Welcome Guest
You last visited January 22, 2017, 11:19 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

I'm beginning to think that picking my own numbers is the way to go as opposed to QP's

Topic closed. 34 replies. Last post 4 years ago by realtorjim.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #122468
February 1, 2012
530 Posts
Posted: March 17, 2013, 12:51 pm - IP Logged

Hi again,

I had posted about my bad luck with QP's recently. Mentioned that I had 2 lines with 3 numbers in a row on a QP for Mass Cash. Well last Wed. for the Powerball drawing I switched things up. I usually only by 1 line for MM and PB (also always play the Multiplier and Powerplay). Anyway I decided to buy 3 lines due to the big jackpot. This time after work I really took some time to pick my numbers and was so happy to get the powerball number (had 3 other numbers but they were not all on the same line). Well I cashed in my 12 dollars and picked my numbers again for last nights drawing. This time I bought 5 lines (only cost me 3 dollars since I cashed in my winnings). Again I got the powerball and had 3 numbers on different lines and the other two numbers I was off by one digit. The last time I even got the powerball number was over a year ago (and prior to this was always doing QP's). I'm sure many of you are probably laughing at me for getting excited over getting the Powerball for both last Wed. and last nights draw, but for me that's exciting. I'm really going to continue to try to pick my own numbers. It is more time consuming but I hope it brings me closer to getting a decent win (I'd be thilled to get anything).

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
    Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
    United States
    Member #73904
    April 28, 2009
    14903 Posts
    Posted: March 17, 2013, 1:09 pm - IP Logged

Hi again,

I had posted about my bad luck with QP's recently. Mentioned that I had 2 lines with 3 numbers in a row on a QP for Mass Cash. Well last Wed. for the Powerball drawing I switched things up. I usually only by 1 line for MM and PB (also always play the Multiplier and Powerplay). Anyway I decided to buy 3 lines due to the big jackpot. This time after work I really took some time to pick my numbers and was so happy to get the powerball number (had 3 other numbers but they were not all on the same line). Well I cashed in my 12 dollars and picked my numbers again for last nights drawing. This time I bought 5 lines (only cost me 3 dollars since I cashed in my winnings). Again I got the powerball and had 3 numbers on different lines and the other two numbers I was off by one digit. The last time I even got the powerball number was over a year ago (and prior to this was always doing QP's). I'm sure many of you are probably laughing at me for getting excited over getting the Powerball for both last Wed. and last nights draw, but for me that's exciting. I'm really going to continue to try to pick my own numbers. It is more time consuming but I hope it brings me closer to getting a decent win (I'd be thilled to get anything).

The best way to do it is whatever way works for you.

Good luck!

United States
      Member #122468
      February 1, 2012
      530 Posts
      Posted: March 17, 2013, 1:22 pm - IP Logged

The best way to do it is whatever way works for you.

Good luck!

Hi rdgrnr,

Thanks, good luck to you as well. I like your way of thinking that whatever works for a person.

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
        Oklahoma
        United States
        Member #82391
        November 12, 2009
        6305 Posts
        Posted: March 17, 2013, 1:33 pm - IP Logged

Congratulation shy on your winning streakThumbs Up I like picking my #'s I have two set of #'s that I play for PB & Mega & then I usually get 1 quick pick.

I Love Pink & Green 1908

United States
          Member #122468
          February 1, 2012
          530 Posts
          Posted: March 17, 2013, 1:48 pm - IP Logged

Congratulation shy on your winning streakThumbs Up I like picking my #'s I have two set of #'s that I play for PB & Mega & then I usually get 1 quick pick.

Hi dallascowboyfan,

Thanks. The two sets of numbers that you play for PB and MM are these numbers you have been playing for years?

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
            Bay Area - California
            United States
            Member #136477
            December 12, 2012
            4146 Posts
            Posted: March 17, 2013, 3:24 pm - IP Logged

Hi rdgrnr,

Thanks, good luck to you as well. I like your way of thinking that whatever works for a person.

