Woman wins $40M, not $40K, sparking wild celebrations

Apr 10, 2013, 7:35 pm (72 comments)

Canada Lotto Max

Includes video report

Let's pretend you just won $40 million. Do you sprint up and down the street "like a crazy woman"? Break into a "happy dance," while holding your oversized lottery check? Celebrate by chowing down at a Chinese buffet with your family?

If you're Maria Carreiro, the answer is all of the above — and then some.

The 51-year-old grandmother couldn't contain her excitement, when she talked to, sang to and danced for reporters on Monday after her big, big win.

"Thank you Lord, thank you Lord!" sang the ebullient, dancing Carreiro.

The Portuguese immigrant bought the ticket last Friday at Variety and Video, a store in Toronto, according to the Ontario Lottery and Gaming Corporation. It was a bit of a splurge, because she didn't "have a lot of spending money," but it was one that would change her life forever.

After an initial check on Saturday morning, she excitedly told her daughter that she had won $40,000.

"Then ... she checked on the computer," Carreiro recalled. "She said, 'Mommy, you're $40 million richer.' "

What followed was pure joy.

"So I ran down the street like a crazy woman and checked the lottery ticket, and it said $40 million," she said of the winning ticket, which works out to about $39.4 million U.S. dollars.

"And then I go, 'Oh my god!' And I ran back up the street, home. And then I go, 'I need a glass of water,' " added an ever-smiling Carreiro, stirring laughter from the press corps.

For years, she worked in factories. Beyond that, many of her days have been spent caring for her children and grandchildren.

Now, the time has come to take care of all of them and herself.

That includes the honeymoon she never had, in Hawaii, with her husband, who at first didn't believe they'd struck it rich but has since quit his job. Carreiro said she also plans on using the money to buy a house "for my daughters and me." (But first, she said, the family enjoyed an all-you-can-eat meal at a Chinese restaurant.)

While there's no hiding their joy, her family is still coming to grips with their new, much richer reality — after years of hard work, sacrifice and doing what they could to get by.

"It still hasn't sunk in," said Carreiro's daughter Manuela, her eyes welling with tears. "My dad works so hard, and we've been struggling so much ... $40 million is so much money."

VIDEO: Carreiro at her press conference

Thanks to Ronnie316 for the tip.

Lottery Post Staff

Comments

Lucky4Life's avatarLucky4Life

Yeah i saw that interview too.  Talking about buying houses and cars for her kids already *sigh*

VenomV12

Sooooo, 5 years, 3 years until this one is completely broke?

Why is it idiots like this half the time that end up winning? sigh...PukeWhat?

dpoly1's avatardpoly1

In New Jersey they would throw the ticket away LOL

Original Bey's avatarOriginal Bey

The gods have a sense of humor!

Quote: Originally posted by VenomV12 on Apr 10, 2013

it's got to be, what? less than 20 million after taxes? I say 2-1/2 years

Quote: Originally posted by Lucky4Life on Apr 10, 2013

it's got to be, what? less than 20 million after taxes? I say 2-1/2 years

In Canada 40m is 40m!

SLOYAROLE

I don't think the Canadian government or the Queen (I don't know how Canada works) taxes lottery winnings. She keeps the full $40m. Anyways, good for her. That's why people play... to win.

Quote: Originally posted by Original Bey on Apr 10, 2013

In Canada 40m is 40m!

ok 5 years tops then.

ok 5 years tops then.

She can always open a dance studio once she blows through the cash.

DamGod

as you can see, nature only favours the idiots and not the smart ones. Even if she go broke in 2 years , at least she will gain the experience and enjoyment of spending 40 million dollars, something most people die only dreaming about.....

whiteballz's avatarwhiteballz

do you have to show up to the press conference in Canada? If they forced me to go, I'd wear a ski mask.

Quote: Originally posted by DamGod on Apr 10, 2013

as you can see, nature only favours the idiots and not the smart ones. Even if she go broke in 2 years , at least she will gain the experience and enjoyment of spending 40 million dollars, something most people die only dreaming about.....

"The Meek shall inheret the Earth"

Sad Cheers

VenomV12

Quote: Originally posted by whiteballz on Apr 10, 2013

do you have to show up to the press conference in Canada? If they forced me to go, I'd wear a ski mask.

LMAO, I wonder if you could do that? I mean technically you did come. Banana

larry3100's avatarlarry3100

Congratulations Maria. No taxes on that $40 million, in Canada. Now, I'll give Maria 5 to 7 years that she will go broke. A house for all family members and friends too. Cash loans to her friends that never will be paid back, and so on. Maria after she goes broke. Crying

maringoman's avatarmaringoman

It seems haters cannot help themselves. Its amazing

dallascowboyfan's avatardallascowboyfan

Congratulation Ms. CarreiroThumbs Up

sully16's avatarsully16

Nice job Maria, congrats and enjoy.

BEZ22's avatarBEZ22

Quote: Originally posted by maringoman on Apr 10, 2013

I Agree! must be something in the air.

CLETU$

Congratulations Mrs.Carreiro.I think you'll do just fine with your new found wealth!

tnhope's avatartnhope

CONGRATS MARIA!!!!!Party

Anfang71

Wait...wtf..? Did I hear the reporter say she did a QP an the QP was somehow the exact numbers she usualy plays?? Uhh...its like you won the lottery twice. Why is that not big news? If I heard correctly... I'm dozing off from tired though

RedStang's avatarRedStang

Quote: Originally posted by Original Bey on Apr 10, 2013

She can always open a dance studio once she blows through the cash.

She's gonna need new shoes first.

ShowMeTheMoney$'s avatarShowMeTheMoney$

Quote: Originally posted by Anfang71 on Apr 10, 2013

Wait...wtf..? Did I hear the reporter say she did a QP an the QP was somehow the exact numbers she usualy plays?? Uhh...its like you won the lottery twice. Why is that not big news? If I heard correctly... I'm dozing off from tired though

This sounds too good to be true!!!!  She played the lottery with the same numbers for 20 years.  Then, out of the blue, Maria buys a quick pick, and those number randomly chosen turn out to be the exact same numbers she played all these years.  And, this time she wins the BIG JACKPOT!!! The chances of something like this happening must be astronomical!!!!  It's like FATE or GOD or LUCK intervened.

AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!! OUTSTANDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Is somebody pulling my leg?????   Banana

AlwaysSunday's avatarAlwaysSunday

No tax! Wouldn't that be nice!

No TAXES!!!!  How AWESOME is that?  When it comes to the lottery, you should be able keep the entire jackpot.  I wonder if the $40 million is in cash or is there an annuity?  Will she have to lose about half to get the cash lump sum now?  Dance

savagegoose's avatarsavagegoose

im calling BS on that. if true the lady of luck has some special plans for this family.

she had luck, lets hope they have the wisdom. a mill each for the kids and grand kids should still leave maybe 30 ish mill, say 25mill. after kids have blown that   mill tell em to get a job.

hearsetrax's avatarhearsetrax

smart money sez she'll be broke inside of three years and be on the canadian version of the curse of the lottery Stooges

Quote: Originally posted by ShowMeTheMoney$ on Apr 11, 2013

No TAXES!!!!  How AWESOME is that?  When it comes to the lottery, you should be able keep the entire jackpot.  I wonder if the $40 million is in cash or is there an annuity?  Will she have to lose about half to get the cash lump sum now?  Dance

No annuity either. One big check/wire transfer in about 5 weeks.

miracleplay5's avatarmiracleplay5

RantGood for her and her family. It is a blessing and appears as though it was truly meant for her to win. Bitter people always try to predict the dismise of others. It's a shame to see people say she will be broke in 5-7 years or whatever, if we worked harder on optimism and predicting the numbers we wouldnt have time to dig ditches for others to fall in. We reap what we sow and the pit you dig for someone else may very well be your pit that you fall in. Buying houses and cars for her children wont have her broke, she didnt say she was buying mansions and Bugatti veyron super sports cars for them all. The envious comments from some of u sound like IF u ever win you are going to put your money in a glass case and just look at it.no you are going to spend it.DUH!!!They can make their money work for them and not go broke. I choose to believe this hard working family is going to be set for life and leave an inheritance for their children children. How many of you have stay at home wives and if you are a woman leaving bitter comments soaked in envy are you a stay at home wife? I absolutely love it that man worked hard and based on biblical standards he worked and took care of the family LIKE A REAL MAN IS SUPPOSE TO!!A woman should not be forced to work it is a choice for her to work.How did I get here? Anyway again I am very happy for this family and I wish them well for centuries to come.May God continue to bless you richly.PartySee Ya!

