich?  Is it because we all dream of being super-rich someday?  One effect of being super-rich is that you've got the money to afford higher taxes.  No one's going to be put out by this.

Media, you've been duped by the media, the richest men in this country who continue to get richer,

Warren Buffet, and Bill Gates are both Liberal Democrats, The amount of money you have, does not dictate a political party, Most Conservative Republicans are in fact small business owners.

Pick any CEO, Out of the wall street line up and chances are you'll find a liberal Democrat, pick any mega rich movie star, George Clooney, and friends and you will find they are in fact Liberal Democrats.

Conservative Republicans, are people who believe in personal responsibilty, limited government and the Constitution,  Republicans are against Monarchys and dictatorships.

The Majority of Liberal Democrats in office are actually Progressives, Progressives believe we are to stupid to take care of our selves and that they must make all our decisions for us, and by the way, they also feel entitled to as much of our money as they can get.

Because the liberal dems, control the media, abc. cbs, nbc, they will tell you about the rich bad repubs, when in fact they are mega rich themselves.

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
        United States
        Member #73904
        April 28, 2009
        14903 Posts
        Posted: March 4, 2012, 9:23 pm - IP Logged

I Agree!     Excellently articulated.

--Edmund Burke

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
          United States
          Member #73904
          April 28, 2009
          14903 Posts
          Posted: March 4, 2012, 9:36 pm - IP Logged

I'm guessing you're pretty young, mediabrat.

You've fallen into the trap. You took the bait.

"We'll make all of our lives better and we'll make those guys over there pay for it!"

No.

It's a classic lie and it just doesn't work.

It destroys.

--Edmund Burke

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
            United States
            Member #73904
            April 28, 2009
            14903 Posts
            Posted: March 4, 2012, 10:00 pm - IP Logged

The United States is a Republic - but, how long do we have? About the time our original 13 states adopted their new constitution in 1787, Alexander Tyler, a Scottish history professor at the University of Edinburgh, had this to say about the fall of the Athenian Republic some 2,000 years prior: 'A democracy is always temporary in nature; it simply cannot exist as a permanent form of government. A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates who promise the most benefits from the public treasury, with the result that every democracy will finally collapse due to loose fiscal policy, which is always followed by a dictatorship.' 'The average age of the worlds greatest civilizations from the beginning of history, has been about 200 years. During those 200 years, these nations always progressed through the following sequence:

1. From bondage to spiritual faith;
            2. From spiritual faith to great courage;
            3. From courage to liberty;
            4. From liberty to abundance;
            5. From abundance to complacency;
            6. From complacency to apathy;
            7. From apathy to dependence;
            8. From dependence back into bondage .'

--Edmund Burke

CDanaT's avatar - tiger avatar_04_hd_pictures_169016.jpg
              TX
              United States
              Member #121193
              January 4, 2012
              1637 Posts
              Posted: March 4, 2012, 10:07 pm - IP Logged

Media, it goes like this.The following is done IMHO...Coming from a law enforcement background all my life and a member of the lower-middle class. It goes to a belief in being self relient and responsible for ones actions. Having personal integrity with morals and understanding the true meaning of friendship. See, I was raised where your word is your bond and when you tell a neighbor or a friend that you will be there or help them do something then YOU SHOW UP & DO IT ON TIME, giving it your best effort.....Not make false promises and tell stories to pretend you are something more than what you are NOT. The left wing liberals and many of the uber rich are not that way. They are only committed to power,money and control. If they get get caught doing wrong deeds, they ask for favors or give favors by monetary donations or appointments into positions of authority or power. Most politicians fall into this category as well. Their words have double or triple meanings, one day they are a progressive (Romney on tape in 2001), the next they are a conservative Republican (Romney now). Look at OBAMA and his statements of closing GITMO by 2010.. Has he ??..nope and he never will because he and the Nancy Pelosi's of the world like the power and control...so they suck up to their special groups of "friends" and need us only in the fall for re election. Without our votes, they are done.
                I know there are a lot of liars and thieves and various other criminals in the middle and lower class but they don't make policy or pass laws.........As far as Warren is concerned, let him pay every bit of his wealth to the government voluntarily.....Nobody is stopping him, except his common sense..SEEEEEE, even W.B. knows that our government is like a body builder on steroids..give me more so I can get stronger and bigger....We could gut all the billionaires wealth in the USA and it wouldn't be enough to stop them from over spending....I am not eager to protect the ultra rich or condemn the liberal poor...what I am eager to do is put our government on a major league diet....
                 Winning the big lottery would make me in the 1%, but I am the kind of person who never forgets where I came from. To me,having the knowledge to remain consistent in your integrity, being a part of the  community and being a good neighbor is what America is about. Wanting control,power and status is not..again, its my humble opinion which differs from many others.

Cheers  Heres hoping we win the big jackpot soon !!!

Stay Positive, Believe and good things will come your way

Ringleader
                Michigan
                United States
                Member #81740
                October 28, 2009
                40421 Posts
                Posted: March 4, 2012, 10:11 pm - IP Logged

US FlagFreedom isn't Free, The cost of losing our Freedom, devastating.

