Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 7:21 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Help with Prediction Needed

Topic closed. 18 replies. Last post 4 years ago by martor854.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Edinburgh
United Kingdom
Member #97833
September 24, 2010
41 Posts
Posted: July 31, 2012, 5:00 am - IP Logged

Hi AlgorithmGuru,

Thanks a lot for the info. It is exactly what I've been looking for. I'll get the book somehow and... get my nose on the grindstone. It is obvious you do know your stuff. Thanks again for your help.

Best regards,

martor854

United Kingdom
    Member #70630
    February 7, 2009
    734 Posts
    Posted: August 2, 2012, 8:38 am - IP Logged

Hi AlgorithmGuru,

Thank you for your contribution. I find it very fair and sensible. I have my doubts, too, that past, independent occurrences can help with predicting new ones. So, all that remains is probability. But, maybe I’m wrong.

Your view is interesting but I don’t know what an XmR chart is. I’d appreciate it if you could give an example or indicate where I can get one.

Intuitively, I’m inclined to go for Markov chains/model (like somebody else suggested) as I think our problem is similar to predicting the weather. I’m only scratching the surface. My lack of training in maths will make it difficult, though. I must find a “hands-on” example. If I make any progress, I'll keep everybody posted.

Best regards,

martor854

Hi martor854,

Try this it may help.

https://www.box.com/s/cae29ed0dfeff2eb0145

Sometimes we can't see the woods for tree's, " so we have to clear a path "

SergeM's avatar - slow icon.png
      Economy class
      Belgium
      Member #123700
      February 27, 2012
      4035 Posts
      Posted: August 2, 2012, 9:03 am - IP Logged

If you use Bayes for pick 3, then you might think that all combinations will happen in 1000 drawings for pick 3. In the real world, that would just be too easy. Here we passed 3000 drawings and several combinations did not appear.

By randomness for 3000 drawings it could be "000" in pick 3 every time. In the real world, I cannot believe that the organizers of a lottery will let this pass.

Edinburgh
        United Kingdom
        Member #97833
        September 24, 2010
        41 Posts
        Posted: August 3, 2012, 1:44 am - IP Logged

Hi billibuoy,

Thanks. I already have the file from you. Please, see my PM.

Hi SergeM,

That's an interesting viewpoint. Thank you for the contribution. I'll check it.

Best regards to you both,

martor854