Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 11:14 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Will Gift Tax Apply if Someone Else Claims a Ticket?

Topic closed. 31 replies. Last post 4 years ago by Stack47.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
adelaide sa
Australia
Member #37136
April 11, 2006
3300 Posts
Posted: May 8, 2013, 6:34 pm - IP Logged

i have seen families win, and then organize  a claim with everyone  they want to  share  as part of the claiming ticket. this was organised by thir    advisors. to avoid gift taxes. I cant see seperate tickets being  any easier for the tax office to  make a claim against than that setup. sure they had lawyers help.

just write good luck and their name on the back of the ticket.  let the taxman try and prove anything.

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297

Kentucky
    United States
    Member #32652
    February 14, 2006
    7297 Posts
    Posted: May 8, 2013, 8:41 pm - IP Logged

The problem is, I'm not actually buying the tickets for them.  They are just a secondary part of my game & my system that I'm playing.  I'm basically just willing to give them the lesser valued second prize wins should I win the biggie.  If I were actually buying them, like for a gift, and giving them away before they won, I would be far less concerned about how this all plays out.

"The problem is, I'm not actually buying the tickets for them."

If you're planning on giving them the secondary prize winning tickets if you win the jackpot, you are buying those tickets for them based on that condition. It might be as simple as them paying you the cost of the ticket.

What is considered a gift?
    Any transfer to an individual, either directly or indirectly, where full consideration (measured in money or money's worth) is not received in return.

http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small-Businesses-&-Self-Employed/Frequently-Asked-Questions-on-Gift-Taxes#2

PlayToWin47's avatar - Lottery-041.jpg
      Joplin MO
      United States
      Member #138489
      January 28, 2013
      190 Posts
      Posted: May 9, 2013, 9:48 am - IP Logged

If you're planning on giving them the secondary prize winning tickets if you win the jackpot, you are buying those tickets for them based on that condition. It might be as simple as them paying you the cost of the ticket.

Any transfer to an individual, either directly or indirectly, where full consideration (measured in money or money's worth) is not received in return.

http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small-Businesses-&-Self-Employed/Frequently-Asked-Questions-on-Gift-Taxes#2

Hmm ... interesting!

NY
        United States
        Member #23835
        October 16, 2005
        3474 Posts
        Posted: May 9, 2013, 2:07 pm - IP Logged

"you are buying those tickets for them based on that condition."

It's really very simple. He's not buying tickets for them. He freely admits it, and it's the only factual conclusion based on his plans. He's making plans to give large gifts if he has the chance to do so. He doesn't even know which tickets he will be giving as gifts until the drawing is held and he learns what each ticket is worth. The value of the gift will be the value of the tickets at the time the gift is made. Paying for the cost of the ticket is irrelevant, since that isn't full consideration.

Whether or not the IRS will be able to establish what was done is a separate matter.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
          Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
          United States
          Member #73904
          April 28, 2009
          14903 Posts
          Posted: May 9, 2013, 2:31 pm - IP Logged

It's really very simple. He's not buying tickets for them. He freely admits it, and it's the only factual conclusion based on his plans. He's making plans to give large gifts if he has the chance to do so. He doesn't even know which tickets he will be giving as gifts until the drawing is held and he learns what each ticket is worth. The value of the gift will be the value of the tickets at the time the gift is made. Paying for the cost of the ticket is irrelevant, since that isn't full consideration.

Whether or not the IRS will be able to establish what was done is a separate matter.

Welcome back, Jelly Man!

Glad to see you finally come out of hiding!

And don't worry, that post of mine you were avoiding is well buried by now.

Just like always, just as planned.

Joplin MO
            United States
            Member #138489
            January 28, 2013
            190 Posts
            Posted: May 9, 2013, 2:48 pm - IP Logged

Yup ... Correct.

"He doesn't even know which tickets he will be giving as gifts until the drawing is held and he learns what each ticket is worth"

Exactly!