DamGod

Quote: Originally posted by miracleplay5 on Apr 11, 2013

RantGood for her and her family. It is a blessing and appears as though it was truly meant for her to win. Bitter people always try to predict the dismise of others. It's a shame to see people say she will be broke in 5-7 years or whatever, if we worked harder on optimism and predicting the numbers we wouldnt have time to dig ditches for others to fall in. We reap what we sow and the pit you dig for someone else may very well be your pit that you fall in. Buying houses and cars for her children wont have her broke, she didnt say she was buying mansions and Bugatti veyron super sports cars for them all. The envious comments from some of u sound like IF u ever win you are going to put your money in a glass case and just look at it.no you are going to spend it.DUH!!!They can make their money work for them and not go broke. I choose to believe this hard working family is going to be set for life and leave an inheritance for their children children. How many of you have stay at home wives and if you are a woman leaving bitter comments soaked in envy are you a stay at home wife? I absolutely love it that man worked hard and based on biblical standards he worked and took care of the family LIKE A REAL MAN IS SUPPOSE TO!!A woman should not be forced to work it is a choice for her to work.How did I get here? Anyway again I am very happy for this family and I wish them well for centuries to come.May God continue to bless you richly.PartySee Ya!

Thank you for the positive comment, may you win the lottery soon......

DamGod

Thats the magic, whatever you put out is what you get back. For 20 years she was playing the same numbers and the same numbers was given back to her.....this is KARMA at its best !!

miracleplay5's avatarmiracleplay5

Quote: Originally posted by DamGod on Apr 11, 2013

Thank you for the positive comment, may you win the lottery soon......

1. Hey I believe in rejoicing with people not rolling my eyes in disgust wishing they would fail. I am truly happy for this family. I hope they take self defense courses buy a lot of firearms and get superb firearms training as well. Thank God for the 2nd Amendment. For the people that may try to invade their homes and cars at gun point to rob them. I get why the lottery dont want people to remain anonymous,but I dont like it! when I win I am wearing a disguise and I wont purchase things in my birth name and I will also choose the annuity.I want ALL my money!btw I hope you win too&the largest jackpot your area has ever had.HyperParty
fwlawrence's avatarfwlawrence

I would have a wild celebration if I won $40,000!

Ronnie316

"The Meek shall inheret the Earth"

Sad Cheers

I Agree! Cheers

Maria and her family seem like nice, down-to-earth people.  I hope them the best.  May we all be so lucky.  This is truly a dream come true.  If she is smart with her windfall of cash, she will be set for life and have enough for future generations.  Banana

golfer1960's avatargolfer1960

I love her reaction and dance! Priceless! I can only imagine what my reaction would be...

jumping for joy

mypiemaster's avatarmypiemaster

Maria, may God bless you and your family. I have a feeling you are going to have a lot of fun, and do a lot of good with your windfall.

ressuccess's avatarressuccess

I didn't know that person got $40 million dollars. How did she got lucky?

JezzVim

Quote: Originally posted by sully16 on Apr 10, 2013

I agree Sully.  These are hard working people and all I would want is to wish them well and hope that God guide them.

JezzVim

Quote: Originally posted by sully16 on Apr 10, 2013

I agree Sully.  These are hard working people and all I want is to wish them well and hope that God guides them.

Ronnie316

Quote: Originally posted by JezzVim on Apr 11, 2013

I agree Sully.  These are hard working people and all I want is to wish them well and hope that God guides them.

I Agree!

helpmewin's avatarhelpmewin

Quote: Originally posted by Ronnie316 on Apr 11, 2013

I Agree!

she can't count Hit With Stick

jimmy4164

Yahoo.com quoted abcNEWS this way...

"She had been playing the lottery for years, but had always used her three childrens' birthdays as the numbers, according to the CBC. This time, she let the computer choose the numbers for her."

There's no mention of a QP producing her birthday plays.

I'll bet she's glad she bought a Quick Pick this time!  Smile

http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/canadian-grandmother-thrilled-win-40k-lottery-40-million-032645526--abc-news-topstories.html

Congratulations to Maria!

DAyzz

That's exacly what she claims!

She plays the same set every week, but this time decided to quick pick it up. Ironicly her set came up as one of the quickpicks, and equally as ironic that set hit.

jimmy4164

Quote: Originally posted by DAyzz on Apr 12, 2013

That's exacly what she claims!

She plays the same set every week, but this time decided to quick pick it up. Ironicly her set came up as one of the quickpicks, and equally as ironic that set hit.

Looks like you're right DAyzz.

I found another agency that supports your post.

The results for the $40M Lotto Max for 4/5/13 was:

02-14-15-17-24-38-40, Bonus: 31

It's possible but that's a lot of numbers to randomly duplicate!  Since Maria is only 51, none of her children could have been born in 1938 or 1940, so I suspect that in her excitement she probably said something that wasn't quite complete.  The QP probably produced SOME of her birthday numbers.  It really doesn't matter anyway.  She won!

