Welcome Guest
You last visited January 20, 2017, 9:09 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

What city will you retire in?

Topic closed. 36 replies. Last post 4 years ago by haymaker.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
mikeintexas's avatar - tx avatar-1.gif
Texas Panhandle
United States
Member #136843
December 20, 2012
1403 Posts
Posted: May 1, 2013, 3:02 am - IP Logged

Ultimately somewhere west/southwest of Austin. Spicewood, Marble Falls, Dripping Springs, Blanco, Wimberley, Fredericksburg, etc. Somewhere with plenty of acres and maybe with a river or creek that flows through it.

For now though I would take somewhere around LA. Santa Monica, Manhattan Beach and Marina Del Rey are my top picks. I could settle with just visiting family who would be living in one of those areas listed in Texas.

I love to look at the real estate ads in the back of Texas Monthly.  I also subscribe to the Texas Landman site feed for their new listings and saw a place near Wimberly I'd love to own.   I'm with you, I want some "live" water on my place, close enough to town for it not to be a hassle to get there but far enough away to not have many neighbors. 

I live in the Panhandle of Texas and my online friends from other countries were amazed when we were in chat or instant messaging and I mentioned it was snowing;  they thought Texas was like it was in the old movies, desert and dry, no trees.  I told 'em that those movies were prob. shot in N. Mexico or Arizona.   I really don't know where I'd move if I won the lottery, but I do know it wouldn't be past this town's northern city limits sign.  Not a big fan of winter.

A people that elect corrupt politicians, impostors, thieves and traitors are not victims...but accomplices.
 - George Orwell

Texas Panhandle
    United States
    Member #136843
    December 20, 2012
    1403 Posts
    Posted: May 1, 2013, 3:05 am - IP Logged

Thank God I'm a country boy.

You couldn't make me live in a city for nothin', no how, no way.

Too damm many Homo sapiens.

They're everywhere now.

I refuse to live around 'em.

My gosh, you must be my long-lost twin. 

I think I'd like to have you for a neighbor, rd.   About a mile apart would be about right, huh? 

I want to live far enough out on a dead end road that if I saw someone coming, they were either coming to see me, were lost or didn't have any business being out there.

A people that elect corrupt politicians, impostors, thieves and traitors are not victims...but accomplices.
     - George Orwell

ttech10's avatar - blobdude
      Texas
      United States
      Member #92330
      June 5, 2010
      887 Posts
      Posted: May 1, 2013, 1:25 pm - IP Logged

I love to look at the real estate ads in the back of Texas Monthly.  I also subscribe to the Texas Landman site feed for their new listings and saw a place near Wimberly I'd love to own.   I'm with you, I want some "live" water on my place, close enough to town for it not to be a hassle to get there but far enough away to not have many neighbors. 

I live in the Panhandle of Texas and my online friends from other countries were amazed when we were in chat or instant messaging and I mentioned it was snowing;  they thought Texas was like it was in the old movies, desert and dry, no trees.  I told 'em that those movies were prob. shot in N. Mexico or Arizona.   I really don't know where I'd move if I won the lottery, but I do know it wouldn't be past this town's northern city limits sign.  Not a big fan of winter.

I used to live up there in Lubbock. A few years back there were cancellations of classes (universities included) from rain, as well as from snow. It's a pretty diverse state. The other day the temps ranged from 28 degrees all the way to 98. In high school we had an exchange student who thought she was going to have to ride horses to class.

I look online at a lot of homes and wonder what the water levels are doing to their prices. There's one house on the Pedernales outside of Fredericksburg that I'd love to have, even with low water.

Milwaukee, WI
        United States
        Member #3131
        December 27, 2003
        665 Posts
        Posted: May 1, 2013, 8:46 pm - IP Logged

As of now, Milwaukee, as I'm retired Yea!!!!!! in milwaukee.

Retirement is great, but don't think that once you retire that you have nothing to do. You are usually more busy.

LAKE HAVASU AZ
          United States
          Member #44729
          August 8, 2006
          446 Posts
          Posted: May 1, 2013, 9:13 pm - IP Logged

just got back from laughlin nv looking at homes ,..very nice

some day....some day

Republic of Texas
            United States
            Member #57557
            January 9, 2008
            1095 Posts
            Posted: May 1, 2013, 9:47 pm - IP Logged

Ultimately somewhere west/southwest of Austin. Spicewood, Marble Falls, Dripping Springs, Blanco, Wimberley, Fredericksburg, etc. Somewhere with plenty of acres and maybe with a river or creek that flows through it.

For now though I would take somewhere around LA. Santa Monica, Manhattan Beach and Marina Del Rey are my top picks. I could settle with just visiting family who would be living in one of those areas listed in Texas.

Hill Country!

Lake LBJ would be a good place to start. Maybe some acreage on either the Blanco or LLano rivers. Or the Pedernales.  With a dam and a low water crossing. Paradise.

face

singlewinnersinglewinnersinglewinner   

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
              Member #4877
              May 30, 2004
              5143 Posts
              Posted: May 1, 2013, 10:07 pm - IP Logged

I'm thinking Scottsdale or Paradise Valley AZ...........

Maybe Hawaii in the summer months. Anyone know what the weather is like in the summer in Hawaii?

http://money.msn.com/retirement/c_galleryregular.aspx?cp-documentid=251161624

RN:

PSYKO want's 2 retire where RickG>>>>>>>

"RETIRE">>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

PSYKO may B >crazy>BUT>RickG>WIN'$$$

Hurray!DrumHurray!

decatur, ga
                United States
                Member #142079
                May 1, 2013
                2 Posts
                Posted: May 1, 2013, 10:47 pm - IP Logged

Decatur would be the city for me to retire. Best of luck in the new draws.

5/1/2013. 9:47pm

guuusaa been aadaan yee haaltaa. dawaada been aadaan yee haaltaa. naasa been aadaan yee haaltaa. eeenaaytaa aaaiiiwaa

Texas Panhandle
                  United States
                  Member #136843
                  December 20, 2012
                  1403 Posts
                  Posted: May 2, 2013, 12:08 am - IP Logged

I used to live up there in Lubbock. A few years back there were cancellations of classes (universities included) from rain, as well as from snow. It's a pretty diverse state. The other day the temps ranged from 28 degrees all the way to 98. In high school we had an exchange student who thought she was going to have to ride horses to class.

I look online at a lot of homes and wonder what the water levels are doing to their prices. There's one house on the Pedernales outside of Fredericksburg that I'd love to have, even with low water.

Yep, was 90+ deg yesterday, right at freezing tonight.  I used to chat with a guy from Liverpool;  he had just seen "Twister" and wanted to know if you could look up into the eye of a tornado like the woman did in the movie.  I explained to him the movie was full of stupid and untrue things about tornados, then turned around and asked him if he knew The Beatles.  He didn't "get it".

I've wondered why some of the places were for sale, too and came to the conclusion that the water was drying up.  Google Earth has a history feature where you can cycle through all the overhead imagery and comparisons between the years show that to be the case.   I was looking at a lovely place north of Dallas w/ springs, ponds and a large lake and did a little research to find out that the Keystone pipeline alternate route would cut right through the section of land.  I have a suspicion that some of the places in S. Texas might be for sale b/c of the same thing (water), or that illegals traffic through there might be the reason, that or the drug crime and violence.   Many lovely places around Dallas are up for sale, but what with all the drilling going on around there, I'd insist upon the minerals if I was to purchase any property in that area.  I wouldn't mind an oil/gas well in my back yard...as long as it was mine.

- George Orwell

United States
                    Member #116268
                    September 7, 2011
                    20244 Posts
                    Posted: May 3, 2013, 9:52 am - IP Logged

Decatur would be the city for me to retire. Best of luck in the new draws.

5/1/2013. 9:47pm

guuusaa been aadaan yee haaltaa. dawaada been aadaan yee haaltaa. naasa been aadaan yee haaltaa. eeenaaytaa aaaiiiwaa

I have a long lost girlfriend in Decatur, she'd be right about 58 these days. lol.

United States
                      Member #116268
                      September 7, 2011
                      20244 Posts
                      Posted: May 3, 2013, 9:54 am - IP Logged

RN:

PSYKO want's 2 retire where RickG>>>>>>>

"RETIRE">>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

PSYKO may B >crazy>BUT>RickG>WIN'$$$

Hurray!DrumHurray!

IMA BEa AgeeD wit Original Post by  psykomo

I Agree!

United States
                        Member #116268
                        September 7, 2011
                        20244 Posts
                        Posted: May 3, 2013, 9:59 am - IP Logged

Port Moresby, Papua Nuigini...PNG, "Where we tr-eat our Wood Grubs with LOVE and Pride"

Perhaps Centralia US of (best country in the world) A, wound be more FITTING 4 D atheist?

United States
                          Member #116268
                          September 7, 2011
                          20244 Posts
                          Posted: May 3, 2013, 10:33 am - IP Logged

joshuacloak's avatar - Money Swim-uncle-scrooge-mcduck-35997717-677-518.jpg

United States
                            Member #32537
                            February 12, 2006
                            698 Posts
                            Posted: May 3, 2013, 2:26 pm - IP Logged

am thinking someplace in texas with fiber net connect atm

like up in dallas/etc

thro i think i just rent a apartment and live in area, to i can "build" my dream home

as hell am over paying for someone's  junk"overpriced" home, as rule is majority of homes are CHEAP made, sold for lots, hance why there are bubbles in first place.......................

also however u all be wise to live in only handful of states that have no tax's ,

as if u won many millions, u be reinvesting that money to make more  ,   so only no tax states max sense if want to keep your money for your

a lot of rich people left  CA  already  due to tax the rich high rates  and spending to debt levels thinkin the future grandkids can pay for it all

these states are sweet at not being jerks:

• Alaska
                            • Florida
                            • Nevada
                            • South Dakota
                            • Texas
                            • Washington

some states like TN, that dont take income /high CEO pay, but have no issue taking investments  to tax u on, like on dividends, greedy beeps beware of tn, its not a no tax state.

also beware of beware of Hawaii folks

Tax Rate of 11% on Incomes over $200,000

all sun shine and lots of tax , if your poor, its great state thro as they just steal others people money to pay for stuff.Green laugh

combo it with  top rate of the fed govt , u be paying well over 50% of your income to govt,   ya,    u want to support the big govt, u go right ahead and live there

btw there nonething stoping u form having a "vacation home" in any of 50 states, where u Don't live there per say 

but u can stay there for some months tax  free :D

say the home  is under a family trust ownership, or a comany rents a apartment for its "people" to use etc

so onless the "state" can prove U was in state for X number of months all year, they cant tax u 

its how a lot of "billionaires" live in new york,   the tricks they pull to avoid high taxes is  fun reading up on

point is, live where ever, just don't over stay your welcome and pay a price for greedy big  govt state spenders to take your cash

don't be victim of theft.

No bees, no honey.

United States
                              Member #135804
                              November 29, 2012
                              332 Posts
                              Posted: May 3, 2013, 10:48 pm - IP Logged

Santa Barbara, California!