Welcome Guest
You last visited December 2, 2016, 2:44 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Can Powerball go back to $1.00??

Topic closed. 25 replies. Last post 5 years ago by CDanaT.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
Member #4877
May 30, 2004
5112 Posts
Posted: March 17, 2012, 5:59 am - IP Logged

"This smells a bit like Enron."

It smells like Solyndra to me.

I Agree!

D energy busine$$ smell$$ like going "GREEN" mak'n sum big "MONEY"!!

Wonder how D polecatition's make so much 4 doing "NOTHING"!!

Jack-in-the-Box

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
    Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
    United States
    Member #73904
    April 28, 2009
    14903 Posts
    Posted: March 17, 2012, 3:43 pm - IP Logged

I Agree!

D energy busine$$ smell$$ like going "GREEN" mak'n sum big "MONEY"!!

Wonder how D polecatition's make so much 4 doing "NOTHING"!!

Jack-in-the-Box

Yep, Harry Reid became a multi-millionaire after getting elected to the Senate.

Amazing how that happens, ain't it?

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

LottoMomma's avatar - strawberry
      Michigan
      United States
      Member #100025
      November 4, 2010
      158 Posts
      Posted: March 18, 2012, 12:22 am - IP Logged

I hope it goes back to a $1 a ticket.. personally I am boycotting it.. refusing to pay $2.  I don't think they increased the jackpots enough to warrant that increase and I KNOW alot of other folks that are boycotting it as well.. I think if enough were to boycott it, they would consider setting it back?  What do you think?

LottoMomma

Thumbs Down

maximumfun's avatar - Lottery-030.jpg
        Lavender Rocket

United States
        Member #124616
        March 16, 2012
        2642 Posts
        Posted: March 18, 2012, 12:45 am - IP Logged

I hope it goes back to a $1 a ticket.. personally I am boycotting it.. refusing to pay $2.  I don't think they increased the jackpots enough to warrant that increase and I KNOW alot of other folks that are boycotting it as well.. I think if enough were to boycott it, they would consider setting it back?  What do you think?

LottoMomma

Thumbs Down

I think all my friends are boycotting the raise in price.  But since we WERE playing with the powerplay option, now we just play without the powerplay, thus making us spend the same amount per ticket.  For us, we have actually started playing LESS lines per game. 

Each of us were playing 1 line of chosen numbers and 4 quick picks all with powerplay, costing 10$ per ticket...

now we have only 1 of us (6 in total) that still does that (15$ per ticket), 3 play 4 lines with powerplay (12$ per ticket), 1 plays 3 lines with powerplay (9$ per ticket) and 1 (me) now only plays 1 line (2$ per ticket)...

so if we are anywhere close to how America as a whole is playing... prior to game change we were playing (6*10) 60$, now we are playing (15+(3*12)+9+2) 62$, with a SMALL net gain of 2$ per 21 lines played or 9.5 cents increase per line played... 

hopefully with a bigger statistical sample the numbers will run more in the favor of the increase...

HiFi's avatar - police

United States
          Member #3792
          February 21, 2004
          198 Posts
          Posted: March 18, 2012, 12:48 am - IP Logged

i hope it does, i have not won anything since the change, despite the marketing of better odds.

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
            Indiana
            United States
            Member #48725
            January 7, 2007
            1953 Posts
            Posted: March 18, 2012, 7:55 am - IP Logged

You can tell by the number of $10M minimum increases that this game absolutely sucks now. Did they really think increasing the starting jackpot from $20M to $40M, but only cutting the odds down from 195,000,000:1 to 175,000,000:1 was justified?

Gonna win.Big Smile

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
              Texas
              United States
              Member #55889
              October 23, 2007
              5586 Posts
              Posted: March 18, 2012, 10:41 am - IP Logged

This is just the beginning. State lotteries are coming out with new games that are $2 a ticket. They all want to make more money and the trick is for them to make it appear that the odds are better, or it will be easier to "win", (meaning the lowest prizes).

Like they said on PB's website, they watch people play scratchers that cost as much as $50, and they figure people will eventually come around and pop 2 bucks for a chance at millions. But now that they have gone to 2 dollars, they ain't going back to 1.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

New York
                United States
                Member #124416
                March 13, 2012
                18 Posts
                Posted: March 18, 2012, 11:50 am - IP Logged

I want to win the lottery before all of them become $2. I used to buy $5 powerball per draw, but now I just get one with powerplay which costs $3 now.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                  mid-Ohio
                  United States
                  Member #9
                  March 24, 2001
                  19813 Posts
                  Posted: March 18, 2012, 2:42 pm - IP Logged

You can tell by the number of $10M minimum increases that this game absolutely sucks now. Did they really think increasing the starting jackpot from $20M to $40M, but only cutting the odds down from 195,000,000:1 to 175,000,000:1 was justified?

Did they really think........

You betcha and they probably had a team of consultants on human behavior confirm it.  Admittedly, they had a rash of unusual hits at the start but they knew that could happen and when ever the MM jackpots were more, it would be a hard sell.

Now that things are settling down and there are only one or two million dollars winners per drawing, PB jackpot has a chance to climb to the $200M+ range where price of a ticket doesn't matter as much.  Remember when PB cost $1 and was only in a few states and reached that range, players would drive miles or pay a service an extra dollar per tickets to buy them.  Now that PB is in almost every state, that money can now go into the price of the ticket.  They are betting they will be in that range a lot more than MM.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
                    Texas
                    United States
                    Member #55889
                    October 23, 2007
                    5586 Posts
                    Posted: March 19, 2012, 8:26 am - IP Logged

Did they really think........

You betcha and they probably had a team of consultants on human behavior confirm it.  Admittedly, they had a rash of unusual hits at the start but they knew that could happen and when ever the MM jackpots were more, it would be a hard sell.

Now that things are settling down and there are only one or two million dollars winners per drawing, PB jackpot has a chance to climb to the $200M+ range where price of a ticket doesn't matter as much.  Remember when PB cost $1 and was only in a few states and reached that range, players would drive miles or pay a service an extra dollar per tickets to buy them.  Now that PB is in almost every state, that money can now go into the price of the ticket.  They are betting they will be in that range a lot more than MM.

Once MM is hit then PB will start climbing ahead of MM, as long as it doesn't keep getting hit every few draws. Eventually we will see PB go over $200 mil. That will be the real test to see how people spend their money compared to MM.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

CDanaT's avatar - tiger avatar_04_hd_pictures_169016.jpg
                      TX
                      United States
                      Member #121193
                      January 4, 2012
                      1637 Posts
                      Posted: March 19, 2012, 11:03 am - IP Logged

Can it go back ?   Oh sure and definitely should

Will it go back ?  Don't think so......depending on number of sales, they may have done a no no at this time by doubling the price with this economy.

Stay Positive, Believe and good things will come your way