Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 1:12 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

If you won either of the Big Ones: How much would you set aside for Charity?

Topic closed. 65 replies. Last post 3 years ago by jackpotismine.

Page 3 of 5
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #116268
September 7, 2011
20244 Posts
Posted: July 27, 2013, 11:25 am - IP Logged

you momma teach ya that to No No

I learned it from my favorite charitable organization.... Dat's why day git HALF.

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
    u$a
    United States
    Member #106665
    February 22, 2011
    19819 Posts
    Posted: July 27, 2013, 8:10 pm - IP Logged

I learned it from my favorite charitable organization.... Dat's why day git HALF.

Thumbs Up you are never to old to learn Yes Nod

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
      Bay Area - California
      United States
      Member #136477
      December 12, 2012
      4108 Posts
      Posted: July 29, 2013, 2:26 pm - IP Logged

btw, there are NOT 2 big one's anymore. Powerball is the only BIG GAME that we have.

These folk collected a $319 million Mega Millions check back on 3/25/2011- how is that classified not a Big Game?

$656 million Mega Millions was won on 30 March 2012, split by three tickets: KansasIllinois, and Maryland. Cash payout $474 million.

Just asking..

Teddi's avatar - Lottery-008.jpg

United States
        Member #142499
        May 13, 2013
        1183 Posts
        Posted: July 30, 2013, 5:15 pm - IP Logged

20%- 30% or more? Or would you take the " wait and see approach"?

Charity could denote your Church, Red Cross or Other.

First, I guess I'd try to find a church willing to accept the 10% in tithes. They all say that gambling is a sin and we are not to play the lottery, so not sure if they'd take it. Then I plan on giving some to all the schools I attended so they can expand and I'll set up scholarship programs for a certain number of kids to attend for free. 

Here's my biggie I was thinking about, that someone else touched on. If I could, I'd love to set up a couple of businesses where I won't care about turning a profit. That is, as long as they break even I'm fine. Because I thought about just making donations to homeless shelters and battered women's shelters, but that will only go so far. Long term needs will never be met. If I could start a business that would give those people somewhere to work, a guaranteed steady paycheck, in the long run that would do more than throwing money at a broken system. This way they get training, they get work experience and they get an income. It cannot be a business set up to fail, it would have to be able to support itself and it's employees, but I'm not concerned about it paying me, as long as it can pay the workers. 

Would that be considered charity? If so, that's the goal, but I don't know what percentage I'd set aside to get that done. Hurray!

veganlife125's avatar - Lottery-061.jpg

United States
          Member #142777
          May 18, 2013
          263 Posts
          Posted: August 4, 2013, 7:13 pm - IP Logged

First, I guess I'd try to find a church willing to accept the 10% in tithes. They all say that gambling is a sin and we are not to play the lottery, so not sure if they'd take it. Then I plan on giving some to all the schools I attended so they can expand and I'll set up scholarship programs for a certain number of kids to attend for free. 

Here's my biggie I was thinking about, that someone else touched on. If I could, I'd love to set up a couple of businesses where I won't care about turning a profit. That is, as long as they break even I'm fine. Because I thought about just making donations to homeless shelters and battered women's shelters, but that will only go so far. Long term needs will never be met. If I could start a business that would give those people somewhere to work, a guaranteed steady paycheck, in the long run that would do more than throwing money at a broken system. This way they get training, they get work experience and they get an income. It cannot be a business set up to fail, it would have to be able to support itself and it's employees, but I'm not concerned about it paying me, as long as it can pay the workers. 

Would that be considered charity? If so, that's the goal, but I don't know what percentage I'd set aside to get that done. Hurray!

According to christian economic scripture God owns it all but requires you to give 10% through your local church.  You shouldn't feel guilty if you don't give to other organizations.  In my opinion if you invest the money in stocks, money markets, or a business you will end up helping more people that way.  Most charitable contributions end up going for "administration costs" anyway.

Don't forget to visit the Lottery Post Gift Shop!

Goteki54's avatar - Lottery-007.jpg
            Baltimore, MD
            United States
            Member #143332
            May 30, 2013
            398 Posts
            Posted: August 4, 2013, 8:06 pm - IP Logged

Iwould set aside $30 million dollars and set up a trust invested in interest bearing investments. I would then at the end of the year take the interest income that is earned, and then divide up among my favorite charities. This way, it will be an ongoing charitie that will be around long after I am gone.

Following the trends and patterns means following the money!Banana

Inland Empire
              United States
              Member #118116
              October 22, 2011
              317 Posts
              Posted: August 5, 2013, 2:42 am - IP Logged

I am not sure. I am too vigilant to give away a huge portion of it.

OldSchoolPa's avatar - Lottery-057.jpg
                Gurnee, Illinois
                United States
                Member #49731
                February 12, 2007
                917 Posts
                Posted: August 5, 2013, 3:15 am - IP Logged

According to christian economic scripture God owns it all but requires you to give 10% through your local church.  You shouldn't feel guilty if you don't give to other organizations.  In my opinion if you invest the money in stocks, money markets, or a business you will end up helping more people that way.  Most charitable contributions end up going for "administration costs" anyway.

I have yet to find scripture taken in context that says God requires present day Christians to give 10 percent of their income to local church. That is a complete misinterpretation of scripture. From book of Genesis to book of Revelation, I have NOT found any scripture that says tithes is 10 percent of money or income. A monetary system did exist in Genesis, yet the only things that they tithed were foodstuff like livestock, crops, oil, etc. even the wealthy, hypocritical Pharisees in the New Testament ONLY tithed herbs they grew in their garden...and they continued to tithe because they were still living UNDER the law. 

There is no Biblical requirement to give 10 percent of anything to church for New Testament present day Christians. However, if one feels led to freely give whatever amount cheerfully to church, then that is in keeping with the manner of New Testament giving.

I find the word "tithe" as offensive as slavery and Jim Crow laws that existed prior to Civil Rights movement merely because preachers have put the yolk of money tithing over Christians as a means to finance their prosperous lifestyle just like slavery enriched the lives of slave owners at expense of black slaves. Jesus Christ threw out such money changers from the temple, and the same needs to happen today!

Get MONEY!!! Winning a JACKPOT lottery is all the HOPE and CHANGE I desire!!!  NOW give me MONEY!US Flag

The guy who won the presidency in 2008 really won the lottery...he is now millions richer, travels in first class style, and even has a staff that would be the envy of the richest Powerball winner (she has a staff of 2). Every night he goes to sleep, he probably plays the close of Dave Chappelle's Show: I'm rich beyatch!

duckman's avatar - ducklogodrake64x64
                  Jacksonville Florida
                  United States
                  Member #23018
                  October 6, 2005
                  918 Posts
                  Posted: August 5, 2013, 2:18 pm - IP Logged

Several posts recommended checking out any charities you would give to.

This is a must as there are a lot of well-known names that are scams out there.

A start would be to do a Google search with the name of the charity and the word scam and see what comes up (example: "United Way scam" or "Komen scam").

Too many national "charities" have the wrong priorities with too much of donations going toward high salaries and fancy buildings. The people that need it may only get a very small percentage, if anything, of what you give.

I would prefer to give to local charities that I could personally check out...

olmazey57's avatar - Lottery-002.jpg
                    Stanley
                    United States
                    Member #145261
                    August 1, 2013
                    2 Posts
                    Posted: August 5, 2013, 3:09 pm - IP Logged

excellent choices and most likely the same I would give as well...I would just add the american red cross and the american cancer society...I Agree!

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                      mid-Ohio
                      United States
                      Member #9
                      March 24, 2001
                      19826 Posts
                      Posted: August 5, 2013, 3:35 pm - IP Logged

I would start my own charity and appoint myself and family members to the top paying positions.  Some of these charity have positions that pay a half million dollars a year or more.  That way I would be giving to charity, helping the family and saving on taxes too.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

veganlife125's avatar - Lottery-061.jpg

United States
                        Member #142777
                        May 18, 2013
                        263 Posts
                        Posted: August 5, 2013, 5:40 pm - IP Logged

I have yet to find scripture taken in context that says God requires present day Christians to give 10 percent of their income to local church. That is a complete misinterpretation of scripture. From book of Genesis to book of Revelation, I have NOT found any scripture that says tithes is 10 percent of money or income. A monetary system did exist in Genesis, yet the only things that they tithed were foodstuff like livestock, crops, oil, etc. even the wealthy, hypocritical Pharisees in the New Testament ONLY tithed herbs they grew in their garden...and they continued to tithe because they were still living UNDER the law. 

There is no Biblical requirement to give 10 percent of anything to church for New Testament present day Christians. However, if one feels led to freely give whatever amount cheerfully to church, then that is in keeping with the manner of New Testament giving.

I find the word "tithe" as offensive as slavery and Jim Crow laws that existed prior to Civil Rights movement merely because preachers have put the yolk of money tithing over Christians as a means to finance their prosperous lifestyle just like slavery enriched the lives of slave owners at expense of black slaves. Jesus Christ threw out such money changers from the temple, and the same needs to happen today!

Whoa OldSchoolPa!  I'm not preaching to anybody on religion because im not knowledgeable enough.   If i came across that way my bad and i regress.Big Grin   I was just acknowleging teddi in his first sentence  that i was taught what he said as a kid in church right or wrong.  I agree with your view on preachers as well.  Also on the early monitary system.  I like your postings anyhow.   However i would challenge you on "money changers" if you are against bankers for all the worlds problems.  Sure bankers aren't perfect and many should be in jail who aren't but it is politicians who over spend to please voters.  NO money system can work without charging "interest".  Money ain't free just like gas or food aint free.  Peace.

Don't forget to visit the Lottery Post Gift Shop!

realtorjim's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcT7U3t20NgScoPlxOqLT6TR0vQeJNBV3_tTswe1XeFDTsdw3NLZ

United States
                          Member #106923
                          February 27, 2011
                          478 Posts
                          Posted: August 5, 2013, 6:54 pm - IP Logged

I would just donate more to the people I already donate to.

I'm not sure if the spousal shopping trips are deductible as a non-profit.

Roll Eyes

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                            Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                            United States
                            Member #73904
                            April 28, 2009
                            14903 Posts
                            Posted: August 6, 2013, 12:50 am - IP Logged

But this I say, He which soweth sparingly shall reap also sparingly; and he which soweth bountifully shall reap also bountifully.

Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.

And God is able to make all grace abound toward you; that ye, always having all sufficiency in all things, may abound to every good work:

- II Corinthians 9: 6-8 

Teddi's avatar - Lottery-008.jpg

United States
                              Member #142499
                              May 13, 2013
                              1183 Posts
                              Posted: August 6, 2013, 3:36 pm - IP Logged

I think you're splitting hairs. I don't own livestock? Do you? Our system of worth isn't the same as it was two thousand years ago. I don't have a farm, or grow anything. What I do have, or would have, is money. 10% of that goes to God (if you believe in biblical scriptures). How that gets interpreted, I think, is up to the individual. If that person believes it means local church or a faraway church, or Christian-based charity or school system, that's where it goes. 

If I did work for someone and they paid me with a goat or sheep, then technically, 10% of their worth would belong to God. If people started paying me in farm animals or crops, then I can worry about how to tithe that. The lottery doesn't pay anyone in that manner, so dollars it is.

Jesus threw out people from the temple because they were engaging in business transactions inside it and defiling it's sanctity. Had nothing to do with tithes.

However, I am a big believer in doing things according to one's conscience. If you believe tithing is unholy, don't do it. The people who believe in it and the good it does to a community should continue to. Just as did the widow and her mite.