Michigan couple killed after lottery win

May 16, 2012, 1:58 pm (109 comments)

Michigan Lottery

DETROIT, Mich. — Police in Michigan are investigating the stabbing death of a couple, and family members believe they were killed over a winning lottery ticket.

"I just ask that if anybody know anything, just please. Because they didn't deserve this, my daddy helped the community. He would have done anything for anybody. They could just have got the ticket and left them alive," said the victims' daughter Tierra Evans.

Evans believes a winning ticket proved unlucky for her parents William and Brenda.

"The motive was a lottery ticket," she said.

Two weeks ago, Evans said her father hit the lottery and told everyone he was a winner before cashing in the ticket.

"So, it was someone that he knew and he knew them well," Evan said.

"They were a nice couple. I want everybody to know that," said Marcus Jefferson, a family friend.

Family is struggling to comprehend the violence and said that the couple, who were in their 60s, was stabbed to death in their home. Family members also said the victims loved to garden and help in the community.

Phyllis Foster learned the tragedy as she was calling her sister-in-law Brenda a happy mother's day.

"I called to wish her a Happy Mother's day and didn't get an answer on the phone. In the meantime, while I was calling her, someone called me and told me about it," Foster said.

Police say this home is a place where illegal drug deals went down. But the Evans family denied the allegation.

"They were not drug dealers. This is not a drug house," Evans said.

William and Brenda's four daughters are asking the community help turn in a killer saying the murderer maybe someone trying to cash in a winning lottery ticket.

Thanks to w794728 for the tip.

CNN

Comments

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

Sorry, but where was the common sense ?!?!

rad242

Two weeks ago, Evans said her father hit the lottery and told everyone he was a winner before cashing in the ticket.

Enough said. I didn't need read any further. Still a sad story nonetheless.

paradisenow's avatarparadisenow

just evil Disapprove

haymaker's avatarhaymaker

So does the killer have the ticket ? how will he claim it ?

gotta be more to this

mcginnin56

If enough information is known about the winning ticket, shouldn't be hard to nab the killer(s), as it will be just a matter of time, before this

ticket will be attempted to be cashed in.

Assuming its over $600, so ID and information about where and when the ticket was purchased will be required. There should be a stupidity award

given to the culprit, once apprehended.  Bash

ILOVEPICK3

Her daughter kill them to took lottery ticket

Cletu$2's avatarCletu$2

Why would the police say that the house was "a place where drug deals went down",if they didn't suspect the couple of dealing drugs?

rad242

Quote: Originally posted by mcginnin56 on May 16, 2012

If enough information is known about the winning ticket, shouldn't be hard to nab the killer(s), as it will be just a matter of time, before this

Assuming its over $600, so ID and information about where and when the ticket was purchased will be required. There should be a stupidity award

The news report said the culprit/s accessed the house through a secret door at the rear of the house and left behind cash, jewelry and a coin collection. The only thing that was taken is the ALLEGED LOTTERY TICKET.

Stabbing usually reflects a crime of passion. Things that make you go hmmm....

ILOVEPICK3

Quote: Originally posted by rad242 on May 16, 2012

The news report said the culprit/s accessed the house through a secret door at the rear of the house and left behind cash, jewelry and a coin collection. The only thing that was taken is the ALLEGED LOTTERY TICKET.

Stabbing usually reflects a crime of passion. Things that make you go hmmm....

Her daughter kill him and took the lottery ticket period end of story.

mcginnin56

Quote: Originally posted by ILOVEPICK3 on May 16, 2012

Her daughter kill him and took the lottery ticket period end of story.

Sure...anythings possible. Maybe it was their dog. That would buy a lot of bones. ROFL

xaab

Sad but sometime it's best to be hush about it when it comes to money.  More reason for other states to be able to claim anonymous.

ILOVEPICK3

Her daughter heard that her parents win lottery so the fly back and kill them both and took their ticket and fly back to their home and call her parent for happy mother day...

rad242

Detroit Police investigators believe the murders are connected to drugs that  they say were being sold at the home. Sources say William Evans, who is known in  the neighborhood as "Dollar Bill", was involved in the sale of heroin.

"Dollar Bill" - Sounds as though PAPA had a reputation in the neighborhood!

mcginnin56

Detroit Police investigators believe the murders are connected to drugs that  they say were being sold at the home. Sources say William Evans, who is known in  the neighborhood as "Dollar Bill", was involved in the sale of heroin.

"Dollar Bill" - Sounds as though PAPA had a reputation in the neighborhood!

