Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 10:55 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

$ spent on lottery

Topic closed. 48 replies. Last post 5 years ago by ohfive.

Page 1 of 4
PrintE-mailLink
haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
United States
Member #112968
June 29, 2011
3856 Posts
Posted: February 23, 2012, 7:00 pm - IP Logged

just seen on LCML. americans spend $57 billion on lottery yearly,my share is  $800.00 give or take,whats yours ?

thats 9 zeros, $57,000,000,000.

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
    Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
    United States
    Member #73904
    April 28, 2009
    14903 Posts
    Posted: February 23, 2012, 7:19 pm - IP Logged

just seen on LCML. americans spend $57 billion on lottery yearly,my share is  $800.00 give or take,whats yours ?

Can't rightly say cuz I don't rightly know.

And the answerin' of the question would run counter to the old gambler's advice:

"Never count your money when you're sittin' at the table, there'll be time enough for countin' when the dealin's done."

And since I buy monthly for the month, I'm always at the table.

And it'd feel like bad luck to me anyway if I thought I was spendin' too much cuz there's another old sayin' - "Scared money never wins."

So as long as I got whiskey and vittles and enough buckets for all the holes in the roof, I'm good.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

garyo1954's avatar - garyo
      Dallas, Texas
      United States
      Member #4549
      May 2, 2004
      1701 Posts
      Posted: February 23, 2012, 7:24 pm - IP Logged

And the answerin' of the question would run counter to the old gambler's advice:

"Never count your money when you're sittin' at the table, there'll be time enough for countin' when the dealin's done."

And it'd feel like bad luck to me anyway if I thought I was spendin' too much cuz there's another old sayin' - "Scared money never wins."

So as long as I got whiskey and vittles and enough buckets for all the holes in the roof, I'm good.

Amen, Brother Ridge.

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
        adelaide sa
        Australia
        Member #37136
        April 11, 2006
        3300 Posts
        Posted: February 23, 2012, 8:25 pm - IP Logged

hey im not an american but i started a sig file so i could advertise my losses investments. and returns.

was shocked after january $170 down. $40+ up,  but feb is looking positive.  if anyone is a little worried about how much they bet , id suggest writting down every spend and every win. and see where its going.  even after noticing the amount i spend on extras, and trying to lower the amount im still spending over $100 a month, as i like to convince myself, less than i used to spend on smokes

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297

New York's avatar - 103h4yr
          NYC
          United States
          Member #117984
          October 19, 2011
          1843 Posts
          Posted: February 23, 2012, 8:29 pm - IP Logged

"Scared money don't make no money!" - Young Jezzy 

That's right. I lost count too but I really don't care cause one day I'll get it back. Thumbs Up

Long live the lottery!

NightStalker's avatar - 50logo
            East of Columbus, OH
            United States
            Member #120843
            December 28, 2011
            451 Posts
            Posted: February 23, 2012, 9:01 pm - IP Logged

I've never spent more than I can afford to lose.Sun Smiley

Life's Too Short To Be Unhappy Cool

United States
              Member #111442
              May 25, 2011
              6323 Posts
              Posted: February 23, 2012, 9:08 pm - IP Logged

I've never spent more than I can afford to lose.Sun Smiley

Wow you must be in the .000000001 percent of LP'ers who can pull that off! Congratulations NightStalker!     Party

garyo1954's avatar - garyo
                Dallas, Texas
                United States
                Member #4549
                May 2, 2004
                1701 Posts
                Posted: February 23, 2012, 9:16 pm - IP Logged

Same here. I never spend more than I lose. Confused

Lucky Loser's avatar - bucks
                  Texas
                  United States
                  Member #86154
                  January 30, 2010
                  1649 Posts
                  Posted: February 23, 2012, 9:30 pm - IP Logged

Ridge, you're asolutely right! It takes money to make money....and scared money don't make no money! However, a player's approach is also a huge part in how well that money is spent. You can spend lots of money the right way, or, the wrong way. In the end, the ultimate way to play is to first focus on recovering the initial wager cost. Then, the remainder will be profit even it's $50 or so. A player can only get ahead by CONSISTENTLY RECOVERING the initial amount wagered. Thus, the remainder will always be profit. Even if it's not very much, at least they're not losing in the end.

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
                    adelaide sa
                    Australia
                    Member #37136
                    April 11, 2006
                    3300 Posts
                    Posted: February 23, 2012, 10:03 pm - IP Logged

well my original plan was to be in every draw for as small a bet as possible. i have a few groups i  play with that does that. 1 with 4family, 1 with 2 pals, and 1 with 1 pal.  i run 2 of the groups and send money to the 3rd. 

This  isnt enough and I start putting my own bets on the side.  this is where my account keeping is coming in, i see the regular bets as necessities, and these extra bets as unnecessary.  I see winning as luck. and being in the game as a requirement to " get lucky "

i do try and make other bets i make cover numbers not in my regular syndicates.

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297

Bigheadnick's avatar - badluck
                      Taunton, Ma
                      United States
                      Member #123005
                      February 11, 2012
                      136 Posts
                      Posted: February 24, 2012, 1:42 am - IP Logged

Well, the wife would say too much. I say you get out what you put in. So when I hit, I'm gonna hit for too much money to spend.Smile

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
                        Oklahoma
                        United States
                        Member #82391
                        November 12, 2009
                        6290 Posts
                        Posted: February 24, 2012, 8:31 am - IP Logged

I spend just enought to win itWink

Kentucky
                          United States
                          Member #32652
                          February 14, 2006
                          7313 Posts
                          Posted: February 24, 2012, 11:23 am - IP Logged

The per capita spending by the 15 largest state lotteries is $247 so the average spending of an avid lottery player might be over $2000 a year. We also have to factor in that $34.2 billion is returned as winnings and some of that is used to purchase more tickets so the average out of pocket spending is less.

The per capita loss is about $100 a year and I did my part to contribute to that number last year.

sully16's avatar - sharan
                            Ringleader
                            Michigan
                            United States
                            Member #81740
                            October 28, 2009
                            40497 Posts
                            Posted: February 24, 2012, 2:31 pm - IP Logged

I don't keep track, either by what I spend or by what I win, If I always got some dollars in my pocket I am happy.

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

luckymcshane's avatar - Lottery-044.jpg

United States
                              Member #121801
                              January 17, 2012
                              16 Posts
                              Posted: February 24, 2012, 2:41 pm - IP Logged

Stay thirsty my friend.