Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 10:50 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Rich snob neighborhoods vs. the great wide open

Topic closed. 46 replies. Last post 4 years ago by ginmqi.

Page 2 of 4
PrintE-mailLink
Kentucky
United States
Member #32652
February 14, 2006
7295 Posts
Posted: May 12, 2013, 8:48 pm - IP Logged

If I won and I hate to say it but Dave Edwards had the right idea by moving to a neighborhood where his money wouldnt stand out....Now I also like the idea of the great wide open but if someone wanted to plan an attack against you...unless you have a 24/7 private army your screwed... The wealthy who will be snobbish to you may be better they think they are above you and hopefully will leave you alone....but that's just my take how about you?? Which scenario works better for you?

"but if someone wanted to plan an attack against you"

Forbes lists 1342 billionaires in the world that make their homes much better targets assuming of course the attackers believe all their money is stuffed into mattresses. Why do think people would attack a new neighbor in a high end neighborhood rather than the people living there for years?

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
    Member #121745
    January 16, 2012
    4784 Posts
    Posted: May 12, 2013, 9:16 pm - IP Logged

Forbes lists 1342 billionaires in the world that make their homes much better targets assuming of course the attackers believe all their money is stuffed into mattresses. Why do think people would attack a new neighbor in a high end neighborhood rather than the people living there for years?

lol  But the goblins will get ya... IF ....YA... DON"T...WATCH... OUT.

Once there was a little boy who always laughed and grinned
    and made fun of
    everyone, of all his blood and kin,
    and once when there was company and old
    folks was there,
    he mocked them and he shocked them and said, he didn't
    care.
    And just as he turned on his heels and to go and run and hide,

there was two great big black things a standing by his side.
    They
    snatched him through the ceiling fore he knew what hes about,
    and the
    goblins will get ya if ya don't watch out!!

J'aime La France.

sully16's avatar - sharan
      Ringleader
      Michigan
      United States
      Member #81740
      October 28, 2009
      40299 Posts
      Posted: May 12, 2013, 9:51 pm - IP Logged

Roses are red

Violets are blue

Get a Colt Python

In case someone plans an attack on you!Cheers

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

United States
        Member #106134
        February 13, 2011
        806 Posts
        Posted: May 13, 2013, 12:37 am - IP Logged

Even if I won this massive $350 PB jackpot, I would never spend anything more than $500,000 on a home.  It's likely you wouldn't find yourself in too much of a snooty hood around that price.

Most likely I would rent in a nice apartment complex that has some nice amenities like a pool, spa, nice workout center, garage parking, etc.  Forget paying exorbitant property taxes & if anything breaks, landlord will fix it.

United States
          Member #130815
          July 25, 2012
          1636 Posts
          Posted: May 13, 2013, 9:00 am - IP Logged

They would for the same reason that the ones who dont even know you will ask you for money rather than starting with the 1342 billionaires and ask them...this is America people do stuff because they can and more specifically they think they can get away with it....All walks of life think that way not just the poor and uneducated

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
            Oklahoma
            United States
            Member #82391
            November 12, 2009
            6290 Posts
            Posted: May 13, 2013, 9:42 am - IP Logged

I prefer the great wide open.

I Love Pink & Green 1908

Saint Louis MO
              United States
              Member #110754
              May 11, 2011
              2649 Posts
              Posted: May 13, 2013, 10:32 am - IP Logged

I prefer the great wide open.

I Agree! Been a city girl all my life, time for a change.

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
                adelaide sa
                Australia
                Member #37136
                April 11, 2006
                3300 Posts
                Posted: May 13, 2013, 10:54 am - IP Logged

build my getaway out here

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297

PipSqueek's avatar - winter
                  Ohio
                  United States
                  Member #140280
                  March 15, 2013
                  179 Posts
                  Posted: May 13, 2013, 11:57 am - IP Logged

I think what you like can change.

We bought a house that was out in the country.

It was an acre back off the road so we have a tretorous driveway to contend with.

I liked being out in the middle of nature.

