Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 11:05 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Rich snob neighborhoods vs. the great wide open

Topic closed. 46 replies. Last post 4 years ago by ginmqi.

Page 1 of 4
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #130815
July 25, 2012
1636 Posts
Posted: May 12, 2013, 8:35 am - IP Logged

If I won and I hate to say it but Dave Edwards had the right idea by moving to a neighborhood where his money wouldnt stand out....Now I also like the idea of the great wide open but if someone wanted to plan an attack against you...unless you have a 24/7 private army your screwed... The wealthy who will be snobbish to you may be better they think they are above you and hopefully will leave you alone....but that's just my take how about you?? Which scenario works better for you?

IPlayWeekly's avatar - avatarmoney
    Columbus, Ohio
    United States
    Member #128906
    June 5, 2012
    591 Posts
    Posted: May 12, 2013, 8:46 am - IP Logged

I have no desire to live in a snobby neighborhood... depending on the amount of the win, I'll stay in the same state with a better house, travel and a few toys.

hearsetrax's avatar - 0118

United States
      Member #52345
      May 21, 2007
      2657 Posts
      Posted: May 12, 2013, 9:08 am - IP Logged

I rather find a nice hidey hole in plain sight and lets leave it @ that

sully16's avatar - sharan
        Ringleader
        Michigan
        United States
        Member #81740
        October 28, 2009
        40421 Posts
        Posted: May 12, 2013, 9:16 am - IP Logged

If I won and I hate to say it but Dave Edwards had the right idea by moving to a neighborhood where his money wouldnt stand out....Now I also like the idea of the great wide open but if someone wanted to plan an attack against you...unless you have a 24/7 private army your screwed... The wealthy who will be snobbish to you may be better they think they are above you and hopefully will leave you alone....but that's just my take how about you?? Which scenario works better for you?

Class envy at its finest!

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
          Member #121745
          January 16, 2012
          4788 Posts
          Posted: May 12, 2013, 10:46 am - IP Logged

Class envy at its finest!

I Agree!  I think if one is always worried about how someone will treat them or fitting in, the problem may be with the "worrier."  I am sure the vast majority of the LP people would fit in whereever and I cannot say I ever worried once about "fitting in" in my life. There are "snobby" or rude people at all economic levels and it really comes down to personal choice. If someone dislikes someone, it may have little to nothing to do with money or status.

J'aime La France.

United States
            Member #142348
            May 9, 2013
            25 Posts
            Posted: May 12, 2013, 11:14 am - IP Logged

With this weeks jackpot my answer would be both. I like the entertainment and nightlife and energy of a big city but I also need quiet time. As for labelling a neighborhood as rich snob - how would you know if you haven't lived there. Also if you had serious FU money then what do you care about what your neighbors think. And thirdly, in affluent neighborhoods with large homes I doubt the neighbors spend much time interacting with each other, snobbishness would be a non issue.

whiteballz's avatar - Lottery-015.jpg
              Nutley, New Jersey
              United States
              Member #131058
              August 1, 2012
              875 Posts
              Posted: May 12, 2013, 11:30 am - IP Logged

with MM and PB as high as they are right now, why only have one house? I could see myself living in a gated community with all my expensive toys and then have another house on a large acreage off the grid as a bug-out location.

sully16's avatar - sharan
                Ringleader
                Michigan
                United States
                Member #81740
                October 28, 2009
                40421 Posts
                Posted: May 12, 2013, 12:44 pm - IP Logged

I Agree!  I think if one is always worried about how someone will treat them or fitting in, the problem may be with the "worrier."  I am sure the vast majority of the LP people would fit in whereever and I cannot say I ever worried once about "fitting in" in my life. There are "snobby" or rude people at all economic levels and it really comes down to personal choice. If someone dislikes someone, it may have little to nothing to do with money or status.

very true.

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                  Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                  United States
                  Member #73904
                  April 28, 2009
                  14903 Posts
                  Posted: May 12, 2013, 12:53 pm - IP Logged

"Now I also like the idea of the great wide open but if someone wanted to plan an attack against you...unless you have a 24/7 private army your screwed..."

