Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 6:31 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

anonymous vs. public disclosure

Topic closed. 54 replies. Last post 5 years ago by myturn.

Page 3 of 4
PrintE-mailLink

anon. vs. public ?

my state is pub. i want it to stay that way [ 2 ]  [5.00%]
my state it pub. i want anon. [ 24 ]  [60.00%]
myn state is anon. i want it to stay that way [ 11 ]  [27.50%]
my state is anon. i want pub. [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
my state has no lott. i want pub. [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
my state has no lott i want anon. [ 3 ]  [7.50%]
Total Valid Votes [ 40 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 3 ]  
OldSchoolPa's avatar - Lottery-057.jpg
Gurnee, Illinois
United States
Member #49731
February 12, 2007
917 Posts
Posted: April 9, 2012, 7:02 am - IP Logged

I think it is good for the playing public to see the real, non-lottery employee people claim the winnings.  Anyone who wins in Illinois should WANT to move after winning. I know I will, and on top of that I would go on a year long world tour.  So good luck trying to catch up to me and beg me for a handout.

BTW do real people win Publishers Clearing House? You always see the ads before prize award, but never anything about the actual rewarding of the prize. So I just trash those mailings as soon as I receive them.

Get MONEY!!! Winning a JACKPOT lottery is all the HOPE and CHANGE I desire!!!  NOW give me MONEY!US Flag

The guy who won the presidency in 2008 really won the lottery...he is now millions richer, travels in first class style, and even has a staff that would be the envy of the richest Powerball winner (she has a staff of 2). Every night he goes to sleep, he probably plays the close of Dave Chappelle's Show: I'm rich beyatch!

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
    Member #121745
    January 16, 2012
    4783 Posts
    Posted: April 9, 2012, 8:30 am - IP Logged

I think it is good for the playing public to see the real, non-lottery employee people claim the winnings.  Anyone who wins in Illinois should WANT to move after winning. I know I will, and on top of that I would go on a year long world tour.  So good luck trying to catch up to me and beg me for a handout.

BTW do real people win Publishers Clearing House? You always see the ads before prize award, but never anything about the actual rewarding of the prize. So I just trash those mailings as soon as I receive them.

Well I think if one can just take off for a year that is great but a lot of people (maybe most?)have ongoing commitments and could not do something like that in an instant.  For example if you are an artist, you may have contractual commitments two years in the future and cannot just walk away and disappear if you win the lottery. Or someone may be very active in their community and cannot just disappear. Or there are people in LP who run their own businesses and would continue to do so since they have such hard work invested into it.  Or people may have children in a school program that they love or elderly parents. And if one is willing to just drop everything they have enjoyed doing, the lottery money would be pretty worthless in my opinion.  I think as long as their is some sort of oversight (a watchdog/or an audit of the lottery) for anonymous winners, claiming the lottery anonymously benefits the most people and communities in the long run.

United States
      Member #106134
      February 13, 2011
      806 Posts
      Posted: April 9, 2012, 9:21 am - IP Logged

Missouri here, and oh my, if you're a winner here, they'll publish your name, favorite food, favorite color, names of your pets, and give directions right to your front door.  Worst state of all 50 as far as lottery privacy goes.

Although I truly do think it's a myth that lottery winners are bothered/harassed.  If it is true, all you need to do is ditch your phones, e-mail addys, and move to some foreign country where you can live in anonymity.

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
        Member #121745
        January 16, 2012
        4783 Posts
        Posted: April 9, 2012, 9:28 am - IP Logged

PS Forgive the typo...there not their..........Need more coffee.

CDanaT's avatar - tiger avatar_04_hd_pictures_169016.jpg
          TX
          United States
          Member #121193
          January 4, 2012
          1637 Posts
          Posted: April 9, 2012, 10:31 am - IP Logged

Your fallacy is that you assume all "liberals" want the exact same thing.  Either that or you assume that since you're conservative, anyone who disagrees with you on any random issue is clearly a "liberal".  Regardless, you're off-base.