It was like living in a state park with all the trees and wildlife but man is that hard work.

I tried chopping wood. It isn't for the demure.

It took a while to drive places etc.

I didn't like the fuel oil. Natural gas couldn't make it to us because we were past the creek so we had fuel oil.ugh! No city water either and it kills all your appliances and gunks it up even with a water system.

So we did that for 10+ years and after getting older and having only enough energy to do what was needed to be done each day taking care of four kids I said I'm ready for a neighborhood.

We have neighbors quite close. Got randomly lucky with 5 acres of woods behind us which I still can't believe for where we are at. City water yes! Real close to stores another plus. I actually feel safer with people close but then I'm not sitting on a goldmine. 

As far as safety goes though our house was like a little pillbox in the country. No one would come up on it without you knowing, problem is if they did then what?

These days I prefer city living and the snotty neighborhood hasn't bothered me yet.

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
                    Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
                    United States
                    Member #112968
                    June 29, 2011
                    3854 Posts
                    Posted: May 13, 2013, 7:40 pm - IP Logged

There are plenty of wealthy people who made their fortunes other than via the lottery and they live in various places and do fine.

If you win and are really after safety, a town near where I grew up in Northern Jersey had the safest street in town - three houses in a row that beloinged to the mayor, the local Capo de Capo, and the Chief of Police.

CT, that was real convenient for the capo when it came time to make the payoff, he did'nt have to go anywhere. LOL

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                      Zeta Reticuli Star System
                      United States
                      Member #30470
                      January 17, 2006
                      10345 Posts
                      Posted: May 13, 2013, 7:47 pm - IP Logged

You got that right, haymaker!

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

United States
                        Member #128790
                        June 2, 2012
                        5431 Posts
                        Posted: May 13, 2013, 8:00 pm - IP Logged

There are plenty of wealthy people who made their fortunes other than via the lottery and they live in various places and do fine.

If you win and are really after safety, a town near where I grew up in Northern Jersey had the safest street in town - three houses in a row that beloinged to the mayor, the local Capo de Capo, and the Chief of Police.

I respectfully disagree. The safest place to live is across the street from a Prison.  Green laugh

You know the prisoners who break free are making a beeline outta there, in a direction that is diametrically opposed to the Prison. lol

CajunWin4's avatar - Lottery-061.jpg
                          Whiskey Island
                          United States
                          Member #90216
                          April 24, 2010
                          12729 Posts
                          Posted: May 13, 2013, 9:25 pm - IP Logged

I have over 500K Aligator's in my back yard . The best neighbor's you could ever have !! They never come over to borrow anything and they keep away noise neighbor's .

NY
                            United States
                            Member #23835
                            October 16, 2005
                            3474 Posts
                            Posted: May 13, 2013, 11:54 pm - IP Logged

I respectfully disagree. The safest place to live is across the street from a Prison.  Green laugh

You know the prisoners who break free are making a beeline outta there, in a direction that is diametrically opposed to the Prison. lol

In case you're confused, a house across the street from a prison is in a direction that's diametrically opposed to the prison. And if somebody breaks out, they're going to be looking for a change of clothes, at the very least. Unless your house is right next door to a clothing store your house will be the store.

NY
                              United States
                              Member #23835
                              October 16, 2005
                              3474 Posts
                              Posted: May 13, 2013, 11:56 pm - IP Logged

If I won and I hate to say it but Dave Edwards had the right idea by moving to a neighborhood where his money wouldnt stand out....Now I also like the idea of the great wide open but if someone wanted to plan an attack against you...unless you have a 24/7 private army your screwed... The wealthy who will be snobbish to you may be better they think they are above you and hopefully will leave you alone....but that's just my take how about you?? Which scenario works better for you?

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that the thing that made Dave Edwards stand out, regardless of what neighborhood he was in, was Dave Edwards, not his money. I'm also going to guess that if somebody had attacked him, his neighbors weren't going to rush to help. I don't expect they'd be rushing to help you, or anyone else, either.