Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 8:59 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

anonymous vs. public disclosure

Topic closed. 54 replies. Last post 5 years ago by myturn.

Page 1 of 4
PrintE-mailLink

anon. vs. public ?

my state is pub. i want it to stay that way [ 2 ]  [5.00%]
my state it pub. i want anon. [ 24 ]  [60.00%]
myn state is anon. i want it to stay that way [ 11 ]  [27.50%]
my state is anon. i want pub. [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
my state has no lott. i want pub. [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
my state has no lott i want anon. [ 3 ]  [7.50%]
Total Valid Votes [ 40 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 3 ]  
haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
United States
Member #112968
June 29, 2011
3856 Posts
Posted: April 6, 2012, 9:33 pm - IP Logged

jersey is public. anonymous would not stop me from playing,

afterall i play MM and i'll  never know who the kansas winner is, unless they're an idiot and tells us.

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
    Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
    United States
    Member #73904
    April 28, 2009
    14903 Posts
    Posted: April 6, 2012, 9:49 pm - IP Logged

afterall i play MM and i'll  never know who the kansas winner is, unless they're an idiot and tells us.

It would be nice if lottery officials saw this poll and considered it.

Unfortunately for Tennesseans, they couldn't care less what we think or want.

They're still mad at us cuz we caught 'em cheating with the computers.

The last time I called to complain, the lady on the phone said she'd rather have a chronic yeast infection for ten years straight rather than talk to me again.

That wasn't very good customer service if you ask me.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

ttech10's avatar - blobdude
      Texas
      United States
      Member #92330
      June 5, 2010
      887 Posts
      Posted: April 6, 2012, 10:03 pm - IP Logged

I'm currently back in Texas and they have where you can't claim anonymously but you can request limited coverage... so they release your name and where you won and nothing else. You can choose to claim via a trust though, which pretty much hides your identity.

maximumfun's avatar - Lottery-030.jpg
        Lavender Rocket

United States
        Member #124616
        March 16, 2012
        2642 Posts
        Posted: April 7, 2012, 12:46 am - IP Logged

The last time I called to complain, the lady on the phone said she'd rather have a chronic yeast infection for ten years straight rather than talk to me again.

lol - just imagine the quality of her customer service if she had that CYI for 10 years!  now THAT would be sad!

My state is public, they will stay public, cuz they can.  And that is why I play in MA, where you can collect with a trust and NOT be 'public'.  It's an easy choice here, the states are so close you can spit in CT and it completely miss RI and land in MA.

CDanaT's avatar - tiger avatar_04_hd_pictures_169016.jpg
          TX
          United States
          Member #121193
          January 4, 2012
          1637 Posts
          Posted: April 7, 2012, 8:32 am - IP Logged

Imagine Ridge calling up to complain ??  lmao...that poor woman.....I bet she went home and wore out a set of duracells  on her BOB just to relieve the stress !!!

Stay Positive, Believe and good things will come your way

dopey7719's avatar - Lottery-049.jpg
            Midlands, SC
            United States
            Member #69698
            January 14, 2009
            303 Posts
            Posted: April 7, 2012, 8:52 am - IP Logged

My state of South Carolina allows you to remain anonymous BUT if some news reporter or a very nosey person wants to know who actually won a lottery prize then they can request it because:

"The South Carolina Freedom of Information Act provided under Chapter 4, Title 30, of the Code of Laws of South Carolina is a series of laws designed to guarantee that the public has access to public records of governmental bodies inSouth Carolina."

Which includes the S.C. Lottery Commission and below is a snapshot of the lottery claim form for prizes over $500.00. Note what they have in BOLD CAPS. 

You must check ‘Yes’ or ‘No’ for each of the following:

YES NO

? ?

I am the only person entitled to any part of this payment. Claimants receiving more than $500 will receive a W-2G.

? ?

Are you claiming the prize as a member of a winning group? Only one check will be issued. IRS Form 5754 must be submitted for a group. For more information or to obtain IRS Form 5754, call (803) 253-4004 or visit the IRS website at www.IRS.GOV.

? ?

I authorize the South Carolina Education Lottery (SCEL) to use any photographic or video-graphic replication of my likeness or any audio replication of my voice, in any medium (newspaper, television, radio or Internet) for purposes of advertising or trade of SCEL. I agree not to hold SCEL or its employees responsible for any unauthorized use or misuse of my likeness by third parties.

