Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 4:45 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Cheating Clerk?

Topic closed. 40 replies. Last post 4 years ago by psykomo.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
LottoGuyBC's avatar - Lottery-050.jpg
British Columbia
Canada
Member #116101
September 4, 2011
4033 Posts
Posted: January 20, 2013, 10:26 am - IP Logged

Hit With Stick Bad Clerk

"You have to be in it to win it!"

United States
    Member #116268
    September 7, 2011
    20244 Posts
    Posted: January 20, 2013, 10:29 am - IP Logged

The other day I was at the store and turned in 3 ($2) scratcher tickets worth $7 dollars. Two were $2 and one was $3. The clerk quickly scanned them and tells me it's $6 and If I want store or cash credit. I request cash but the whole time I’m thinking there’s a mistake.  I look at the lottery scan machine screen and it says $6. I never had a dishonest clerk at that store but I never saw this dude before. I walked out the store thinking maybe there was an error with the screen or the card. I decided to go back in the store. This dude said he thrown the cards in the trash like they were gone but I wanted to see them. I thought all winning tickets are sent back to the lottery. I always sign my cards even if it’s a $2 card. I had no idea that the store throws winning tickets in the trash after scanning them. I’ve been putting my signature and address on these winning cards.  He fumbles throw the trash like he can’t find them. That store wasn’t busy and I had returned less than 5 minutes. He finally pulled these cards out the trash and on to the table. We both see they're worth $7 but he’s looking at me like he can’t help me.  He said I can only scan the ticket one time.  I guess it was good my signature was on these tickets because he had other tickets in the trash behind that counter.   He said something like sometimes the machine won’t pay out a $1 or something like that. So I questioned what he said.  I had winning tickets worth $7 dollars and I’m only allowed to get back $6? He realized that I wasn’t going to let it slide so he scans the ticket and pays me $1. He thought the confrontation was over but I wanted to know why the lottery doesn’t pay their customers in full for winning tickets? This dude takes his fingers and does a move on gesture and says you got your money back! No apology or nothing. Should I report him or let it slide?

Avoid misunderstandings by letting the clerk know up front that you want the terminal printed receipts, and then just keep an eye on them so they don't make any switches.

United States
      Member #116268
      September 7, 2011
      20244 Posts
      Posted: January 20, 2013, 10:30 am - IP Logged

Hit With Stick Bad Clerk

Sounds convincingly "Clerkish" to me.............

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
        u$a
        United States
        Member #106665
        February 22, 2011
        19740 Posts
        Posted: January 20, 2013, 11:30 am - IP Logged

Always sign your tickets and make a copy iF you can.Yes Nod

you can also mail them in, i have never had any problems mailing tickets in, they always send me my checks..Naughty

come on Lottery Headquarters you can sell Lottery tickets out of vending Machines let us (the people) cash out our own tickets, let me show you how

we scan our own tickets, we get the cashout voucher then we take it to the store clerk for the pay out.everyones Happy! Smiley

Let it Snow Snowman

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
          Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
          United States
          Member #73904
          April 28, 2009
          14903 Posts
          Posted: January 20, 2013, 11:36 am - IP Logged

Always sign your tickets and make a copy iF you can.Yes Nod

you can also mail them in, i have never had any problems mailing tickets in, they always send me my checks..Naughty

come on Lottery Headquarters you can sell Lottery tickets out of vending Machines let us (the people) cash out our own tickets, let me show you how

we scan our own tickets, we get the cashout voucher then we take it to the store clerk for the pay out.everyones Happy! Smiley

"we scan our own tickets, we get the cashout voucher then we take it to the store clerk for the payout. everyones Happy!"

Great idea! I Agree!

u$a
            United States
            Member #106665
            February 22, 2011
            19740 Posts
            Posted: January 20, 2013, 11:43 am - IP Logged

The other day I was at the store and turned in 3 ($2) scratcher tickets worth $7 dollars. Two were $2 and one was $3. The clerk quickly scanned them and tells me it's $6 and If I want store or cash credit. I request cash but the whole time I’m thinking there’s a mistake.  I look at the lottery scan machine screen and it says $6. I never had a dishonest clerk at that store but I never saw this dude before. I walked out the store thinking maybe there was an error with the screen or the card. I decided to go back in the store. This dude said he thrown the cards in the trash like they were gone but I wanted to see them. I thought all winning tickets are sent back to the lottery. I always sign my cards even if it’s a $2 card. I had no idea that the store throws winning tickets in the trash after scanning them. I’ve been putting my signature and address on these winning cards.  He fumbles throw the trash like he can’t find them. That store wasn’t busy and I had returned less than 5 minutes. He finally pulled these cards out the trash and on to the table. We both see they're worth $7 but he’s looking at me like he can’t help me.  He said I can only scan the ticket one time.  I guess it was good my signature was on these tickets because he had other tickets in the trash behind that counter.   He said something like sometimes the machine won’t pay out a $1 or something like that. So I questioned what he said.  I had winning tickets worth $7 dollars and I’m only allowed to get back $6? He realized that I wasn’t going to let it slide so he scans the ticket and pays me $1. He thought the confrontation was over but I wanted to know why the lottery doesn’t pay their customers in full for winning tickets? This dude takes his fingers and does a move on gesture and says you got your money back! No apology or nothing. Should I report him or let it slide?

