Brooklyn teen wins $1,000 a week for life

Jun 13, 2012, 10:19 am (62 comments)

New York Lottery

Having one of the family cars stolen turned out to be the luckiest break of his life.

A Brooklyn teen who was riding with his mom and uncle to claim their stolen car from an impound lot bought a lottery ticket when they stopped for gas that will pay him $1,000 a week for the rest of his life.

"We went to go pick up the car and stopped here for some gas," 18-year-old Rob Salo, 18, said this morning at Coney Island Convenience on Coney Island Avenue in Brooklyn, where he plunked down $2 for the scratch-off ticket on May 14.

"When I scratched it, it was just ridiculous. I didn't believe it at first. I thought it was a fake ticket," said Salo, who will graduate from James Madison High School later this month.

"I had to ask them to pull over because I couldn't drive and show them something like that. It was just a Kodak moment," said Salo, whose last day of school was today.

"You're in a dream. Honestly you don't know if it's real or not in the moment. I couldn't go to sleep at all. I didn't know if I was hungry, I didn't know if I was sleepy, I didn't know anything at that point."

As a top prize winner in the Win $1,000 A Week For Life scratch-off game, the lucky Sheepshead Bay resident will get $52,000 a year — $32,398 after taxes — every year for the rest of his life.

"You keep livin', we'll keep payin', " lottery spokeswoman Christy Calicchia said, repeating the game's slogan.

Salo — who rarely plays the lottery but beat the 1 in 7,896,000 odds with his single ticket — said he plans to splurge on a new BMW and pay for his college education.

News story photo(Click to display full-size in gallery)

Thanks to w794728 for the tip.

NY Post

Comments

tntea's avatartntea

Great story!!!

surimaribo24's avatarsurimaribo24

oo yeh . . i remember seeing the ticket on the post.. was posted by his budy  when it happend .. blessings to him ..

Jill34786's avatarJill34786

I find it odd that the lottery officials claim the prize is $1,000 a week for life yet the winner is holding up a $1,000,000 check. Willing to bet that his prize is capped at 20 years. I have read elsewhere that issues have evolved from these so called "cash for life" lotteries when in fact they have implemented a ceiling cap on the prize. No No

maximumfun's avatarmaximumfun

what a fabulous story!

lambo1013's avatarlambo1013

Congrats bro. Class of 2012 we got this Banana

haymaker's avatarhaymaker

Quote: Originally posted by Jill34786 on Jun 13, 2012

I find it odd that the lottery officials claim the prize is $1,000 a week for life yet the winner is holding up a $1,000,000 check. Willing to bet that his prize is capped at 20 years. I have read elsewhere that issues have evolved from these so called "cash for life" lotteries when in fact they have implemented a ceiling cap on the prize. No No

I thought the reason for the 1 mils check was that it is the minimum payout,

if he were to pass away before he collects 1 mil. the balance would go to his estate, no ?

Cletu$2's avatarCletu$2

Quote: Originally posted by Jill34786 on Jun 13, 2012

The check says "pay at least One Million Dollars".

Quote: Originally posted by Cletu$2 on Jun 13, 2012

The check says "pay at least One Million Dollars".

Thanks for the clarification as I didn't notice the fine print until I enlarged the pic. Hopefully the NY lottery will honor the payments for life (winner is only 18 and has a long life ahead) and not have a cap on his winnings like a few other states.

NoShame's avatarNoShame

The best age to win a "win for life" contest is when you're very very young.   Provided he doesn't splurge, he can treat the money like his worktime salary and never have to work.

KY Floyd's avatarKY Floyd

"he can treat the money like his worktime salary and never have to work."

Sure. As long as he dies young or lives in poverty. If he gets out of the city he can live fairly comfortably right now, but it won't be long before that $52k per year is worth a lot less than it is today. If inflation runs 2.5% per year (about the average over the last 10 years) he'll be getting the equivalent of $23.6k when he's 50.

mcginnin56

Quote: Originally posted by KY Floyd on Jun 13, 2012

"he can treat the money like his worktime salary and never have to work."

Sure. As long as he dies young or lives in poverty. If he gets out of the city he can live fairly comfortably right now, but it won't be long before that $52k per year is worth a lot less than it is today. If inflation runs 2.5% per year (about the average over the last 10 years) he'll be getting the equivalent of $23.6k when he's 50.

Perhaps then, he should plan his demise by the age of forty? Oh well, the candle that burns twice as bright, burns half as long.

It will be a shame to see him go so early, we barely knew the poor kid.  Sulk Off       R.I.P.    Dead

dallascowboyfan's avatardallascowboyfan

Great Story!!!!! Congrats to the winner...Thumbs Up

MississippiMudd

From the article "said he plans to splurge on a new BMW and pay for his college education."

