Welcome Guest
You last visited December 11, 2016, 8:42 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Tip-Whatever you do don't...

Topic closed. 26 replies. Last post 4 years ago by PlayToWin47.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Think's avatar - lightbulb
Marquette, MI
United States
Member #20541
August 20, 2005
705 Posts
Posted: May 16, 2013, 9:57 am - IP Logged

If the tickets in your state are the heat sensitive type then don't get them near any of those alcohol based hand sanitizers.

Why?  It will ruin the tickets.

Ask for a print out of the winning numbers and then smear hand sanitizer on the print out and watch what happens!

I don't know if beer-o-hol or whiskey-o-hol does the same thing

Jani Norman's avatar - fiftyways
    OHIO
    United States
    Member #4164
    March 27, 2004
    14586 Posts
    Posted: May 16, 2013, 10:01 am - IP Logged

If the tickets in your state are the heat sensitive type then don't get them near any of those alcohol based hand sanitizers.

Ask for a print out of the winning numbers and then smear hand sanitizer on the print out and watch what happens!

You would think they would have this warning printed somewhere on them..............Thanks for the heads up

"I am what I am by the grace of God."

Kitfany

http://www.ohiolottery.com/

sully16's avatar - sharan
      Ringleader
      Michigan
      United States
      Member #81740
      October 28, 2009
      40614 Posts
      Posted: May 16, 2013, 11:15 am - IP Logged

Thanks Think, good info.

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

United States
        Member #124814
        March 20, 2012
        219 Posts
        Posted: May 16, 2013, 11:41 am - IP Logged

Funny this just happened to me the other day. I have a big bottle of hand sanitizer in my car to which I use every time I come from a convenience store, and this time I touched my tickets while my hands were still relatively wet. Some of the ink on the numbers got smeared. I wonder if it were the winning ticket would there be a problem?

Jill34786's avatar - Lottery-006.jpg
          Windermere, FL/Franklin, TN
          United States
          Member #50210
          March 1, 2007
          843 Posts
          Posted: May 16, 2013, 11:53 am - IP Logged

Funny this just happened to me the other day. I have a big bottle of hand sanitizer in my car to which I use every time I come from a convenience store, and this time I touched my tickets while my hands were still relatively wet. Some of the ink on the numbers got smeared. I wonder if it were the winning ticket would there be a problem?

If only the drawing numbers were smeared and not the bar code or set of numbers above it you should be fine. The lottery commission verifies the bar code and validation numbers.

It's extremely easy to fraudulently manipulate the 6 winning numbers but the clincher is the validation numbers and bar code at the bottom. Without that in tact or legible you would be out of luck. 

Nonetheless, I wouldn't want to chance it either way.

cbr$'s avatar - maren
            Cordova,Al.
            United States
            Member #104482
            January 15, 2011
            4941 Posts
            Posted: May 16, 2013, 11:59 am - IP Logged

If some of the numbers directly above the scan bar code are smear you will have problems cashing it in. The lottery people can say the ticket has been tampered with and don't pay it .

Jill34786's avatar - Lottery-006.jpg
              Windermere, FL/Franklin, TN
              United States
              Member #50210
              March 1, 2007
              843 Posts
              Posted: May 16, 2013, 12:44 pm - IP Logged

If you want to verify if a certain ticket is indeed a winner, you can call your states lottery office (or whichever state the ticket was purchased) and they will ask you for the set of numbers above the bar code. This is all they need to validate your ticket.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                mid-Ohio
                United States
                Member #9
                March 24, 2001
                19831 Posts
                Posted: May 16, 2013, 1:28 pm - IP Logged

If you want to verify if a certain ticket is indeed a winner, you can call your states lottery office (or whichever state the ticket was purchased) and they will ask you for the set of numbers above the bar code. This is all they need to validate your ticket.

