Welcome Guest
You last visited January 22, 2017, 5:12 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

How many people just buy one ticket for MM and PB?

Topic closed. 34 replies. Last post 5 years ago by Litebets27.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #2729
November 8, 2003
18 Posts
Posted: May 18, 2012, 1:32 pm - IP Logged

I usually buy 1 ticket per drawing.

I figure if I'm going to win, all it takes is one. Smile

Bronx, NY
    United States
    Member #124198
    March 8, 2012
    105 Posts
    Posted: May 18, 2012, 9:26 pm - IP Logged

I used to spend $5 on MM and $5 on PB every draw....if the JP got huge (over $250 million, I'd go up to $10 per draw).  After years of doing this and not seeing much of a return (I think I've won maybe like $20 back in 5 years)....I decided to cut down.  So now I only buy 2 MM (one QP and one my own numbers...different tickets).  And I buy 1 PB.  I only buy one PB because I'm kind of peeved that they raised the price, but I still play because "you never know".

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
      Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
      United States
      Member #73904
      April 28, 2009
      14903 Posts
      Posted: May 18, 2012, 10:35 pm - IP Logged

One is the loneliest number that you'll ever do

Two can be as bad as one

It's the loneliest number since the number one

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

steph219121's avatar - Lottery-029.jpg
        Dayton OH
        United States
        Member #124697
        March 18, 2012
        251 Posts
        Posted: May 18, 2012, 11:21 pm - IP Logged

I like to play the scratchers so whatever I win on that during the week I use to buy mm tickets. I a up 5 for next week!

Lucky Lady O-H-I-O

weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
          Mcminnville, Oregon
          United States
          Member #3013
          December 13, 2003
          3095 Posts
          Posted: May 18, 2012, 11:40 pm - IP Logged

I buy one ticket but I have two lines on that one ticket.  One line is my own pick and then the other line is a QP.  Then I put the megaplier and powerplay on each ticket that I play.  Good luck to all!-weshar75

United States
            Member #122468
            February 1, 2012
            530 Posts
            Posted: May 19, 2012, 9:19 am - IP Logged

It varies for me depending on where the JP is.  The MM was just won, so I'll buy 1 ticket for a few draws.   Like you, I also subscribe to the idea that you can't win if you don't play.  Then when the JP gets up again I'll buy a couple per draw. 

A guy I used to work with told me that (at that time 15 years ago) the odds were not good for the JP to be won until it was at 50 million.  At that point, enough ticket combos were sold for each draw that the odds were in favor of the JP being won.  So that's kinda the rule I follow.

It seems we both agree that you can't win if you don't play. I'm not sure I agree with your friend about the odds not good for the JP to be won until it was at 50 million or more. I've read in the last few years of people winning with amounts like 25 million or so. In my state of Mass last year in the last few years have heard of 2 different guys who had won 32 million and 25 million (or some amount like that) on either PB or MM can't remember. For years I would wait until the jackpot got pretty high to play but I also said to myself even at the lowest amount I would be happy with that amount of money. I also tend to be someone who plays hoping to win the second prize paying the extra dollar for the chance to win either 1mill on mm or 2mil on PB. Though I rarely get any numbers so it would be an extreme miracle for me to ever get 5 numbers to win that, still hope though.  I wonder if anyone ever wins the jackpot right after someone has won it. It seems like that never happens.

United States
              Member #122468
              February 1, 2012
              530 Posts
              Posted: May 19, 2012, 9:22 am - IP Logged

NY is having a PB promotion this month(10$ gets a free ticket) so i spent 1$ on MM and 10$ on pb. They probably do this hoping they get a winner so they can collect taxes. Sometimes spend more if its over 50 mill.

I don't think my state ever has that kind of promotion. I'm not sure I would spend 10 dollars to get a free ticket, if they lowered it and gave a free ticket for buying 3 tickets then I would do that.

