Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 1:15 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

When buying scratch tickets do you buy one or at least two or more of the same ticket at a time?

Topic closed. 26 replies. Last post 4 years ago by ttech10.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #122468
February 1, 2012
530 Posts
Posted: June 18, 2012, 8:43 am - IP Logged

Hi,

I was wondering about people's buying habits for scratch tickets.  For instance I'm torn when it comes to scratch tickets on either buying one ticket or buying 2 tickets from the same game at a time. Lately I've been buying 2 tickets in a row from games hoping that if the first ticket wasn't a winner the second one would be. The downside to this is that lots of times neither tickets are winners and I've lost more money than I would have if I just bought one ticket.  I know I could just buy one ticket scratch it in the store and then buy another (I've done that a few times with no luck). Usually I don't like to scratch the tickets in the store and prefer to take them home, the reason being is that when I get into an addiction on scratchers it's much worse for me to do that than take them home and not spend any more money for the day. Sometimes I save my scratchers for a few days in order to stop me from buying any.

United States
    Member #111442
    May 25, 2011
    6323 Posts
    Posted: June 18, 2012, 8:57 am - IP Logged

always buy just two at a time, in addition to finding out what the next starting number is.

Never scratch anything in a store, don't want to look like some pathetic lottery loser lunatic. Crazy

Sometimes I take a peek into the wastebasket right next to the lotto vending machines, and see if I can spot a few sequencing tickets.

(ex. #042, 043, 044 are all in the basket. Many times I'll purchase a ticket from the machine and next ticket # is 045, and a winner). Banana

United States
      Member #122468
      February 1, 2012
      530 Posts
      Posted: June 18, 2012, 9:31 am - IP Logged

always buy just two at a time, in addition to finding out what the next starting number is.

Never scratch anything in a store, don't want to look like some pathetic lottery loser lunatic. Crazy

Sometimes I take a peek into the wastebasket right next to the lotto vending machines, and see if I can spot a few sequencing tickets.

(ex. #042, 043, 044 are all in the basket. Many times I'll purchase a ticket from the machine and next ticket # is 045, and a winner). Banana

Hi mcginnin,

Thanks for your response. So you also buy two tickets at a time. Sometimes if I'm deciding on what tickets to buy and I see someone who was buying a ticket and scratched it in the store and won on that ticket will not buy the next ticket.

United States
        Member #116268
        September 7, 2011
        20244 Posts
        Posted: June 18, 2012, 9:47 am - IP Logged

Hi mcginnin,

Thanks for your response. So you also buy two tickets at a time. Sometimes if I'm deciding on what tickets to buy and I see someone who was buying a ticket and scratched it in the store and won on that ticket will not buy the next ticket.

If you start buying 5 tickets at a time (10 is better) you wont have to dig through the garbage dumpster, or watch other people or calculate ticket numbers...... just scratch and win on every 4-5 tickets. Try it and see.

kings mountain
          United States
          Member #118667
          November 5, 2011
          208 Posts
          Posted: June 18, 2012, 9:55 am - IP Logged

If you start buying 5 tickets at a time (10 is better) you wont have to dig through the garbage dumpster, or watch other people or calculate ticket numbers...... just scratch and win on every 4-5 tickets. Try it and see.

going to buy 10 $1 tickets today, will post results.

United States
            Member #111442
            May 25, 2011
            6323 Posts
            Posted: June 18, 2012, 10:13 am - IP Logged

Thanks for the advice Ronnie. My tickets of choice are $10-20 scratchers, which have odds of between 1:3, and 1:4 of hitting a winner.

Buying 5+ tickets would definitely almost guarantee you a winner, but if getting $20 scratchers, that's spending $100-200 a pop; little pricey for me.

United States
              Member #122468
              February 1, 2012
              530 Posts
              Posted: June 18, 2012, 10:28 am - IP Logged

Thanks for the advice Ronnie. My tickets of choice are $10-20 scratchers, which have odds of between 1:3, and 1:4 of hitting a winner.

Buying 5+ tickets would definitely almost guarantee you a winner, but if getting $20 scratchers, that's spending $100-200 a pop; little pricey for me.

Hi,

Since you buy the 10 and 20 dollar tickets and buy 2 at a time how is that working for you. When I buy a 20 dollar ticket always buy one at a time due to the cost (I usually buy the 2 and 5 dollar tickets).

United States
                Member #111442
                May 25, 2011
                6323 Posts
                Posted: June 18, 2012, 10:34 am - IP Logged

Hi,

Since you buy the 10 and 20 dollar tickets and buy 2 at a time how is that working for you. When I buy a 20 dollar ticket always buy one at a time due to the cost (I usually buy the 2 and 5 dollar tickets).

