Welcome Guest
You last visited January 20, 2017, 12:40 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Lottery Scams on Dateline Tonight

Topic closed. 36 replies. Last post 5 years ago by OldSchoolPa.

Page 3 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
garyo1954's avatar - garyo
Dallas, Texas
United States
Member #4549
May 2, 2004
1834 Posts
Posted: March 15, 2012, 2:25 pm - IP Logged

Good point RJOh,

I get my tickets in one of two places. I know the cashiers and they know me. So I'll grab a drink while they run them.

But if it were somebody new, or a new store.....definitely NOT HAPPENING

My greatest accomplishment is teaching cats about Vienna Sausage. When I need a friend, all I need do is walk outside, pop open a can, and every little critter in the neighborhood drops by to say "Hi!"

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
    adelaide sa
    Australia
    Member #37136
    April 11, 2006
    3316 Posts
    Posted: March 15, 2012, 4:43 pm - IP Logged

theres a scam where someone presents an envelope, they " found " with stuff in it.  stamps, coins something possibly worth something. they ask the stooge what it is. then count it.

then a 3rd person comes along, another scammer, supposed unknown to the 1st scammer.,  and positively id's the items as really really worth something.,

they then try and sell it to stooge.

ie 3rd would say if i had the cash i would buy it off you, if you take to a bank it will exchange for. $,,,,,

of coursr its wortheless,

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016  = -1171; 2017 = ?  TOT =  -3596

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= -424; 2017 = ? TOT = - 3318

Bronx, NY
      United States
      Member #124198
      March 8, 2012
      105 Posts
      Posted: March 15, 2012, 5:02 pm - IP Logged

I don't trust the clerks or even the machine scanners (some scanners I notice only tell you that you've won...but not how much).  I ALWAYS check my tickets against the lotto website.  If I see I've won a prize then I check with the scanner....and THEN I go to the clerk.  So by the time I get to the clerk I already know that I did indeed win something and I know exactly how much I'm supposed to be getting.

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
        Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
        United States
        Member #112968
        June 29, 2011
        3857 Posts
        Posted: March 15, 2012, 5:24 pm - IP Logged

theres a scam where someone presents an envelope, they " found " with stuff in it.  stamps, coins something possibly worth something. they ask the stooge what it is. then count it.

then a 3rd person comes along, another scammer, supposed unknown to the 1st scammer.,  and positively id's the items as really really worth something.,

they then try and sell it to stooge.

ie 3rd would say if i had the cash i would buy it off you, if you take to a bank it will exchange for. $,,,,,

of coursr its wortheless,

There are many variations of this scam,it was even used in the tv show, the honeymooners,

2 guys in a park are argueing over their invention that cures baldness,

Ralph Cramden intervenes to stop what appears to be imminent violence,

the disagreement is solved by ralph buying their chemistry kit,

which of course is phoney,

then Ed Norton spills the bottle of H2O and Ralph says "be careful w/that H2O,what do you think it is, water?"

LMAO. classic, as funny today as it was 55 years ago.

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

Nikkicute's avatar - nnjx1k
          Wisconsin
          United States
          Member #123290
          February 17, 2012
          3087 Posts
          Posted: March 15, 2012, 6:16 pm - IP Logged

Good point RJOh,

I get my tickets in one of two places. I know the cashiers and they know me. So I'll grab a drink while they run them.

Sorry garyo1954 but that's not good enough! Some have been had their winnings stolen by clerks they

thought "they knew". Please check your own tickets and don't count on clerks alone to see if you won anything.

kyokushin187's avatar - evildead2
            cornwall,ct
            United States
            Member #102636
            December 23, 2010
            245 Posts
            Posted: March 15, 2012, 6:27 pm - IP Logged

that's why when I check my ticket at the scanner and then at the lottery website I would head straight to the lottery office. no need for the middleman(store clerk).

Kyokushin karate a.k.a.

" The strongest Karate"

OldSchoolPa's avatar - Lottery-057.jpg
              Gurnee, Illinois
              United States
              Member #49731
              February 12, 2007
              919 Posts
              Posted: March 16, 2012, 7:15 am - IP Logged

Good point RJOh,

If you ever hear of a clerk you thought you "knew" abruptly quitting and moving to some tropical island, you just might want to look him/her up and ask them to thank you for trusting them to check your winning ticket! 

With all the lottery number information sources available (website, phone line, newspaper, email, store scanners, and radio/TV news), there is absolutely NO reason to hand a store clerk a ticket(s) which you don't know the winning status and magnitude of the win.  And the fact you are here on this site does not put you in the category of lottery players who choose to live in the dark about the particular winning numbers for a given game.  I mean, there are people who are averse to using a computer, so most of those folks still get their news the old fashion way by buying newspapers or even by asking the store clerk to print out the drawing summary for a given day.

But as long as people continue to trust clerks by handing over unknown status tickets, there will continue to be stories about clerks suddenly becoming wealthy and fleeing to Nepal, India, or Pakistan...good luck trying to find them in those places!

Get MONEY!!! Winning a JACKPOT lottery is all the HOPE and CHANGE I desire!!!  NOW give me MONEY!US Flag

The guy who won the presidency in 2008 really won the lottery...he is now millions richer, travels in first class style, and even has a staff that would be the envy of the richest Powerball winner (she has a staff of 2). Every night he goes to sleep, he probably plays the close of Dave Chappelle's Show: I'm rich beyatch!