Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 2:50 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

How many people just buy one ticket for MM and PB?

Topic closed. 34 replies. Last post 5 years ago by Litebets27.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #122468
February 1, 2012
530 Posts
Posted: May 16, 2012, 11:02 am - IP Logged

Hi everyone,

I'm just wondering how many people when they buy their MM or PB tickets buy just one ticket as opposed to buying 3, 5 or any number of tickets per draw. I still buy one ticket for MM & PB (though I do get the multiplier on that one ticket).   It's just that often on this site I hear of people buying 5 tickets per draw or something like that and wondered if there are many people like myself who stick to buying the one ticket.  Even when I want to buy more than the one ticket per game I always stop myself and tell myself the word "budget", lol.  Okay I know that I would be saving money buy not even buying one ticket per game but still believe you can't win if you don't play (even though people think you can't win even if you do play).

HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
    Idaho
    United States
    Member #94283
    July 17, 2010
    2284 Posts
    Posted: May 16, 2012, 11:16 am - IP Logged

It varies for me depending on where the JP is.  The MM was just won, so I'll buy 1 ticket for a few draws.   Like you, I also subscribe to the idea that you can't win if you don't play.  Then when the JP gets up again I'll buy a couple per draw. 

A guy I used to work with told me that (at that time 15 years ago) the odds were not good for the JP to be won until it was at 50 million.  At that point, enough ticket combos were sold for each draw that the odds were in favor of the JP being won.  So that's kinda the rule I follow.

RedStang's avatar - tallman zps6gf4inoc.jpg
      NY
      United States
      Member #121961
      January 21, 2012
      3157 Posts
      Posted: May 16, 2012, 11:30 am - IP Logged

NY is having a PB promotion this month(10$ gets a free ticket) so i spent 1$ on MM and 10$ on pb. They probably do this hoping they get a winner so they can collect taxes. Sometimes spend more if its over 50 mill.

ILLotteryman's avatar - scenery water_mountains.jpg
        Chicago, IL
        United States
        Member #114234
        July 26, 2011
        429 Posts
        Posted: May 16, 2012, 1:48 pm - IP Logged

Since Powerball raised their price to $2 I won't even buy those tickets, even if it's one. Let them rip off someone else. The only way I would buy a PB ticket now if the jackpot is over $300 million.

As for Mega Milliions, if the jackpot is low it makes more sense to buy the multiplier with it. If the jackpot is over $100 million, I won't buy the multiplier. But to answer your question, I normally only buy 1 ticket...

ILLotteryMan Signing Out

Major IL Lottery Winnings: 06/29/11 (784), 08/07/11 (678), 08/15/11 (056), 08/16/11 (759 Midday + 579 Evening), 08/22/11 (101), 08/26/11 (668), Instants: $50 Wheel of Fortune!

maximumfun's avatar - Lottery-030.jpg
          Lavender Rocket

United States
          Member #124616
          March 16, 2012
          2642 Posts
          Posted: May 16, 2012, 1:48 pm - IP Logged

Hi everyone,

I'm just wondering how many people when they buy their MM or PB tickets buy just one ticket as opposed to buying 3, 5 or any number of tickets per draw. I still buy one ticket for MM & PB (though I do get the multiplier on that one ticket).   It's just that often on this site I hear of people buying 5 tickets per draw or something like that and wondered if there are many people like myself who stick to buying the one ticket.  Even when I want to buy more than the one ticket per game I always stop myself and tell myself the word "budget", lol.  Okay I know that I would be saving money buy not even buying one ticket per game but still believe you can't win if you don't play (even though people think you can't win even if you do play).

I routinely spend 2$ per game per draw.  that is 1 pb and 2 mm so... 8$ per week.  sometimes i do splurge on an extra ticket though...