Inland Empire
                  United States
                  Member #118116
                  October 22, 2011
                  316 Posts
                  Posted: March 4, 2012, 10:20 pm - IP Logged

Heck, I personally know so many dirt poor liberals out there! LOL

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                    United States
                    Member #73904
                    April 28, 2009
                    14903 Posts
                    Posted: March 4, 2012, 10:24 pm - IP Logged

Media, it goes like this.The following is done IMHO...Coming from a law enforcement background all my life and a member of the lower-middle class. It goes to a belief in being self relient and responsible for ones actions. Having personal integrity with morals and understanding the true meaning of friendship. See, I was raised where your word is your bond and when you tell a neighbor or a friend that you will be there or help them do something then YOU SHOW UP & DO IT ON TIME, giving it your best effort.....Not make false promises and tell stories to pretend you are something more than what you are NOT. The left wing liberals and many of the uber rich are not that way. They are only committed to power,money and control. If they get get caught doing wrong deeds, they ask for favors or give favors by monetary donations or appointments into positions of authority or power. Most politicians fall into this category as well. Their words have double or triple meanings, one day they are a progressive (Romney on tape in 2001), the next they are a conservative Republican (Romney now). Look at OBAMA and his statements of closing GITMO by 2010.. Has he ??..nope and he never will because he and the Nancy Pelosi's of the world like the power and control...so they suck up to their special groups of "friends" and need us only in the fall for re election. Without our votes, they are done.
                      I know there are a lot of liars and thieves and various other criminals in the middle and lower class but they don't make policy or pass laws.........As far as Warren is concerned, let him pay every bit of his wealth to the government voluntarily.....Nobody is stopping him, except his common sense..SEEEEEE, even W.B. knows that our government is like a body builder on steroids..give me more so I can get stronger and bigger....We could gut all the billionaires wealth in the USA and it wouldn't be enough to stop them from over spending....I am not eager to protect the ultra rich or condemn the liberal poor...what I am eager to do is put our government on a major league diet....
                       Winning the big lottery would make me in the 1%, but I am the kind of person who never forgets where I came from. To me,having the knowledge to remain consistent in your integrity, being a part of the  community and being a good neighbor is what America is about. Wanting control,power and status is not..again, its my humble opinion which differs from many others.

Cheers  Heres hoping we win the big jackpot soon !!!

I agree, CD.

I wonder why Warren waited all this time (just before his dirt-nap) to want to give the government a lot more of his (and our) money?

Why didn't he want to give it away when he was younger and had all that ungodly fortune just sitting in vaults collecting dust?

Greed, that's why.

Greed motivated him then.

Guilt motivates him now.

Not our problem.

When I win the JP, I don't want to give Obama more of it to fritter away just cuz Buffet thought it would be a good idea.

--Edmund Burke

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
                      Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
                      United States
                      Member #112968
                      June 29, 2011
                      3854 Posts
                      Posted: March 4, 2012, 10:29 pm - IP Logged

US FlagFreedom isn't Free, The cost of losing our Freedom, devastating.

Sully16,

thats priceless, 

Abe Lincoln: "we are the world's last best hope"

translation:when we are done, the worlds done,

what other country cares about the rest of the world ?

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

Ringleader
                        Michigan
                        United States
                        Member #81740
                        October 28, 2009
                        40421 Posts
                        Posted: March 4, 2012, 10:32 pm - IP Logged

Sully16,

thats priceless, 

Abe Lincoln: "we are the world's last best hope"

translation:when we are done, the worlds done,

what other country cares about the rest of the world ?

So very true.

Big WTG, Ridge, CDanaT and Haymaker. Well said Gentlemen.

CDanaT's avatar - tiger avatar_04_hd_pictures_169016.jpg
                          TX
                          United States
                          Member #121193
                          January 4, 2012
                          1637 Posts
                          Posted: March 4, 2012, 10:41 pm - IP Logged

Kudos to Sully, Ridge & Hay........Great input folks... Now we have given our humble opinions based on personal knowledge and beliefs and facts...I do believe its time for anyone of us to win a jackpot......Cheers....God bless the USA and our troopsPatriot

Stay Positive, Believe and good things will come your way

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
                            Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
                            United States
                            Member #112968
                            June 29, 2011
                            3854 Posts
                            Posted: March 4, 2012, 10:44 pm - IP Logged

Kudos to Sully, Ridge & Hay........Great input folks... Now we have given our humble opinions based on personal knowledge and beliefs and facts...I do believe its time for anyone of us to win a jackpot......Cheers....God bless the USA and our troopsPatriot

Cheers hay, barkeep, take that outta here, Smile

US Flag

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

Piaceri's avatar - sarsony1
                              Republic of Texas
                              United States
                              Member #57557
                              January 9, 2008
                              1095 Posts
                              Posted: March 4, 2012, 10:46 pm - IP Logged

LOL, my fave posters with more common sense than all the liberals in DC combined... oh heck, thow in all the liberals on the west coast with the DC liberals and they still don't have more common sense than Ridge, Sully, CDanaT, and Haymaker... Patriot

face

singlewinnersinglewinnersinglewinner