Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 3:37 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

How soon would you bench Thrift Stores & Wal-Marts if you won the lottery?

Topic closed. 27 replies. Last post 3 years ago by Saylorgirl.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
Bay Area - California
United States
Member #136477
December 12, 2012
4108 Posts
Posted: June 13, 2013, 7:33 pm - IP Logged

That is" if" you visit those stores occasionally? With your new earned wealth: would they be a thing of the past or would you troll the aisles of such establishments to not arouse suspicion as to your true worth?

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
    Member #121745
    January 16, 2012
    4791 Posts
    Posted: June 13, 2013, 7:52 pm - IP Logged

That is" if" you visit those stores occasionally? With your new earned wealth: would they be a thing of the past or would you troll the aisles of such establishments to not arouse suspicion as to your true worth?

I am always looking for a hidden treasure at these stores. There is this kind of high end Salvation army in my area and they have a special room of ceramics and glass and old books and collectibles. Amazing stuff. And I always check out the paintings looking for that Picasso.  I would never give up my 2-3 visits a year here. It is an adventure. And most of the people visiting this store are at least middle class and well employed (most of the cars are not cheap). A bargain is a bargain.

J'aime La France.

Saint Louis MO
      United States
      Member #110754
      May 11, 2011
      2649 Posts
      Posted: June 13, 2013, 8:11 pm - IP Logged

Like Artist77, I would definitely continue to shop at the high end thrift stores.  I get pure satisfaction knowing I'm not paying retail for some things, makes my day.

Remember to flip 6's 9's, mirror front and end #'s, and do front/back3 for a hit!

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
        Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
        United States
        Member #112968
        June 29, 2011
        3854 Posts
        Posted: June 13, 2013, 8:20 pm - IP Logged

Like Artist77, I would definitely continue to shop at the high end thrift stores.  I get pure satisfaction knowing I'm not paying retail for some things, makes my day.

I Agree!  Just bought some automotive equipment on eBay for even less then I seen it for on amazon,

not talkin chumpin change either, difference was $70.

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

Saint Louis MO
          United States
          Member #110754
          May 11, 2011
          2649 Posts
          Posted: June 13, 2013, 8:34 pm - IP Logged

I Agree!  Just bought some automotive equipment on eBay for even less then I seen it for on amazon,

not talkin chumpin change either, difference was $70.

Haymaker I love, love, love eBay.  If the shipping price is not astronomical you can't go wrong with eBay. I would never let that habit go. lol

Remember to flip 6's 9's, mirror front and end #'s, and do front/back3 for a hit!

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
            Bay Area - California
            United States
            Member #136477
            December 12, 2012
            4108 Posts
            Posted: June 13, 2013, 10:24 pm - IP Logged

Haymaker I love, love, love eBay.  If the shipping price is not astronomical you can't go wrong with eBay. I would never let that habit go. lol

Ebay is where its at, but one has to check the " shipping" charges first- those puppies can put a hurt on the total price.

dager's avatar - vampireteeth100x98
              New Orleans
              United States
              Member #143282
              May 29, 2013
              36 Posts
              Posted: June 14, 2013, 11:31 am - IP Logged

I love thrift store shopping, flea markets, eBay... Wal-Mart not so much.

I don't know about other Wal-Marts since it isn't usually on my places to visit when I'm traveling but the ones here are unkept, dirty, and have cheaply made products that rarely last.  I've also noticed quite a few expired products in the grocery section left on the shelf.

Sometimes you can find some really neat antiques at certain thrift stores though.

Teddi's avatar - Lottery-008.jpg

United States
                Member #142499
                May 13, 2013
                1183 Posts
                Posted: June 14, 2013, 2:52 pm - IP Logged

I am always looking for a hidden treasure at these stores. There is this kind of high end Salvation army in my area and they have a special room of ceramics and glass and old books and collectibles. Amazing stuff. And I always check out the paintings looking for that Picasso.  I would never give up my 2-3 visits a year here. It is an adventure. And most of the people visiting this store are at least middle class and well employed (most of the cars are not cheap). A bargain is a bargain.

I've never been to a thrift store, but I imagine I doubt I can find stuff there I can't find on eBay, Etsy, Artfire or Ruby Lane. All without ever having to leave the house.

However, if price was no option, then it will always boil down to convenience. I am almost always more willing to pay more for convenience than pay less and be inconvenienced. Which store is closest, which is less trafficky, can I get the item delivered instead.

And besides, Walmart isn't always cheapest. With Amazon Prime, many times Amazon will have something on sale which comes in at far below Walmart prices, and in 1 click, the next day or the day after it's at my door. Can't beat that. Not to mention Costco, between the quality of their items, no questions asked returns, and bargain basement prices on prescriptions, I'd rather be inconvenienced at Costco than inconveniencd at Walmart. I would definitely still shop at Costco if I won the lottery.

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
                  u$a
                  United States
                  Member #106665
                  February 22, 2011
                  19797 Posts
                  Posted: June 14, 2013, 3:03 pm - IP Logged

I've never been to a thrift store, but I imagine I doubt I can find stuff there I can't find on eBay, Etsy, Artfire or Ruby Lane. All without ever having to leave the house.

However, if price was no option, then it will always boil down to convenience. I am almost always more willing to pay more for convenience than pay less and be inconvenienced. Which store is closest, which is less trafficky, can I get the item delivered instead.

And besides, Walmart isn't always cheapest. With Amazon Prime, many times Amazon will have something on sale which comes in at far below Walmart prices, and in 1 click, the next day or the day after it's at my door. Can't beat that. Not to mention Costco, between the quality of their items, no questions asked returns, and bargain basement prices on prescriptions, I'd rather be inconvenienced at Costco than inconveniencd at Walmart. I would definitely still shop at Costco if I won the lottery.

I Agree! I never been to a thrift store, Walmart yesSmash but not for food

i like to order off line alsoBanana

#1. Convenience

because i am never home always working no time to shop at the stores

i know my stuff will be waiting on me Dance@ my door

Let it Snow Snowman

Teddi's avatar - Lottery-008.jpg

United States
                    Member #142499
                    May 13, 2013
                    1183 Posts
                    Posted: June 14, 2013, 3:05 pm - IP Logged

I love thrift store shopping, flea markets, eBay... Wal-Mart not so much.

I don't know about other Wal-Marts since it isn't usually on my places to visit when I'm traveling but the ones here are unkept, dirty, and have cheaply made products that rarely last.  I've also noticed quite a few expired products in the grocery section left on the shelf.

Sometimes you can find some really neat antiques at certain thrift stores though.

It depends on the Walmart. In the same city a few miles apart you can have a huge, very brightly lit, very clean, very tidy, very orderly Walmart and a few miles down the road you can have the dark, dingy, dirty Walmart. 

I found the same to be true with Kroger and Winn Dixie. Some chains are just like that. 

But yeah, some things you need to go up a notch and get from Target or Burlington instead. Costs are lower but so is material and workmanship.

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
                      Oklahoma
                      United States
                      Member #82391
                      November 12, 2009
                      6290 Posts
                      Posted: June 14, 2013, 4:03 pm - IP Logged

I Love Target (Tarjee)Wink

I Love Pink & Green 1908

Artist77's avatar - batman14

United States
                        Member #121745
                        January 16, 2012
                        4791 Posts
                        Posted: June 14, 2013, 6:16 pm - IP Logged

I Love Target (Tarjee)Wink

Me too. I have so many bedspreads and comforters from there that I could open a B&B. All of their products are so well designed. I have an orange handbag from there and I swear that more than 10 people this week told me how much they like it. When my first book came out, all I cared was that Target carried it  and they picked it up after a couple of months (I did not care about all the other places that sell it...lol). To me that was the biggest thrill. Still is!

J'aime La France.

ttech10's avatar - blobdude
                          Texas
                          United States
                          Member #92330
                          June 5, 2010
                          887 Posts
                          Posted: June 14, 2013, 6:51 pm - IP Logged

I wouldn't stop shopping anywhere I shop at now.

I would actually likely start shopping at thrift stores as sort of a hobby, going around the state sort of as a road trip, fishing trip and to also see what cool things I could find in smaller town shops.

United States
                            Member #130815
                            July 25, 2012
                            1636 Posts
                            Posted: June 14, 2013, 7:12 pm - IP Logged

Nah Im a Walmart junkie...can't give it up LOL

dager's avatar - vampireteeth100x98
                              New Orleans
                              United States
                              Member #143282
                              May 29, 2013
                              36 Posts
                              Posted: June 15, 2013, 11:48 am - IP Logged

I actually stopped in at the Wal-Mart by my father's house last night which is in a different City (he really lives in  the burbs but they're incorporated so they get the city title) and it actually was pretty clean. I hadn't ever stopped in the store close to his house, and was impressed with how nice it was.

I've noticed that with Winn Dixie.  All of the ones in the city I live in are pretty dingy, but once you get to the suburbs they’re not so bad.