I almost look forward to it in a way.

Heh,heh,heh,heh,heh...

I pity the fool...

Piaceri's avatar - sarsony1
                    Republic of Texas
                    United States
                    Member #57557
                    January 9, 2008
                    1095 Posts
                    Posted: May 12, 2013, 4:16 pm - IP Logged

Like others said, if you are concerned about what your neighbors think, you are not going to be comfortable anywhere.

One of ZZ Top members lives in the manned gated neighborhood near me, & yes, he sports that beard. While I have not seen him, my coworkers who live here have seen him tooling around in his Maserati. Me? I'm too busy looking at the car to pay attention to the driver. LOL. My point is, do you think this guy cares what his neighbors think of his beard and long hair? I'd say he looks probably a lot like rdg's avatar. 

Short story - my ex and I used to drive down to Nuevo Laredo (back in the days when it was safe) to go to the horse races. We would drive past the public parking around back to the owners' parking. We'd drive right by the guard like we belonged there, and head up to the owners' club. Free dinner, free drinks, bets taken at the table. Act like you belong there, and everyone accepts it.

face

singlewinnersinglewinnersinglewinner   

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
                      Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
                      United States
                      Member #112968
                      June 29, 2011
                      3854 Posts
                      Posted: May 12, 2013, 4:33 pm - IP Logged

Like others said, if you are concerned about what your neighbors think, you are not going to be comfortable anywhere.

One of ZZ Top members lives in the manned gated neighborhood near me, & yes, he sports that beard. While I have not seen him, my coworkers who live here have seen him tooling around in his Maserati. Me? I'm too busy looking at the car to pay attention to the driver. LOL. My point is, do you think this guy cares what his neighbors think of his beard and long hair? I'd say he looks probably a lot like rdg's avatar. 

Short story - my ex and I used to drive down to Nuevo Laredo (back in the days when it was safe) to go to the horse races. We would drive past the public parking around back to the owners' parking. We'd drive right by the guard like we belonged there, and head up to the owners' club. Free dinner, free drinks, bets taken at the table. Act like you belong there, and everyone accepts it.

Must be Dusty Hill or Billy Gibbons, they're the ones w/ beards,

the 3rd guy named Frank Beard, does'nt have one. LOL

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
                        Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
                        United States
                        Member #112968
                        June 29, 2011
                        3854 Posts
                        Posted: May 12, 2013, 4:37 pm - IP Logged

"Now I also like the idea of the great wide open but if someone wanted to plan an attack against you...unless you have a 24/7 private army your screwed..."

I almost look forward to it in a way.

Heh,heh,heh,heh,heh...

I pity the fool...

Sounds like Mr. T.   LOL

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

United States
                          Member #124814
                          March 20, 2012
                          219 Posts
                          Posted: May 12, 2013, 4:41 pm - IP Logged

I'd rather my kids grew up around snobs in the neighborhood than the people I grew up around. And yes, those type of neighborhoods have great security so I would definitely be moving in that type of environment if I won big.

Piaceri's avatar - sarsony1
                            Republic of Texas
                            United States
                            Member #57557
                            January 9, 2008
                            1095 Posts
                            Posted: May 12, 2013, 4:42 pm - IP Logged

Must be Dusty Hill or Billy Gibbons, they're the ones w/ beards,

the 3rd guy named Frank Beard, does'nt have one. LOL

It would defintely be Dusty Hill ... Guitar

face

singlewinnersinglewinnersinglewinner   

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                              Zeta Reticuli Star System
                              United States
                              Member #30470
                              January 17, 2006
                              10350 Posts
                              Posted: May 12, 2013, 6:42 pm - IP Logged

There are plenty of wealthy people who made their fortunes other than via the lottery and they live in various places and do fine.

If you win and are really after safety, a town near where I grew up in Northern Jersey had the safest street in town - three houses in a row that beloinged to the mayor, the local Capo de Capo, and the Chief of Police.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.