Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 5:20 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

I hate scratch offs

Topic closed. 28 replies. Last post 4 years ago by dk1421.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
Oklahoma
United States
Member #82391
November 12, 2009
6290 Posts
Posted: January 20, 2013, 4:49 pm - IP Logged

With scratch offs there are gazillion of techniques to figure them out, so people who works with them can already pick crop of the crop leaving customers with empty tickets.

Yep I Agree!

I Love Pink & Green 1908

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
    Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
    United States
    Member #73904
    April 28, 2009
    14903 Posts
    Posted: January 20, 2013, 5:05 pm - IP Logged

Well rdgrnr, you have to come down out of the hills and enjoy some life's luxury's......we have vending machines in middle tennessee and the best part is

no clerk to deal with.......... but you better have a nice dollar bill it won't take no crappy bill......ha ha

was at publix grocery store and noticed the manager loading a new roll....of giant jumbo bucks.....i wanted to buy the first one ........loser....... o well

i will only by one scratcher a week......period.

What?!

Yeah it figures the Dragon Lady would put 'em in the Nashville area so she doesn't have to deal with the clerk/jerks herself.

I've never once seen one anywhere on this end of the state.

She probably hates us po' white trash, hillbilly, redneck, stump-jumpin' ridgerunners back up in here.

For some reason.

IPlayWeekly's avatar - avatarmoney
      Columbus, Ohio
      United States
      Member #128906
      June 5, 2012
      591 Posts
      Posted: January 21, 2013, 5:32 pm - IP Logged

Scratch offs aren't my thing

topnail's avatar - Lottery-021.jpg
        Boise
        United States
        Member #127183
        April 25, 2012
        394 Posts
        Posted: January 22, 2013, 12:58 am - IP Logged

dont try any scratch offs please !

P***ed

Columbia, SC
          United States
          Member #135285
          November 21, 2012
          584 Posts
          Posted: January 22, 2013, 7:54 am - IP Logged

I hardly ever purchase scratch offs, but a couple of weeks ago, I had a couple of dollars while paying for gas, so thought, what the heck! I purchased 5 , one dollar scratch offs....I was amazed that I won 20 bucks....Of course, I run back in the store, and thought, I'm gonna go big this time, so I spent my 20 dollars on two 10 dollar scratch offs...Didn't win a dime...I thought, Dang, I should've at least one a dollar!!  Anyway, at that point, I swore not to purchase any more 10 dolllar tickets, and if the urge hits me again, to stick with the less expensive. I'm beginning to think I'm on Lady Luck's naughty list though, because just a couple of days ago, my mom and I each purchased a cheap scratch off, and I won nothing, but she won 50.00. That was the first lottery ticket she'd ever purchased. She was so sweet though and gave me half of the profit. I played it smarter this time and pocketed the money instead of buying more scratch offs during the heat of the moment excitement...

"If you can DREAM it, you can DO it!"- Walt Disney

Texas
            United States
            Member #138228
            January 22, 2013
            1 Posts
            Posted: January 22, 2013, 1:24 pm - IP Logged

Texas Scratch Offs are not what they used to be. I typically buy a minimum of $20 of scratch off tickets each week. They are not paying off like they started out. Yesterday I purchased a new scratch off ticket AMAZING 8's. To win you, you must get 3 matching amounts or 2 amounts and an '8' symbol. Well, I had two matching amounts and an 888 but it was not a winner. I felt it is misleading.

I would like to know if there are reports showing the on going profit from the Texas lottery scratch offs. ft it is a matter of too much overhead...that is a problem they need to fix. Put the fun back into the games as it should be!

dk1421's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
              North Carolina
              United States
              Member #64582
              September 1, 2008
              347 Posts
              Posted: January 23, 2013, 10:14 am - IP Logged

The only reason I buy scratch-offs occasionally, is because I win maybe $2 a year off my PB & MM tickets. Total. Seriously. So scratch-offs help me pay for playing for the big wins.

There is one store I like in particular and this one clerk had the magic touch. However, I haven't seen her in ages, so I think the magic has left there (haven't bought a real winning one there in ages). In fact, I've been wondering if some of the clerks have been doing the little scratch with their fingernail to grab the winning ones since I haven't won anything (although, truthfully, I haven't seen any scratches and they are usually too busy doing stuff when I walk in so they don't have time to do stuff like that).

However, I find I feel better when I buy from the vending machine. That way I KNOW that there is no scratch and that I could have a winner.

If I know I'm going to buy a SO, I do go online and check to see what ones still have lots of winners. I've been buying the $1000/week for Life because it still hasn't had a winner - but it started the end of August! All the others have had winners ($500, $2500, $5000/week) but this one hasn't yet. And the big ones have only had 1 winner, out of 3. So I'm starting to smell an NC lottery rat. Seriously - since August? It's freaking almost February!

Usually, I win more on the more expensive tickets - and the odds are better.

Also - there is an app that ranks the scratch-offs in your state for best odds vs. how many winners are left. Pretty cool - when it works. He just updated it, so it should work for a bit longer until you realize it hasn't updated in ages.

