Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 2:39 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Clerks Are Not Always Knowledgable About Lottery

Topic closed. 49 replies. Last post 4 years ago by DG1USA.

Page 2 of 4
PrintE-mailLink
maximumfun's avatar - Lottery-030.jpg
Lavender Rocket

United States
Member #124616
March 16, 2012
2642 Posts
Posted: February 8, 2013, 12:16 pm - IP Logged

For starters, not all store and gas station owners are all that smart, they hire whom ever they can find that will work for low wages.

A smart owner would would hire one person to handle gas and food transactions, while the other person would handle lottery transactions.

Sometimes you have spend money to make money, I would make it clear to my employees, if I am making money, you will make money.

I would build the business on good reputation, when you treat your customers well, they come back.

I would make it clear that bet slips must be filled out, nothing worse then idiots with numbers scribbled on old envelopes and spewing numbers at the clerk, holding up the line, makes the other customers angry.

I would train the clerk to make sure all of the customers needs were met, Do you need scratch offs? Powerball is up, do you need one? Is there anything else I can help you with?

All the little things build your business.

I would tell my employees, integrity is key, and if you help build my sales, I will happily give out raises and bonuses.

do you have job applications available?  i would love to work for you sully!

and as far as bad experiences with clerks goes... most clerks that i run into are so grateful to even have a job that they are quiet rather than sullen (at worst).

sully16's avatar - sharan
    Ringleader
    Michigan
    United States
    Member #81740
    October 28, 2009
    40295 Posts
    Posted: February 8, 2013, 12:18 pm - IP Logged

and as far as bad experiences with clerks goes... most clerks that i run into are so grateful to even have a job that they are quiet rather than sullen (at worst).

Yes you can, Teamwork, the only way to get ahead.

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

Ringleader
      Michigan
      United States
      Member #81740
      October 28, 2009
      40295 Posts
      Posted: February 8, 2013, 12:19 pm - IP Logged

So true.

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
        u$a
        United States
        Member #106665
        February 22, 2011
        19740 Posts
        Posted: February 8, 2013, 12:19 pm - IP Logged

LOL

Let it Snow Snowman

Uluska's avatar - strawberry

United States
          Member #134627
          November 2, 2012
          1001 Posts
          Posted: February 8, 2013, 4:41 pm - IP Logged

I guess it's a matter of ones expectations. Me, I need to be tretaed like a queen, or at least like VIP, or my eyes will get rolling and lips will start babbling witch spells. :)

Next time I'll go to yet another gasstation, and wash the clerk's bones at this thread.

Columbia, SC
            United States
            Member #135285
            November 21, 2012
            584 Posts
            Posted: February 8, 2013, 9:17 pm - IP Logged

There is this one guy that works at the store I frequent that I try to avoid whenever possible. He's kinda new so I do try to cut him some slack but I actually grind my teeth when I pull up and see him behind the counter. It takes him FOREVER to enter/print my numbers and any time I ask him any type of lottery question. (for example.."do i have time to purchase these numbers for tonight's Powerball lottery? His response would be something like.."I dunno..i don't know nuttin' bout them lottery questions"....UGH! I sure as heck don't use him when checkin' tickets....

"If you can DREAM it, you can DO it!"- Walt Disney

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
              adelaide sa
              Australia
              Member #37136
              April 11, 2006
              3300 Posts
              Posted: February 8, 2013, 11:56 pm - IP Logged

I had a place in a  country town that  didnt allow you to do scratchers inside, as they had to vacuum the carpet   afterwards. they where the only lotter  agent in that Town.  I took my business with me to next town 100km away when i could.

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297

PlayToWin47's avatar - Lottery-041.jpg
                Joplin MO
                United States
                Member #138489
                January 28, 2013
                190 Posts
                Posted: February 9, 2013, 12:23 am - IP Logged

Please, guys, any unusual experience with the clerks, can we gossip about it?

A couple of years back, while buying my weekly Missouri Lotto tickets, the girl behind the counter ran one of my multiple playslips twice... Apparently, she did not know how to void out the extra ticket, and said she would just buy it herself.

I attempted to explain to her why that was NOT acceptable ... that if she buys the duplicate ticket, and it happens to win, then I have share the jackpot with her ... because she made a mistake.  That's a problem!  I even further said that I have absolutely no problem sharing a jackpot with someone that happens to pick the same numbers as mine ... more power to them ... but I WILL NOT share one with somebody because they made a mistake with MY playslips!  I told her that I understand that everybody sometimes makes a mistake, and that this is not a problem as long as it gets fixed.  If she doesn't know how to void it out, then she just needs to call her manager or another employee that does ... No problem!

Then, while she was looking up a phone number, she started calling me nasty names!  Another customer was there that knew how to run the lottery machine, and fixed it ... then SHE said I was an a**hole!  The both of them JUST DIDN'T GET IT!!!

I had regularly been buying my tickets there for a long time ... usually from one of the assistant managers that was on vacation.  When she got back, I explained what had happened.  The employee with the attitude got fired.  HA!!!

United States
                  Member #134627
                  November 2, 2012
                  1001 Posts
                  Posted: February 9, 2013, 7:13 am - IP Logged

Another time clerk told me I missed placing third number, in all four tickets. How can one do that, in one ticket, perhaps, but not all four? She did not get it that I simply forgot to mark Back Pair option. When I did mark Back Pairs, she was surprised, she did not even know that in Cash 3 one can choose pairs instead of all three numbers.