Good deduction Sherlock! You'll crack this case yet.  Smash

luckyshoes's avatarluckyshoes

Well said. Just what I was thinking. Hopefully the lottery headquarters will have their eyes wide open when that ticket gets  cashed !

winwi5

This is a very sad story people are crazy her parents shouldn't have said anything until they cash the ticket in,however whoever killed them they will not be able to cash the ticket in and they are idiots for taking someones life they will catch them

maximumfun's avatarmaximumfun

message:  anonymous.  stay anonymous stay alive, oh... and dont be a suspected drug dealer.  (can you imagine how skewed anyone cashing in a winning ticket will look for a while around there?)

sully16's avatarsully16

I heard they were drug dealers and on welfare, sorry someone had to be killed, wish we had the death penalty here.

B$Rizzle's avatarB$Rizzle

Quote: Originally posted by Cletu$2 on May 16, 2012

Why would the police say that the house was "a place where drug deals went down",if they didn't suspect the couple of dealing drugs?

Where does it say in the story that the police deny the Drug allegations? It was the EVANS family who denied the allegations

Police say this home is a place where illegal drug deals went down. But the Evans family denied the allegation.

Cletu$2's avatarCletu$2

Quote: Originally posted by B$Rizzle on May 16, 2012

Where does it say in the story that the police deny the Drug allegations? It was the EVANS family who denied the allegations

Could it be that I was responding to what the EVANS FAMILY was quoted as saying?Duh!

mcginnin56

Excellent observation. It would appear that this family is in denial.

kyokushin187's avatarkyokushin187

Quote: Originally posted by ILOVEPICK3 on May 16, 2012

Her daughter heard that her parents win lottery so the fly back and kill them both and took their ticket and fly back to their home and call her parent for happy mother day...

Hope u speak better than you type.MY GOD!

mcginnin56

Quote: Originally posted by kyokushin187 on May 16, 2012

Hope u speak better than you type.MY GOD!

Hey kyok! How's the Karate training going?

Could it be that I was responding to what the EVANS FAMILY was quoted as saying?Duh!

Soooo you are implying that in a situation like this, that you expect a family to not stick up for their own family?

Cletu$2's avatarCletu$2

Soooo you are implying that in a situation like this, that you expect a family to not stick up for their own family?

I'm not implying ANYTHING.I was just making a comment on what the police said and what the  EVANS FAMILY said in response.Whats so hard to understand about that?

Excellent observation. It would appear that this family is in denial.

"It would appear that this family is in denial"

Absolutely, especially since any negativity regarding "drug activity", would not gain as much support from the public in finding the killer(s).

kyokushin187's avatarkyokushin187

Hey kyok! How's the Karate training going?

its going great mcginn.were preparing for the 2012 kyokushin open tournament in japan this june.check it out on youtube. Any luck with this elusive lottery yet?i know i'm still waiting and hoping.did win 50 bucs on a scratch ticket though.

I'm not implying ANYTHING.I was just making a comment on what the police said and what the  EVANS FAMILY said in response.Whats so hard to understand about that?

Obviously you were implying that.

OR

You read story incorrectly and thought the police were contradicting themselves by saying: "Why would the police say that the house was "a place where drug deals went down",if they didn't suspect the couple of dealing drugs?

When it wasn't the police who said: they didn't suspect the couple of dealing drugs

It's ok if you read the story wrong. Just don't try and cover it up and make it look like I was wrong =)

mcginnin56

Quote: Originally posted by kyokushin187 on May 16, 2012

its going great mcginn.were preparing for the 2012 kyokushin open tournament in japan this june.check it out on youtube. Any luck with this elusive lottery yet?i know i'm still waiting and hoping.did win 50 bucs on a scratch ticket though.

Wow in Japan! Must be some tough dudes out there. Good luck in that open tournament, bring home a few trophy's? I'll try following on YouTube.

No great luck, a $200 scratcher, bunch of small ($2-7) wins on PB, MM's. Can't retire quite yet.   Crying

Cletu$2's avatarCletu$2

I think you got your panties in a knot over nothing and now you are a looking for a graceful way out.

I think you got your panties in a knot over nothing and now you are a looking for a graceful way out.

LOL nothing is in a knot over here. Seems you are the one getting upset because you made a comment that made no sense, simply b/c you didn't read the story correctly.

I'm not looking for a "Graceful way out". I read at a very high level, and fully understood the quotes from the Police & The Evans Family.

All good though. You asked a question on a public forum, and I answered it. Don't get all upset if you didn't like the answer. Arguing over this is quite juvenile.

Cletu$2's avatarCletu$2

LOL nothing is in a knot over here. Seems you are the one getting upset because you made a comment that made no sense, simply b/c you didn't read the story correctly.

I'm not looking for a "Graceful way out". I read at a very high level, and fully understood the quotes from the Police & The Evans Family.

All good though. You asked a question on a public forum, and I answered it. Don't get all upset if you didn't like the answer. Arguing over this is quite juvenile.

You know,its <snip>suckers like you that make me proud that I'm going to be barred from posting on this site.I can live without this site and won't miss many of the regulars here.Most of them are like you,insufferable <snip>ING morons.There are a few exceptions and they know who they are.But you my friend,rank right up there with McGinin for stupidity.You confuse quantity of posts with intelligence.Nothing about your posts stand out as being intelligent...nothing,<snip>!See ya in the funny papers,PRICK.