Its a game of Chance- anything can happen.That is why the majority of wins are with QP's.People pull into a gas station, fill up and see the amount for the game and give the clerk$2-3 and next thing you know, they have won.

Chance.

"

the absence of any cause of events that can be predicted,understood, or controlled: often personified or treated as apositive agency.
            Argue
              Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
              Member #121745
              January 16, 2012
              4987 Posts
              Posted: March 17, 2013, 4:58 pm - IP Logged

I am in favor of picking your own numbers. I like to think I control my destiny (at least a little) and 99% of the time when I have got QPS, the numbers were terrible (like 4 numbers  in a row). But I don't commit to a set more than 2 times in a row. It does not take much to scroll down past winning numbers and say....hmm I think 2 is due again.  But I play for fun and do not believe winning will make someone happy if they were not happy before. I have just as much fun guessing one MM number and competing there even though it involves no money.

J'aime La France.

LAKE HAVASU AZ
                United States
                Member #44729
                August 8, 2006
                446 Posts
                Posted: March 17, 2013, 4:59 pm - IP Logged

Its a game of Chance- anything can happen.That is why the majority of wins are with QP's.People pull into a gas station, fill up and see the amount for the game and give the clerk$2-3 and next thing you know, they have won.

Chance.

"

the absence of any cause of events that can be predicted,understood, or controlled: often personified or treated as apositive agency.
                Argue

i don't care how as long as it's a winnerHurray!

some day....some day

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
                  Oklahoma
                  United States
                  Member #82391
                  November 12, 2009
                  6305 Posts
                  Posted: March 17, 2013, 5:04 pm - IP Logged

Hi dallascowboyfan,

Thanks. The two sets of numbers that you play for PB and MM are these numbers you have been playing for years?

I've been playing them a few months now, I got them off a quick pick and I've been paying them ever since last night I got 3# on the power ball.

I Love Pink & Green 1908

United States
                    Member #122468
                    February 1, 2012
                    530 Posts
                    Posted: March 17, 2013, 5:31 pm - IP Logged

I am in favor of picking your own numbers. I like to think I control my destiny (at least a little) and 99% of the time when I have got QPS, the numbers were terrible (like 4 numbers  in a row). But I don't commit to a set more than 2 times in a row. It does not take much to scroll down past winning numbers and say....hmm I think 2 is due again.  But I play for fun and do not believe winning will make someone happy if they were not happy before. I have just as much fun guessing one MM number and competing there even though it involves no money.

Hi Artist77,

It seems like we have the QP thing in common (getting many numbers in a row). It's good that you don't commit to a set of numbers more than twice in a row. As I've stated in the past, I don't want to have a set of numbers that I feel like I would have to play for each draw (in case I miss a draw would feel awful if the time I didn't play, my set of numbers came up). It's great that you play for fun. For myself fun is secondary and wish I wasn't too serious about the lottery and could relax more.

United States
                      Member #122468
                      February 1, 2012
                      530 Posts
                      Posted: March 17, 2013, 5:32 pm - IP Logged

I've been playing them a few months now, I got them off a quick pick and I've been paying them ever since last night I got 3# on the power ball.

Hi dallascowboyfan,

Congrats on getting 3 numbers on the powerball that's great.

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
                        u$a
                        United States
                        Member #106665
                        February 22, 2011
                        19964 Posts
                        Posted: March 17, 2013, 5:41 pm - IP Logged

Hi Artist77,

It seems like we have the QP thing in common (getting many numbers in a row). It's good that you don't commit to a set of numbers more than twice in a row. As I've stated in the past, I don't want to have a set of numbers that I feel like I would have to play for each draw (in case I miss a draw would feel awful if the time I didn't play, my set of numbers came up). It's great that you play for fun. For myself fun is secondary and wish I wasn't too serious about the lottery and could relax more.

http://www.lotterypost.com/news/153263

http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/197123

you might like to look at these links Smiley

Let it Snow Snowman

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
                          u$a
                          United States
                          Member #106665
                          February 22, 2011
                          19964 Posts
                          Posted: March 17, 2013, 5:42 pm - IP Logged

here's a great story:

Five trillion to one! Punter scoops second lottery win with the same numbers  By David Wilkes

THE odds against being so lucky were mind-boggling - more than five trillion to one.

But yesterday, punter Mike McDermott was planning retirement to the sunshine  island of his dreams after winning the lottery for the second time with the same  numbers.

'I really am in disbelief,' the 50-year-old electrician admitted as he  toasted his success with champagne. 'I thought it was simply impossible to win  twice like this - I can't believe such incredible luck.'

In June, he and his wife Helen were ecstatic when the numbers - 15,16,18,28  36, and 49 - came up as five numbers plus the bonus ball, scooping £194,501.

Mr McDermott kept doing the same numbers, but more out of habit than any real  hope of another small fortune.

So last Saturday he was staggered when he checked the lottery result on  Teletext at his home in Gosport, Hampshire, and saw he had won again with five  numbers plus the bonus ball - this time, his prize was £121,157.

The odds of his first win were 2,330,636 to one. But the second time, the  odds shot up to 5,400,000, 000,000 to one. Yesterday, Mr McDermott celebrated  aboard a yacht at the Port Solent marina near Portsmouth - symbolising the fact  that he and his wife are soon heading off to the island of Kerkenah, off  Tunisia, where they have bought a house.

'We really can't believe our incredible luck,' he said. We thought winning  twice with the same numbers would be impossible but, obviously, it really can  happen - as it's happened to us.

'People say that things always come in threes, so I will definitely be  keeping my numbers. I now believe that anything is possible.' He was alone at  home on Saturday and pottering around when he decided to make a cup of tea and  check his lottery numbers.

'I switched Teletext on and went into the kitchen and put the kettle on.  Through the crack in the door, I could see the numbers come up on the screen,'  he recalled.

'I always choose the same numbers - they are made up of birthdays and dates  which have special memories for me - so I recognised a couple and thought I  might have won a tenner.

'When I went in and checked, I was absolutely astonished. I didn't really  believe it, so I rang the Camelot hotline and asked them to check them for me  before I told anyone. Then I rang my wife and she didn't believe me. She asked  if she was dreaming.'

The McDermotts have a son Dominic, 21, who lives in Oxford, and a daughter  Danielle, 23, who lives in Crewe.

After the first win, the couple worked towards realising their dream of  settling on Kerkenah.

Now they can retire and will move to the island by the New Year. 'After we  go, I will keep playing the lottery by subscription,' said Mr McDermott. Camelot  spokesman Alison Boyle said: 'It's fantastic that he's beaten the odds twice and  we wish him and his family all our best.' The odds of picking five correct  numbers and the bonus ball at random are 2,330,636 to one.

This is because the chance of winning the jackpot (i.e. six correct numbers)  is 14million to one.

But you are six times more likely to match five numbers and the bonus ball  than getting the first six numbers correct because you have one more chance - so  the odds are 14million divided by six. The odds of the same six correct numbers  coming up at random again are 5,400,000,000,000 to one, because that is  2,330,636 squared. This is because the two different draws are independent  events and the chances of them happening each time are the same. So the odds are  2,330,636 multiplied by 2,330,636.

'Thinking of something that is as unlikely as this is almost impossible,'  said Professor Simon Cox, of the University of Southampton.

'It is such an unlikely event that I can think of nothing else that is as  unlikely - other than winning the lottery twice.'

Smiley

Let it Snow Snowman

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
                            Member #121745
                            January 16, 2012
                            4987 Posts
                            Posted: March 17, 2013, 5:49 pm - IP Logged

here's a great story:

Five trillion to one! Punter scoops second lottery win with the same numbers  By David Wilkes

THE odds against being so lucky were mind-boggling - more than five trillion to one.

But yesterday, punter Mike McDermott was planning retirement to the sunshine  island of his dreams after winning the lottery for the second time with the same  numbers.

'I really am in disbelief,' the 50-year-old electrician admitted as he  toasted his success with champagne. 'I thought it was simply impossible to win  twice like this - I can't believe such incredible luck.'

In June, he and his wife Helen were ecstatic when the numbers - 15,16,18,28  36, and 49 - came up as five numbers plus the bonus ball, scooping £194,501.

Mr McDermott kept doing the same numbers, but more out of habit than any real  hope of another small fortune.

So last Saturday he was staggered when he checked the lottery result on  Teletext at his home in Gosport, Hampshire, and saw he had won again with five  numbers plus the bonus ball - this time, his prize was £121,157.

The odds of his first win were 2,330,636 to one. But the second time, the  odds shot up to 5,400,000, 000,000 to one. Yesterday, Mr McDermott celebrated  aboard a yacht at the Port Solent marina near Portsmouth - symbolising the fact  that he and his wife are soon heading off to the island of Kerkenah, off  Tunisia, where they have bought a house.

'We really can't believe our incredible luck,' he said. We thought winning  twice with the same numbers would be impossible but, obviously, it really can  happen - as it's happened to us.

'People say that things always come in threes, so I will definitely be  keeping my numbers. I now believe that anything is possible.' He was alone at  home on Saturday and pottering around when he decided to make a cup of tea and  check his lottery numbers.

'I switched Teletext on and went into the kitchen and put the kettle on.  Through the crack in the door, I could see the numbers come up on the screen,'  he recalled.

'I always choose the same numbers - they are made up of birthdays and dates  which have special memories for me - so I recognised a couple and thought I  might have won a tenner.

'When I went in and checked, I was absolutely astonished. I didn't really  believe it, so I rang the Camelot hotline and asked them to check them for me  before I told anyone. Then I rang my wife and she didn't believe me. She asked  if she was dreaming.'

The McDermotts have a son Dominic, 21, who lives in Oxford, and a daughter  Danielle, 23, who lives in Crewe.

After the first win, the couple worked towards realising their dream of  settling on Kerkenah.

Now they can retire and will move to the island by the New Year. 'After we  go, I will keep playing the lottery by subscription,' said Mr McDermott. Camelot  spokesman Alison Boyle said: 'It's fantastic that he's beaten the odds twice and  we wish him and his family all our best.' The odds of picking five correct  numbers and the bonus ball at random are 2,330,636 to one.

This is because the chance of winning the jackpot (i.e. six correct numbers)  is 14million to one.

But you are six times more likely to match five numbers and the bonus ball  than getting the first six numbers correct because you have one more chance - so  the odds are 14million divided by six. The odds of the same six correct numbers  coming up at random again are 5,400,000,000,000 to one, because that is  2,330,636 squared. This is because the two different draws are independent  events and the chances of them happening each time are the same. So the odds are  2,330,636 multiplied by 2,330,636.

'Thinking of something that is as unlikely as this is almost impossible,'  said Professor Simon Cox, of the University of Southampton.

'It is such an unlikely event that I can think of nothing else that is as  unlikely - other than winning the lottery twice.'

Smiley

yea it can happen but I think people can ruin their lives and mental well being by committing to a set of numbers for years. Other things come up in life and is one going to be more focused on living life or playing the same set of numbers until they die? It can make people too wrapped up in their numbers and become an obsession.

J'aime La France.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                              Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                              United States
                              Member #73904
                              April 28, 2009
                              14903 Posts
                              Posted: March 18, 2013, 10:48 pm - IP Logged

here's a great story:

Smiley

Some chaps are naturally lucky.

Some blokes are naturally unlucky.

Just the way it is.