Welcome Guest
You last visited April 26, 2017, 3:53 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

What city will you retire in?

Topic closed. 36 replies. Last post 4 years ago by haymaker.

Page 3 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
ttech10's avatar - blobdude
Texas
United States
Member #92330
June 5, 2010
887 Posts
Posted: May 3, 2013, 11:48 pm - IP Logged

Yep, was 90+ deg yesterday, right at freezing tonight.  I used to chat with a guy from Liverpool;  he had just seen "Twister" and wanted to know if you could look up into the eye of a tornado like the woman did in the movie.  I explained to him the movie was full of stupid and untrue things about tornados, then turned around and asked him if he knew The Beatles.  He didn't "get it".

I've wondered why some of the places were for sale, too and came to the conclusion that the water was drying up.  Google Earth has a history feature where you can cycle through all the overhead imagery and comparisons between the years show that to be the case.   I was looking at a lovely place north of Dallas w/ springs, ponds and a large lake and did a little research to find out that the Keystone pipeline alternate route would cut right through the section of land.  I have a suspicion that some of the places in S. Texas might be for sale b/c of the same thing (water), or that illegals traffic through there might be the reason, that or the drug crime and violence.   Many lovely places around Dallas are up for sale, but what with all the drilling going on around there, I'd insist upon the minerals if I was to purchase any property in that area.  I wouldn't mind an oil/gas well in my back yard...as long as it was mine.

I checked out that history feature. We have a place on the northern part of Lake Brownwood and it's bone dry right now. Looked back 2008 imagery and nice and full.

I'd love to live up around Dallas, I've looked east of there around Lake Tawakoni and Fork. I would love to be able to get out any time I wanted and go for some big catfish.

CDanaT's avatar - tiger avatar_04_hd_pictures_169016.jpg
    TX
    United States
    Member #121193
    January 4, 2012
    1637 Posts
    Posted: May 4, 2013, 9:45 am - IP Logged

Maybe claim home residence(Condo) in Florida(tax purposes) or 2 other states, Cabin out west in Wyoming/Montana....small house up in northern New England

Stay Positive, Believe and good things will come your way

OldSchoolPa's avatar - Lottery-057.jpg
      Gurnee, Illinois
      United States
      Member #49731
      February 12, 2007
      922 Posts
      Posted: May 8, 2013, 4:15 pm - IP Logged

After moving from Illinois to Florida, I would retire to Singapore, and travel the world.

Get MONEY!!! Winning a JACKPOT lottery is all the HOPE and CHANGE I desire!!!  NOW give me MONEY!US Flag

The guy who won the presidency in 2008 really won the lottery...he is now millions richer, travels in first class style, and even has a staff that would be the envy of the richest Powerball winner (she has a staff of 2). Every night he goes to sleep, he probably plays the close of Dave Chappelle's Show: I'm rich beyatch!

msharkey2001's avatar - Trek startrek.gif
        New Hampshire
        United States
        Member #136492
        December 12, 2012
        333 Posts
        Posted: May 9, 2013, 3:24 pm - IP Logged

Thank God I'm a country boy.

You couldn't make me live in a city for nothin', no how, no way.

Too damm many Homo sapiens.

They're everywhere now.

I refuse to live around 'em.

I Agree!

My primary home would be a luxury log cabin in some unincorporated town upstate in the White Mountains. My secondary would be a condo in the historic city of Portsmouth, NH.

CST
          United States
          Member #140593
          March 23, 2013
          26 Posts
          Posted: May 11, 2013, 12:28 pm - IP Logged

At the urging of counsel, I'm not at liberty to say. I will enjoy it though.

luckyshoes's avatar - nw lady.jpg
            Moving West
            United States
            Member #79502
            September 2, 2009
            6530 Posts
            Posted: May 11, 2013, 12:39 pm - IP Logged

I ll winter in Hawaii  but upgrade in my hometown. I kinda want to walk around and hear  people say "Thats the girl that won !"

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
              Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
              United States
              Member #112968
              June 29, 2011
              3910 Posts
              Posted: May 12, 2013, 5:10 pm - IP Logged

No big cities for me, I was in one last thursday

the filth and traffic are unbelieveable,

that's just 2 reasons, 2 many to list here.

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.