Welcome Guest
You last visited December 2, 2016, 7:21 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

What keeps you motivated to play on despite your loses outpacing your gains?

Topic closed. 53 replies. Last post 3 years ago by RedStang.

Page 1 of 4
PrintE-mailLink
noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
Bay Area - California
United States
Member #136477
December 12, 2012
4102 Posts
Posted: June 24, 2013, 9:22 pm - IP Logged

For me its that old adage" When that moment comes- will you be ready? "
Getting light-headed, shortness of breath, weakness in the knees- seeing your winning numbers. ..l say" bring it on".
Experience the thrill. ..

tastylovebug's avatar - DSC 0097b.jpg
    Ohio
    United States
    Member #114639
    August 4, 2011
    3535 Posts
    Posted: June 24, 2013, 9:32 pm - IP Logged

The fact that eventually the number will fall and the cycle starts over again, the adrenaline knowing that you could possibly win more then you paid out becomes a reality.  Although the number doesn't fall when you want it will, so for me i have to keep playing because most of the numbers i play fall and i get enough to keep playing and one day i will hit big.  I've hit big in the past but i feel i will hit for more, perhaps the mega millions...i sleep numbers wake up thinking about numbers, i guess you have to say i have a gambling problem....it's all fun though never to the point where it really breaks the bank....the other thing is that when you play a number and find that you're one number off that pisses you off so you have to keep playing until the number finally falls, it's all rigged and it's should only be a game, but i love challenges that i can win from, so what ever it takes to play i will....moderately....tasty....

Month of December 3374 6491 8259 2365 5808 0260 7368 4662 9057 9022 4754 6039 3811 2774 1576 5265 7900 8524 2995 1791 7558 4218 4393 2791 9548 3306 8114 5890 0702 2667 6191 9552 9898 5657 1592

hh

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
      Bay Area - California
      United States
      Member #136477
      December 12, 2012
      4102 Posts
      Posted: June 24, 2013, 9:55 pm - IP Logged

The fact that eventually the number will fall and the cycle starts over again, the adrenaline knowing that you could possibly win more then you paid out becomes a reality.  Although the number doesn't fall when you want it will, so for me i have to keep playing because most of the numbers i play fall and i get enough to keep playing and one day i will hit big.  I've hit big in the past but i feel i will hit for more, perhaps the mega millions...i sleep numbers wake up thinking about numbers, i guess you have to say i have a gambling problem....it's all fun though never to the point where it really breaks the bank....the other thing is that when you play a number and find that you're one number off that pisses you off so you have to keep playing until the number finally falls, it's all rigged and it's should only be a game, but i love challenges that i can win from, so what ever it takes to play i will....moderately....tasty....

That was tastefully put lovebug.
      Party

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
        Zeta Reticuli Star System
        United States
        Member #30470
        January 17, 2006
        10344 Posts
        Posted: June 25, 2013, 1:51 am - IP Logged

What keeps you motivated to play on despite your loses outpacing your gains?

Hypnosis!

The first time you play a ticket the lottery does a mojo on your mind and you're hooked from then on.

Seriously though, and quite simply, hope that you'll win.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

United States
          Member #130815
          July 25, 2012
          1636 Posts
          Posted: June 25, 2013, 6:41 am - IP Logged

For me its that old adage" When that moment comes- will you be ready? "
          Getting light-headed, shortness of breath, weakness in the knees- seeing your winning numbers. ..l say" bring it on".
          Experience the thrill. ..

What keeps you motivated is the sheer facts the winners could be anybody....I mean just anybody who bought the ticket....yeah the odds are against you but they are as equally against everyone else who bought a ticket too....I mean literally it could be....you

dager's avatar - vampireteeth100x98
            New Orleans
            United States
            Member #143282
            May 29, 2013
            36 Posts
            Posted: June 25, 2013, 10:10 am - IP Logged

As tastylovebug said "It's all fun"

The anticipation of seeing the winning numbers match the ones on my ticket gives a bit of an adrenalin rush. 

The way it all works is interesting.

HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
              Idaho
              United States
              Member #94283
              July 17, 2010
              2284 Posts
              Posted: June 25, 2013, 10:13 am - IP Logged

Being high on hope.  Having the thought in the back of my mind that this ticket I just bought could be a big winner, and having a couple days till the drawing to relish the feeling.  Knowing that all it takes is one ticket to win, and that buying that chance doesn't adversely affect my life or my financial situation.  Why would I NOT keep buying tickets?

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
                Idaho
                United States
                Member #56506
                November 21, 2007
                6537 Posts
                Posted: June 25, 2013, 11:47 am - IP Logged

Like probably most everyone else here, it's the thought that I still have the chance to win something big and I don't want to give up now. Besides, playing the lottery is also my hobby and i get enjoyment out of playing even when I lose.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

London
                  United Kingdom
                  Member #140684
                  March 24, 2013
                  566 Posts
                  Posted: June 25, 2013, 12:35 pm - IP Logged

Just for a bit of fun, who cares if you don't win. For those few days leading up to the draw you have that excitment that it could be you.

2016 Won/Lost

EuroMillions / Spent: £22 / Won £0 / Total -£22

UK Lotto / Spent: £4 / Won: £0 / Total: -£4

2016 Total: -£24

Jan: -£22 Feb: £0 ~ Mar: £0 ~ April: £0 ~ May: £0 ~ June: £0 ~ July: £2

EuroMillions = £2 Line / Played: x11 [old price] 

EuroMillions = £2.50 Line / Played: x0

UK Lotto = £2 Line / Played x2

PlayToWin47's avatar - Lottery-041.jpg
                    Joplin MO
                    United States
                    Member #138489
                    January 28, 2013
                    190 Posts
                    Posted: June 25, 2013, 11:45 pm - IP Logged

What keeps me motivated?  The excitement that I could be financially set for life with the next drawing.  If I don't play, I **KNOW** that my finances tomorrow will be the same as today.  Can't win if you don't play!

Besides, I just feel like with all the numbers that are drawn over a month's, a year's, or a decade's time, sooner or later, they're gonna be the same numbers that I am playing.

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
                      Oklahoma
                      United States
                      Member #82391
                      November 12, 2009
                      6290 Posts
                      Posted: June 26, 2013, 7:37 am - IP Logged

Like others have stated the anticipation of knowing you have a chance of winning the jackpotDance

I Love Pink & Green 1908

United States
                        Member #116268
                        September 7, 2011
                        20244 Posts
                        Posted: June 26, 2013, 12:12 pm - IP Logged

I dont consider a ticket that dosnt win "a loss" ........ Its more like an expenseGreen laugh

VA
                          United States
                          Member #142868
                          May 19, 2013
                          345 Posts
                          Posted: June 26, 2013, 12:26 pm - IP Logged

I dont consider a ticket that dosnt win "a loss" ........ Its more like an expenseGreen laugh

Ditto

Pressure either busts pipes, or it makes diamonds. No matter how high up the mountain, I stay climbin'.

East of Columbus, OH
                            United States
                            Member #120843
                            December 28, 2011
                            447 Posts
                            Posted: June 26, 2013, 1:11 pm - IP Logged

I personally enjoy the roller coaster ride of "playing the numbers". 

From the disappointment of not picking the right numbers to feeling hopeless that I might never pick the right numbers. 

Then the acceptance that I can keep trying to the appreciation of tracking the numbers, looking for patterns, then picking new numbers. 

Finally there is the excitement of filling out the slip and thinking that one of these lines might be the "one" that changes everything!

I hope it's soon as I don't know how long McLaren of Philadelphia will hold my 12C Spider without me putting a deposit down.

Life's Too Short To Be Unhappy Cool

United States
                              Member #122468
                              February 1, 2012
                              530 Posts
                              Posted: June 26, 2013, 2:08 pm - IP Logged

It's the dream of winning enough money where I no longer would have to work until I die. I've always been realistic enough to know it's just a pipe dream to actually win the lottery but that doesn't stop me from trying (in a responsible way).  I've always said that I would be happy winning any amount. Even if it isn't enough to retire on it would make my life easier.