INFORMATION FROM THIS FORM MAY BE SUBJECT TO DISCLOSURE UNDER THE S.C. FREEDOM OF INFORMATION ACT (FOIA). I release SCEL from all liability or claims relating to information provided to or used by a party obtaining information pursuant to FOIA.

By signing this form, I attest that I am at least eighteen (18) years of age. I further attest that I am eligible to claim a lottery prize pursuant to the laws and regulations governing the operation of the Lottery and that all information provided (including the boxes checked above) is true and accurate

CLAIMANT’S SIGNATURE: _______________________________________________ DATE: _______________________________________

Bronx, NY
              United States
              Member #124198
              March 8, 2012
              105 Posts
              Posted: April 7, 2012, 9:19 am - IP Logged

I think my state (NY) is a public state but it doesn't really matter to me either way.  When I win I'm going to set up a trust to "claim" the prize for me.

CDanaT's avatar - tiger avatar_04_hd_pictures_169016.jpg
                TX
                United States
                Member #121193
                January 4, 2012
                1637 Posts
                Posted: April 7, 2012, 9:36 am - IP Logged

Here's Florida's Lottery FAQ section about anonymity :

Can Lottery winners remain anonymous?  Answer---- No. Florida Lottery winners cannot remain anonymous. Florida law mandates that the Florida Lottery provide the winner’s name, city of residence, game won, date won and amount won to any third party who requests the information; however Florida Lottery winners' home addresses and telephone numbers are confidential.

Stay Positive, Believe and good things will come your way

steph219121's avatar - Lottery-029.jpg
                  Dayton OH
                  United States
                  Member #124697
                  March 18, 2012
                  251 Posts
                  Posted: April 7, 2012, 10:05 am - IP Logged

I do not know what Ohio is. Would love to find out. Tried to look it up last night but could not find anything.

Lucky Lady O-H-I-O

NEW YORK
                    United States
                    Member #90535
                    April 29, 2010
                    11979 Posts
                    Posted: April 7, 2012, 10:30 am - IP Logged

I prefer to claim a lottery jackpot anonymously. Although I would prefer that all states would allow you to remain anonymous.

US Flag

PLAY THE LOTTERY SOMEDAY-IT IS OKAY TO DREAM!

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
                      Member #5344
                      June 30, 2004
                      23641 Posts
                      Posted: April 7, 2012, 11:22 am - IP Logged

Let's say these things can be proven...

You live in TN but bought your ticket in another state. Which state do you go to claim?

Do you have to go public if you left TN?

What if you bought ticket in Tn but lived in a state that doesn't require you to go public?

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

four4me's avatar - gate1
                        MD
                        United States
                        Member #1701
                        June 18, 2003
                        8362 Posts
                        Posted: April 7, 2012, 11:36 am - IP Logged

Let's say these things can be proven...

You live in TN but bought your ticket in another state. Which state do you go to claim?

Do you have to go public if you left TN?

What if you bought ticket in Tn but lived in a state that doesn't require you to go public?

You have to claim the ticket in the state you bought the ticket in, and abide by their rules.

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.
                          HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
                          Idaho
                          United States
                          Member #94283
                          July 17, 2010
                          2284 Posts
                          Posted: April 7, 2012, 11:43 am - IP Logged

I do not know what Ohio is. Would love to find out. Tried to look it up last night but could not find anything.

Have the last few OH winners gone public?  If so, it's probably required.

You could try asking them with their online contact form.  They don't always give a satisfactory answer, but you can try. 

http://www.ohiolottery.com/Contact-Ohio-Lottery.aspx

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
                            Member #5344
                            June 30, 2004
                            23641 Posts
                            Posted: April 7, 2012, 3:35 pm - IP Logged
                            You have to claim the ticket in the state you bought the ticket in, and abide by their rules.

We are planning a 14 day drive up East Coast this May.  I plan to buy tickets in every state with the max advance draws going up and coming back down. 

Would be nice to hit in one of those states..

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

Ga
                              United States
                              Member #120454
                              December 20, 2011
                              141 Posts
                              Posted: April 7, 2012, 5:36 pm - IP Logged

I loled at that.It's the best response to a service complaint  I've ever heard.