Ringleader
                    Michigan
                    United States
                    Member #81740
                    October 28, 2009
                    40295 Posts
                    Posted: February 9, 2013, 8:03 am - IP Logged

A couple of years back, while buying my weekly Missouri Lotto tickets, the girl behind the counter ran one of my multiple playslips twice... Apparently, she did not know how to void out the extra ticket, and said she would just buy it herself.

I attempted to explain to her why that was NOT acceptable ... that if she buys the duplicate ticket, and it happens to win, then I have share the jackpot with her ... because she made a mistake.  That's a problem!  I even further said that I have absolutely no problem sharing a jackpot with someone that happens to pick the same numbers as mine ... more power to them ... but I WILL NOT share one with somebody because they made a mistake with MY playslips!  I told her that I understand that everybody sometimes makes a mistake, and that this is not a problem as long as it gets fixed.  If she doesn't know how to void it out, then she just needs to call her manager or another employee that does ... No problem!

Then, while she was looking up a phone number, she started calling me nasty names!  Another customer was there that knew how to run the lottery machine, and fixed it ... then SHE said I was an a**hole!  The both of them JUST DIDN'T GET IT!!!

I had regularly been buying my tickets there for a long time ... usually from one of the assistant managers that was on vacation.  When she got back, I explained what had happened.  The employee with the attitude got fired.  HA!!!

Clerks like that cost business, train your clerks!

United States
                      Member #134627
                      November 2, 2012
                      1001 Posts
                      Posted: February 9, 2013, 9:35 am - IP Logged

OK, here's today's clerk and me interaction. I expected young girls and ladies, but, today there was fresh face at local 7-11, older East Indian man. Fresh face and had really fresh face: shaven, brushed hair, very well ironed decent shirt. I was pleased with the look. He was also cute, not spooky, like some of them are ( truth is truth). However, as I mentioned before, he did not smile, even though I did, and his eyebrows are naturally shaped in a way that says " Do not mess with me!". Demonic look. I thought, thats it, that's all I'll have to tell you, guys, today. I wanted more. He just kept going through the motion of selling lottery tickets, few automatic words here and there, unhurried moves. Then I decided to ask him "How are you?". Surprisingly, then he smiled and  said he is OK, and asked me back how am I. I said I hope I'll be lucky today. People, you won't believe what a charming smile he had, whole face lit up in such kindness! But he, as if shy to show too much emotion, hid that smile back pretty fast, to my sorrow. Why in a world person who has such  charming disposition when smiling would not use this asset? Who knows, may be in their culture it is considered a sign of weakness, or saved for most close people and not for business? And yet it was easy to make him smile his fleeting smile. Interesting. Apparently, the customer's initiative can also warm things up.

Beyond that, as I parked at gas station, two police cars came and three young guys were arrested. Don't know the reason.

Tenaj's avatar - michellea
                        Charlotte NC
                        United States
                        Member #17406
                        June 18, 2005
                        4053 Posts
                        Posted: February 9, 2013, 10:07 pm - IP Logged

same here, had to go through a full deliverance to rebuke all those third world demons.

LOL! I like that.

takeemtothebank

United States
                          Member #124493
                          March 14, 2012
                          7023 Posts
                          Posted: March 3, 2013, 7:29 am - IP Logged

I dislike going to gasstations with Indian( East Indies) clerks, it's like you have to pull their smile with the plyers, because they seem to be so burdened by their job, and if you buy tickets for 50c you'll read a smerk on their face, or rather a hint of disquast.

Today I've seen two funny clerks. One was skinny blondy with few missing teeth, with a massy brade. She was nice, though. Next to her was working middle age lady with heavy Western accent, who did not know what symbol X means on Cash 3 slip. I had to explain that it means I pick a pair of numbers out of three to match. She thought it was multiplication mark! Well, such clerks will hardly ever do any harm to their lottery customers, but, oh my, where do they find those chip employees? Must be hiring from the Western plains.

LOL.

How can they be happy?  The probably were displaced by the Soviet/American wars of global domination.  And if they are Pakistani, they are also probably upset because India kicked them out for being Muslims.

They are indentured servants.  They are always writing in their little black composition notebooks. Counting the money they dont have.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                            mid-Ohio
                            United States
                            Member #9
                            March 24, 2001
                            19816 Posts
                            Posted: March 3, 2013, 11:02 am - IP Logged

I had a place in a  country town that  didnt allow you to do scratchers inside, as they had to vacuum the carpet   afterwards. they where the only lotter  agent in that Town.  I took my business with me to next town 100km away when i could.

I've never seen a store selling lottery tickets with carpet on its floors, must have been a high class place.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                              mid-Ohio
                              United States
                              Member #9
                              March 24, 2001
                              19816 Posts
                              Posted: March 3, 2013, 11:22 am - IP Logged

Clerks and anyone else working in a store selling lottery tickets are required to know anything about lotteries because they aren't agents of the lottery. 

That was the decision of an Ohio court a few years ago when a player bought twenty Buckeye5 tickets that matched five and expected to get two millions dollars since winning tickets usually paid one hundred thousands dollars each but found out there was a cap of one million dollars on total payouts and sued the store owner and clerk for not making him aware of that rule. 

The court said it was the responsibility of players to read and understand all rules themselves or call the lottery for help, not a store clerk.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking