Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 8:36 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Anyone wonder how much money they would have if they hadn't played the lottery?

Topic closed. 30 replies. Last post 4 years ago by savagegoose.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #122468
February 1, 2012
530 Posts
Posted: May 28, 2013, 1:51 pm - IP Logged

Hello,

The other day I was thinking how much money I ended up throwing out by having played the lottery over these past 3 years. I've never truly counted what I spent when I played but it would be great to have that money back. The last few months I've cut way down on playing (though I wasn't addicted or anything like that). It feels good to be able to go weeks or more without playing and know that I haven't thrown out my money to end up losing like I usually do. Don't get me wrong I'm not giving up on playing but wishing I had the money that I had spent on playing the lottery.  I'm started to feel like the odds will continue to be impossible and hope that I can continue to be more wise with what little money I do have. It's a nice feeling to be able to go to the grocery store and just leave and not feel the need to buy a scratch or draw ticket.  Though it would be fantastic to win the odds are just stacked so impossibly against most of us winning.

London
    United Kingdom
    Member #140684
    March 24, 2013
    566 Posts
    Posted: May 28, 2013, 2:09 pm - IP Logged

Smart move cutting back, it's what I do pretty much. I only buy for big draws on the EuroMillions and when it's won I don't buy till the Jackpot is big again. I don't buy scratch tickets ever and never any other draw games. I just like the feeling of knowing I may be a millionaire for those few moments ;p

2016 Won/Lost

EuroMillions / Spent: £22 / Won £0 / Total -£22

UK Lotto / Spent: £4 / Won: £0 / Total: -£4

2016 Total: -£24

Jan: -£22 Feb: £0 ~ Mar: £0 ~ April: £0 ~ May: £0 ~ June: £0 ~ July: £2

EuroMillions = £2 Line / Played: x11 [old price] 

EuroMillions = £2.50 Line / Played: x0

UK Lotto = £2 Line / Played x2

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
      mid-Ohio
      United States
      Member #9
      March 24, 2001
      19816 Posts
      Posted: May 28, 2013, 2:12 pm - IP Logged

For the last few years I've tracked what I've spent and won playing lotteries so I know. 

I also know how much I've saved by not having cable TV or high speed Internet, but I wonder when others talk about how much they enjoy those services what I've missed. 

Maybe I would feel the same about lotteries when I read about others winning big lottery jackpots if I didn't play.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

London
        United Kingdom
        Member #140684
        March 24, 2013
        566 Posts
        Posted: May 28, 2013, 2:19 pm - IP Logged

Yea I also just looked at all my bills and pretty much cut them in half. Amazing what you can save my not having those few extra channels on cable TV and asking your different companies for a better plan

2016 Won/Lost

EuroMillions / Spent: £22 / Won £0 / Total -£22

UK Lotto / Spent: £4 / Won: £0 / Total: -£4

2016 Total: -£24

Jan: -£22 Feb: £0 ~ Mar: £0 ~ April: £0 ~ May: £0 ~ June: £0 ~ July: £2

EuroMillions = £2 Line / Played: x11 [old price] 

EuroMillions = £2.50 Line / Played: x0

UK Lotto = £2 Line / Played x2

United States
          Member #130815
          July 25, 2012
          1636 Posts
          Posted: May 28, 2013, 2:57 pm - IP Logged

not enough  to even  matter im afraid  LOL

whiteballz's avatar - Lottery-015.jpg
            Nutley, New Jersey
            United States
            Member #131058
            August 1, 2012
            875 Posts
            Posted: May 28, 2013, 3:49 pm - IP Logged

no. I don't think about the money I've spent on the lottery at all or have any second thoughts.

People like different things, some people like to smoke and spend their money on cigarettes. Some people like to drink and spend their money on alcohol. Some people like to go to the movie theater and spend $10 on a movie ticket. I personally don't like doing any of those things.

I buy lottery tickets because I like playing the lottery and having a small chance of becoming a millionaire and dreaming about what I'd do if I ever won the jackpot.

I spend only what I am comfortable with losing. When I win a few dollars here and there it is a bonus for me. After that, I don't give it a second thought.

sookie's avatar - nw femalewiz.jpg

United States
              Member #142686
              May 17, 2013
              94 Posts
              Posted: May 28, 2013, 4:24 pm - IP Logged

I spend about $320 a year for Powerball and Megamillions.  About $25 a month.  For me its not a waste because dinner out would be that much anyway and $25 can go fast.  And I win $2 or $3 every once in awhile maybe once a month so its all good.  When I hit the big jackpot one day it will all be worth it definitely  :)

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
                Member #121745
                January 16, 2012
                4783 Posts
                Posted: May 28, 2013, 6:15 pm - IP Logged

I only play what I won't miss or regret. I gave up starbucks and that more than covers my playing. And drinking a cup of tea is bettter in the afternoon vs a 2nd cup of coffee. If you have regrets, then you are spending too much.

J'aime La France.