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
            Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
            United States
            Member #112968
            June 29, 2011
            3856 Posts
            Posted: May 16, 2012, 2:26 pm - IP Logged

I buy just 1 MMw/ mp, my wife buys just 1 MMw/out MP for each draw.

rarely buy PB but i do have 1 for tonight w/ PP.

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

berlin,NH
              United States
              Member #126401
              April 9, 2012
              6 Posts
              Posted: May 16, 2012, 2:38 pm - IP Logged

As for MM...It depends what my budget it is for the week. There's been times where i get one quick pick and play one line of my own numbers and some times i'll feel like splurging and I'll buy 5 or 6. I don't play PB all the time but occasionally i'll buy 2-3 QP's if i feel like playing.

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
                Member #5344
                June 30, 2004
                23641 Posts
                Posted: May 16, 2012, 5:06 pm - IP Logged

ME

Cool

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
                  Member #121745
                  January 16, 2012
                  4800 Posts
                  Posted: May 16, 2012, 5:10 pm - IP Logged

99% of the time, I buy just one PB and MM (with the multiplier).  I am always aiming for the 2nd level prize (but would not turn down the jackpot). I also pick my own numbers 99% of the time.  I have never won any $ with a quick pick.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                    Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                    United States
                    Member #73904
                    April 28, 2009
                    14903 Posts
                    Posted: May 16, 2012, 6:07 pm - IP Logged

I all the time be buyin' 2 tickets.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

United States
                      Member #116268
                      September 7, 2011
                      20244 Posts
                      Posted: May 16, 2012, 6:48 pm - IP Logged

I all the time be buyin' 2 tickets.

I have been playing the same line for the past 10 years. I often get bored with one line and play extra lines knowing that the time horizon for winning the jp with one line is around 30,000 years.

The trouble with playing more lines is the fact that even if you played 100 lines per draw you could still be waiting up the 3000 years to hit a jp.

The good news is that if your holding a valid ticket lightning can strike and you can win on any drawing.

The phrase "you cant win if you dont play" is an advertising slogan that creates support for the state lotteries.

While it is true that you cant win (the lottery) if you dont play (the lottery) 

It is also true that "only the stupid pay stupid tax".

HiFi's avatar - police

United States
                        Member #3792
                        February 21, 2004
                        198 Posts
                        Posted: May 16, 2012, 9:07 pm - IP Logged

i always liked to buy 5 lines/$5 dollars of tickets for MM or PB.  that was until they changed the price of powerball.  now i will buy 1 or 2 lines.  tonight i bought only 1 line.   i used to think you cant have a good chance of winning with one ticket, but it doesnt really matter how many powerball tickets ive bought since january, i think i won 3 dollars one time in that many months.  so yeah, im not wasting a bunch of money, ill just buy 1 line so i can be in the game.

Stormiela's avatar - 170px 051Dugtrio.png
                          Phoenix, AZ
                          United States
                          Member #120254
                          December 14, 2011
                          91 Posts
                          Posted: May 16, 2012, 9:37 pm - IP Logged

Me! I usually buy one quick pick ticket per drawing. I always get the MP, never get the PP.

There are some days like today though where I like to choose my own #s. See if that brings me any dough in :)

KPaul's avatar - f holeavatar.jpg
                            Florida
                            United States
                            Member #128094
                            May 16, 2012
                            63 Posts
                            Posted: May 16, 2012, 11:21 pm - IP Logged

I buy 5 lines QP, but not every drawing. I still buy 5 even after the price increase. I hit for $7 last week with 2+PB.

NEW YORK
                              United States
                              Member #90535
                              April 29, 2010
                              11982 Posts
                              Posted: May 18, 2012, 9:36 am - IP Logged

Hi everyone,

THE LOTTERY 50/50 RULE=PLAYING THE LOTTERY IS A WIN/LOSE SITUATION NO MATTER HOW MANY TICKETS WE BUY.

US Flag

PLAY THE LOTTERY SOMEDAY-IT IS OKAY TO DREAM!