Welcome Guest
You last visited October 22, 2017, 10:31 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

When buying scratch tickets do you buy one or at least two or more of the same ticket at a time?

Topic closed. 26 replies. Last post 5 years ago by ttech10.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Minnesnowta
United States
Member #125219
March 27, 2012
79 Posts
Posted: June 18, 2012, 4:15 pm - IP Logged

Just one. That's all you need. My best wins are from singles.

Making dreams on a 1-175 million chance...

Fools we are.

United States
    Member #116268
    September 7, 2011
    20244 Posts
    Posted: June 18, 2012, 4:46 pm - IP Logged

Just one. That's all you need. My best wins are from singles.

Do you also suggest the $1. ticket? Or is there a .50 cent ticket you know of?

That could be the worst advice ever given on LP.

Conehead

Minnesnowta
      United States
      Member #125219
      March 27, 2012
      79 Posts
      Posted: June 18, 2012, 11:57 pm - IP Logged

Okay. I'll go buy 1 $20.00 ticket and you buy 5 $20.00 tickets. We'll see who's ahead.

Making dreams on a 1-175 million chance...

Fools we are.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
        Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
        United States
        Member #73904
        April 28, 2009
        14903 Posts
        Posted: June 18, 2012, 11:59 pm - IP Logged

If there's ticket hawks there, you should buy at least two just to screw up their plans.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

Lucky5of5's avatar - Lottery-038.jpg
          Illinois
          United States
          Member #129173
          June 11, 2012
          87 Posts
          Posted: June 19, 2012, 2:53 am - IP Logged

I read online several months ago to buy at least 8 scratchers of the same game. I bought six and made a small profit. Before I buy any now, I check to see how many unclaimed prizes are left in each prize group. If there's not many unclaimed prizes left, I won't buy scratchers on that particular game.

B$Rizzle's avatar - a4leds
            The Ville, FL
            United States
            Member #95879
            August 19, 2010
            1708 Posts
            Posted: June 19, 2012, 8:25 am - IP Logged

I buy the $20, tickets as well.

It is pricey but I buy 10 every once in a while because I'm happy to loose a $100. for a chance at $500,000. The last time I bought 10 my win was $135. so I was happy..... No wait, I hated it....... No wait, I was happy............ No wait............. I'm not sure.

Goof

Big Smile

Anytime I see thrifty's posts, I just keep on movin. If you seen one,you seen em all

B$Rizzle's avatar - a4leds
              The Ville, FL
              United States
              Member #95879
              August 19, 2010
              1708 Posts
              Posted: June 19, 2012, 8:36 am - IP Logged

Hi,

I was wondering about people's buying habits for scratch tickets.  For instance I'm torn when it comes to scratch tickets on either buying one ticket or buying 2 tickets from the same game at a time. Lately I've been buying 2 tickets in a row from games hoping that if the first ticket wasn't a winner the second one would be. The downside to this is that lots of times neither tickets are winners and I've lost more money than I would have if I just bought one ticket.  I know I could just buy one ticket scratch it in the store and then buy another (I've done that a few times with no luck). Usually I don't like to scratch the tickets in the store and prefer to take them home, the reason being is that when I get into an addiction on scratchers it's much worse for me to do that than take them home and not spend any more money for the day. Sometimes I save my scratchers for a few days in order to stop me from buying any.

To answer your question:

I typically buy 1 ticket at a time from multiple games. If I plan on spending $50 bux for example, I'll buy 2 different $20 games and either a single $10, or 2 $5's...

I rarely buy 2+ at a time from same book. Many people tend to buy several in a row, but cherry picking the games has seemed to work out best for me. In the past I have tried buying several from the same book and all it has done is make me regret it when all of them are losers.

Also, even though it is possible to get multiple winners in a row, if a person buys 5 x $20 scratchers in a row and the first is a winner of lets say $50, the remaining 4 are probably losers.