PlayToWin47's avatar - Lottery-041.jpg
                  Joplin MO
                  United States
                  Member #138489
                  January 28, 2013
                  190 Posts
                  Posted: May 28, 2013, 9:14 pm - IP Logged

I've been playing regularly for over two decades.  If I could get back what I've spent, that alone would be a small jackpot!!!

United States
                    Member #128790
                    June 2, 2012
                    5431 Posts
                    Posted: May 28, 2013, 10:48 pm - IP Logged

Hello,

The other day I was thinking how much money I ended up throwing out by having played the lottery over these past 3 years. I've never truly counted what I spent when I played but it would be great to have that money back. The last few months I've cut way down on playing (though I wasn't addicted or anything like that). It feels good to be able to go weeks or more without playing and know that I haven't thrown out my money to end up losing like I usually do. Don't get me wrong I'm not giving up on playing but wishing I had the money that I had spent on playing the lottery.  I'm started to feel like the odds will continue to be impossible and hope that I can continue to be more wise with what little money I do have. It's a nice feeling to be able to go to the grocery store and just leave and not feel the need to buy a scratch or draw ticket.  Though it would be fantastic to win the odds are just stacked so impossibly against most of us winning.

I'm hoping more people will heed my signature and focus more on smaller games. Once I conquer the smaller games that have easier odds, I can then move up to more difficult games. For some strange reason most people have a hard time grasping this. High hopes against unbelievable odds. Positive thinking is one thing, but reality is reality.

You really do have to crawl before you walk. Unless someone who's got it all figured out clues you in.

Lucky Loser's avatar - bucks
                      Texas
                      United States
                      Member #86154
                      January 30, 2010
                      1648 Posts
                      Posted: May 30, 2013, 3:43 pm - IP Logged

Hello,

Thrifty's current thread on page (1) has the utmost in merit. As I said in my reply there, just to actually save that same amount of money consistently would do amazing things for one's income...and it's all legit and fact-based just like Thrifty's opposite with spending it. At least you're a realist and I have nothing but pure respect for you regarding your analysis...it's the beginning of wisdom. Also, you're absolutely right, the odds will never change as long as the amount of numbers contained doesn't change.

Being able to walk out of any store without buying a ticket is called DISCIPLINE and there's nothing wrong with it. Don't feel like you would've won had you played either...it's a gult trip your mind plays on you based on pure hope and circumstances. Take your time and play when you feel really good, and, preferrably when lots of other good things are happening with you.

This is how you manifest such astronomical things into your life. I've always admired your reasoning, shyguitar.

L.L.

Small games, frequent wins, and regular payouts 'cause.....

There are seven days in the week...'Someday' isn't one of them.

#lotto-4-a-living

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                        mid-Ohio
                        United States
                        Member #9
                        March 24, 2001
                        19816 Posts
                        Posted: May 30, 2013, 4:01 pm - IP Logged

I'm hoping more people will heed my signature and focus more on smaller games. Once I conquer the smaller games that have easier odds, I can then move up to more difficult games. For some strange reason most people have a hard time grasping this. High hopes against unbelievable odds. Positive thinking is one thing, but reality is reality.

You really do have to crawl before you walk. Unless someone who's got it all figured out clues you in.

States are hoping more people play lotteries and they know big jackpots attract more players.  The smaller games that pay $50 -$10000 top prize attract thousands of players but million dollars jackpots attract millions of players.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Texas
                          United States
                          Member #86154
                          January 30, 2010
                          1648 Posts
                          Posted: May 30, 2013, 4:16 pm - IP Logged

All I can do here is applaude you, Sir. Your every sentence is spot on...especially the 4th and 5th ones. None of the current, previous, or future winners have it figured out. If it happens, that person is extremely lucky, fortunate, blessed, right place at the right time, etc. etc.

When skill is involved, a certain amount of numbers will be matched consistently via correct math, combinations, and application. Even (3) numbers is like trying to count every single piece of grass in a 12" x 12" patch of grass. Not impossible, but try it some time.

L.L.

#lotto-4-a-living

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
                            Bay Area - California
                            United States
                            Member #136477
                            December 12, 2012
                            4102 Posts
                            Posted: May 30, 2013, 4:45 pm - IP Logged

Do you question how much you spent on your babe before you two broke up? Apply the same question here. Think about the heat, the passion- works for both situations.

If you have regrets you have lost your Soul.

Texas
                              United States
                              Member #86154
                              January 30, 2010
                              1648 Posts
                              Posted: May 30, 2013, 7:02 pm - IP Logged

Do you question how much you spent on your babe before you two broke up? Apply the same question here. Think about the heat, the passion- works for both situations.

If you have regrets you have lost your Soul.

Well, that's not a fair comparison. At least with a girlfriend and relationship, you're receiving love and affections in return for the same thing. Monetary expenses on her are a gesture of caring and desire to please her.

The lottery only loves to take and doesn't give...loves your money. It could care less if you break up with it because it always has many others to pull your weight.

Comparing expenses on the lottery to expenses on an apparently once meaningful relationship...that's pretty deep.

L.L.

#lotto-4-a-living