Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 7:43 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

If you did win the jackpot...would you let a store clerk scan the ticket??

Topic closed. 36 replies. Last post 4 years ago by sully16.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #130815
July 25, 2012
1636 Posts
Posted: March 14, 2013, 5:50 pm - IP Logged

I have Internet which means I can recheck it with LP and the official lottery website as many times as needed to convince me that I've won and nobody but me have to know until I call the regional lottery office to tell them I'm coming in, get ready.

Yeah and that's what I said in the original post that there are about 30 dozen ways to check it....but I and I mean me personally wouldnt mind just double making sure with another set of eyes rather than my own fall on those winning numbers as they scan my signed ticket....and I wouldnt call the lottery office I'd just show up when Im ready to claim my cash...you know after i got my financial planning stuff straight

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
    mid-Ohio
    United States
    Member #9
    March 24, 2001
    19825 Posts
    Posted: March 14, 2013, 8:07 pm - IP Logged

Yeah and that's what I said in the original post that there are about 30 dozen ways to check it....but I and I mean me personally wouldnt mind just double making sure with another set of eyes rather than my own fall on those winning numbers as they scan my signed ticket....and I wouldnt call the lottery office I'd just show up when Im ready to claim my cash...you know after i got my financial planning stuff straight

I've read that in Ohio, the verification process for a jackpot winner can take a couple of weeks, so it takes a while before the money is deposited in your account.  Besides, on its lottery website Ohio suggests jackpot winners call for an appointment before showing up.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

United States
      Member #130815
      July 25, 2012
      1636 Posts
      Posted: March 14, 2013, 8:25 pm - IP Logged

I've read that in Ohio, the verification process for a jackpot winner can take a couple of weeks, so it takes a while before the money is deposited in your account.  Besides, on its lottery website Ohio suggests jackpot winners call for an appointment before showing up.

LOL they could suggest away Im showing up when I feel like it...of course you wont get the money the same day...LOL we're talking millions of dollars here... it goes from one crying bank manager to one thant is grinning from ear to ear...LOL...and how in the world does it take 2 weeks to verify a ticket?? What they calling in Gil Grissom or something?

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
        Bay Area - California
        United States
        Member #136477
        December 12, 2012
        4106 Posts
        Posted: March 14, 2013, 9:28 pm - IP Logged

I think I'd like to see what the screen would say if I did had the winning jackpot ticket....Ive won a couple of hundred dollars before and here in NC...when the clerk scans a winning ticket Im guessing $50 and up it play a little tune...We're in the money... I think that's it...but I think mainly I'd do it to make sure I wasnt crazy LOL....I mean there's a million ways to check a winning ticket but it really really sinks in for me when there is someone else to verify Im seeing what Im seeing...of course they'd only be checking it AFTER Ive signed it....

Out here in California we have lottery ticket scanning machines that you can use to personally scan your own tickets. For awhile- some slimy clerks would take your ticket, scan it and tell you that you have won $5.00 when in fact you have won $500.00. There have been enough sting operations on the West Coast and a number of these store clerks have served time for this crap.One also has to be savvy enough to follow the news when it is reported that the winning ticket was purchased in your neighborhood and there is good chance that the winner could be you.Handing your " winning" ticket over to a clerk is just not the right thing to do, especially if you have not signed the back of that puppy.

If you cannot read- you have no business asking advice from a lottery store clerk, its a recipe for disaster.

ashabug725's avatar - Yavill
          Indiana
          United States
          Member #122868
          February 9, 2012
          322 Posts
          Posted: March 14, 2013, 10:15 pm - IP Logged

Out here in California we have lottery ticket scanning machines that you can use to personally scan your own tickets. For awhile- some slimy clerks would take your ticket, scan it and tell you that you have won $5.00 when in fact you have won $500.00. There have been enough sting operations on the West Coast and a number of these store clerks have served time for this crap.One also has to be savvy enough to follow the news when it is reported that the winning ticket was purchased in your neighborhood and there is good chance that the winner could be you.Handing your " winning" ticket over to a clerk is just not the right thing to do, especially if you have not signed the back of that puppy.

If you cannot read- you have no business asking advice from a lottery store clerk, its a recipe for disaster.

We have those in Indiana... Some of the clerks get annoyed if u ask them to check tickets for u..

I wish I may, I wish I might...
                     Win the Powerball jackpot THIS big night!!!

jackpotismine's avatar - kanji for_peace.jpg
            Kunming
            China
            Member #57910
            January 23, 2008
            3626 Posts
            Posted: March 14, 2013, 10:33 pm - IP Logged

HELL NO!

Play to win!

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
              Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
              United States
              Member #73904
              April 28, 2009
              14903 Posts
              Posted: March 14, 2013, 10:40 pm - IP Logged

HELL NO!

Whatsamatter?

You don't trust them Chinamen?

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
                Massachusetts
                United States
                Member #37433
                April 14, 2006
                2747 Posts
                Posted: March 14, 2013, 10:47 pm - IP Logged

If I had already checked it on the internet and just need confirmation then I probably would. But I would first sign at the back of it and maybe make a copy.

That money's gone fo ever

sully16's avatar - sharan
                  Ringleader
                  Michigan
                  United States
                  Member #81740
                  October 28, 2009
                  40377 Posts
                  Posted: March 14, 2013, 10:49 pm - IP Logged

No, the less people involved the better.

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
                    Bay Area - California
                    United States
                    Member #136477
                    December 12, 2012
                    4106 Posts
                    Posted: March 14, 2013, 11:34 pm - IP Logged

Whatsamatter?

Kinda reminds me of the old saying Ryder " All your base are belong to us"   Evil Looking

jackpotismine's avatar - kanji for_peace.jpg
                      Kunming
                      China
                      Member #57910
                      January 23, 2008
                      3626 Posts
                      Posted: March 14, 2013, 11:41 pm - IP Logged

Whatsamatter?

No Old Fart.

Play to win!

RedStang's avatar - tallman zps6gf4inoc.jpg
                        NY
                        United States
                        Member #121961
                        January 21, 2012
                        3157 Posts
                        Posted: March 15, 2013, 1:45 am - IP Logged

No way i would let someone touch that ticket. My luck, some clerk eating popeyes chicken behind the counter would soak it in grease and make the ticket invalid.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                          mid-Ohio
                          United States
                          Member #9
                          March 24, 2001
                          19825 Posts
                          Posted: March 15, 2013, 1:57 am - IP Logged

LOL they could suggest away Im showing up when I feel like it...of course you wont get the money the same day...LOL we're talking millions of dollars here... it goes from one crying bank manager to one thant is grinning from ear to ear...LOL...and how in the world does it take 2 weeks to verify a ticket?? What they calling in Gil Grissom or something?

Not only do they check all the security of the ticket but investigate any other claims made for the ticket or against the winner such as child support, unpaid taxes and such.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
                            u$a
                            United States
                            Member #106665
                            February 22, 2011
                            19771 Posts
                            Posted: March 15, 2013, 2:00 am - IP Logged

No way i would let someone touch that ticket. My luck, some clerk eating popeyes chicken behind the counter would soak it in grease and make the ticket invalid.

Green laugh

Let it Snow Snowman

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
                              u$a
                              United States
                              Member #106665
                              February 22, 2011
                              19771 Posts
                              Posted: March 15, 2013, 2:16 am - IP Logged

We have those in Indiana... Some of the clerks get annoyed if u ask them to check tickets for u..

their probably just annoyed that they have to live in Indiana Dance

Let it Snow Snowman