United States
                Member #122468
                February 1, 2012
                530 Posts
                Posted: May 19, 2012, 9:44 am - IP Logged

Since Powerball raised their price to $2 I won't even buy those tickets, even if it's one. Let them rip off someone else. The only way I would buy a PB ticket now if the jackpot is over $300 million.

As for Mega Milliions, if the jackpot is low it makes more sense to buy the multiplier with it. If the jackpot is over $100 million, I won't buy the multiplier. But to answer your question, I normally only buy 1 ticket...

I also agree that it was unfair that PB raised their price to 2 dollars but unfortunately I'm a sucker and still play one ticket per game with powerplay. It's interesting your theory about making more sense to buy the multiplier if the jackpot is low but not if it's over 100 million. The reason I buy the multiplier is because if I ever got 5 numbers would rather get 1million over 250k on MM so it doesn't really matter to me how much the jackpot is since I would be thrilled to even win 2nd prize and that would feel like a jackpot to me.

United States
                  Member #122468
                  February 1, 2012
                  530 Posts
                  Posted: May 19, 2012, 9:45 am - IP Logged

I routinely spend 2$ per game per draw.  that is 1 pb and 2 mm so... 8$ per week.  sometimes i do splurge on an extra ticket though...

It sounds like you are playing sensibly without going over budget, I tend to be that way too.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                    Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                    United States
                    Member #73904
                    April 28, 2009
                    14903 Posts
                    Posted: May 19, 2012, 9:57 am - IP Logged

I buy one ticket but I have two lines on that one ticket.  One line is my own pick and then the other line is a QP.  Then I put the megaplier and powerplay on each ticket that I play.  Good luck to all!-weshar75

That is the best way to do it, weshar75.

I don't often share my secrets...but that's the way I do it also.

And the crowd goes wild...

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

United States
                      Member #122468
                      February 1, 2012
                      530 Posts
                      Posted: May 19, 2012, 11:09 am - IP Logged

I buy just 1 MMw/ mp, my wife buys just 1 MMw/out MP for each draw.

rarely buy PB but i do have 1 for tonight w/ PP.

Your playing sounds good to me, so if either of you win you both get to share.

United States
                        Member #122468
                        February 1, 2012
                        530 Posts
                        Posted: May 19, 2012, 11:11 am - IP Logged

As for MM...It depends what my budget it is for the week. There's been times where i get one quick pick and play one line of my own numbers and some times i'll feel like splurging and I'll buy 5 or 6. I don't play PB all the time but occasionally i'll buy 2-3 QP's if i feel like playing.

I liked it when you said depends on what my budget is for the week it sounds like you are not overdoing it but adding the occasion splurge.

United States
                          Member #122468
                          February 1, 2012
                          530 Posts
                          Posted: May 19, 2012, 11:12 am - IP Logged

ME

Cool

I really had a good laugh when I read your response, glad to see we are on the same page.

United States
                            Member #122468
                            February 1, 2012
                            530 Posts
                            Posted: May 19, 2012, 11:18 am - IP Logged

99% of the time, I buy just one PB and MM (with the multiplier).  I am always aiming for the 2nd level prize (but would not turn down the jackpot). I also pick my own numbers 99% of the time.  I have never won any $ with a quick pick.

It seems we are very similar in our buying habits. Like you are I am always trying for that 2nd level prize since I would be thrilled to win that (not that I wouldn't love the jackpot but the odds are so astronomical and the odds are not as astronomical to get 5 numbers but still hard). Unlike yourself I tend to do quick picks have only picked my numbers a few times, starting to think I might go back to picking my own numbers at some point because I did better those times when I picked my numbers than I have with QP's.

United States
                              Member #122468
                              February 1, 2012
                              530 Posts
                              Posted: May 19, 2012, 11:20 am - IP Logged

I all the time be buyin' 2 tickets.

Can't go wrong with 2 tickets that you buy.