Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 2:47 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Is Gambling Wrong?

Topic closed. 56 replies. Last post 5 years ago by rdgrnr.

Page 3 of 4
PrintE-mailLink
time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
Member #13130
March 30, 2005
2171 Posts
Posted: March 22, 2012, 12:59 pm - IP Logged

LP members, I receive a call today from a programmer, we discussed ideas, I wanted to know if  he would be able to put together this system that I have.  Shortly after, the intial talk, we had a skype call, I proceeded to show him what I was working with, keep in mind I thought we were about to get down to business, then all of a sudden he said, that he couldn't do it.  "His personal beliefs wouln't allow him to doing anything with respect to gambling"  I simply replied that I respect his decision , and told him thanks anyway.

His reply had me seriously thinking, so my question to you is do you feel gambling is wrong?

Help me out LP, because now I feel bad for doing something I enjoy.

Why would people on a lottery site think gambling is wrong? Crazy

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

United States
    Member #111442
    May 25, 2011
    6323 Posts
    Posted: March 22, 2012, 1:10 pm - IP Logged

Wouldn't that be like a "conspiracy" website, where someone questions if maybe there may not be a conspiracy?    Argue

trap574's avatar - Lottery-063.jpg
      Adk NY
      United States
      Member #108847
      April 1, 2011
      1619 Posts
      Posted: March 22, 2012, 1:13 pm - IP Logged

Gambling wrong?=picking the right no# and not playing it! I gamble wrong often,lol

SergeM's avatar - slow icon.png
        Economy class
        Belgium
        Member #123700
        February 27, 2012
        4035 Posts
        Posted: March 22, 2012, 1:27 pm - IP Logged

LP members, I receive a call today from a programmer, we discussed ideas, I wanted to know if  he would be able to put together this system that I have.  Shortly after, the intial talk, we had a skype call, I proceeded to show him what I was working with, keep in mind I thought we were about to get down to business, then all of a sudden he said, that he couldn't do it.  "His personal beliefs wouln't allow him to doing anything with respect to gambling"  I simply replied that I respect his decision , and told him thanks anyway.

His reply had me seriously thinking, so my question to you is do you feel gambling is wrong?

Why don't you post which operating system is on your computer?

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
          Member #13130
          March 30, 2005
          2171 Posts
          Posted: March 22, 2012, 1:33 pm - IP Logged

Wouldn't that be like a "conspiracy" website, where someone questions if maybe there may not be a conspiracy?    Argue

No, it'd be more like holding up a sign saying "Keep the gov'ts hands off my Medicare". LOL

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
          Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

United Kingdom
            Member #122950
            February 10, 2012
            85 Posts
            Posted: March 22, 2012, 4:23 pm - IP Logged

Gambling is only right if I win the jackpot.

Suspiciousness is one way of saying that one do not want to know the truth. It is the best way to keep the mind empty and the spirit restless.

JAP69's avatar - alas
              South Carolina
              United States
              Member #6
              November 4, 2001
              8790 Posts
              Posted: March 22, 2012, 4:42 pm - IP Logged

"Help me out LP, because now I feel bad for doing something I enjoy."

It is up to the individual what they feel is right and wrong.

There are many things each individual does that someone else may feel is wrong.

No big deal. As long it is not illegal it is not wrong.

MAGA

mediabrat's avatar - 18z0typ
                upstate NY
                United States
                Member #108791
                March 31, 2011
                549 Posts
                Posted: March 22, 2012, 4:51 pm - IP Logged

Why don't you post which operating system is on your computer?

How on earth would that help anyone?

Patriot

maximumfun's avatar - Lottery-030.jpg
                  Lavender Rocket

United States
                  Member #124616
                  March 16, 2012
                  2642 Posts
                  Posted: March 22, 2012, 4:55 pm - IP Logged

Gambling wrong?=picking the right no# and not playing it! I gamble wrong often,lol

I Agree!

United States
                    Member #122477
                    February 1, 2012
                    890 Posts
                    Posted: March 22, 2012, 6:58 pm - IP Logged

Gambling is the wagering of money on an uncertain event. That pretty much sums up the activities of Wall street, oil speculation, and venture

capital investing. Difference is some of these area's are regulated, or require you to be licensed to make those wagers.

Other than that I see no difference. Whether you are investing in stocks, real estate, or futures; there is no guaranteed outcome. With the lottery

you are pitting your educated skills of number prediction, against a state run numbers racket. Professionals usually set a budget that they can

live with, and know when to pull back or cease altogether in rough times.   Roll Eyes  The only thing "wrong" with gambling is that we cannot be more

accurate in our wagering skills, and give the states a real run for their money.    Boxing

Me like

United States
                      Member #111442
                      May 25, 2011
                      6323 Posts
                      Posted: March 22, 2012, 7:01 pm - IP Logged

Me like

Thanks for the feedback QuietMoney.  Thumbs Up

United States
                        Member #122477
                        February 1, 2012
                        890 Posts
                        Posted: March 22, 2012, 7:09 pm - IP Logged

lol...I agree but that doesn't mean that you may have a littlte reservation now and again.  Hey, you never know!

Kentucky
                          United States
                          Member #32652
                          February 14, 2006
                          7313 Posts
                          Posted: March 22, 2012, 7:17 pm - IP Logged

don't feel bad QuietMoney, there are MANY Christians who play ther lottery, a lot of times when they win they donate to their church so NO you shouldnt feel bad. Just don't let the Lottery consume your life. Keep playing for fun...

In some states it's not been that long ago when there was no Sunday drawings or any lottery sales. And when most of the state lotteries were created, people were saying the lottery is gambling and gambling is wrong. There are people in Arkansas that are still saying it and trying to abolish their lottery.

Gaming in general has greatly expanded in the past 20 years simply because states know the people want to gamble and the states can benefit. Someone is always saying doing something is wrong and if we listened to everyone of them, there would nothing we can do.

grwurston's avatar - Cute animals_Spider.jpg
                            Winning makes me smile.
                            bel air maryland
                            United States
                            Member #90251
                            April 24, 2010
                            4874 Posts
                            Posted: March 22, 2012, 7:52 pm - IP Logged

Rule #1 Never bet more than you can afford to lose.

Rule #2 Bet with your head, not over it. (The New York racing assoc.)

As with any sport or competition, study your opponent, (the lottery) learn its tendencies, develope a strategy, and then go 

out and kick its butt!!!

"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra, Hall of Fame baseball player.

The numbers will tell you what numbers to play. Pay attention to the numbers.

Don't just think outside the box, crush it.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                              Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                              United States
                              Member #73904
                              April 28, 2009
                              14903 Posts
                              Posted: March 22, 2012, 8:04 pm - IP Logged

In some states it's not been that long ago when there was no Sunday drawings or any lottery sales. And when most of the state lotteries were created, people were saying the lottery is gambling and gambling is wrong. There are people in Arkansas that are still saying it and trying to abolish their lottery.

Gaming in general has greatly expanded in the past 20 years simply because states know the people want to gamble and the states can benefit. Someone is always saying doing something is wrong and if we listened to everyone of them, there would nothing we can do.

"Someone is always saying doing something is wrong and if we listened to everyone of them, there would nothing we can do."

That's right, Stack, and that's why I'm considering taking a semi-load of bagels to New York City to pass out to the bums now that the city has ordered all the social agencies and soup kitchens to stop giving bagels to bums because they have too much salt in them. 

I'm asking for everybody's support in this effort.

I'm calling this nonprofit outreach - "Give a Bum a Bagel"

Please help, don't be a hater.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke