Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 4:55 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Do Some Number Combinations Have Better Odds? No All Combinations Have The Same Chances Of Winning.

Topic closed. 54 replies. Last post 4 years ago by LottoBoner.

Page 2 of 4
PrintE-mailLink
NEW YORK
United States
Member #90535
April 29, 2010
11982 Posts
Posted: December 3, 2012, 7:29 pm - IP Logged

Apparently you've never bought multiple QP lines on a single ticket.  The same number showing up in more than one line happens all the time.

He only plays a single line. Thanks

US Flag

PLAY THE LOTTERY SOMEDAY-IT IS OKAY TO DREAM!

NEW YORK
    United States
    Member #90535
    April 29, 2010
    11982 Posts
    Posted: December 3, 2012, 7:35 pm - IP Logged

And the 5 and the 26.

There is no way a RNG calculated this.

This player choose some numbers and then let the computer do the rest.Wink

But the 16 is key.

How are going to get the 16 in three games with a gazillion possible combinations???What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?

I thought that the lottery RNG was cheating, because I have gotten many repeated numbers on a quick pick ticket, whenever I play more than a single line.

I started this thread with the posted ticket to see the reaction, and you were the first one to react to it. lol

US Flag

NEW YORK
      United States
      Member #90535
      April 29, 2010
      11982 Posts
      Posted: December 3, 2012, 8:12 pm - IP Logged

And the 5 and the 26.

But the 16 is key.

How are going to get the 16 in three games with a gazillion possible combinations???What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?What?

BE WATER MY FRIEND. DO NOT FEAR REPEATED NUMBERS ON A MULTIPLE LINES QUICK PICK TICKET.FOR EXAMPLE, NUMBERS 5-16-26 and 45 ON THE POSTED $10 POWERBALL QUICK PICK TICKET.

AND NO IT WAS NOT A PARTIAL QUICK PICK TICKET.

US Flag

Kentucky
        United States
        Member #32652
        February 14, 2006
        7314 Posts
        Posted: December 3, 2012, 8:16 pm - IP Logged

Where is Ronnie, RJOH and STACK47? I know that they have some explanation for this.

It looks like the ticket is self explanatory; the winner bought at least five $2 tickets. The only other logical comment is the next time you say "it only takes one ticket" remember the winning line was the third line. And only the winner knows if he bought 9 or 90 more $10 tickets, all with a third line.

Kentucky
          United States
          Member #32652
          February 14, 2006
          7314 Posts
          Posted: December 3, 2012, 8:19 pm - IP Logged

I thought that the lottery RNG was cheating, because I have gotten many repeated numbers on a quick pick ticket, whenever I play more than a single line.

I started this thread with the posted ticket to see the reaction, and you were the first one to react to it. lol

"I thought that the lottery RNG was cheating, because I have gotten many repeated numbers on a quick pick ticket"

Make up your mind because it shouldn't matter which five number combos are on multi-line tickets because you believe "all combinations have the same chance of winning". Now your saying you felt cheated because you thought certain combos do have better odds. Bet the US gymnastics team is envious of your ability to flip flop.

NEW YORK
            United States
            Member #90535
            April 29, 2010
            11982 Posts
            Posted: December 3, 2012, 8:22 pm - IP Logged

It looks like the ticket is self explanatory; the winner bought at least five $2 tickets. The only other logical comment is the next time you say "it only takes one ticket" remember the winning line was the third line. And only the winner knows if he bought 9 or 90 more $10 tickets, all with a third line.

They won the jackpot with the posted $10 Powerball quick pick ticket.

US Flag

NEW YORK
              United States
              Member #90535
              April 29, 2010
              11982 Posts
              Posted: December 3, 2012, 8:24 pm - IP Logged

"I thought that the lottery RNG was cheating, because I have gotten many repeated numbers on a quick pick ticket"

Make up your mind because it shouldn't matter which five number combos are on multi-line tickets because you believe "all combinations have the same chance of winning". Now your saying you felt cheated because you thought certain combos do have better odds. Bet the US gymnastics team is envious of your ability to flip flop.

THIS $10 POWERBALL QUICK PICK TICKET TAUGHT ME A LESSON.

US Flag

Kentucky
                United States
                Member #32652
                February 14, 2006
                7314 Posts
                Posted: December 3, 2012, 8:39 pm - IP Logged

They won the jackpot with the posted $10 Powerball quick pick ticket.

I'd estimate over 90% of all the tickets sold for the record jackpot were QPs so the odds favored a QP winning the jackpot. What's your estimate?

NEW YORK
                  United States
                  Member #90535
                  April 29, 2010
                  11982 Posts
                  Posted: December 3, 2012, 8:48 pm - IP Logged

I'd estimate over 90% of all the tickets sold for the record jackpot were QPs so the odds favored a QP winning the jackpot. What's your estimate?

WHICH HAS THE BETTER CHANCE OF WINNING: COMPUTER PICKS OR PLAYER PICKS?
                  About 70% to 80% of purchases are computer picks. About 70% to80% of winners are computer picks. Perhaps just one of those weird coincidences?

HOW COME THE ONLY JACKPOT WINNERS ARE FROM THE [EAST - WEST - NORTH - SOUTH - CITIES - RURAL AREAS]?
                  HOW COME ONLY [WHITE, BLACK, TALL, SKINNY, YOUNG, OLD] PEOPLE WIN?
                  Powerball is a random game that knows nothing about who buys a ticket or where a ticket is purchased. There really is no white/black/old/young/rich/poor, etc.] button on the machine. If one draws a box around some group of players (eg., state border, hair color, shoe size), then that group of players will win in proportion to their play. If the defined group buys 10% of the tickets, then they will win 10% of the prizes - on average and over a reasonable period of time. But that does NOT mean that you have a better chance of winning in a bigger box - you then just have more folks to play against. The Law of Large numbers explains how random expectations become truer as the number of occurrences increases. So, if players in a particular group buy 8.6754% of the tickets, then we will find, if the number of occurrences (prizes awarded) are large enough, that those players win 8.6754% of the prizes. This is definitely true for the low-tier prizes where there are large numbers of winners. With 12 to 15 jackpot winners in a year, we would expect that these percentages can get out of sync with sales from time to time, but as the number of jackpot winners continues to increase, we will find that the percentage numbers move closer and closer to being the same number. Try this experiment. Flip a coin four times. You might get 75% heads - or even 100%. You would not expect to get excited about that. With only ten flips, it can happen. But then flip it 1,000 times (no cheating). You will come much closer to the statistical expectation of 50% heads. If you hit 75% heads after 1,000 flips, then something is wrong. It really does NOT make any difference where you buy your ticket. It is you a against the draw machine. By POWERBALL.COM

US Flag

NEW YORK
                    United States
                    Member #90535
                    April 29, 2010
                    11982 Posts
                    Posted: December 3, 2012, 8:52 pm - IP Logged

HOW TO WIN THE LOTTERY BY NOT PLAYING=SAVE YOUR MONEY.

I WILL PLAY THE LOTTERY SOMEDAY TO AVOID THE LOTTERY INSANITY. IT IS OKAY TO DREAM.

I AM A THRIFTY LOTTERY PLAYER BECAUSE I SAVE LINES TO PLAY SOMEDAY.

OUR REGULAR LOTTERY PROGRAMMING.

1) Playing the lottery more often for less lines= Playing a single line.

2) Playing the lottery less often for more lines= Playing multiple lines.

3) Playing the lottery less often for less lines= Playing a single line monthly or yearly.

4) Playing the lottery more often for more lines= Spending more money= Gambling addiction.

I SET A LOTTERY STOP LOSS LIMIT TO MINIMIZE MY LOSSES.

A lottery stop loss limit is very important to be a successful lottery player over the long term.

GOOD LUCK EVERYBODY.

US Flag

Kentucky
                      United States
                      Member #32652
                      February 14, 2006
                      7314 Posts
                      Posted: December 3, 2012, 8:57 pm - IP Logged

THIS $10 POWERBALL QUICK PICK TICKET TAUGHT ME A LESSON.

If the QPs are distributed randomly as they claim, I wouldn't expect to get 10 QPs with 50 different numbers. The drawings are random too so just look at the number distribution of any 10 drawings and it should be similar to 10 QPs.

If anything, you should learn that just because they show the winning ticket it doesn't mean the winner only bought one ticket. We know for a fact this winner bought at least five tickets and your guess is as good as mine if he bought more tickets.

Kentucky
                        United States
                        Member #32652
                        February 14, 2006
                        7314 Posts
                        Posted: December 3, 2012, 9:24 pm - IP Logged

WHICH HAS THE BETTER CHANCE OF WINNING: COMPUTER PICKS OR PLAYER PICKS?
                        About 70% to 80% of purchases are computer picks. About 70% to80% of winners are computer picks. Perhaps just one of those weird coincidences?