Quote: Originally posted by jimmy4164 on Apr 12, 2013

It's possible but that's a lot of numbers to randomly duplicate!  Since Maria is only 51, none of her children could have been born in 1938 or 1940, so I suspect that in her excitement she probably said something that wasn't quite complete.  The QP probably produced SOME of her birthday numbers.  It really doesn't matter anyway.  She won!

Hoosier Lotto Wed Apr 10, 2013 10-13-14-15-17-41

them numbers looks LIKE what we drawed on wed night i had 3 of them

my ticket was 14-15-17-19-25-31 self pick Sad

well i am happy for her & her family & glad they have no Tax there. Banana

Ronnie316

Quote: Originally posted by helpmewin on Apr 12, 2013

Hoosier Lotto Wed Apr 10, 2013 10-13-14-15-17-41

them numbers looks LIKE what we drawed on wed night i had 3 of them

my ticket was 14-15-17-19-25-31 self pick Sad

well i am happy for her & her family & glad they have no Tax there. Banana

I Agree! People shound not be taxed on lottery winnings.

Ronnie316

Yahoo.com quoted abcNEWS this way...

"She had been playing the lottery for years, but had always used her three childrens' birthdays as the numbers, according to the CBC. This time, she let the computer choose the numbers for her."

There's no mention of a QP producing her birthday plays.

I'll bet she's glad she bought a Quick Pick this time!  Smile

http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blogs/canadian-grandmother-thrilled-win-40k-lottery-40-million-032645526--abc-news-topstories.html

Congratulations to Maria!

Sounds link QPs are the ONLY way to play?

Quote: Originally posted by Ronnie316 on Apr 12, 2013

I Agree! People shound not be taxed on lottery winnings.

I Agree!  she Dance like Gypsy.

Ronnie316

I Agree!  she Dance like Gypsy.

I Agree! With some Indian heritage.

Congrats to them all: i like to see people win like that: kids deserve a House & car to get them out started in life on their own, Spend Wisely Maria Dance

Ronnie316

Thanks OB, watched it again and the reporter clearly states. "THE QP was the "EXACT SAME NUMBERS" as she normally plays...... Mind blowing....... What odds would Jammy give for this happenstantial situation?

Ronnie316

Congrats to them all: i like to see people win like that: kids deserve a House & car to get them out started in life on their own, Spend Wisely Maria Dance

I Agree! I have always said... A house and car for every family member.

I Agree! i hope they aint to Big a family   Hurray!

Ronnie316

I Agree! i hope they aint to Big a family   Hurray!

If you had Pedro's money, that would be about 1% of your stash.

i like a house in 5 different states that i travel to. Naughty

Get a house on wheels so you can take it with you.

Who's Pedro.

Quote: Originally posted by RedStang on Apr 13, 2013

Get a house on wheels so you can take it with you.

what is a house on wheels? What?

Quote: Originally posted by helpmewin on Apr 13, 2013

Ronnie316

hearsetrax's avatarhearsetrax

house on wheels

Quote: Originally posted by hearsetrax on Apr 13, 2013

house on wheels

Quote: Originally posted by Ronnie316 on Apr 13, 2013

Quote: Originally posted by RedStang on Apr 13, 2013

savagegoose's avatarsavagegoose

Big O's next campaign promise?

Quote: Originally posted by Ronnie316 on Apr 13, 2013

LOL what if you was sleeping and someone drove off with you house

call 911 what's your address (i don't know) can you imagine Green laugh

Knightsquad

Quote: Originally posted by maringoman on Apr 10, 2013

Just what I was thinking!

Man you people are so F jealous.

Good for the lady, hope she has a blast the rest of her life!

HaveABall's avatarHaveABall

That's called a time-share. Beaver

Congratulations on your $40M Canadian jackpot win, Maria Carreiro, you've got a lot of viger! Banana

Quote: Originally posted by HaveABall on Apr 14, 2013

That's called a time-share. Beaver

Congratulations on your $40M Canadian jackpot win, Maria Carreiro, you've got a lot of viger! Banana

LOL No thanks!

well i already bought 2 houses  but i sold one just need 4 moreDanceDanceDanceDance

jamella724

She seems so excited to spend her money. Well there's nothing wrong to splurge a little bit. However I hope she won't get so excited that she will become broke few years after.

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story