Welcome Guest
You last visited January 21, 2017, 6:32 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

20/20 Special Lotto Frenzy: Be Careful What You Wish For

Topic closed. 45 replies. Last post 5 years ago by Jill34786.

Page 2 of 4
PrintE-mailLink
LottoGuyBC's avatar - Lottery-050.jpg
British Columbia
Canada
Member #116101
September 4, 2011
4033 Posts
Posted: March 31, 2012, 7:34 am - IP Logged

Watching it on youtube atm.

couldn't find it on youtube

don't mind watching it again

kinda fell asleep during the middle  Bed

"You have to be in it to win it!"

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
    Oklahoma
    United States
    Member #82391
    November 12, 2009
    6305 Posts
    Posted: March 31, 2012, 7:36 am - IP Logged

The Nascar guy will be broke in 5 years. He sounds like he is in total denial about his spending. You could tell that B. Walters was looking at him like "dude, your about to go broke"...

"The Nascar guy will be broke in 5 years" DH said the same thing last night when we were watching it...

I Love Pink & Green 1908

Bronx, NY
      United States
      Member #124198
      March 8, 2012
      105 Posts
      Posted: March 31, 2012, 9:36 am - IP Logged

"The Nascar guy will be broke in 5 years" DH said the same thing last night when we were watching it...

Completely agree with you guys.  I was shocked when they said he had burned through $20 million in 3 years.  THREE YEARS!!!  Other than the Nascar team (which I doubt is generating much money) I didn't hear him talk about any other businesses he was investing in.  I said its a good thing his wife still likes to clip coupons because in a few years, that's exactly what they'll need to be doing to stay afloat.

That girl who was crying over the ticket she had given away didn't really do anything for me.  Firsrt of all, I thought they were going to say she gave away a jackpot winning ticket...but nope it was $250,000.  And this was AFTER she had won $1 million dollars!  Girl please.  I believe she had given that guy the ticket as a gift as well.  Funny how she didn't realize she was missing the ticket until the guy came forward to claim the prize.

I know this might sound incredibly mean, but I'm tired of hearing about that Whittaker guy and him blaming the curse of the lottery for what happened.  Its his own stupidity that cause some of those issues in his life not the money.  I don't know why anyone would give a 17 year old a $2000  PER WEEK allowance AND 4 cars?  My niece is 16 and if I won the lottery I would buy her ONE car...a used one.  And give her like $100 per week.  She'd probably have to spend half that on gas anyway.

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
        Member #121745
        January 16, 2012
        4984 Posts
        Posted: March 31, 2012, 11:41 am - IP Logged

I was originally sympathetic to that woman who claimed she accidently gave away a winning lottery ticket.  But I saw the video and she handed two tickets to two guys...I did not even see any 100 bills in her hands. She also did not act "right"...like she was on medication or something. I had previously pictured some little old lady.

Win$500Quick's avatar - Lottery-050.jpg
          Florida
          United States
          Member #77815
          August 1, 2009
          3460 Posts
          Posted: March 31, 2012, 12:39 pm - IP Logged

There was so many great stories on the special I forgot to mention the lottery pool from California Elementary school who won twice.  I also could not believe the lady who found a winning scratch-off in the trash worth $1 million dollars. Then she was sued by the manager of the store who took pictures with her holding the check and was also quoted in the newspaper saying "They are really good people, they deserved it". Now her bank account has been frozen. There was an undocumentedl immigrant working in Georgia who won $750,000 but had his boss claim the money for him and the boss kept all the money. While sitting in a detention center he sued and won all his money back awaiting deportation.

Guess Who's Back?

Minnesnowta
            United States
            Member #125219
            March 27, 2012
            79 Posts
            Posted: March 31, 2012, 3:12 pm - IP Logged

I missed the show. Someone said you can watch it on YouTube!? What key words should I use to find it? Anyone have a link?

Thanks!

maximumfun's avatar - Lottery-030.jpg
              Lavender Rocket

United States
              Member #124616
              March 16, 2012
              2642 Posts
              Posted: March 31, 2012, 3:20 pm - IP Logged

There was so many great stories on the special I forgot to mention the lottery pool from California Elementary school who won twice.  I also could not believe the lady who found a winning scratch-off in the trash worth $1 million dollars. Then she was sued by the manager of the store who took pictures with her holding the check and was also quoted in the newspaper saying "They are really good people, they deserved it". Now her bank account has been frozen. There was an undocumentedl immigrant working in Georgia who won $750,000 but had his boss claim the money for him and the boss kept all the money. While sitting in a detention center he sued and won all his money back awaiting deportation.