I think you've all figured out by now that my views lean more to the left than to the right -- especially when compared to your average LP member, it seems -- but I'd love it if NY went anonymous.  So politics has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

Neeeh MB, I have no interest in your political views or affiliations, but I am glad to see you voted in the poll. Thumbs Up

Stay Positive, Believe and good things will come your way

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
            Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
            United States
            Member #112968
            June 29, 2011
            3850 Posts
            Posted: April 9, 2012, 11:21 pm - IP Logged

@ sully 16

@ thrifty

@CDanaT  thanks for the stars.

thanks to all who  made posts, Thumbs Up

this anoymous thing is solved in my way of thinking,

but not the last we'll hear of it, so keep voteing.

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

Tucson, AZ
              United States
              Member #122197
              January 26, 2012
              14 Posts
              Posted: April 9, 2012, 11:40 pm - IP Logged

yes, good thinking. last year a couple won the jackpot and they set up a LLC for saftey keeping.

mediabrat's avatar - 18z0typ
                upstate NY
                United States
                Member #108791
                March 31, 2011
                549 Posts
                Posted: April 10, 2012, 1:57 am - IP Logged

Neeeh MB, I have no interest in your political views or affiliations, but I am glad to see you voted in the poll. Thumbs Up

Thank you for that.  It's good to hear that politics need not always rule the day. Cheers

Patriot

mediabrat's avatar - 18z0typ
                  upstate NY
                  United States
                  Member #108791
                  March 31, 2011
                  549 Posts
                  Posted: April 10, 2012, 2:00 am - IP Logged

Missouri here, and oh my, if you're a winner here, they'll publish your name, favorite food, favorite color, names of your pets, and give directions right to your front door.  Worst state of all 50 as far as lottery privacy goes.

Although I truly do think it's a myth that lottery winners are bothered/harassed.  If it is true, all you need to do is ditch your phones, e-mail addys, and move to some foreign country where you can live in anonymity.

But that's exactly the point.  Why should someone have to flee the country just because they won a lottery jackpot?

Patriot

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                    Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                    United States
                    Member #73904
                    April 28, 2009
                    14903 Posts
                    Posted: April 10, 2012, 2:07 am - IP Logged

But that's exactly the point.  Why should someone have to flee the country just because they won a lottery jackpot?

Cuz democrats will come up with new laws to take it away from you and give it to people who vote for them as payback, like unions, welfare scammers and other democrat parasites like that.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
                      Oklahoma
                      United States
                      Member #82391
                      November 12, 2009
                      6290 Posts
                      Posted: April 10, 2012, 4:57 am - IP Logged

Oklahoma release your name and city you can choose to claim via a trust.

I Love Pink & Green 1908

Inland Empire
                        United States
                        Member #118116
                        October 22, 2011
                        316 Posts
                        Posted: April 10, 2012, 1:49 pm - IP Logged

In Cali you have to release your name but don't have to do the press conference.

Call me stupid but I will do the conference, AFTER all the money went to the nestegg and other investments.

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
                          Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
                          United States
                          Member #112968
                          June 29, 2011
                          3850 Posts
                          Posted: April 10, 2012, 3:00 pm - IP Logged

Some years back, someone, reporters i think, went in the dumpster,

in back of publishers clearing house and found thousands of entries in there un -opened.

you know what the envelope looks like, its got them little windows and you can tell if it has a subscription order w/out opening it.

one time i played a trick on em, i took the little stickers that look like the magazines,

and taped them inside the envelope at the window instead of on the order form so it would slip past the machine that sorts them.

i can picture someone at their desk opening the ones w/ orders, WTH ? how did this get in here ? LOL

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

Tucson, AZ
                            United States
                            Member #122197
                            January 26, 2012
                            14 Posts
                            Posted: April 10, 2012, 7:21 pm - IP Logged

In AZ you don't have to do anything at all. unless you choose to.

janem's avatar - cat computer.jpg
                              California
                              United States
                              Member #69399
                              January 9, 2009
                              380 Posts
                              Posted: April 10, 2012, 9:44 pm - IP Logged

In Cali you have to release your name but don't have to do the press conference.

Call me stupid but I will do the conference, AFTER all the money went to the nestegg and other investments.

Really? Is this a recent requirement because I have read many times on the California Lottery website where it says the winner wished to remain anonymous. The last two or three winners had only their first name and last initial listed in the media section. Why do you think it is a requirement that the winner's name has to be released?