For a jackpot winning ticket, a lot more than that has to be known to verify it.  The store number, terminal number and the time it was printed along with the batch number of the paper it was printed on has to be checked.  There may be even more codes on the ticket which are used to verify it's the winner.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
                  Oklahoma
                  United States
                  Member #82391
                  November 12, 2009
                  6290 Posts
                  Posted: May 16, 2013, 3:48 pm - IP Logged

Thanks ThinkThumbs Up

I Love Pink & Green 1908

PlayToWin47's avatar - Lottery-041.jpg
                    Joplin MO
                    United States
                    Member #138489
                    January 28, 2013
                    190 Posts
                    Posted: May 16, 2013, 7:43 pm - IP Logged

Good info about the tickets, Think!!!  Thanks!!!

Masone, it probably depends on what info is smeared.

Awhile back, one of my tickets that I bought was at the end of the roll.  The clerk should have changed out the roll long before selling to me ... and the ink was kind of messed up around the bar code.  He had no problem taking my money for it, even after I asked if that was going to be a problem.  The following week, when attempting to claim my couple-of-dollars win, their machine wouldn't read the ticket, and a couple numbers were smeared so he couldn't read it to type it in.  He told me that I needed to call the lottery office.  Fine.  In calling them, they said that I could mail it in ... that there were several things they could check to validate it.

I actually went to a couple of other stores, hoping one of their machines would read it, so I wouldn't have to mail it in.  I found one ... must have been a better maintained machine!

That dude was new ... he had a bad attitude about this ... and had an attitude the previous week because I held up the line while checking that my tickets were run correctly (that I had all my tickets, and none were run twice).  Because of him, I stopped buying my tickets there!

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                      Zeta Reticuli Star System
                      United States
                      Member #30470
                      January 17, 2006
                      10356 Posts
                      Posted: May 17, 2013, 1:44 am - IP Logged

Thanks for the heads up, Think.

Right now on the Dicussion page this thread looks like this:

Tip-Whatever you do don't...Think

Just thought that funny. 

Another tip on the hand sanitizers, last year a study at Univ. of California found that using them opened up your pores and doing so would expose you to more germs than not using them!

Scared

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

United States
                        Member #124814
                        March 20, 2012
                        219 Posts
                        Posted: May 17, 2013, 2:55 am - IP Logged

Just thought that funny. 

Another tip on the hand sanitizers, last year a study at Univ. of California found that using them opened up your pores and doing so would expose you to more germs than not using them!

Scared

Maybe it's a sign for winning the lotto. Don't think when picking the numbers, and you'll win.

ttech10's avatar - blobdude
                          Texas
                          United States
                          Member #92330
                          June 5, 2010
                          887 Posts
                          Posted: May 17, 2013, 3:06 am - IP Logged

Wasn't there an issue a while back where a guy had his ticket somewhat ruined by trying to make a photocopy of it? I remember reading that and the first thing I did was put an old loser ticket in my scanner to make sure I could make a copy of a winning one without ruining it.

Thankfully tickets here seem pretty durable.

Think's avatar - lightbulb
                            Marquette, MI
                            United States
                            Member #20541
                            August 20, 2005
                            705 Posts
                            Posted: May 20, 2013, 10:15 pm - IP Logged

Just thought that funny. 

Scared

Hahahahhehehe!

Did you get any more info on that study?  Like who sponsored it?  Was it all hand sanitizers or just the alcohol based ones?

If they do really expose you to more germs then why don't more hospital workers get sick all the time?

Always use common sense and ask questions before you go parroting "study" results...or at least link to the "study" so we can decide for ourselves.

redhot7's avatar - SetforLifeLogo
                              California
                              United States
                              Member #112364
                              June 17, 2011
                              661 Posts
                              Posted: May 21, 2013, 12:28 am - IP Logged

Wasn't there an issue a while back where a guy had his ticket somewhat ruined by trying to make a photocopy of it? I remember reading that and the first thing I did was put an old loser ticket in my scanner to make sure I could make a copy of a winning one without ruining it.

Thankfully tickets here seem pretty durable.

How did it happen? How did photocopying the ticket ruin it?