New BMW -- BAD idea.  Pay for college -- GOOD idea.  $32k a year is not enough to live a BMW lifestyle.  He would need to work and the lottery will be a great supplement for life.  I suspect it will not end well.

RedStang's avatarRedStang

Quote: Originally posted by lambo1013 on Jun 13, 2012

Congrats bro. Class of 2012 we got this Banana

How many tickets did he buy. Never had luck with this game.

Scott311

He has to pay almost 38% in taxes?! Seem a bit steep for only 52k per year! What?

SaintAndiesPl's avatarSaintAndiesPl

Nice... he does not have to wrorry about working if he does not want too. He can live just within his means and he will be just find.. Or he can work as well and live a nice upper class life.. That is amazing .. I wish him the best..

Saylorgirl's avatarSaylorgirl

Congratulations both on your win and on your graduation!!

lambo1013's avatarlambo1013

Quote: Originally posted by RedStang on Jun 13, 2012

How many tickets did he buy. Never had luck with this game.

He bought 5 at that time. He's not a big gambler..lol I use to tell him to go to my dads store for lottery but he never came in :(

Quote: Originally posted by Scott311 on Jun 13, 2012

He has to pay almost 38% in taxes?! Seem a bit steep for only 52k per year! What?

25% Federal and the rest in state and local tax. Money doesn't go to far in his area.

smooth11484's avatarsmooth11484

Quote: Originally posted by MississippiMudd on Jun 13, 2012

From the article "said he plans to splurge on a new BMW and pay for his college education."

New BMW -- BAD idea.  Pay for college -- GOOD idea.  $32k a year is not enough to live a BMW lifestyle.  He would need to work and the lottery will be a great supplement for life.  I suspect it will not end well.

R YOU DRUNK OR YOU HATING i think both you think im not going to splurg if i get 1000 a week ??? whats a "bmw' lifestyle ????

Quote: Originally posted by smooth11484 on Jun 13, 2012

R YOU DRUNK OR YOU HATING i think both you think im not going to splurg if i get 1000 a week ??? whats a "bmw' lifestyle ????

He was most likely referring to a lavish lifestyle. The winner nets $32,398 per year after taxes which comes out to about $623 per week.  A well equipped 335i will set him back about 50k. Assuming he finances the entire purchase,  factor in gas/insurance and he could very well be looking at $1600-1800 per month.

That kind of money doesn't go too far in NY city especially if splurging on a nice vehicle. He can most likely make ends meet if he plans on living with his parents for a very long time.

rdgrnr's avatarrdgrnr

$1000 a week is chump change after taxes nowadays.

That ain't BMW money unless a BMW is all he wants out of life.

Todd's avatarTodd

Quote: Originally posted by rdgrnr on Jun 13, 2012

I agree, but this win + a regular job = very nice income.  The tough thing about winning so young is that he won't feel the burning need to get and keep a good job.  But if he can make it happen, he's going to have a lot of advantages in life.

mcginnin56

Quote: Originally posted by Todd on Jun 13, 2012

I agree, but this win + a regular job = very nice income.  The tough thing about winning so young is that he won't feel the burning need to get and keep a good job.  But if he can make it happen, he's going to have a lot of advantages in life.

We need more winners like this, in our 30-40-50-60+ LP membership base. I think the "Lucky for Life" game ($1000 per day for life), is ready to

give up a new winner soon. This way we can lead the BMW, Lexus, Mercedes lifestyle without scrimping. (no need to live with our parents either!).

DC81's avatarDC81

Salo � who rarely plays the lottery but beat the 1 in 7,896,000 odds with his single ticket � said he plans to splurge on a new BMW and pay for his college education.

LOL First the BMW thing, maybe he works and will keep working because he will certainly need to if he buys a NEW BWM. That 52k per year before taxes ain't gonna cover it but as a supplement income, not bad at all. Second, he rarely plays the lottery? LOL He's 18 freaking years old, he hasn't had the chance to really regularly PLAY the lottery yet, at least legally.

SaintAndiesPl's avatarSaintAndiesPl

Quote: Originally posted by Todd on Jun 13, 2012

That's a good thing.. you know how many keep working on a job they hate so much just to keep the check rolling in so they can pay their bills? (cough coughmememecough) ...  I say 1,000 a week is a blessing even after taxes.. He does not have to stay on a job if he hates it.. he has options to stay in school and get a degree and not have to worry about how to pay his loan ...