This post has been automatically changed by the Lottery Post computer system to remove inappropriate content and/or spam.

Lucky SOB

i wonder how much money is worth killing over?

JonnyBgood07's avatarJonnyBgood07

Quote: Originally posted by Lucky SOB on May 16, 2012

money??...hell,people are getting killed over sneakers and newport cigarettes.

...However I agree that the daughters will be watched for some time.It would be pretty stupid if one of em did do it because as someone said,the ticket has to be cashed.

time*treat's avatartime*treat

Nice of the presstitutes to mention a secret door and also provide a list of items not yet taken, to help out any crooks running late to the action. Should've reported the winning numbers, while they were at it. Roll Eyes

grwurston's avatargrwurston

A few years ago a middle aged couple were walking home from  their neighbors house one night here in Baltimore. A thug

stuck his gun in the man's face and said "give me your money." The man only had 52 cents. The thug shot and killed him.

So, to answer your question, not much.

louise black

Yes NodYou are right that was a odd statement even for a slanted right thinking LP Members on what they cocecived to be Blacks on Welfare and dealing drugs. This by far does not out weight the facts that these people was robbed of their lives over a lottery ticket and there are members on here with laughter and jokes .No NodNo Nod Shame on you, anyone who part took in this shamful act.Yes , I said SHAME ON YOU.Cussing FaceNo No

majestic1070's avatarmajestic1070

I think the couple thought they were still living in 60's where It would have been ok to tell people they won that much. nowadays you can't even tell people you won 5 dollars

mcginnin56

You know,its <snip>suckers like you that make me proud that I'm going to be barred from posting on this site.I can live without this site and won't miss many of the regulars here.Most of them are like you,insufferable <snip>ING morons.There are a few exceptions and they know who they are.But you my friend,rank right up there with McGinin for stupidity.You confuse quantity of posts with intelligence.Nothing about your posts stand out as being intelligent...nothing,<snip>!See ya in the funny papers,PRICK.

This post has been automatically changed by the Lottery Post computer system to remove inappropriate content and/or spam.

In his own unique way B$Rizzle, I think we both just received the highest compliments I can remember in quite some time.  Cheers

dallascowboyfan's avatardallascowboyfan

Just sad........Does anyone know what game he/they wonWhat?

lowerAL251's avatarlowerAL251

Wtf.......my condolences to the family

rad242

Quote: Originally posted by dallascowboyfan on May 16, 2012

Just sad........Does anyone know what game he/they wonWhat?

That little fact was never shared only that he was known to play and win the 3 and 4 ball games regularly. I imagine if it were the state lottery or a multi state lottery game this would be a much larger story and they would have specified which jackpot.

mcginnin56

That little fact was never shared only that he was known to play and win the 3 and 4 ball games regularly. I imagine if it were the state lottery or a multi state lottery game this would be a much larger story and they would have specified which jackpot.

So were probably not talking about some huge sum of money here. All the more reason, this double homicide was such a tragedy.

Probably the killer(s) were jacked up on some crack cocaine, to have followed through on this insane act over relative small potatoes.

dallascowboyfan's avatardallascowboyfan

Thanks rad.

LOL, you got all worked up over a simple call-out because you asked a question which made no sense. Then you result to name calling? I can only assume that you are still a young kid, and I only HOPE that you are not an adult.

You should really exert all that energy towards reading comprehension.

You just made my night, Thanks!  Big Smile

In his own unique way B$Rizzle, I think we both just received the highest compliments I can remember in quite some time.  Cheers

I definitely feel special after he took all the time to write so many nice gestures. I guess there are still some super nice people in the world Big Grin

BlueDuck

Very sorry this happened to what looks like two nice elderly people.

Condolences to the family.

What good would a signed lottery ticket be to anybody other than the person who signed it.

Nothing else was stolen, so the news articles say.

Just don't think they were into dealing drugs after reading other news stories. Think the News Reporters could have done a better job about "what was" and "what happened".

Quote: Originally posted by BlueDuck on May 16, 2012

Very sorry this happened to what looks like two nice elderly people.

Condolences to the family.

What good would a signed lottery ticket be to anybody other than the person who signed it.

Nothing else was stolen, so the news articles say.

Just don't think they were into dealing drugs after reading other news stories. Think the News Reporters could have done a better job about "what was" and "what happened".

Dangerous & stupid thugs don't think things through like that. That's what makes them dangerous.

ILOVEPICK3

Main suspect is her daughter

Stack47

"Two weeks ago, Evans said her father hit the lottery and told everyone he was a winner before cashing in the ticket."

and

"Police say this home is a place where illegal drug deals went down."

It doesn't look like he was waiting to consult financial advisers before he cashed the ticket. If there was a ticket, it's useless to the murderer.