HOW COME THE ONLY JACKPOT WINNERS ARE FROM THE [EAST - WEST - NORTH - SOUTH - CITIES - RURAL AREAS]?
                        HOW COME ONLY [WHITE, BLACK, TALL, SKINNY, YOUNG, OLD] PEOPLE WIN?
                        Powerball is a random game that knows nothing about who buys a ticket or where a ticket is purchased. There really is no white/black/old/young/rich/poor, etc.] button on the machine. If one draws a box around some group of players (eg., state border, hair color, shoe size), then that group of players will win in proportion to their play. If the defined group buys 10% of the tickets, then they will win 10% of the prizes - on average and over a reasonable period of time. But that does NOT mean that you have a better chance of winning in a bigger box - you then just have more folks to play against. The Law of Large numbers explains how random expectations become truer as the number of occurrences increases. So, if players in a particular group buy 8.6754% of the tickets, then we will find, if the number of occurrences (prizes awarded) are large enough, that those players win 8.6754% of the prizes. This is definitely true for the low-tier prizes where there are large numbers of winners. With 12 to 15 jackpot winners in a year, we would expect that these percentages can get out of sync with sales from time to time, but as the number of jackpot winners continues to increase, we will find that the percentage numbers move closer and closer to being the same number. Try this experiment. Flip a coin four times. You might get 75% heads - or even 100%. You would not expect to get excited about that. With only ten flips, it can happen. But then flip it 1,000 times (no cheating). You will come much closer to the statistical expectation of 50% heads. If you hit 75% heads after 1,000 flips, then something is wrong. It really does NOT make any difference where you buy your ticket. It is you a against the draw machine. By POWERBALL.COM

There is no shame in acknowledging you don't have a clue how to estimate the percentage of self picks.

That's very old news and the same old flippant answer on their web site when the ticket price was only a $1. They could tell us the exact QP to self pick ratio on every drawing, the exact jackpot winning ratio, and the exact 5 + 0 winning ratios, but they don't. My estimate of 10% self picks was on the extremely low side because 28 million self picks for that one drawing is higher than the total number of tickets sold when the jackpot was $185 million.

NY
                          United States
                          Member #23835
                          October 16, 2005
                          3474 Posts
                          Posted: December 4, 2012, 12:32 am - IP Logged

And the 5 and the 26.

But the 16 is key.

"How are going to get the 16 in three games with a gazillion possible combinations?"

Individual numbers and combinations are two different things.  Why don't you tell us that the actual odds of having the same number in 3 of 5 lines are?

Lucky Loser's avatar - bucks
                            Texas
                            United States
                            Member #86154
                            January 30, 2010
                            1649 Posts
                            Posted: December 4, 2012, 11:44 am - IP Logged

If the QPs are distributed randomly as they claim, I wouldn't expect to get 10 QPs with 50 different numbers. The drawings are random too so just look at the number distribution of any 10 drawings and it should be similar to 10 QPs.

If anything, you should learn that just because they show the winning ticket it doesn't mean the winner only bought one ticket. We know for a fact this winner bought at least five tickets and your guess is as good as mine if he bought more tickets.

Very good answer, Stack. All these games have the bi-product of permutation in common. So, it's actually a good thing to have repeat numbers, in my opinion, because that's how matching combinations are produced in the first place. Also, I like your point of a single ticket being shown which contains the winning line. I said a while back elsewhere that so many people see such occurrences where a person may have spent "X" amount of money on tickets, won, and then told others, "All I spent was $60 and I won!"

Well, how many times did he actually spend $60 dollars? How many others spent the same $60 and didn't win on that same draw, or, the next (10) draws with the same amount of money? Hell, what about the guy that spent $120 and didn't get anything? With the jackpot games, it's very unwise to become caught up in what appears to be a simple win with any reasonable amount of money be it QP or self pick numbers.

L.L.

Small games, frequent wins, and regular payouts 'cause.....

There are seven days in the week...'Someday' isn't one of them.

#lotto-4-a-living

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                              mid-Ohio
                              United States
                              Member #9
                              March 24, 2001
                              19829 Posts
                              Posted: December 4, 2012, 12:41 pm - IP Logged

"How are going to get the 16 in three games with a gazillion possible combinations?"

Individual numbers and combinations are two different things.  Why don't you tell us that the actual odds of having the same number in 3 of 5 lines are?

MATCH     ODDS
                              5/5+B   1 : 175223510
                              5/5+0   1 : 5153633
                              4/5+B   1 : 648976
                              4/5+0   1 : 19088
                              3/5+B   1 : 12245
                              3/5+0   1 : 360
                              2/5+B   1 : 706
                              1/5+B   1 : 111
                              0/5+B   1 : 55

The same chart that gives you the odds of matching the winning numbers is same as the one that gives you the odds of matching any set of numbers or single number, you just has to remember the number of possible combinations you are working with.  As you can see from the expanded chart below, the odds of any combination having at least one number from another combination are 1:3

MATCH     ODDS
                              5/5+B   1 : 175223510
                              5/5+0   1 : 5153633
                              4/5+B   1 : 648976
                              4/5+0   1 : 19088
                              3/5+B   1 : 12245
                              3/5+0   1 : 360
                              2/5+B   1 : 706
                              2/5+0   1 : 21
                              1/5+B   1 : 111
                              1/5+0   1 : 3
                              0/5+B   1 : 55

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking