Welcome Guest
You last visited January 23, 2017, 9:37 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

If and when you win the JP: Would you be open to " advice" from the likes of...

Topic closed. 32 replies. Last post 4 years ago by Teddi.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #116268
September 7, 2011
20244 Posts
Posted: June 5, 2013, 11:09 am - IP Logged

Point Taken Coin Toss- however l was watching this piece on YouTube featuring Kali Muscle and he goes into saying how he wasted precious time in prison when he could have been doing positive things. He now visits prisons and homes for troubled teens and lectures on " what not to do". It's pretty impressive.
I would post the link but the language he uses is not PG.
With that in mind l made the connection on " what not to do" with these guys. They have first hand experience.

The guy sounds like a complete idiot.

Teddi's avatar - Lottery-008.jpg

United States
    Member #142499
    May 13, 2013
    1200 Posts
    Posted: June 5, 2013, 11:47 am - IP Logged

Funny you should say that Yoho- people who are alcoholics and seek to clean up their lives will go to AA meetings and listen to people who have " a story to tell" and these folk will go on for what seems like ages, telling it like it is, and people would sit there and soak it all in because they too are in the same boat.Yet when it comes to the lottery and money, everyone seems to know it all, they wont do this, they wont do that once they have those Benjamin's in hand- everyone is an expert, well why not listen to these " experts" on not what to do? 

Pointless saying " l have heard it all".. no you have'nt because you have not been a Millionaire for one- and two, you have not lost bigtime.

I wouldn't front and pretend I know what to do (I know the basics) I would absolutely take the advice from those in the know, i.e. financial advisors/accountants/lawyers.  All JP winners are targeted by the IRS. So I plan on doing everything by the book. No funny business. 

But in the case of David and Jack, that's a different story. Not because I'm not interested in what they have to say, but because we know what they did and I don't think we'd ever follow in their footsteps. It isn't a case of not knowing their story.  We know their story and it's a cautionary tale of what never to do. 

If you're stupid enough to keep large sums of cash in an unlocked vehicle while at a strip club, then you shouldn't be surprised when you get robbed. If you're dumb enough to do it twice, you can't go crying that the lottery cursed you. If someone in your family has a drug problem, you send them to rehab, you don't put them on a $2000/week allowance. Either common sense or an episode of Intervention should tell you that's an OD waiting to happen. 

Edwards hired a financial advisor and then proceeded to ignore everything the man told him to do. In fact, sometimes it seemed he would buy things just to annoy the advisor. The advisor told him to invest X amount and live off the interest. He ignored that. The advisor told him to ease up on his spending because he'd run through too much money in a short space of time. He ignored that. And then came the relapse into drug use that took the rest. 

As far as I can tell, Jack's only advice to anyone who will listen right now is to not play the lottery because it' a curse. So no, I'm not listening to Jack. Bad decision making doesn't equal curse. But at least he's acted as a type of prophylactic. Everything not to do if you win millions.

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
      Bay Area - California
      United States
      Member #136477
      December 12, 2012
      4146 Posts
      Posted: June 5, 2013, 11:49 am - IP Logged

The guy sounds like a complete idiot.

He says pretty much the same thing,  but at least he is maning up to his stupidity as a youth. You should check out his story on YouTube- the guy is huge in a muscular sense,  l bet if he sat on your chest it would cave in Ronnie.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
        mid-Ohio
        United States
        Member #9
        March 24, 2001
        19903 Posts
        Posted: June 5, 2013, 12:04 pm - IP Logged

i think anyone over the age 55 will need financial advice after winning the lottery because those that are in that age group tend to be blowing their money frivolously.

Those over the age of 55 can afford to spend the money frivolously because it doesn't have to last as long.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

United States
          Member #116268
          September 7, 2011
          20244 Posts
          Posted: June 5, 2013, 12:07 pm - IP Logged

Those over the age of 55 can afford to spend the money frivolously because it doesn't have to last as long.

Thank you. Now your talkin my languageYes Nod LOL

United States
            Member #116268
            September 7, 2011
            20244 Posts
            Posted: June 5, 2013, 12:10 pm - IP Logged

He says pretty much the same thing,  but at least he is maning up to his stupidity as a youth. You should check out his story on YouTube- the guy is huge in a muscular sense,  l bet if he sat on your chest it would cave in Ronnie.

That could be, but if his YouTube is not family friendly he still has a lot to learn.

United States
              Member #116268
              September 7, 2011
              20244 Posts
              Posted: June 5, 2013, 12:11 pm - IP Logged

Perhaps he could become a shock jock on paid radio?

MADDOG10's avatar - smoke
                Beautiful Florida
                United States
                Member #5709
                July 18, 2004
                20246 Posts
                Posted: June 5, 2013, 12:15 pm - IP Logged

Perhaps he could become a shock jock on paid radio?

Maybe he'll fit in with Stern and Company...!

" You can not control the Wind, but you can direct the Sail "

United States
                  Member #116268
                  September 7, 2011
                  20244 Posts
                  Posted: June 5, 2013, 12:16 pm - IP Logged

Maybe he'll fit in with Stern and Company...!

LOL

Teddi's avatar - Lottery-008.jpg

United States
                    Member #142499
                    May 13, 2013
                    1200 Posts
                    Posted: June 5, 2013, 12:25 pm - IP Logged

Whittaker and Edwards. On how & what " Not to"..

I'll be taking the best financial advice from one of my favorite movies...Fargo. 

Remember Stan Grossman? The financial advisor  for Jerry's father-in-law? When Jerry went to the FIL for money for a business proposition and the FIL said show it to Stan, Jerry said "Well,  you know  Stan'll say no dice.  That's why  you pay him" 

That right there is the best piece of advice for someone with money. I heard a lottery winner say the same thing too.

Everyone and their brother is going to be coming to you with investment ideas and for money to help them start a business. It's worse for lottery winners because they didn't earn the money so people have a perception of since you didn't earn it, so you should have less of an issue giving it up. 

So you need a buffer. Your own Stan Grossman. Someone whose job it is to say no to all the hairbrained schemes that will be floating your way from family and friends.  They won't hate you nearly as much if the no is from someone else. 

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
                      Oklahoma
                      United States
                      Member #82391
                      November 12, 2009
                      6305 Posts
                      Posted: June 5, 2013, 12:59 pm - IP Logged

Nope I wouldn't.

I Love Pink & Green 1908

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
                        Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
                        United States
                        Member #112968
                        June 29, 2011
                        3857 Posts
                        Posted: June 5, 2013, 1:06 pm - IP Logged

Great minds think alike.

Thumbs Up

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
                          Bay Area - California
                          United States
                          Member #136477
                          December 12, 2012
                          4146 Posts
                          Posted: June 5, 2013, 1:16 pm - IP Logged

I Agree!

Well Said RJOH- your other line in response to someone complaining about Texas contributing Millions for years to PB and only having ONE  winner was Classic. There is no substitute for wit...at times.

United States
                            Member #130815
                            July 25, 2012
                            1636 Posts
                            Posted: June 5, 2013, 3:26 pm - IP Logged

I'll be taking the best financial advice from one of my favorite movies...Fargo. 

Remember Stan Grossman? The financial advisor  for Jerry's father-in-law? When Jerry went to the FIL for money for a business proposition and the FIL said show it to Stan, Jerry said "Well,  you know  Stan'll say no dice.  That's why  you pay him" 

That right there is the best piece of advice for someone with money. I heard a lottery winner say the same thing too.

Everyone and their brother is going to be coming to you with investment ideas and for money to help them start a business. It's worse for lottery winners because they didn't earn the money so people have a perception of since you didn't earn it, so you should have less of an issue giving it up. 

So you need a buffer. Your own Stan Grossman. Someone whose job it is to say no to all the hairbrained schemes that will be floating your way from family and friends.  They won't hate you nearly as much if the no is from someone else. 

Yeah I remember that movie...but the guy who had the Stan Grossman guy....still got killed

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                              Zeta Reticuli Star System
                              United States
                              Member #30470
                              January 17, 2006
                              10392 Posts
                              Posted: June 5, 2013, 5:45 pm - IP Logged

noise-gate,

Whitaker did make some huge donations to a couple of churches but that aside I don't think we could call him or Edwards altruists. That considered, if a jackpot winner went to them for advice maybe human natruee would kick in and they'd intentionally give very bad advice, the mindset being they blew theirs so let's make this winner blow theirs.

helpmewin,

Re: the over 55 set, they're not the ones I see on the TLC lottery programs buying dozens of cars and such. Many grey areas here but I think the older winners are the less they are out to impress others.

Just consider some of the 'freanzy' threads here on LP when a jackpot is up and people post pictures of really high end cars and mansions, to be bought of course with money they haven't won. Consider who is posting what.

Older people are more likely to realize that material things don't bring happiness or only fleeting happiness. What they really bring is simply the desire for more material things.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.