Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 12:55 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

How soon would you bench Thrift Stores & Wal-Marts if you won the lottery?

Topic closed. 27 replies. Last post 3 years ago by Saylorgirl.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Lucky Loser's avatar - bucks
Texas
United States
Member #86154
January 30, 2010
1649 Posts
Posted: June 15, 2013, 3:13 pm - IP Logged

I wouldn't stop at all. Just because I'd have more money to spend on clothes and other things doesn't mean I need to change suppliers...especially if I'm already happy with what I'm getting there. Wal-Mart carries lots of quality, name brand products and they're not all cheap either. As another poster already said, you can visit those branches located in more upscale parts of town, and they actually carry different and better lines of products than those in less desirable locations.

In my opinion, this is how people tend to end up broke. They want to spend more money on the same, or, reasonably equivalent things. Granted, it's cool to pick up a nice pair of boots, jeans, shoes, or jazzy shirts from time to time at high end retailers. But, to do it all the time makes no sense...to me at least. I'd rather hit Marshall's and Ross where you get the same brands for less. Let's see, (5) pairs of good jeans for $125 or (1) pair of jeans for $125?

It's a matter of opinion, attitude, and maturity I believe. Some folks want people to know they now have money by what they wear and the cost of it which is perfectly fine. But, when it presents new problems with those same folks asking for money all the time because they see their friend wearing a $100 shirt, $150 jeans, $150 shoes, $75 belt, and those bad a** Oakleys at $200. 

Now, add those items up and ask yourself how often you'd be willing to part with that kind of coin just to go shopping. It'll tell you how long you'll have your new found wealth...

L.L.

Small games, frequent wins, and regular payouts 'cause.....

There are seven days in the week...'Someday' isn't one of them.

#lotto-4-a-living

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
    Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
    United States
    Member #73904
    April 28, 2009
    14903 Posts
    Posted: June 15, 2013, 11:47 pm - IP Logged

Walmart's cheaply made, Made in China products are for people who have never known any better.

You get exactly what you pay for.

I know I could get 4 or 5 pairs of boots from Walmart for what I pay for a pair of Redwings. But my Redwings will last longer than those 4 or 5 pairs of Made in China boots combined. And they'll fit better and be way more comfortable too.

I won't buy cheap junk.

Just won't do it.

Anybody who says you can get the same quality at Walmart just doesn't know any better or is really just a cheapskate.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

United States
      Member #124493
      March 14, 2012
      7023 Posts
      Posted: June 16, 2013, 2:51 am - IP Logged

That is" if" you visit those stores occasionally? With your new earned wealth: would they be a thing of the past or would you troll the aisles of such establishments to not arouse suspicion as to your true worth?

You sound like a snob.  Do you like your house in beverly hills?  Will you pray to your god allah when your house slides down the hill in the next earthquake?

Slick Nick's avatar - Lottery-035.jpg
        Rochester
        United States
        Member #103282
        January 1, 2011
        603 Posts
        Posted: June 16, 2013, 5:54 am - IP Logged

I like those type of stores so I would continue to go to them!Party

Money is a terrible master, but a great servant...Smile

buttercake's avatar - Lottery-029.jpg

United Kingdom
          Member #70550
          February 5, 2009
          120 Posts
          Posted: June 16, 2013, 7:53 am - IP Logged

Over here in the UK we have asda which is owned by wal mart so I would still shop in asda and other shops like the 99p store, pound world, pound shop, pound stretcher and so on regardless of my wealth, why should I spend more for the same thing or things, I can get cheaper elsewhere.

RedStang's avatar - tallman zps6gf4inoc.jpg
            NY
            United States
            Member #121961
            January 21, 2012
            3157 Posts
            Posted: June 16, 2013, 3:46 pm - IP Logged

I would'nt stop going to the Dollar Tree. I'm amazed at what they have and don't see how a can of corn could be better somewhere else. They even had redneck Dukes Mayo.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
              Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
              United States
              Member #73904
              April 28, 2009
              14903 Posts
              Posted: June 16, 2013, 7:12 pm - IP Logged

I would'nt stop going to the Dollar Tree. I'm amazed at what they have and don't see how a can of corn could be better somewhere else. They even had redneck Dukes Mayo.

I hear Duke's Mayo is good on that Chinese Corn.

mmm-mmm good Puke

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
                Bay Area - California
                United States
                Member #136477
                December 12, 2012
                4108 Posts
                Posted: June 17, 2013, 1:30 am - IP Logged

You sound like a snob.  Do you like your house in beverly hills?  Will you pray to your god allah when your house slides down the hill in the next earthquake?

Do you truly understand the English language ?

l used the term " if" because l did not want to imply that people DID visit those stores, knowing full well that some will not be seen dead in them.My question was based on choice. Perhaps a course in English will serve a purpose in your case- or not.

As for Allah- l think that is a term used by Muslims to identify their god.l am not a Muslim but your remark exposes you as a person with a phobia and being a  narrow-mindedness toad.

Before spewing hate speech, get yourself a sound education that exposes you to the geography of this country.Beverly Hills is in Southern California- not in the San Francisco Bay Area- which lies in Northern California.

Puke

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
                  Bay Area - California
                  United States
                  Member #136477
                  December 12, 2012
                  4108 Posts
                  Posted: June 17, 2013, 10:18 am - IP Logged

LotteryBoner: Here is added information which would make it easier for you to digest. The recent massive PB winner from Florida still shops at Wal-Mart. That is why l asked the question. Would that make her a snob in your book?
                  Hope that clear the air-Got it?- good.

Saint Louis MO
                    United States
                    Member #110754
                    May 11, 2011
                    2649 Posts
                    Posted: June 17, 2013, 10:55 am - IP Logged

Ebay is where its at, but one has to check the " shipping" charges first- those puppies can put a hurt on the total price.

I Agree! Seals the deal.

Remember to flip 6's 9's, mirror front and end #'s, and do front/back3 for a hit!

Lucky Loser's avatar - bucks
                      Texas
                      United States
                      Member #86154
                      January 30, 2010
                      1649 Posts
                      Posted: June 17, 2013, 10:58 am - IP Logged

I believe most people completely misinterpreted the topic. I don't believe anyone would continue to use Wal-Mart as their sole, one-stop-shop for all things as there are better quality offerings for a given product elsewhere. However, for the most part, there's absolutely nothing wrong with shopping at the Wally for most things at a given time. In all honesty, the store carries lots of the same products as other mainstream stores at a lower price.

I'm curious now. Should the values of that nice old lady who won the jackpot be questioned and frowned upon at this point? I mean, she's got all that dough and can surely afford those really, really nice dresses, hats and shoes from Neiman-Marcus and other fine stores. Maybe that food at Wal-Mart isn't good enough for her now...she should only shop Randall's, Kroger's, and HEB where most products are the same and just re-wrapped or packaged with a different label. Granted, a few are better...like certain meats and such.

Now that I think about it, she'd better hurry up if she wants to start keeping up with the Joneses!! 

L.L.

Small games, frequent wins, and regular payouts 'cause.....

There are seven days in the week...'Someday' isn't one of them.

#lotto-4-a-living

Kentucky
                        United States
                        Member #32652
                        February 14, 2006
                        7313 Posts
                        Posted: June 17, 2013, 2:22 pm - IP Logged

I believe most people completely misinterpreted the topic. I don't believe anyone would continue to use Wal-Mart as their sole, one-stop-shop for all things as there are better quality offerings for a given product elsewhere. However, for the most part, there's absolutely nothing wrong with shopping at the Wally for most things at a given time. In all honesty, the store carries lots of the same products as other mainstream stores at a lower price.

I'm curious now. Should the values of that nice old lady who won the jackpot be questioned and frowned upon at this point? I mean, she's got all that dough and can surely afford those really, really nice dresses, hats and shoes from Neiman-Marcus and other fine stores. Maybe that food at Wal-Mart isn't good enough for her now...she should only shop Randall's, Kroger's, and HEB where most products are the same and just re-wrapped or packaged with a different label. Granted, a few are better...like certain meats and such.

Now that I think about it, she'd better hurry up if she wants to start keeping up with the Joneses!! 

L.L.

She bought her winning ticket at a Publix grocery store and maybe to her grocery shopping at Wal Mart is a step up in class. Maybe her son is considering buying his next used car at a dealership used car lot rather than buying one from a "Buy here, pay here" car lot.

Maybe it's just me, but I didn't expect to see photos of $225 million jackpot winners coming out of Wal Mart and a restaurant carrying left-overs, driving the same used car, and wearing the same clothes they had on when they validated their ticket.

Saylorgirl's avatar - Lottery-065.jpg
                          Indiana
                          United States
                          Member #129225
                          June 13, 2012
                          546 Posts
                          Posted: June 17, 2013, 4:53 pm - IP Logged

She bought her winning ticket at a Publix grocery store and maybe to her grocery shopping at Wal Mart is a step up in class. Maybe her son is considering buying his next used car at a dealership used car lot rather than buying one from a "Buy here, pay here" car lot.

Maybe it's just me, but I didn't expect to see photos of $225 million jackpot winners coming out of Wal Mart and a restaurant carrying left-overs, driving the same used car, and wearing the same clothes they had on when they validated their ticket.

Everyone has to buy sundry items somewhere and for most people it is Wal-Mart or Target. Where would you suggest people buy sunscreen, paper products or bandaids?  As far as leftovers in a restaurant I am a small person and only eat half of what is served.  I almost always take it home with me, I am not doing this to be cheap but because I really and truly want to eat the rest of it but I can't eat it at one time.  As far as the same car perhaps they have ordered a new one from a dealership and have to wait for it to be delivered. 

To the OP I will always shop at Target, why wouldn't I??  And I find occasional shopping at consignment stores or "garage sales" to be great fun.  I do not nor will I shop at a "dollar" type store as all they carry is cheap plastic junk from China.