"Don't be a schmuck, always take the cash." -Coin Toss

Columbia, SC
                United States
                Member #135285
                November 21, 2012
                584 Posts
                Posted: January 23, 2013, 10:42 pm - IP Logged

The one thing I do hate about scratch offs that sadly is there are so many of them wich makes it impossible to know (without research) which ones have already had the jackpot wins...The few I've purchased have been spur of the moment, and with my luck, the jackpot was probably already won....The clerks never keep up with this information...at least, not at the stores I buy from....

"If you can DREAM it, you can DO it!"- Walt Disney

HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
                  Idaho
                  United States
                  Member #94283
                  July 17, 2010
                  2284 Posts
                  Posted: January 24, 2013, 12:34 pm - IP Logged

The one thing I do hate about scratch offs that sadly is there are so many of them wich makes it impossible to know (without research) which ones have already had the jackpot wins...The few I've purchased have been spur of the moment, and with my luck, the jackpot was probably already won....The clerks never keep up with this information...at least, not at the stores I buy from....

In Idaho, they say they remove scratch offs when all of the top prizes are gone.  However, I knew of one convenience store retailer who kept selling them until the lottery came and took them.  That could take a week.

I looked around the SC lottery site and couldn't find one thing about scratch games.  Either their web site sucks or I'm blind.

United States
                    Member #138296
                    January 24, 2013
                    28 Posts
                    Posted: January 24, 2013, 12:55 pm - IP Logged

A relative won $5k/week for life on a $10 scratcher. No, I aint falling for it. It's a scam. Winners are posted on web site, and with 3 or 4 in NY state, odds are bad.Thus, stick playing Sweet Million for $10 instead of 1 card for $10.Or even Take5. $10 of Win4 for 1:1000 for $50k.

RedStang's avatar - tallman zps6gf4inoc.jpg
                      NY
                      United States
                      Member #121961
                      January 21, 2012
                      3157 Posts
                      Posted: January 25, 2013, 12:41 pm - IP Logged

The only reason I buy scratch-offs occasionally, is because I win maybe $2 a year off my PB & MM tickets. Total. Seriously. So scratch-offs help me pay for playing for the big wins.

There is one store I like in particular and this one clerk had the magic touch. However, I haven't seen her in ages, so I think the magic has left there (haven't bought a real winning one there in ages). In fact, I've been wondering if some of the clerks have been doing the little scratch with their fingernail to grab the winning ones since I haven't won anything (although, truthfully, I haven't seen any scratches and they are usually too busy doing stuff when I walk in so they don't have time to do stuff like that).

However, I find I feel better when I buy from the vending machine. That way I KNOW that there is no scratch and that I could have a winner.

If I know I'm going to buy a SO, I do go online and check to see what ones still have lots of winners. I've been buying the $1000/week for Life because it still hasn't had a winner - but it started the end of August! All the others have had winners ($500, $2500, $5000/week) but this one hasn't yet. And the big ones have only had 1 winner, out of 3. So I'm starting to smell an NC lottery rat. Seriously - since August? It's freaking almost February!

Usually, I win more on the more expensive tickets - and the odds are better.

Also - there is an app that ranks the scratch-offs in your state for best odds vs. how many winners are left. Pretty cool - when it works. He just updated it, so it should work for a bit longer until you realize it hasn't updated in ages.

Your scratchers are tough like NY. Have family in the jacksonville,nc area and played there. Also tried Emerald Isle and Surf City. Biggest win was $40. I see alot of your winners are in the Raleigh area. At-least your lotto of has alot of second chance and bonus draws.

United States
                        Member #137599
                        January 7, 2013
                        7 Posts
                        Posted: January 26, 2013, 8:21 pm - IP Logged

I hate scratch offs too and won't play them. I'm not sure if all states are the same, but in Michigan, the lottery website lists what prizes are left. There are millions of dollars never won that go back to the school fund. (Michigan's lottery profits go to the schools...another joke in it of itself)

It is in the lottery's best interest NOT to have winners found as they still make profits of the millions of losing tickets sold and still don't have to award the top prizes.

The top prizes can be sitting in a warehouse never to be sent to a store for the public to buy. Or, they could be sitting in a store waiting to be bought but the store owner doesn't bring the pack of tickets to the public. As soon as the store scans the pack of tickets, the entire cost of that pack comes out of their account. If it is a slow moving seller or new tickets are coming to replace, packs don't go on sale. They get sent back to the state. Money goes to the school fund, or whatever your state has.

They are a big con and I don't buy them. More of the tickets never sell their top prizes then games that do.

NY
                          United States
                          Member #103217
                          December 31, 2010
                          96 Posts
                          Posted: January 27, 2013, 8:06 pm - IP Logged

I hear your pain loud and clear. This whole scratch off is so merky and shadowy. People need to stop playing so lottery commission is forced to think ways to make it more transparent and palatable.

dk1421's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
                            North Carolina
                            United States
                            Member #64582
                            September 1, 2008
                            347 Posts
                            Posted: January 28, 2013, 3:15 pm - IP Logged

Your scratchers are tough like NY. Have family in the jacksonville,nc area and played there. Also tried Emerald Isle and Surf City. Biggest win was $40. I see alot of your winners are in the Raleigh area. At-least your lotto of has alot of second chance and bonus draws.

Yeah, you'd think I live close enough to the Raleigh area so that I would win more. But apparently, I don't.

"Don't be a schmuck, always take the cash." -Coin Toss