All those stories make my head spin.  It is such a mixed bag of tragedy and comedy.  Much better than 'reality t.v.'

diamondpalace's avatar - Untitled 2.jpg
                Dallas, TX
                United States
                Member #60284
                April 12, 2008
                3856 Posts
                Posted: March 31, 2012, 3:26 pm - IP Logged
                  diamondpalace's avatar - Untitled 2.jpg
                  Dallas, TX
                  United States
                  Member #60284
                  April 12, 2008
                  3856 Posts
                  Posted: March 31, 2012, 3:33 pm - IP Logged

Learn from these lottery fools. Lottery fame is never good attracts unwanted intentions.
                  I hope she never gets her money. It is his now. Cannot claim it was lost or stolen when clearly shows it was given to.

Also the clerk was eye witness and said she gave them away. I see no dollar bills stick to the tickets and clearly shows she handed each a ticket fresh from the machine...The reason why she wanted back so badly was like any other lottery fools, they gave/spend most of their previous winning and wanted more cash.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                    Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                    United States
                    Member #73904
                    April 28, 2009
                    14903 Posts
                    Posted: March 31, 2012, 4:22 pm - IP Logged

Learn from these lottery fools. Lottery fame is never good attracts unwanted intentions.
                    I hope she never gets her money. It is his now. Cannot claim it was lost or stolen when clearly shows it was given to.

Also the clerk was eye witness and said she gave them away. I see no dollar bills stick to the tickets and clearly shows she handed each a ticket fresh from the machine...The reason why she wanted back so badly was like any other lottery fools, they gave/spend most of their previous winning and wanted more cash.

I think I could help her if I could meet her privately to console her.

Does she still have that million? (Not that that's important at all, just wondering).

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

NoShame's avatar - Lottery-030.jpg
                      Indiana
                      United States
                      Member #104853
                      January 21, 2011
                      159 Posts
                      Posted: March 31, 2012, 4:41 pm - IP Logged

Completely agree with you guys.  I was shocked when they said he had burned through $20 million in 3 years.  THREE YEARS!!!  Other than the Nascar team (which I doubt is generating much money) I didn't hear him talk about any other businesses he was investing in.  I said its a good thing his wife still likes to clip coupons because in a few years, that's exactly what they'll need to be doing to stay afloat.

That girl who was crying over the ticket she had given away didn't really do anything for me.  Firsrt of all, I thought they were going to say she gave away a jackpot winning ticket...but nope it was $250,000.  And this was AFTER she had won $1 million dollars!  Girl please.  I believe she had given that guy the ticket as a gift as well.  Funny how she didn't realize she was missing the ticket until the guy came forward to claim the prize.

I know this might sound incredibly mean, but I'm tired of hearing about that Whittaker guy and him blaming the curse of the lottery for what happened.  Its his own stupidity that cause some of those issues in his life not the money.  I don't know why anyone would give a 17 year old a $2000  PER WEEK allowance AND 4 cars?  My niece is 16 and if I won the lottery I would buy her ONE car...a used one.  And give her like $100 per week.  She'd probably have to spend half that on gas anyway.

My feelings exactly on Jack Whittaker. I've heard similar stories on past lottery winners and to me, a curse is a scapegoat for failing to take personal responsibility for your spending habits.  You wanna know a real lottery curse, turn to Hurley from Lost.

United States
                        Member #121745
                        January 16, 2012
                        4984 Posts
                        Posted: March 31, 2012, 4:44 pm - IP Logged

Does she still have that million? (Not that that's important at all, just wondering).

lol lol  I think she might end up asking you for money.  The program made some remark about her range of emotions during her 2 hour interview.

CDanaT's avatar - tiger avatar_04_hd_pictures_169016.jpg
                          TX
                          United States
                          Member #121193
                          January 4, 2012
                          1637 Posts
                          Posted: March 31, 2012, 4:46 pm - IP Logged

ahhhhhhhhhhhh yes, if she could only have only gone back in time and never made her 1st million so public that she was recognized....We learn by our mistakes.....as well as watching and learning from those of others.............No publicity for me...thanks....I will always take the 5th......NO Rdge, that refers to remaining silent as opposed to alcohol consumption.

Stay Positive, Believe and good things will come your way

maximumfun's avatar - Lottery-030.jpg
                            Lavender Rocket

United States
                            Member #124616
                            March 16, 2012
                            2642 Posts
                            Posted: March 31, 2012, 4:49 pm - IP Logged

Ridge - what a wonderful thoughtful person you are!  (sorry - had to take a break from typing to finish chuckling)  Her personality shifts might prove to be a tad encumbering though... even for a thoughful consoling fella such as you!

United States
                              Member #121745
                              January 16, 2012
                              4984 Posts
                              Posted: March 31, 2012, 4:58 pm - IP Logged

My feelings exactly on Jack Whittaker. I've heard similar stories on past lottery winners and to me, a curse is a scapegoat for failing to take personal responsibility for your spending habits.  You wanna know a real lottery curse, turn to Hurley from Lost.

My question about Whitaker is was he doing crazy things before he won the lottery? He claims the lottery caused his misery but was he going to strip clubs, etc. before the win?  I find it hard to believe that if you are that age and don't do those things, you will afterwards if you win the lottery (if you are/were happily married).

And where was the mother of his grandchild?