yes, i would report them and also tell the manager then i would Tell the manager i was also going to let the Corporate Headquarters along with the Lottery Headquarters  know of this situation this shouldn't be taken lightly. because like someone said if it has happen once it may happen again or has been happening to other people some people Can't check or don't check their tickets and just trust the clerks when they say it's not a winner and they walk away mainly elderly.

Let it Snow Snowman

u$a
              United States
              Member #106665
              February 22, 2011
              19740 Posts
              Posted: January 20, 2013, 11:48 am - IP Logged

"we scan our own tickets, we get the cashout voucher then we take it to the store clerk for the payout. everyones Happy!"

Great idea! I Agree!

Thanks Rdg, it don't look very hard  to do maybe Someone like Todd can get this done for us  Lottery players. 

Let it Snow Snowman

HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
                Idaho
                United States
                Member #94283
                July 17, 2010
                2284 Posts
                Posted: January 20, 2013, 11:57 am - IP Logged

I agree with everyone else, report him.  He could be doing this every time someone with multiple tickets comes in.  Most of us will think we added wrong by a dollar or two and just walk out rather than make a fuss, keep the line waiting, and potentially be embarrassed if we're wrong.  A dollar or two doesn't sound like much, but if it's a busy lottery store he could be pocketing enough for a pizza for dinner every night which may be worth it to him.

Idaho
                  United States
                  Member #94283
                  July 17, 2010
                  2284 Posts
                  Posted: January 20, 2013, 12:04 pm - IP Logged

Thanks Rdg, it don't look very hard  to do maybe Someone like Todd can get this done for us  Lottery players. 

If it required a club card I wouldn't use it. 

But if anyone could just walk up and scan the ticket, I think it's a fabulous idea.  Time to start emailing all the state lotteries and asking for it.  So much better idea than the crappy self-scanners they have here in Idaho that won't even tell you how much a ticket is worth if it's over a hundred dollars.

u$a
                    United States
                    Member #106665
                    February 22, 2011
                    19740 Posts
                    Posted: January 20, 2013, 12:13 pm - IP Logged

If it required a club card I wouldn't use it. 

But if anyone could just walk up and scan the ticket, I think it's a fabulous idea.  Time to start emailing all the state lotteries and asking for it.  So much better idea than the crappy self-scanners they have here in Idaho that won't even tell you how much a ticket is worth if it's over a hundred dollars.

no clubcard, i was just showing a example pictureGreen laugh

Let it Snow Snowman

Uluska's avatar - strawberry

United States
                      Member #134627
                      November 2, 2012
                      1001 Posts
                      Posted: January 20, 2013, 12:37 pm - IP Logged

:):):)

Idaho
                        United States
                        Member #94283
                        July 17, 2010
                        2284 Posts
                        Posted: January 20, 2013, 12:43 pm - IP Logged

no clubcard, i was just showing a example pictureGreen laugh

But you KNOW the state government run lotteries are gonna try to require registration and tracking of some sort unless players make it clear they will refuse to use it. 

No, I'm NOT paranoid!  Clown

Uluska's avatar - strawberry

United States
                          Member #134627
                          November 2, 2012
                          1001 Posts
                          Posted: January 20, 2013, 12:43 pm - IP Logged

Well, how one watches what their hands are doing behind that huge machine? May be the clerk has pickpocketing techniques, no one will notice anything. I say come with the camera and later play it slow to see what was done. Also, camera might scare them from cheating you.

In Russia peope keep recording traffic police when they stop them, to avoid being ripped off for nothing.

u$a
                            United States
                            Member #106665
                            February 22, 2011
                            19740 Posts
                            Posted: January 20, 2013, 1:06 pm - IP Logged

Well, how one watches what their hands are doing behind that huge machine? May be the clerk has pickpocketing techniques, no one will notice anything. I say come with the camera and later play it slow to see what was done. Also, camera might scare them from cheating you.

In Russia peope keep recording traffic police when they stop them, to avoid being ripped off for nothing.

I totally agree there is to much junk around the counters, people can't see everything going on.

Let it Snow Snowman

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
                              Oklahoma
                              United States
                              Member #82391
                              November 12, 2009
                              6290 Posts
                              Posted: January 20, 2013, 4:45 pm - IP Logged

Definitely report him....

I Love Pink & Green 1908