I rarely win on the $5 games in my area so I usually buy the $3, $10's & $20 games.

dallascowboyfan's avatar - chi
                Oklahoma
                United States
                Member #82391
                November 12, 2009
                6341 Posts
                Posted: June 19, 2012, 9:26 am - IP Logged

Hi Shy,

DH & I only play scratchers when were in Texas(cause OK scratchers suck)Mad we usually play the $5, $10 & $20 tickets depending if it's a new roll we may buy two at one time(1 for him & 1 for me) mostly we buy one ticket at a time and we always scratch our tickets in the car.

I Love Pink & Green 1908

United States
                  Member #116268
                  September 7, 2011
                  20244 Posts
                  Posted: June 19, 2012, 9:49 am - IP Logged

To answer your question:

I typically buy 1 ticket at a time from multiple games. If I plan on spending $50 bux for example, I'll buy 2 different $20 games and either a single $10, or 2 $5's...

I rarely buy 2+ at a time from same book. Many people tend to buy several in a row, but cherry picking the games has seemed to work out best for me. In the past I have tried buying several from the same book and all it has done is make me regret it when all of them are losers.

Also, even though it is possible to get multiple winners in a row, if a person buys 5 x $20 scratchers in a row and the first is a winner of lets say $50, the remaining 4 are probably losers.

I rarely win on the $5 games in my area so I usually buy the $3, $10's & $20 games.

Wait..... so you are saying that you would be happy if the first was a loser and the other 4 were $5. winners each? Because I'm sure the lottery would be happy to give you $20. return instead of $50. Thing is....... That's not how the game works.

Every 4-5 tickets are PRINTED as winners, so when you buy just 1 -2 tickets you are guaranteed to be a LOSER at least 50% (or more) of the time. You may spend less money in the long run, but you are still a loser none the less. lol.

You can be assured of getting 50% back ONLY if you "take a large sample size"

ILLotteryman's avatar - scenery water_mountains.jpg
                    Chicago, IL
                    United States
                    Member #114234
                    July 26, 2011
                    429 Posts
                    Posted: June 24, 2012, 5:01 pm - IP Logged

I personally like Lucky5of5's advice. The IL Lottery posts an updated weekly count on a pdf document how many prizes are left per scratch-off game and I like to buy the ones which have more prizes remaining. Its just a matter of odds. In regards of how many to buy, I try to buy at least 3, 4 or 5 at a time in a row depending on the cost of the tickets.

ILLotteryMan Signing Out

Major IL Lottery Winnings: 06/29/11 (784), 08/07/11 (678), 08/15/11 (056), 08/16/11 (759 Midday + 579 Evening), 08/22/11 (101), 08/26/11 (668), Instants: $50 Wheel of Fortune!

Stormiela's avatar - 170px 051Dugtrio.png
                      Phoenix, AZ
                      United States
                      Member #120254
                      December 14, 2011
                      91 Posts
                      Posted: June 25, 2012, 12:15 am - IP Logged

For me personally

$1 tickets: Five at a time
                      $2 tickets: Usually just two or three
                      $3 tickets: We only have 1 $3 ticket and I never buy it so this doesn't apply.
                      $5 tickets: Two at a time
                      $10 tickets: One at a time. MAYBE one more if I feel lucky. But never more than two.
                      $20 tickets: One at a time but I RARELY buy them...To me $20 bucks is too much to lose in one shot.

I suppose in general I like setting an amount to spend (like $10 for example) and then just figuring out a bunch of different tickets I want.
                      I'm on a scratch off break though, so no worries at the moment ;)

ttech10's avatar - blobdude
                        Texas
                        United States
                        Member #92330
                        June 5, 2010
                        887 Posts
                        Posted: June 25, 2012, 8:20 pm - IP Logged

If it's a $5 or below ticket I'll sometimes find myself buying at least 2, but higher than that and it's just one. It paid off yesterday, I bought two of the same $5 ticket and won $100 on the second one bought.