Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 5:39 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

If you did win the jackpot...would you let a store clerk scan the ticket??

Topic closed. 36 replies. Last post 4 years ago by sully16.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #130815
July 25, 2012
1636 Posts
Posted: March 14, 2013, 11:30 am - IP Logged

I think I'd like to see what the screen would say if I did had the winning jackpot ticket....Ive won a couple of hundred dollars before and here in NC...when the clerk scans a winning ticket Im guessing $50 and up it play a little tune...We're in the money... I think that's it...but I think mainly I'd do it to make sure I wasnt crazy LOL....I mean there's a million ways to check a winning ticket but it really really sinks in for me when there is someone else to verify Im seeing what Im seeing...of course they'd only be checking it AFTER Ive signed it....

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
    mid-Ohio
    United States
    Member #9
    March 24, 2001
    19831 Posts
    Posted: March 14, 2013, 11:53 am - IP Logged

If you knew you won the jackpot why bother going to a store to have it checked?  It would only alert a lot of people of your business before you had a chance to secure the ticket and make arrangement to visit lottery headquarters for the official verification process.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

ashabug725's avatar - Yavill
      Indiana
      United States
      Member #122868
      February 9, 2012
      322 Posts
      Posted: March 14, 2013, 11:56 am - IP Logged

If you knew you won the jackpot why bother going to a store to have it checked?  It would only alert a lot of people of your business before you had a chance to secure the ticket and make arrangement to visit lottery headquarters for the official verification process.

I agree!! That would just make me more paranoid of something happening before I got all my ducks in a row

I wish I may, I wish I might...
                 Win the Powerball jackpot THIS big night!!!

redhot7's avatar - SetforLifeLogo
        California
        United States
        Member #112364
        June 17, 2011
        661 Posts
        Posted: March 14, 2013, 12:07 pm - IP Logged

No, doing so is the equivalent of drawing a bullseye on your head that says: come to me if you want money.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
          Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
          United States
          Member #73904
          April 28, 2009
          14903 Posts
          Posted: March 14, 2013, 12:17 pm - IP Logged

Certain people would never have a prayer of touching my jackpot winning ticket. 

Clerks and lawyers are foremost among them.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

ONEDAY's avatar - DiscoBallGlowing
            OHIO
            United States
            Member #5328
            June 30, 2004
            1284 Posts
            Posted: March 14, 2013, 12:42 pm - IP Logged

i think in Ohio its says major prize won on the scanner, not sure though..
            under 5000 you have to go to the clerk and validate the ticket (hand ove rthe ticket to the clerk) to get the form for a bank payment form.

have a great winning day!

clever, missouri
              United States
              Member #139945
              March 7, 2013
              69 Posts
              Posted: March 14, 2013, 12:58 pm - IP Logged

I would know if I won so there would be no need to scan but it would be fun to see reactions.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                mid-Ohio
                United States
                Member #9
                March 24, 2001
                19831 Posts
                Posted: March 14, 2013, 1:15 pm - IP Logged

i think in Ohio its says major prize won on the scanner, not sure though..
                under 5000 you have to go to the clerk and validate the ticket (hand ove rthe ticket to the clerk) to get the form for a bank payment form.

In Ohio if you winning ticket is worth $600-$5000, you have the option of going to a retailer and having your ticket scan for a "pay to bearer" slip and a claim form which can be taken to a local authorized bank to receive your money.  Other wise you have to travel to a regional lottery office to claim any winnings over $599.

Evil Looking       

United States
                  Member #111442
                  May 25, 2011
                  6323 Posts
                  Posted: March 14, 2013, 1:39 pm - IP Logged

In my state if any ticket is worth over $600, it only displays a message and prints a ticket, indicating you need to file your claim at the lottery office.

When I hit the PB for $200K, I had a clerk scan my ticket, and that's exactly what happen.

If anyone hit a jackpot here, the lottery clerks would never have a clue, except to know that it was at least $600.

United States
                    Member #130815
                    July 25, 2012
                    1636 Posts
                    Posted: March 14, 2013, 1:41 pm - IP Logged

Oh just to double make sure...I mean can you ever be too sure of something?? How many people would it alert?? I mean really how many if it's just you and maybe two other people than the clerk in the store??  i mean I wouldnt have it checked there if there was twenty or so people milling around LOL

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                      mid-Ohio
                      United States
                      Member #9
                      March 24, 2001
                      19831 Posts
                      Posted: March 14, 2013, 1:56 pm - IP Logged

Oh just to double make sure...I mean can you ever be too sure of something?? How many people would it alert?? I mean really how many if it's just you and maybe two other people than the clerk in the store??  i mean I wouldnt have it checked there if there was twenty or so people milling around LOL

I have Internet which means I can recheck it with LP and the official lottery website as many times as needed to convince me that I've won and nobody but me have to know until I call the regional lottery office to tell them I'm coming in, get ready.

Evil Looking       

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
                        Oklahoma
                        United States
                        Member #82391
                        November 12, 2009
                        6290 Posts
                        Posted: March 14, 2013, 2:03 pm - IP Logged

He** No!!!!

I Love Pink & Green 1908

msharkey2001's avatar - Trek startrek.gif
                          New Hampshire
                          United States
                          Member #136492
                          December 12, 2012
                          322 Posts
                          Posted: March 14, 2013, 2:10 pm - IP Logged

In my state if any ticket is worth over $600, it only displays a message and prints a ticket, indicating you need to file your claim at the lottery office.

When I hit the PB for $200K, I had a clerk scan my ticket, and that's exactly what happen.

If anyone hit a jackpot here, the lottery clerks would never have a clue, except to know that it was at least $600.

I would bypass the sales clerks and take my ticket straight to Integra Ave, Concord, NH.

United States
                            Member #111442
                            May 25, 2011
                            6323 Posts
                            Posted: March 14, 2013, 2:26 pm - IP Logged

I would bypass the sales clerks and take my ticket straight to Integra Ave, Concord, NH.

Sounds like you have your ducks all lined up. Make sure you ask for Debi, she's the cutest gal there, and gets you out with a check in no time.   Hippy

msharkey2001's avatar - Trek startrek.gif
                              New Hampshire
                              United States
                              Member #136492
                              December 12, 2012
                              322 Posts
                              Posted: March 14, 2013, 4:07 pm - IP Logged

Sounds like you have your ducks all lined up. Make sure you ask for Debi, she's the cutest gal there, and gets you out with a check in no time.   Hippy

Wow mcginnin getting to know the attractive women at NHLC HQ? Very nice!

You sir sound like quite the player and I'm not talking strictly lottery here!

Banana