"

GHolnyuk

Sure hope he signed the ticket before running around yelling he won $10m to his drug dealing homeboys in the hood.

Lucky Loser

"For the LOVE of money is the root of all evil"...money isn't evil in any shape or form.

I hate stories like this...where someone, or, some people take what others have gained and come by honestly. Theives have been around since the beginning of time, and, doing the exact same thing as what these culprits did...KILL, STEAL, and DESTROY. 

However, as sad as it really is, the absolute most important point and fact simply cannot be ignored. If this nice gentleman had just kept quiet about the whole deal, they'd both be still around right now. Someone heard about it, got jealous, got evil, then got busy planning.

It's happening somewhere else at this very moment...and will make the news tomorrow. Pretty sad that this falls under standard news headlines almost. I really hate it for the remaining family.

L.L.

mcginnin56

Quote: Originally posted by Lucky Loser on May 16, 2012

"For the LOVE of money is the root of all evil"...money isn't evil in any shape or form.

I hate stories like this...where someone, or, some people take what others have gained and come by honestly. Theives have been around since the beginning of time, and, doing the exact same thing as what these culprits did...KILL, STEAL, and DESTROY. 

However, as sad as it really is, the absolute most important point and fact simply cannot be ignored. If this nice gentleman had just kept quiet about the whole deal, they'd both be still around right now. Someone heard about it, got jealous, got evil, then got busy planning.

It's happening somewhere else at this very moment...and will make the news tomorrow. Pretty sad that this falls under standard news headlines almost. I really hate it for the remaining family.

L.L.

Whoever said money is evil?  What?

PlayTwoWin

This is why I would gather my immediate family if I won the ticket and move out of town ad live in a hotel for awhile before I cashed the ticket.

CDanaT's avatarCDanaT

Mr & Mrs. Evans, may you forever rest in peace.  May your family  recover from this terrible tragedy in minimal time. May the Police do their job without fail. But most of all, may they find the perpetrators and punish them severely. I am truly sorry for your loss. 

RedStang's avatarRedStang

Another story says he played the daily 3 & daily 4 most of the time, so it probably was'nt the millions i was thinking. It did say the house was ransaked so who knows, drugs or lotto.

Factorem's avatarFactorem

For the likes of Osama Bin Laden, Adolf Hitler, Joseph Stalin, Pol Pot, and verified world villains and murderers who have deliberately taken another human being's life, my choice of answer would be: "even ZERO money  would be worth killing over".

For the balance of humans, my choice of answer is: "ABSOLUTELY NO AMOUNT OF MONEY WOULD BE WORTH KILLING OVER".

The questions remains a bit nebulous because many a times, money is inconspicuously buried along with many other states, in the total person that is killed. i.e Hitler killed many, publicly for their race, and more subtly to take away their possessions including money.

RJOh's avatarRJOh

Quote: Originally posted by Stack47 on May 16, 2012

"Two weeks ago, Evans said her father hit the lottery and told everyone he was a winner before cashing in the ticket."

and

"Police say this home is a place where illegal drug deals went down."

It doesn't look like he was waiting to consult financial advisers before he cashed the ticket. If there was a ticket, it's useless to the murderer.

"

He might have had a winning ticket but no one said it won a jackpot.  My neighbor once showed me a winning lottery ticket that was too big to cash in at the retailer but being a wheel/dealer type he probably had stuff in his home worth more than that winning ticket.  I know if it had been a jackpot winner, he wouldn't had showed it to anyone but his lawyer and maybe a few family members before cashing it.

stripesnsolids's avatarstripesnsolids

First off, my sincere condolences to the family.  Just because it's in a news story doesn't mean it's true.  I do know from personal experience that the police will put a fake story out there to keep the integrity of the investigation.  They do that so that the criminals don't know what they have on them.

DC81's avatarDC81

Quote: Originally posted by stripesnsolids on May 17, 2012

First off, my sincere condolences to the family.  Just because it's in a news story doesn't mean it's true.  I do know from personal experience that the police will put a fake story out there to keep the integrity of the investigation.  They do that so that the criminals don't know what they have on them.

I agree.... If the police knew it was a "drug house" they would have likely had an easy time getting evidence and they would have been busted.

If you go around telling people you "won the lottery" you might as well put a target on your back with a lit up neon sign telling the shooter where to aim. I won $100 of a accidentally requested PB ticket three months ago and told absolutely no one.  Michigan allows for anonymity for most games, the only exception as far as I remember come down to Powerball and Mega Millions jackpots and even still there might be a way to wiggle out of it having yourself plastered over the news if you hire a good lawyer or two to look into it.

GYM RICE

Claiming anonymous wouldn't have helped this guy. He apparently was singing like a bird the moment he found out he had won.

