Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 7:25 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Cheating Clerk?

Topic closed. 40 replies. Last post 4 years ago by psykomo.

Page 3 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
rdgrnr's avatar - walt
Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
United States
Member #73904
April 28, 2009
14903 Posts
Posted: January 20, 2013, 5:15 pm - IP Logged

I totally agree there is to much junk around the counters, people can't see everything going on.

Yep, and watch out for the ones who block the readout screen or turn it so you can't see it or turn down the music that's supposed to play when a winner is scanned.

I know a couple of places that do that kinda stuff and I won't spend a nickel on anything there anymore.

SergeM's avatar - slow icon.png
    Economy class
    Belgium
    Member #123700
    February 27, 2012
    4035 Posts
    Posted: January 21, 2013, 1:57 pm - IP Logged

Cheating?

Uluska's avatar - strawberry

United States
      Member #134627
      November 2, 2012
      1001 Posts
      Posted: January 21, 2013, 7:03 pm - IP Logged

Some serious measure here.

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
        u$a
        United States
        Member #106665
        February 22, 2011
        19767 Posts
        Posted: January 21, 2013, 8:19 pm - IP Logged

Cheating?

Scared

Let it Snow Snowman

United States
          Member #128790
          June 2, 2012
          5431 Posts
          Posted: January 21, 2013, 10:52 pm - IP Logged

Not trying to put down the majority of clerks, but there's enough of the minority who either don't play by the book, or who aren't trained on how to edit/fix, or just don't understand the basics of the pick-3 game.

I stopped getting mad because it's no use. I also make mistakes occasionally when filling out betslips, so i figured we're even. Green laugh

United States
            Member #128790
            June 2, 2012
            5431 Posts
            Posted: January 21, 2013, 10:59 pm - IP Logged

The other day I was at the store and turned in 3 ($2) scratcher tickets worth $7 dollars. Two were $2 and one was $3. The clerk quickly scanned them and tells me it's $6 and If I want store or cash credit. I request cash but the whole time I’m thinking there’s a mistake.  I look at the lottery scan machine screen and it says $6. I never had a dishonest clerk at that store but I never saw this dude before. I walked out the store thinking maybe there was an error with the screen or the card. I decided to go back in the store. This dude said he thrown the cards in the trash like they were gone but I wanted to see them. I thought all winning tickets are sent back to the lottery. I always sign my cards even if it’s a $2 card. I had no idea that the store throws winning tickets in the trash after scanning them. I’ve been putting my signature and address on these winning cards.  He fumbles throw the trash like he can’t find them. That store wasn’t busy and I had returned less than 5 minutes. He finally pulled these cards out the trash and on to the table. We both see they're worth $7 but he’s looking at me like he can’t help me.  He said I can only scan the ticket one time.  I guess it was good my signature was on these tickets because he had other tickets in the trash behind that counter.   He said something like sometimes the machine won’t pay out a $1 or something like that. So I questioned what he said.  I had winning tickets worth $7 dollars and I’m only allowed to get back $6? He realized that I wasn’t going to let it slide so he scans the ticket and pays me $1. He thought the confrontation was over but I wanted to know why the lottery doesn’t pay their customers in full for winning tickets? This dude takes his fingers and does a move on gesture and says you got your money back! No apology or nothing. Should I report him or let it slide?

BTW, the following is what I should've wrote first. It's your first post and you've created such a buzz. Congrats on your very first post.

Imagine what the 12,391th post will contain. I'll be able to move objects with my mind. lol   Green laugh

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
              u$a
              United States
              Member #106665
              February 22, 2011
              19767 Posts
              Posted: January 23, 2013, 5:59 am - IP Logged

But you KNOW the state government run lotteries are gonna try to require registration and tracking of some sort unless players make it clear they will refuse to use it. 

No, I'm NOT paranoid!  Clown

no, i don't think they keep track unless it is over a certain amount then you must go to the Headquarters anyways to pick up your winningsSmiley everyones Happy.

Let it Snow Snowman

Columbia, SC
                United States
                Member #135285
                November 21, 2012
                584 Posts
                Posted: January 23, 2013, 7:29 am - IP Logged

Yep, and watch out for the ones who block the readout screen or turn it so you can't see it or turn down the music that's supposed to play when a winner is scanned.

I know a couple of places that do that kinda stuff and I won't spend a nickel on anything there anymore.

I seriously did not even know there was a read out screen until recently....I've been checking my numbers at the same store since forever and until a recent thread about some clerks and their vindictive ways, i asked  a clerk at the store about customers being notified when a ticket is not a winner. He pointed to the display screen that is NOT visable to customers...They have huge potato chip racks in front of the small screen (which is separated ) from the actual number reading machine...Ahhh, clever lil' clerks!! Glad I'm a lil wiser now!

"If you can DREAM it, you can DO it!"- Walt Disney

Uluska's avatar - strawberry

United States
                  Member #134627
                  November 2, 2012
                  1001 Posts
                  Posted: January 24, 2013, 8:33 pm - IP Logged

Winnings aren't easy to come, and yet someone like clerk will try to snatch it away! There has to be undercover police checking those clerks' actions.

ttech10's avatar - blobdude
                    Texas
                    United States
                    Member #92330
                    June 5, 2010
                    887 Posts
                    Posted: January 26, 2013, 1:03 am - IP Logged

I'd report. The lottery will likely not do anything but they will have it on record and they'll see it if someone else makes a complaint/report (or you could be an addition to a list of complaints against him already).

I've started going to the same store to turn in tickets, even if I didn't buy them there, because there are a limited number of poeple who work there and I've seen them all many times and quite frequently. It's not from paranoia, I just prefer having a friendly, familiar face to see behind the counter than some stranger who gives me a face like I'm keeping him from doing something imporant.

And I like how you sign your tickets, I used to do that as soon as I got my QPs but have since stopped. One, so I can claim via a trust and two, because I felt weird handing a signed ticket over for a whopping $2.

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
                      Member #4877
                      May 30, 2004
                      5118 Posts
                      Posted: January 26, 2013, 1:15 am - IP Logged

The other day I was at the store and turned in 3 ($2) scratcher tickets worth $7 dollars. Two were $2 and one was $3. The clerk quickly scanned them and tells me it's $6 and If I want store or cash credit. I request cash but the whole time I’m thinking there’s a mistake.  I look at the lottery scan machine screen and it says $6. I never had a dishonest clerk at that store but I never saw this dude before. I walked out the store thinking maybe there was an error with the screen or the card. I decided to go back in the store. This dude said he thrown the cards in the trash like they were gone but I wanted to see them. I thought all winning tickets are sent back to the lottery. I always sign my cards even if it’s a $2 card. I had no idea that the store throws winning tickets in the trash after scanning them. I’ve been putting my signature and address on these winning cards.  He fumbles throw the trash like he can’t find them. That store wasn’t busy and I had returned less than 5 minutes. He finally pulled these cards out the trash and on to the table. We both see they're worth $7 but he’s looking at me like he can’t help me.  He said I can only scan the ticket one time.  I guess it was good my signature was on these tickets because he had other tickets in the trash behind that counter.   He said something like sometimes the machine won’t pay out a $1 or something like that. So I questioned what he said.  I had winning tickets worth $7 dollars and I’m only allowed to get back $6? He realized that I wasn’t going to let it slide so he scans the ticket and pays me $1. He thought the confrontation was over but I wanted to know why the lottery doesn’t pay their customers in full for winning tickets? This dude takes his fingers and does a move on gesture and says you got your money back! No apology or nothing. Should I report him or let it slide?

BatBatBatThinking of...BatBatBat

THIS IS THE "DAM" TRUTH AMERICA

Surrender