On average out of 10 purchases, I usually hit 6-7 times. Long ago when I picked up just one ticket at a time, I was lucky to get 2 hits.

I don't even bother with $1-2 tickets, a lot of chump change winners. If I play $5 scratchers, I will sometimes get 3-4 at a time. Although I haven't

had a lot of luck in general with the $5 scratchers.

NEW YORK
                  United States
                  Member #90535
                  April 29, 2010
                  11976 Posts
                  Posted: June 18, 2012, 10:38 am - IP Logged

going to buy 10 $1 tickets today, will post results.

Why do you want to prolong the suffering of losing. Play shotgun style by buying a $10 scratch off instead of 10 $1 scratch off games . How about a $20, $30, or a $50 scratch off.

I hate the lottery so much that I play 5, or 10 lines in one shot.

US Flag

PLAY THE LOTTERY SOMEDAY-IT IS OKAY TO DREAM!

United States
                    Member #122468
                    February 1, 2012
                    530 Posts
                    Posted: June 18, 2012, 10:58 am - IP Logged

On average out of 10 purchases, I usually hit 6-7 times. Long ago when I picked up just one ticket at a time, I was lucky to get 2 hits.

I don't even bother with $1-2 tickets, a lot of chump change winners. If I play $5 scratchers, I will sometimes get 3-4 at a time. Although I haven't

had a lot of luck in general with the $5 scratchers.

Hi,

Wow to hit 6 to 7 times out of 10 purchases is fantastic. I find certain tickets are better than others. What I find to be a big dissapointment is when I buy a 20 dollar ticket and win nothing. There are many 20 dollar tickets that I've never won anything on, when that continues to happen I stop buying those tickets and wait a few months before trying my luck on them again. I just heard of a guy who won 10 million dollars on the mega cash at a Wegman's supermarket in Northboro, MA (that isn't even that far from me) why couldn't that have been me, lol.

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
                      Texas
                      United States
                      Member #55889
                      October 23, 2007
                      5591 Posts
                      Posted: June 18, 2012, 10:58 am - IP Logged

Why do you want to prolong the suffering of losing. Play shotgun style by buying a $10 scratch off instead of 10 $1 scratch off games . How about a $20, $30, or a $50 scratch off.

I hate the lottery so much that I play 5, or 10 lines in one shot.

"I hate the lottery so much that I play 5, or 10 lines in one shot."

Thrifty......

are you bi-polar?

You keep saying the lottery is rigged, you hate the lottery, save your money don't play, yada,yada. But you keep playing. Very confusing.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

NEW YORK
                        United States
                        Member #90535
                        April 29, 2010
                        11976 Posts
                        Posted: June 18, 2012, 11:13 am - IP Logged

"I hate the lottery so much that I play 5, or 10 lines in one shot."

Thrifty......

are you bi-polar?

You keep saying the lottery is rigged, you hate the lottery, save your money don't play, yada,yada. But you keep playing. Very confusing.

We all hate playing the lottery but some of us do not want to admit it.

I think they have a name for it. Gambling addiction.

US Flag

PLAY THE LOTTERY SOMEDAY-IT IS OKAY TO DREAM!

United States
                          Member #116268
                          September 7, 2011
                          20244 Posts
                          Posted: June 18, 2012, 3:48 pm - IP Logged

We all hate playing the lottery but some of us do not want to admit it.

I think they have a name for it. Gambling addiction.

Great post Thrifty. I love your wisdom!!

United States
                            Member #116268
                            September 7, 2011
                            20244 Posts
                            Posted: June 18, 2012, 3:56 pm - IP Logged

Hi,

I buy the $20, tickets as well.

It is pricey but I buy 10 every once in a while because I'm happy to loose a $100. for a chance at $500,000. The last time I bought 10 my win was $135. so I was happy..... No wait, I hated it....... No wait, I was happy............ No wait............. I'm not sure.

Goof

United States
                              Member #111442
                              May 25, 2011
                              6323 Posts
                              Posted: June 18, 2012, 4:03 pm - IP Logged

I buy the $20, tickets as well.

It is pricey but I buy 10 every once in a while because I'm happy to loose a $100. for a chance at $500,000. The last time I bought 10 my win was $135. so I was happy..... No wait, I hated it....... No wait, I was happy............ No wait............. I'm not sure.

Goof

Just flip a coin. What are the odds you'll be happy.  What?