Welcome Guest
You last visited January 16, 2017, 9:40 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

If you won either of the Big Ones: How much would you set aside for Charity?

Topic closed. 65 replies. Last post 3 years ago by jackpotismine.

Page 4 of 5
PrintE-mailLink
lejardin's avatar - Lottery-014.jpg

United States
Member #118609
November 4, 2011
1048 Posts
Posted: August 6, 2013, 3:41 pm - IP Logged

Excuse me for jumping in here but I was under the impression that "tithe" means a tenth or ten?

Teddi's avatar - Lottery-008.jpg

United States
    Member #142499
    May 13, 2013
    1203 Posts
    Posted: August 6, 2013, 3:47 pm - IP Logged

Excuse me for jumping in here but I was under the impression that "tithe" means a tenth or ten?

Yes, you are right, tithe means a tenth of something.

I might wake up early and go running.  I might also wake up and win the lottery.

The odds are about the same.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
      mid-Ohio
      United States
      Member #9
      March 24, 2001
      19892 Posts
      Posted: August 6, 2013, 4:05 pm - IP Logged

A few years ago the question was "If you won a lottery jackpot how much should you give the clerk who sold you the ticket?".  Eventually most everyone decided the question was BS and no one owed clerks anything extra for doing their jobs.

I'm sure most will come to a similar conclusion concerning this question too.  Giving to charities, churches or any other organization is a personal choice.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

NASHVILLE, TENN
        United States
        Member #33372
        February 20, 2006
        1044 Posts
        Posted: August 7, 2013, 8:38 pm - IP Logged

As I do not know Charity and have yet to met her, I doubt if I would be giving her anything.  Is she a pole dancer or what?

Oh, wait...huh?.. not the person but the activity.  Oh.

NEVER MIND.

paul762's avatar - lion

United Kingdom
          Member #3002
          December 11, 2003
          477 Posts
          Posted: August 8, 2013, 10:42 am - IP Logged

ZERO cash to charities, but I would purchase machines for hospitals, holiday tickets for sick kids etc. etc.

Life's Tragedy is that we get old to soon and wise too late - Benjamin Franklin.
            rdgrnr's avatar - walt
            Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
            United States
            Member #73904
            April 28, 2009
            14903 Posts
            Posted: August 8, 2013, 11:00 am - IP Logged

Most of it.

United States
              Member #116268
              September 7, 2011
              20244 Posts
              Posted: August 8, 2013, 11:09 am - IP Logged

ZERO cash to charities, but I would purchase machines for hospitals, holiday tickets for sick kids etc. etc.

Machines and "holiday tickets" at hospitals? You gonna set up lottery dispensing machines at the hospital?

United States
                Member #116268
                September 7, 2011
                20244 Posts
                Posted: August 8, 2013, 11:09 am - IP Logged

What?

United States
                  Member #116268
                  September 7, 2011
                  20244 Posts
                  Posted: August 8, 2013, 11:12 am - IP Logged

A few years ago the question was "If you won a lottery jackpot how much should you give the clerk who sold you the ticket?".  Eventually most everyone decided the question was BS and no one owed clerks anything extra for doing their jobs.

I'm sure most will come to a similar conclusion concerning this question too.  Giving to charities, churches or any other organization is a personal choice.

But dont forget, everyone has 2 pay D Piper..... I'm giving half up front.

Think's avatar - lightbulb
                    Marquette, MI
                    United States
                    Member #20541
                    August 20, 2005
                    709 Posts
                    Posted: August 8, 2013, 8:21 pm - IP Logged

"Giving to charities, churches or any other organization is a personal choice."

Nope, bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzttt!!!  Wrong, wrong, wrong.

When you pay the bucket load of taxes on your win you are mandated by the government to give money to charities that they decide to give your money to.  Thus it is not a "personal choice" it is charity by government mandate.

You are, in effect, outsourcing a good share of your charitable giving to the government whether you like it or not!

Whether you realize it or not a good portion of the taxes get spent on charity (foreign aid, farm subsidies, oil company subsidies, etc...etc...etc...).

paul762's avatar - lion

United Kingdom
                      Member #3002
                      December 11, 2003
                      477 Posts
                      Posted: August 10, 2013, 1:28 pm - IP Logged

Machines and "holiday tickets" at hospitals? You gonna set up lottery dispensing machines at the hospital?

I actually meant like a scanner or something, and sending sick kids on their dream holidays.

Life's Tragedy is that we get old to soon and wise too late - Benjamin Franklin.
                        RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                        mid-Ohio
                        United States
                        Member #9
                        March 24, 2001
                        19892 Posts
                        Posted: August 10, 2013, 1:43 pm - IP Logged

Twenty years ago hospitals in my area were owned by the community and people regularly contributed money or left part of their estates to to them to buy equipment and or to expand but now they have all been taken over by private for profit organizations.  Why would anyone give their money to a private for profit organization?

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
                          adelaide sa
                          Australia
                          Member #37136
                          April 11, 2006
                          3315 Posts
                          Posted: August 10, 2013, 7:46 pm - IP Logged

are strippers and barmen considered charity?

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016  = -1171; 2017 = ?  TOT =  -3596

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= -424; 2017 = ? TOT = - 3318

United States
                            Member #116268
                            September 7, 2011
                            20244 Posts
                            Posted: August 10, 2013, 7:56 pm - IP Logged

"Jumping in" is not only acceptable behavior, it is encouraged......

Yes, for those who do not understand biblical terms the "tithe" is 10%.

paul762's avatar - lion

United Kingdom
                              Member #3002
                              December 11, 2003
                              477 Posts
                              Posted: August 11, 2013, 4:33 am - IP Logged

Twenty years ago hospitals in my area were owned by the community and people regularly contributed money or left part of their estates to to them to buy equipment and or to expand but now they have all been taken over by private for profit organizations.  Why would anyone give their money to a private for profit organization?

I did say "ZERO cash" Also in the UK I think the NHS might appreciate a machine or two.