Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 4:42 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

What would you say if anything to a lottery winner you run into on the street/store by chance??

Topic closed. 42 replies. Last post 4 years ago by JAP69.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #130815
July 25, 2012
1636 Posts
Posted: February 28, 2013, 8:27 am - IP Logged

What would you do or say if you ran into a big lotto winner on the street or in a store?? I met a guy who won $250,000 one time....It was fun talking to him about how good it felt for him to win and what he bought....but what about you what would you ask if you met a big winner or would you not say a word??

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
    Oklahoma
    United States
    Member #82391
    November 12, 2009
    6290 Posts
    Posted: February 28, 2013, 9:13 am - IP Logged

I wouldn't say anthing other than Congratulations.

I Love Pink & Green 1908

Columbia, SC
      United States
      Member #135285
      November 21, 2012
      584 Posts
      Posted: February 28, 2013, 9:19 am - IP Logged

Like DCBF said, yes....I'd definitley CONGRATULATE them!!

I have some friends (not close anymore but were close at the time) who won 19 million in a lottery many years ago...I think around '97 or '98...It was a big thing that happened to them during that time and billboards were up all around town congratulating them, but the money changed them....I think to the state of paranoia.....the wife as become distant and secluded...I think winning THAT kind of money can change people in some ways....Even though I'd love to win a nice amount of money, I don't want it to be so much that I change who I am...

"If you can DREAM it, you can DO it!"- Walt Disney

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
        Oklahoma
        United States
        Member #82391
        November 12, 2009
        6290 Posts
        Posted: February 28, 2013, 9:41 am - IP Logged

I have some friends (not close anymore but were close at the time) who won 19 million in a lottery many years ago...I think around '97 or '98...It was a big thing that happened to them during that time and billboards were up all around town congratulating them, but the money changed them....I think to the state of paranoia.....the wife as become distant and secluded...I think winning THAT kind of money can change people in some ways....Even though I'd love to win a nice amount of money, I don't want it to be so much that I change who I am...

How sad that your friends had to go in seclusion they probably had so many people begging for money & threatening their lives. That's why I don't get why people go on LCML.

I Love Pink & Green 1908

sully16's avatar - sharan
          Ringleader
          Michigan
          United States
          Member #81740
          October 28, 2009
          40422 Posts
          Posted: February 28, 2013, 10:07 am - IP Logged

I don't pay attention to who wins, so I wouldn't reconize them anyway.

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
            mid-Ohio
            United States
            Member #9
            March 24, 2001
            19825 Posts
            Posted: February 28, 2013, 11:37 am - IP Logged

When I went into the store with my 5of6 Classic Lotto winner last Tuesday, the only person I wanted to talk to was the one that filled out the claim form and verified my ticket for me to pick up my money at the bank.  Had I matched 6of6 they wouldn't have ever seen me in that store as I would have called a regional office and made an appointment to verify my ticket and pick up the money directly from the state.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Think's avatar - lightbulb
              Marquette, MI
              United States
              Member #20541
              August 20, 2005
              705 Posts
              Posted: February 28, 2013, 11:46 am - IP Logged

It didn't change them, it changed the people they know....into a pack of wolves...and of course once the word got out to the piggery the piggery probably started harassing them too.

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
                u$a
                United States
                Member #106665
                February 22, 2011
                19797 Posts
                Posted: February 28, 2013, 11:50 am - IP Logged

I met a guy who won $250,000 one time....It was fun talking to him about how good it felt for him to win

maybe we can get mcginnin56 to weigh in on how good he felt when he was a BIG WINNER! Guitar

Let it Snow Snowman

u$a
                  United States
                  Member #106665
                  February 22, 2011
                  19797 Posts
                  Posted: February 28, 2013, 11:55 am - IP Logged

How sad that your friends had to go in seclusion they probably had so many people begging for money & threatening their lives. That's why I don't get why people go on LCML.

seclusion, people asking me for money & threatening my life.

this sounds like my life now LOL

Let it Snow Snowman

u$a
                    United States
                    Member #106665
                    February 22, 2011
                    19797 Posts
                    Posted: February 28, 2013, 12:07 pm - IP Logged

I wouldn't say anthing other than Congratulations.

I Agree!

Let it Snow Snowman

u$a
                      United States
                      Member #106665
                      February 22, 2011
                      19797 Posts
                      Posted: February 28, 2013, 12:08 pm - IP Logged

I don't pay attention to who wins, so I wouldn't reconize them anyway.

I Agree!

Let it Snow Snowman

Litebets27's avatar - power
                        Maryland
                        United States
                        Member #10465
                        January 14, 2005
                        6065 Posts
                        Posted: February 28, 2013, 12:26 pm - IP Logged

Several people were I usually play have hit. 1 person, $10,000, 2 people, $100,000 and 1 person $250,000. They are regulars in  the store. People congratulated them at the time of their wins. Nothing else said since. They don't talk about it, and no one brings it up to them. When people who aren't regulars come in and see the signs that indicate winnings sold in the store, people just indicate, it was a man or a woman.

Feeling,  PRICELESS!!!Banana

Come on Jackpot!!!

United States
                          Member #111442
                          May 25, 2011
                          6323 Posts
                          Posted: February 28, 2013, 12:28 pm - IP Logged

I would try to sell him/her my latest system and philosophy, of buying one single QP number.   Cussing Face  (which has a suggested MSRP of $2500).

Furthermore I would ask for just a little personal information, such as SS#, home address, cell phone #, credit card # and the names of all children.

After that I would offer to carry their grocery bags, mow their lawn and do their taxes, strictly as gesture of kindness and goodwill.  Embarassed

United States
                            Member #111442
                            May 25, 2011
                            6323 Posts
                            Posted: February 28, 2013, 12:35 pm - IP Logged

I met a guy who won $250,000 one time....It was fun talking to him about how good it felt for him to win

maybe we can get mcginnin56 to weigh in on how good he felt when he was a BIG WINNER! Guitar

My $200k win on Powerball five years ago (only $150k after taxes), is pretty much spent.

In the scheme of things, compared to the thousands of jackpot winners, this was merely a few drops in the lottery bucket.

Still a very nice surprise if your not expecting it.   Yes Nod

United States
                              Member #139485
                              February 24, 2013
                              20 Posts
                              Posted: February 28, 2013, 12:38 pm - IP Logged

About five years ago, I ran into a guy I grew up with ( small town ) who won the six pick lottery,( I think 5 million, not sure, but, I know it was over 3 million), actually ran into him pumping gas at the same conv. store he bought the winning ticket. It was just a few months after he won it. Yes, he is still buying tickets, too.

I did ask him what he was going to do with the money, and, congratulated him on his big win.

He told me that he sold his small business, and, made plans to build a really nice home and retire. I've since been in the home he had built,  when I ran into one of his close friends just two years ago. His friend drove me over there to visit with him.

There is more to the story, but, I will save that for another time and post.