Lucky Loser

Whoever said money is evil?  What?

mcginnis, people always get this bible versus, which is also used as a cliche, completely wrong. How many times have you heard someone say that "money is the root of all evil"? Kinda like your signature reads. However, if it's read in its' actual context, it clearly states that the "LOVE" of money is the root...there's a difference. Money, in its' natural form, IS NOT THE ROOT OF ALL EVIL. People do very evil things, such as what happened to this couple, just to try and get it.

Not trying to knock you or anything, okay. Just puttin' it out there like it truly should be. That lottery ticket wasn't evil, okay. It was the MOTIVE BEHIND THOSE PEOPLE TRYING TO GET IT THE WRONG WAY..THE ROOT, which was EVIL.

L.L.

mcginnin56

Quote: Originally posted by Lucky Loser on May 17, 2012

mcginnis, people always get this bible versus, which is also used as a cliche, completely wrong. How many times have you heard someone say that "money is the root of all evil"? Kinda like your signature reads. However, if it's read in its' actual context, it clearly states that the "LOVE" of money is the root...there's a difference. Money, in its' natural form, IS NOT THE ROOT OF ALL EVIL. People do very evil things, such as what happened to this couple, just to try and get it.

Not trying to knock you or anything, okay. Just puttin' it out there like it truly should be. That lottery ticket wasn't evil, okay. It was the MOTIVE BEHIND THOSE PEOPLE TRYING TO GET IT THE WRONG WAY..THE ROOT, which was EVIL.

L.L.

I totally get the percieved misunderstanding. This happens to be one of the most frequently misquoted verses in the bible!   Crazy

My signature is a completely different take on that misnomer. No where do I say MONEY is the root of all evil. Read my signature:

Money is the root of all:   Easy life style,  Volunteerism in community,  Instant immunity from poverty,  Living and giving large. 

It just so happens that the starting letter for each of these four phrases is EVIL.  Just a play on words, nothing more, nothing less.  ROFL

L.L.

So glad that someone else gets that the quote is often repeated out of context.

thank you.

cbr$'s avatarcbr$

To the Evan's family , I'm sending my condolences , in their hour of bereavement.                                                     This was a senseless tragedy,  whatever other motives or other allegation against this couple is really is no longer relevant. To the family , I hope someone do come fore to help. With the help , I hope you receive some peace & closure from this.                                                                                                                                            To the person or people who did it , No ticket , No Jackpot money will ever be high enough to justify this action. The ticket had a limit to it. What you decided to take from this couple was priceless, it is called LIFE!!!!    Just what I hope you do receive . LIFE BEHIND BAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Thinking of...

Stack47

Quote: Originally posted by RJOh on May 17, 2012

He might have had a winning ticket but no one said it won a jackpot.  My neighbor once showed me a winning lottery ticket that was too big to cash in at the retailer but being a wheel/dealer type he probably had stuff in his home worth more than that winning ticket.  I know if it had been a jackpot winner, he wouldn't had showed it to anyone but his lawyer and maybe a few family members before cashing it.

Winning the lottery is in the eyes of the beholder. This afternoon I heard a woman let out a scream in the back of a convenient store where they have scratch-off vending machines; she won 20 bucks.

The police in this story said it was a drug house and the daughter said they were murdered for a lottery ticket. People have been murdered for less than a couple hundred in lottery tickets, but it sure looks like it was a drug deal gone wrong. There are plenty of dumb criminals, but trying to cash a jackpot winning tickets belonging to two murder victims is about as dumb as it gets.

They'll probably never find the lottery ticket(s) or the cash and drugs taken from the house.

mcginnin56

Quote: Originally posted by Stack47 on May 17, 2012

Winning the lottery is in the eyes of the beholder. This afternoon I heard a woman let out a scream in the back of a convenient store where they have scratch-off vending machines; she won 20 bucks.

The police in this story said it was a drug house and the daughter said they were murdered for a lottery ticket. People have been murdered for less than a couple hundred in lottery tickets, but it sure looks like it was a drug deal gone wrong. There are plenty of dumb criminals, but trying to cash a jackpot winning tickets belonging to two murder victims is about as dumb as it gets.

They'll probably never find the lottery ticket(s) or the cash and drugs taken from the house.

A woman let out a scream over a $20 scratch ticket.  Banana That's priceless!!! I'm going to try that next time I win a low tier prize in a crowded store.

Although I might run the risk of someone thinking I hit it really big, follow me home, and mug or kill me for the ticket.  Roll Eyes

Maybe not such a good idea after all.  No Nod

rad242

Quote: Originally posted by mcginnin56 on May 17, 2012

A woman let out a scream over a $20 scratch ticket.  Banana That's priceless!!! I'm going to try that next time I win a low tier prize in a crowded store.

Although I might run the risk of someone thinking I hit it really big, follow me home, and mug or kill me for the ticket.  Roll Eyes

Maybe not such a good idea after all.  No Nod

omg! That sounds like so much fun. Could you imagine the attention one would get? May lead to a role in a hollywood movie - lol

After the explosion of emotions, I would head to the door and turn to my audience at the close of the scene.

"This was just a REHEARSAL. I only won $20."

mcginnin56

Quote: Originally posted by rad242 on May 17, 2012

omg! That sounds like so much fun. Could you imagine the attention one would get? May lead to a role in a hollywood movie - lol

After the explosion of emotions, I would head to the door and turn to my audience at the close of the scene.

"This was just a REHEARSAL. I only won $20."

Let me know how that works out rad. Might be an innovative way to pick up a chick at the same time! Hippy

ILOVEPICK3

main suspect is her  daughter...

mcginnin56

Quote: Originally posted by ILOVEPICK3 on May 17, 2012

main suspect is her  daughter...

That's like the third time you've posted that same comment in the last 24 hours.  Disapprove

winwi5

This is a sad story, however if the father won big on the pick 3 or pick 4 and the amount is not over $600.00 those tickets can be cashed in at anytime.

The house may have been a known drug house, however her father hit the numbers big on pick 3 or either pick 4 and you have people that normally play

Their tickets 100-200 times a game and that is a big win so technically the police should get the security tape at the store where the father purchased the tickets

And then get a print out of all the numbers for the tickets the father played because it will be easier for them to track them down this way.

Lucky Loser

Quote: Originally posted by mcginnin56 on May 17, 2012

I totally get the percieved misunderstanding. This happens to be one of the most frequently misquoted verses in the bible!   Crazy

My signature is a completely different take on that misnomer. No where do I say MONEY is the root of all evil. Read my signature:

Money is the root of all:   Easy life style,  Volunteerism in community,  Instant immunity from poverty,  Living and giving large. 

It just so happens that the starting letter for each of these four phrases is EVIL.  Just a play on words, nothing more, nothing less.  ROFL

Gotcha bud! I should've been a bit clearer but, I think you and I are on the same page. It's the motive and not the money. Thanks for the kind response and not receiving it negatively.

L.L.

Lucky Loser

Quote: Originally posted by haymaker on May 17, 2012

So glad that someone else gets that the quote is often repeated out of context.

thank you.

Yeah, I wasn't targeting anyone...just wanted to shed a brighter light on the statement in question.

You're welcome!

L.L.

mcginnin56

Gotcha bud! I should've been a bit clearer but, I think you and I are on the same page. It's the motive and not the money. Thanks for the kind response and not receiving it negatively.

L.L.

No need to be negative, were all friends here!  Group Hug

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

"I heard a woman let out a scream in the back of a convenient store...  she won 20 bucks."

LOL, I think you better find a store in a better neighborhood, Stack.   LOL

RJOh's avatarRJOh

Quote: Originally posted by rdgrnr on May 17, 2012

"I heard a woman let out a scream in the back of a convenient store...  she won 20 bucks."

Are you saying in the better neighborhood the prizes are larger or winning $20 isn't worth getting excited about?

Last year when I won $150 by matching 3+1 in MM, the clerk got excited and said it was largest win she had seen in 4 months of working at that gas station and they sold a lot of tickets.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Are you saying in the better neighborhood the prizes are larger or winning $20 isn't worth getting excited about?

Last year when I won $150 by matching 3+1 in MM, the clerk got excited and said it was largest win she had seen in 4 months of working at that gas station and they sold a lot of tickets.

No, I'm just thinking it's a pretty poor neighborhood if somebody screams out cuz they won 20 bucks (Not that there's anything wrong with that!).

Might wanna lock up your pickup while you're inside though.

RJOh's avatarRJOh

Quote: Originally posted by rdgrnr on May 18, 2012

No, I'm just thinking it's a pretty poor neighborhood if somebody screams out cuz they won 20 bucks (Not that there's anything wrong with that!).

Might wanna lock up your pickup while you're inside though.

That doesn't say much for the mind set of those LP members who post systems of 50+ combinations for the pick3 games with a slime chance of getting a box hit of $50.

helpmewin's avatarhelpmewin

wow sad news, sorry to hear this. Unhappy

savagegoose's avatarsavagegoose

good luck cashing the ticket who ever.

martingorgeous's avatarmartingorgeous

May their dear souls rest in peace.

My sincere condolences to this family.

Stack47

Quote: Originally posted by rdgrnr on May 17, 2012

The funny part, that store is in a nice neighborhood. They have lots of "we sold a $1000 scratch-off ticket" signs back by the vending machines so maybe she gets over excited with any win.

In this story where police said "this home is a place where illegal drug deals went down.", maybe "hitting the lottery" has a different meaning.

Stack47

There is a cashing agent in a not very nice neighborhood that will cash any ticket up to $5000. They keep a large stack of $100 bills in the cash register. I cashed two $400 Pick-4 box tickets and the clerk counted out and handed me the money like she was giving change for a $10. It depends on the store; in some $150 is a huge win and in others the clerk doesn't blink when cashing a $5000 winner.

savagegoose's avatarsavagegoose

o once let out a woop, cuz my GF had taken off for the day with all the money, and i needed smokes., played some keno with my $3 and won i think $20, whjat ever a paouch of tobacco was $12 back then.

i let out a pretty hearty WAHOOOOOOO! half the store looked at me.

so i held it up and said enough for a pack of smokes,.  most turned away in disgust.

RJOh's avatarRJOh

Quote: Originally posted by Stack47 on May 18, 2012

There is a cashing agent in a not very nice neighborhood that will cash any ticket up to $5000. They keep a large stack of $100 bills in the cash register. I cashed two $400 Pick-4 box tickets and the clerk counted out and handed me the money like she was giving change for a $10. It depends on the store; in some $150 is a huge win and in others the clerk doesn't blink when cashing a $5000 winner.

In Ohio cashing agents are banks designated by the state to cash lottery tickets worth $600-$5000 after they are verified by a retailer.  I visited one when I matched 5of6 for $1500 playing Super Lotto back in 2002. 

Players cashing their tickets at these banks already know they are winners so they're only excited about the amounts won but they may be disappointed when they find out these banks charge a notary fee for each ticket cashed.  The only way to avoid this fee is to go to a regional office.

ILOVEPICK3

Quote: Originally posted by RJOh on May 18, 2012

In Ohio cashing agents are banks designated by the state to cash lottery tickets worth $600-$5000 after they are verified by a retailer.  I visited one when I matched 5of6 for $1500 playing Super Lotto back in 2002. 

Players cashing their tickets at these banks already know they are winners so they're only excited about the amounts won but they may be disappointed when they find out these banks charge a notary fee for each ticket cashed.  The only way to avoid this fee is to go to a regional office.

Her daughter is cashing the lottery 10 million ticket and enjoy the beach in Hawaii now.

KY Floyd's avatarKY Floyd

From another article: "Tierra Evans denies her parents were involved in the sale of any drugs. And she says her father received social security checks but did well enough in the lottery to be able to afford nice things for the family."

Right. The cops have it completely wrong. That money he was using to buy all those nice things wasn't profit from dealing drugs. He just happened to win far more than probability suggests.

DC81's avatarDC81

Quote: Originally posted by ILOVEPICK3 on May 18, 2012

Her daughter is cashing the lottery 10 million ticket and enjoy the beach in Hawaii now.

Just stop posting.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by DC81 on May 19, 2012

Just stop posting.

LOL

Stack47

Quote: Originally posted by RJOh on May 18, 2012

I was hassled by a teller the first time I went to a bank to collect. She wanted the fee upfront rather than deduct it from the winnings. The bank manager had to straighten it out. Most banks have notaries, but I heard from other players they were told to get the claim form notarized somewhere else before the bank would pay. The Ohio Lottery finally set it up so the banks would notarize the claim and the fees would be automatically be deducted from the winnings.

The problem with going to regional offices, it took 6 weeks to get the check.

Stack47

Quote: Originally posted by KY Floyd on May 19, 2012

From another article: "Tierra Evans denies her parents were involved in the sale of any drugs. And she says her father received social security checks but did well enough in the lottery to be able to afford nice things for the family."

Right. The cops have it completely wrong. That money he was using to buy all those nice things wasn't profit from dealing drugs. He just happened to win far more than probability suggests.

We can either believe he was just a nice guy who bragged about winning the lottery, was robbed of the ticket and murdered or believe he was a drug dealer who made a bad deal and was whacked. If he really was the icon of the community his daughter says, why would the cops say he lived in a drug house?

ILOVEPICK3

Quote: Originally posted by Stack47 on May 19, 2012

We can either believe he was just a nice guy who bragged about winning the lottery, was robbed of the ticket and murdered or believe he was a drug dealer who made a bad deal and was whacked. If he really was the icon of the community his daughter says, why would the cops say he lived in a drug house?

Her daughter Lie... cause she kill them both and took their winning ticket.

mcginnin56

Quote: Originally posted by ILOVEPICK3 on May 19, 2012

I think you might be the culprit. Turn yourself in now. Maybe with good behavior, you can be out in 25 years.  Banana

I'd be willing to give you a good character reference, if needed.  Thumbs Up

rad242

Quote: Originally posted by mcginnin56 on May 19, 2012

I think you might be the culprit. Turn yourself in now. Maybe with good behavior, you can be out in 25 years.  Banana

2nd reference pre-written and available on condition that HRH Todd gets the EXCLUSIVE

TheGameGrl's avatarTheGameGrl

Great Detective Work McG, Book'em Danno!

and on a side note- Here is some fun you can have at an ATM..stand there ...punch in your pin...then yell out when the money is dispensing...OMG! I am the 1000th winner! I get a free play on the ATM machine!