United States
              Member #142348
              May 9, 2013
              25 Posts
              Posted: May 9, 2013, 4:47 pm - IP Logged

I don't think gift tax will be a problem because when your family members claim the prize they will be responsible for paying the taxes on the prize as regular income. The government will get their share.

Kentucky
                United States
                Member #32652
                February 14, 2006
                7297 Posts
                Posted: May 9, 2013, 5:26 pm - IP Logged

This isn't a discussion about scratch-off players who you believe should claim their Free Ticket as gambling winnings on their 1040 or be imprisoned for tax evasion.

"The value of the gift will be the value of the tickets at the time the gift is made."

Tickets cost $1 or $2 but have zero value before they are validated and I'm pretty sure the idea here is to give them the ticket so they can have it validated.

Joplin MO
                  United States
                  Member #138489
                  January 28, 2013
                  190 Posts
                  Posted: May 9, 2013, 6:03 pm - IP Logged

I don't think gift tax will be a problem because when your family members claim the prize they will be responsible for paying the taxes on the prize as regular income. The government will get their share.

I didn't even think about that.  That makes sense!

HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
                    Idaho
                    United States
                    Member #94283
                    July 17, 2010
                    2284 Posts
                    Posted: May 9, 2013, 6:12 pm - IP Logged

But if OP had to claim all the tickets, the guv could double dip.  First OP pays his taxes, then there's an additional 25% due for any gifts he gives over 12K or 13K or whatever it is now.  And I believe that extra 25% is OP's responsibility, not the recipient.

NY
                      United States
                      Member #23835
                      October 16, 2005
                      3474 Posts
                      Posted: May 11, 2013, 1:59 am - IP Logged

This isn't a discussion about scratch-off players who you believe should claim their Free Ticket as gambling winnings on their 1040 or be imprisoned for tax evasion.

"The value of the gift will be the value of the tickets at the time the gift is made."

Tickets cost $1 or $2 but have zero value before they are validated and I'm pretty sure the idea here is to give them the ticket so they can have it validated.

A ticket has value that differs from the selling price the instant it's known to be a winning ticket. Validating it is simply part of the claiming process.

Kentucky
                        United States
                        Member #32652
                        February 14, 2006
                        7297 Posts
                        Posted: May 11, 2013, 9:36 pm - IP Logged

A ticket has value that differs from the selling price the instant it's known to be a winning ticket. Validating it is simply part of the claiming process.

The instant it's known is when it's scanned by a lottery terminal. If you're making an argument that players are responsible to know the value, it took Robert Miles seven years to find out the true value of his lottery ticket.

Joplin MO
                          United States
                          Member #138489
                          January 28, 2013
                          190 Posts
                          Posted: May 13, 2013, 1:58 pm - IP Logged

I may want to resort to the easy option that would avoid all the issues with the gift tax ... Just collect all the money myself and write checks to anyone that I want to give a gift to, making sure nobody gets more than the current excluded limit.

I like things easy!!!

NY
                            United States
                            Member #23835
                            October 16, 2005
                            3474 Posts
                            Posted: May 13, 2013, 2:06 pm - IP Logged

The instant it's known is when it's scanned by a lottery terminal. If you're making an argument that players are responsible to know the value, it took Robert Miles seven years to find out the true value of his lottery ticket.

The instant it has value is the instant a drawing turns it into a winning ticket. Whether the player knows the value or not is irelevant.

You should Google "constructive receipt".

Kentucky
                              United States
                              Member #32652
                              February 14, 2006
                              7297 Posts
                              Posted: May 13, 2013, 5:09 pm - IP Logged

The instant it has value is the instant a drawing turns it into a winning ticket. Whether the player knows the value or not is irelevant.

You should Google "constructive receipt".

What is the value of an unclaimed ticket to the buyer after the expiration point was passed?

"You should Google "constructive receipt"."

I did and it applies to when a person or business receives ownership. In the scenario here, it's an implied ownership the friend or relative will have depending on the circumstances. What is the difference between this implied ownership than a living person's will?

They are buying them lottery tickets in every drawing and expect full compensation for the cost of the ticket when they give them ownership of the ticket.