HaveABall's avatarHaveABall

Rob, congratulations on your exciting lottery jackpot win! Banana

"You keep livin" then.

kapla

Yup, its not easy to get by here in NY with the ever increasing taxes.  This guy will learn about that too! I agree with Todd that if he can make the most of this early 'gift' he has been given in life he could go far.  And he is learning FAST how much NY taxes you!

I like to try to beat NY out of the taxes - play games that only pay $600 or less (Numbers & Win 4) and then 'press' those games up to be able to win for MORE than the $600 cap by playing multiple tickets.  Hit for $800 on 4 - $200 tickets before.  NO TAXES outta that win!!! But NY gets back at me cuz I also play Take 5, and sometimes Mega & Powerball I have hit for over $600 on those and had to pay taxes on it!! 

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

Did anyone notice that the winning Powerball ticket was most likely won by a rich east coast person/s ............ oh wait, it was won in the midwest, Iowa!

Eek

faber98

he won't be able to cope with this. if he chooses to not work what will he do? you can only stay home and watch 90210 and waltons repeats for so long. he will end up going to the racetrack every day and losing the money weekly. if he tries to work his co-workers will resent him because he get's the grand a week over and above them. if he throws his money away on a bmw he will run out of places to drive it and chew up money maintaining it. he can't win and will soon probably turn to substance abuse to fill the gaps in his life. the only real answer is to funnel the checks into an investment account and pretend he never won it.

what-iwanna*say

CONGRATS Rob!!!!! Both on wininng the $1,000. a week for life! And a big CONGRATS! On Graduating High School! My husband & I are very happy for you and are very happy to hear that you are using your winning lottery money to go on to college!!!! You sound like a very smart young man with a great head on your shoulders. Your family must be very proud of you and have every right to be they raised a wonderful young man. Again congradulations and we are so happy for you.  Sincerley, Lowell & Sandy  From: Mesa AZ   :))Banana

what-iwanna*say

FABER 98----DUDE DID YOU READ THE SAME STORY EVERYBODY ELSE READ???? OR HAVE YOU TAKEN WAY TO MANY DRUGS??? Your a moroon!!! he said he was just about to graduate from High School on Tuesday! And is now going to go onto College! So what he's going to splurge on a BMW i'd say he atleast deserves that.... Some people are so jealous and can't be happy for anyone. And BMW's depending on which model you buy all come with a maintenance package. PUT DOWN THE CRACK PIPE & GET OVER YOURSELF!!!!!

Cletu$2's avatarCletu$2

Welcome to Lottery Post,what-iwanna*say.

maringoman's avatarmaringoman

I am so happy for him. Thats a great wat to break out of high school. Young man the world is yours.

SergeM's avatarSergeM

1000 USD / m

In ten to twenty years 1000 USD might just be the price of the rent for a simple flat.

mediabrat's avatarmediabrat

Quote: Originally posted by SergeM on Jun 14, 2012

1000 USD / m

In ten to twenty years 1000 USD might just be the price of the rent for a simple flat.

Where he lives, it already is, especially if you want a nice flat in a decent neighborhood.

EDIT:  Though I should point out that he's getting $1k per WEEK, not per month.  Then again, this is NYC we're talking about; it's easy enough to blow $4k/month on rent if you're so inclined.

psykomo's avatarpsykomo

not bad for NYC$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

but, PSYKO would advise Rob 2 buy that Vett>>>now with 0 money down<<<<<

& cheap interest RATE<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

then, head SW 4 South of the Border down in Tuson, AZ>>>>>>>>>>>>>!!!!!!!!

G@@D  place 2 live & EAT See Ya!

PartyDrumParty

Jack-in-the-Box

He bought 5 at that time. He's not a big gambler..lol I use to tell him to go to my dads store for lottery but he never came in :(

Glad you validated how many tickets he bought. I find it amusing that the lottery always seem to emphasize that only 1 ticket was purchased in the majority of their announcements.

Quote: Originally posted by mediabrat on Jun 14, 2012

Where he lives, it already is, especially if you want a nice flat in a decent neighborhood.

EDIT:  Though I should point out that he's getting $1k per WEEK, not per month.  Then again, this is NYC we're talking about; it's easy enough to blow $4k/month on rent if you're so inclined.

The lottery is paying him 52k in yearly installments which after taxes end up being 32k .  I
t works out to $623 net everyweek.

rlpaulette's avatarrlpaulette

I am so happy for you,invest well,,,

faber98

Quote: Originally posted by what-iwanna*say on Jun 14, 2012

FABER 98----DUDE DID YOU READ THE SAME STORY EVERYBODY ELSE READ???? OR HAVE YOU TAKEN WAY TO MANY DRUGS??? Your a moroon!!! he said he was just about to graduate from High School on Tuesday! And is now going to go onto College! So what he's going to splurge on a BMW i'd say he atleast deserves that.... Some people are so jealous and can't be happy for anyone. And BMW's depending on which model you buy all come with a maintenance package. PUT DOWN THE CRACK PIPE & GET OVER YOURSELF!!!!!

yes, i read it. and that kid won't last one semester in college. i see by your spelling you didn't. i really don't think that a BMW with a maintenance package or not is that inexpensive. you know it's going to get stolen or totaled. i'd make book on that. any halfway decent college will chew up that 32k a year and there willl be no job when he decides to quit school (which he will). this sheepheads bay street kid should forget about wasting his time and money going to college. he should buy a toyota and find a menial job and funnel his money into an annuity account or some sort of porfolio so he can retire at 45. forget the college and BMW nonsense. that just indicated to me that he will make a series of wrong decisions and end up with diddlely by the time he is 30. so mr. moron, (with one o by the way) i am not jealous but 32k after taxes is nothing more than sustinence cash (which he will need for his long periods of future unemployment). going to college does not guarantee any type of plush lifestyle if you somehow manage to graduate (which he won't). he will party and continue to party until he flunks out or quits. bet on it.

psykomo's avatarpsykomo

CONGRATS Rob!!!!! Both on wininng the $1,000. a week for life! And a big CONGRATS! On Graduating High School! My husband & I are very happy for you and are very happy to hear that you are using your winning lottery money to go on to college!!!! You sound like a very smart young man with a great head on your shoulders. Your family must be very proud of you and have every right to be they raised a wonderful young man. Again congradulations and we are so happy for you.  Sincerley, Lowell & Sandy  From: Mesa AZ   :))Banana

whatisay

WHAT'sAHappin>>>dounURwayN>>>>>>>>>AZ??????????WHATISAYrob SHOULD ask>U
I Agree!>>>>>>Rob!!!! ????????????DO U HAVE "ON THE BOARDER'' place 2 EAT in ur PLACE/????????????

BUT>>>>>>>>Rob!!!! >>>>>>>>> BE U HAVE G@@D  >>>>>>>>>GPS SYSTEM in ur vett/!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Puke>>>ROB!!!!>>>>>>>>>>GO 4 a colledge LIKE>>>>>>>>WHATISAY>>>SUGGESTED$$$$$$$$

ROB>>>>>>>Bat>>>>>>>>GIRL's@COLLEDGE will L@@K>>AFTER>>>UR>>suggested  interested

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jack-in-the-Box

mediabrat's avatarmediabrat

Both the writeup here at LP and the original article in the NY Post say he bought one ticket, not five.  Either you're lying or Todd and the NY Post are lying.  Which is it?

Quote: Originally posted by mediabrat on Jun 15, 2012

Both the writeup here at LP and the original article in the NY Post say he bought one ticket, not five.  Either you're lying or Todd and the NY Post are lying.  Which is it?

I actually believe lambo103 as he apparently knows the winner. Todd didn't write the article,  he credits the NY post as the source of the story.

mcginnin56

Quote: Originally posted by Jill34786 on Jun 15, 2012

I actually believe lambo103 as he apparently knows the winner. Todd didn't write the article,  he credits the NY post as the source of the story.

And as any good newspaper writer knows, people don't want to read the complete boring facts. Sleep  Like with most stories of this nature, the details

are sometimes exaggerated to make the story more interesting, and give the newspaper higher readership.

The NY Post is more like a tabloid magazine than newspaper anyways. Can't blame Todd for simply conveying the story.  Poke

I don't think Faber98 is too far off with his assumption. The winner is only 18 and without proper guidance could easily squander his winnings. There was 16 year old girl in the UK who won 3.1 million and six years later is broke while having to raise her 2 children.

The cash for life winnings are very modest by most standard and should go a long way toward supplementing a decent lifestyle. Those of you who think he should splurge and not work are wrong as the funds alone by no means will sustain a comfortable living environment.

He truly needs to sit down and get input from several financial counselors prior to going on a spending spree. In my opinion, a new BMW should be put on hold if he truly wants to go to college. Tuition/dorm and living expenses will take a sizable chunk out of his annual checks. 

I truly hope he gets proper advice from an expert and not his buddies and is able to live a gainful and prosperous life with the financial head start given to him.

mcginnin56

I don't think Faber98 is too far off with his assumption. The winner is only 18 and without proper guidance could easily squander his winnings. There was 16 year old girl in the UK who won 3.1 million and six years later is broke while having to raise her 2 children.

The cash for life winnings are very modest by most standard and should go a long way toward supplementing a decent lifestyle. Those of you who think he should splurge and not work are wrong as the funds alone by no means will sustain a comfortable living environment.

He truly needs to sit down and get input from several financial counselors prior to going on a spending spree. In my opinion, a new BMW should be put on hold if he truly wants to go to college. Tuition/dorm and living expenses will take a sizable chunk out of his annual checks. 

I truly hope he gets proper advice from an expert and not his buddies and is able to live a gainful and prosperous life with the financial head start given to him.

I Agree!

Quote: Originally posted by mcginnin56 on Jun 15, 2012

And as any good newspaper writer knows, people don't want to read the complete boring facts. Sleep  Like with most stories of this nature, the details

are sometimes exaggerated to make the story more interesting, and give the newspaper higher readership.

The NY Post is more like a tabloid magazine than newspaper anyways. Can't blame Todd for simply conveying the story.  Poke

So true! I Agree!

faber98

he just doesn't appear to be college material. question is was he going to go before he won the cash? or is he now going because he can afford it? my guess is he is going to go to party. he just doesn't look like the student who will sit at a desk in his dorm room studying every night. when his college cohorts find out about the windfall (they will) guess who will be buying the kegs. he will be popular and some gold digging less than affluent college girl will attempt to get her mitts into him changing his life and goals.(if he has or had any). less than 20% of college student are successful in finding a real top paying job upon graduation. this guy more than likely won't (even graduate) so he is throwing his money away on a college education (somewhat of a scam in itself, unless you truly apply yourself). he has already accomplished the goal of most college students by at least more than doubling his earning potential. i still say invest the cash for 30 years and work a trade or a less stressful job and relax and wait for his annuity to mature.

DAMEDYLAN

Congratululations to him hopefully he puts the money to good use

sully16's avatarsully16

Congrats, I hope he goes to college.

Cletu$2's avatarCletu$2

College educations are over rated.Most kids go to college because it makes their folks happy.I think the kid will do alright with his $1,000 a week before taxes.He'll probably piss some of it away at first,it's only naturalat his age.Then he'll settle down and probably get a job and live quite comfortably with his annuity payments.I wish him luck and additional good fortune in life.

louise black

Quote: Originally posted by rdgrnr on Jun 13, 2012

Well! he's young let him enjoy himself ,he could have been robbing cars instead he buy a ticket and a good at that .Good  luck on your endeavor. Congrat!!!!!!!!!!!! to the young man.Banana

louise black

Quote: Originally posted by MississippiMudd on Jun 13, 2012

Why so negative? don't put a heck on the young before he recive the money. Be happy for himHurray!Oh! well be far from me to tell you how to be , be what ever get your feeling on.Thinking of...

IPlayWeekly's avatarIPlayWeekly

Good for him, to be young and to have hit... very lucky

THRIFTY's avatarTHRIFTY

Quote: Originally posted by Cletu$2 on Jun 16, 2012

College educations are over rated.Most kids go to college because it makes their folks happy.I think the kid will do alright with his $1,000 a week before taxes.He'll probably piss some of it away at first,it's only naturalat his age.Then he'll settle down and probably get a job and live quite comfortably with his annuity payments.I wish him luck and additional good fortune in life.

College is a great long term investment. Barrack Obama gets to bully rich people because he went to college, and he became our president. How about Warren Buffett? Or any CEO from a fortune 500 company?

Blue collar criminals Versus White collar Criminals?

THRIFTY's avatarTHRIFTY

What are we supposed to do now? We should go crazy spending money on instant scratch off games like the world will end tomorrow. Scratch off games are a joke, I will never spend money on them. Lottery across the US are cheating players buy printing out repeated numbers on Quick Pick Tickets to decrease our chances of winning.

RedStang's avatarRedStang

Quote: Originally posted by THRIFTY on Jun 17, 2012

What are we supposed to do now? We should go crazy spending money on instant scratch off games like the world will end tomorrow. Scratch off games are a joke, I will never spend money on them. Lottery across the US are cheating players buy printing out repeated numbers on Quick Pick Tickets to decrease our chances of winning.

Yes! You should spend all your money so you die broke.

mcginnin56

Quote: Originally posted by RedStang on Jun 17, 2012

As long as you start out RICH.  Lovies

THRIFTY's avatarTHRIFTY

Quote: Originally posted by RedStang on Jun 17, 2012

Warren Buffett is a THRIFTY rich man.

God wants us to die rich my friend.

IN GOD I TRUST.

KY Floyd's avatarKY Floyd

"God wants us to die rich my friend.

IN GOD I TRUST."

Tutu305's avatarTutu305

Great story!!

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story