People will look at you strangly and then try to figure out how you get a free play LOL!!

mcginnin56

Quote: Originally posted by rad242 on May 19, 2012

2nd reference pre-written and available on condition that HRH Todd gets the EXCLUSIVE

Sounding more like a business deal now. Green laugh

mcginnin56

Quote: Originally posted by TheGameGrl on May 19, 2012

and on a side note- Here is some fun you can have at an ATM..stand there ...punch in your pin...then yell out when the money is dispensing...OMG! I am the 1000th winner! I get a free play on the ATM machine!

People will look at you strangly and then try to figure out how you get a free play LOL!!

Wow! I love that idea!!!

The timing would have to be right to, so just after you started screaming,  Banana     those crisp bills would start dispensing. Love it.   Lover

I take it your not speaking from experience GameGrl?

rad242

Sounding more like a business deal now. Green laugh

You say TOMATO...

heres another joke you can do to people.

when you're downtown in any big city w/ tall buildings, 

you and the person you're w/stand on the corner pointing up,

within a couple minutes you'll have a bunch of people standing in back of you looking up,

then just walk away, while they stand there trying to find what you were looking at

others will start looking up because they are.

TheGameGrl's avatarTheGameGrl

Quote: Originally posted by haymaker on May 19, 2012

heres another joke you can do to people.

when you're downtown in any big city w/ tall buildings, 

you and the person you're w/stand on the corner pointing up,

within a couple minutes you'll have a bunch of people standing in back of you looking up,

then just walk away, while they stand there trying to find what you were looking at

others will start looking up because they are.

I think you would be careful to not do that in NYC as Homeland would be on you in a heartbeat...far too many folks actually expereinced that Look in the sky moment.... I'd say do at your own risk...

...To McG....Why whatever gives you that idea?? ....( innocent look Wink).My friend did a similar one where when he got his print out from his withdraw receipt he shouted..WHAT!! I am the publishers Clearing house winner!! really?? WOW ! And folks actually asked to see his receipt ...it was funny!

On topic: Has any further news been given on the couples murder? Any leads in the capture of the criminals?

People will look at you strangly and then try to figure out how you get a free play

Some people will just figure to mug you as their "free play". Evil Looking

Let's be careful out there. Wink

maximumfun's avatarmaximumfun

I think you would be careful to not do that in NYC as Homeland would be on you in a heartbeat...far too many folks actually expereinced that Look in the sky moment.... I'd say do at your own risk...

...To McG....Why whatever gives you that idea?? ....( innocent look Wink).My friend did a similar one where when he got his print out from his withdraw receipt he shouted..WHAT!! I am the publishers Clearing house winner!! really?? WOW ! And folks actually asked to see his receipt ...it was funny!

On topic: Has any further news been given on the couples murder? Any leads in the capture of the criminals?

LOL - how fun would that be to do that at an ATM...  I will have to try that over lunch with some of my colleagues.  of course i will have to have EMT's on standby...

there's a thought that never occured to me, cause that was a joke for a far more innocent time,

also have not been to any big cities downtown in a long time,

i avoid them like the plague.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

Quote: Originally posted by ILOVEPICK3 on May 19, 2012

I say it was the Butler.

In the Library.

louise black

Quote: Originally posted by ILOVEPICK3 on May 18, 2012

I think if you know something ,you need to come forward and if  it was the daughter then since you keep saying it was her ,she undoubtly didn't give you your cutCrying, maybe that why you're outing her!Big Grin

Seattlejohn

So, what's the lesson we learn from this sad story?  When you win the lottery, don't tell anyone.  You'll avoid the thieves, stalkers, kidnappers, peeping toms, burglars, beggars, scam artists and murderers...

----------------------------------------------------------------------

It's time for universal lottery winner disclosure laws between all states.  You shouldn't be forced to disclose your name & city in one state, while you can remain annonymous in others...

mcginnin56

Quote: Originally posted by Seattlejohn on May 21, 2012

So, what's the lesson we learn from this sad story?  When you win the lottery, don't tell anyone.  You'll avoid the thieves, stalkers, kidnappers, peeping toms, burglars, beggars, scam artists and murderers...

----------------------------------------------------------------------

It's time for universal lottery winner disclosure laws between all states.  You shouldn't be forced to disclose your name & city in one state, while you can remain annonymous in others...

Don't forget the rapists, rabid re-cyclists, dumpster diving lotto ticket dingbats, and your own family members.  Evil Looking    Bat     Unhappy

Note: Not meant for you Bigheadnick, keep finding those BIG throwaway scratchers!

mrylndw's avatarmrylndw

Quote: Originally posted by mcginnin56 on May 21, 2012

Don't forget the rapists, rabid re-cyclists, dumpster diving lotto ticket dingbats, and your own family members.  Evil Looking    Bat     Unhappy

Note: Not meant for you Bigheadnick, keep finding those BIG throwaway scratchers!

The scary people who specialize in home invasion should be included also..

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story