Welcome Guest
You last visited December 2, 2016, 7:21 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Should Minors Be Allowed To Play The Lotteries?

Topic closed. 66 replies. Last post 4 years ago by mcginnin56.

Page 3 of 5
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #111442
May 25, 2011
6323 Posts
Posted: November 13, 2012, 7:22 am - IP Logged

they still play marbles What? 

maybe like 200 years ago Jester Laugh 

Jester

You never played marbles LottoGuyBC. What?

What a tragedy, it is a rite of passage for all boys.

I still have my original set including some "Poppers", I would be happy to loan you.  Big Smile

United States
    Member #111442
    May 25, 2011
    6323 Posts
    Posted: November 13, 2012, 8:47 am - IP Logged

Recently I saw a lottery vending machine in a new supermarket that had just opened near me.  What's to stop an underage person from using it? 

I dont think kids under the age of 18 should play the lottery.  That said, it is the young people of legal age that should be playing. (But they should play responsibly)

I say that because they have time on their side.  Did you ever notice that many big jackpot winners say they "have been playing for years but never won anything"?   Recently, in New York State, a woman who owned a lotto subscription for 16 years won (net) 7 million dollars.  She said she was shocked when The NYS Lottery called her to tell her she won because she never bothered to check her numbers.   16 years as a subscriber, talk about patience and persistence.

If you look at the publicity pictures of many winners, I think you'll see a higher number of elderly faces.  Why is that?  Could it be that more older people are regular players than young people?  In New England, there's Lucky for Life.  A game where players can win $7,000 dollars a week for life.  But if you look at the winners pictures on Lucky for Life's website, you wont see as many young faces as you do older faces......  The young people in New England should be all over that game.  Can you imagine being 25 years old and winning 7 grand a week for the rest of your life?  What if you were 25 and won, and lived to be 95?????

The younger crowd don't have the patience and longevity that the elderly players do.

In the end, many jackpots are won by long years of steady patience and persistence.  Big Grin Angel

United States
      Member #116268
      September 7, 2011
      20244 Posts
      Posted: November 13, 2012, 8:50 am - IP Logged

You never played marbles LottoGuyBC. What?

What a tragedy, it is a rite of passage for all boys.

I still have my original set including some "Poppers", I would be happy to loan you.  Big Smile

"Poppers" has a whole new meaning for a minor today...........

United States
        Member #130815
        July 25, 2012
        1636 Posts
        Posted: November 13, 2012, 8:54 am - IP Logged

Recently I saw a lottery vending machine in a new supermarket that had just opened near me.  What's to stop an underage person from using it? 

I dont think kids under the age of 18 should play the lottery.  That said, it is the young people of legal age that should be playing. (But they should play responsibly)

I say that because they have time on their side.  Did you ever notice that many big jackpot winners say they "have been playing for years but never won anything"?   Recently, in New York State, a woman who owned a lotto subscription for 16 years won (net) 7 million dollars.  She said she was shocked when The NYS Lottery called her to tell her she won because she never bothered to check her numbers.   16 years as a subscriber, talk about patience and persistence.

If you look at the publicity pictures of many winners, I think you'll see a higher number of elderly faces.  Why is that?  Could it be that more older people are regular players than young people?  In New England, there's Lucky for Life.  A game where players can win $7,000 dollars a week for life.  But if you look at the winners pictures on Lucky for Life's website, you wont see as many young faces as you do older faces......  The young people in New England should be all over that game.  Can you imagine being 25 years old and winning 7 grand a week for the rest of your life?  What if you were 25 and won, and lived to be 95?????

Is it really "for life"? cause here in N.C. "for life" means 20 years..... on our "for life" games....

United States
          Member #116268
          September 7, 2011
          20244 Posts
          Posted: November 13, 2012, 8:58 am - IP Logged

Is it really "for life"? cause here in N.C. "for life" means 20 years..... on our "for life" games....

In AZ they changed it to mean......  "ONE YEAR"    They advertise BIG, $1000. a week for........

A YEAR.......?????????.........

United States
            Member #111442
            May 25, 2011
            6323 Posts
            Posted: November 13, 2012, 9:08 am - IP Logged

I've played this New England game from inception, and it is literally guaranteed for life.

If you win at the age of 18 and live to be 98, you will be paid $1000 a day for 80 years. ($29,200,000.00)

United States
              Member #111442
              May 25, 2011
              6323 Posts
              Posted: November 13, 2012, 9:12 am - IP Logged

In AZ they changed it to mean......  "ONE YEAR"    They advertise BIG, $1000. a week for........

A YEAR.......?????????.........

Perhaps Arizonans have shorter lifespans than other Americans. What?

United States
                Member #116268
                September 7, 2011
                20244 Posts
                Posted: November 13, 2012, 9:19 am - IP Logged

Perhaps Arizonans have shorter lifespans than other Americans. What?

I suppose a year is a good "life" for anyone who crawls around the desert floor with the Gila Monsters. What?

United States
                  Member #116268
                  September 7, 2011
                  20244 Posts
                  Posted: November 13, 2012, 10:29 am - IP Logged

I Agree! The states are thirsty for larger and larger amounts of disposable cash.......

United States
                    Member #130815
                    July 25, 2012
                    1636 Posts
                    Posted: November 14, 2012, 7:29 pm - IP Logged

I tried one of those lottery vending machines in Harris Teeter's tonight....you have to scan your driver's license to use it...after verifying your age then you can play...or rather buy your tickets

United States
                      Member #130815
                      July 25, 2012
                      1636 Posts
                      Posted: November 14, 2012, 7:31 pm - IP Logged

I've played this New England game from inception, and it is literally guaranteed for life.

If you win at the age of 18 and live to be 98, you will be paid $1000 a day for 80 years. ($29,200,000.00)

Now that's a scratch-off I'd play all the time......Guess I gotta get to New England

United States
                        Member #116268
                        September 7, 2011
                        20244 Posts
                        Posted: November 14, 2012, 7:32 pm - IP Logged

I tried one of those lottery vending machines in Harris Teeter's tonight....you have to scan your driver's license to use it...after verifying your age then you can play...or rather buy your tickets

Not in AZ, anyone can walk up to any of the vending machines at any time and use them. I'm not sure if they have a camera in them like an ATM machine but I wouldn't be surprised.

United States
                          Member #116268
                          September 7, 2011
                          20244 Posts
                          Posted: November 14, 2012, 7:37 pm - IP Logged

I wonder if a minor could use the machine and then get denied payment on a big prize even if it were a parent making a claim on the prize...  What?

United States
                            Member #111442
                            May 25, 2011
                            6323 Posts
                            Posted: November 14, 2012, 7:39 pm - IP Logged

Now that's a scratch-off I'd play all the time......Guess I gotta get to New England

You can play it all the time b2b, but it's an online game, not a scratcher.

BTW you can play that or any other online game on several online gaming sites. No need to travel to N.E.

Although it's beautiful here, and we have no pesky Gila Monsters running around.

United States
                              Member #111442
                              May 25, 2011
                              6323 Posts
                              Posted: November 14, 2012, 7:43 pm - IP Logged

Not in AZ, anyone can walk up to any of the vending machines at any time and use them. I'm not sure if they have a camera in them like an ATM machine but I wouldn't be surprised.

Same in NH. If you can stuff some bills in the slot, your in the game.

I think a semi-trained chimp could do it.

Maybe even a slow learning dolphin.