Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 8:49 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

When you are in a slump/losing streak how do you change things up?

Topic closed. 58 replies. Last post 3 years ago by savagegoose.

Page 1 of 4
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #122468
February 1, 2012
530 Posts
Posted: July 30, 2013, 8:43 am - IP Logged

Hello,

Lately I've been feeling like I've been in a losing steak/slump.  Though I've cut down on my lottery playing for the past 6 months, I can't seem to win anything.  When I buy scratch tickets I tend to buy one 2 or 5 dollar scratch ticket and scratch it in the store and if I win nothing will buy one more and leave and that will be it. I still buy one MM and PB ticket (though not everyweek) along with Mass Cash Tickets every now and then. The most I ever won in the last few months is a couple of 2 dollars on 2 dollar scratch tickets.  What's been good about playing less all these months is that I haven't felt as bad with the losses I've had as I had previously when I was playing more. What scares me is how difficult it seems to be to win anything in my state of Mass. I'm not sure where the figures of Mass. giving out more of a percentage to their winners because I've never seen it. Even on Mass Cash which is drawn from a pool of 35 numbers and you have to pick 5 numbers to win 100,000 the most I ever won was 10 dollars by getting 3 numbers correct. Whenever I tell myself to just take a drive on a weekend and go to a different town I usually chicken out because of the cost of gas prices and still tend to play locally. There are many different places I go to in my town and have gone to a couple of towns away. When I get into the city or visit friends will play in their towns but also with no luck. I can go weeks without playing scratch tickets but would like to win something. I'm just wondering what other people are doing? Do you stop playing at certain places if you continue not to win? Do you think that even though you haven't won in a certain place that someday you will win at that place?

RedStang's avatar - tallman zps6gf4inoc.jpg
    NY
    United States
    Member #121961
    January 21, 2012
    3157 Posts
    Posted: July 30, 2013, 9:43 am - IP Logged

I've tried different places and it does'nt work. I'll just keep wearing the big L until i hit. 

sully16's avatar - sharan
      Ringleader
      Michigan
      United States
      Member #81740
      October 28, 2009
      40518 Posts
      Posted: July 30, 2013, 10:22 am - IP Logged

Just walk away for awhile, sometimes you just have to leave it alone until your head clears.

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

United States
        Member #116268
        September 7, 2011
        20244 Posts
        Posted: July 30, 2013, 10:33 am - IP Logged

sAVE aLL U R mONEY. aFTER 6 wEEKS U wILL FeeL Like A Lottery wINNER. 

sully16's avatar - sharan
          Ringleader
          Michigan
          United States
          Member #81740
          October 28, 2009
          40518 Posts
          Posted: July 30, 2013, 10:39 am - IP Logged

sAVE aLL U R mONEY. aFTER 6 wEEKS U wILL FeeL Like A Lottery wINNER. 

LOL, That will work also.Cheers

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

MO
            United States
            Member #106928
            February 27, 2011
            925 Posts
            Posted: July 30, 2013, 11:01 am - IP Logged

I stop playing until I feel it again, depends on when that might be.  Could be one

week, could be six weeks. 

Jon D's avatar - calotterylogo
              Los Angeles, California
              United States
              Member #103813
              January 5, 2011
              1530 Posts
              Posted: July 30, 2013, 11:03 am - IP Logged

Hello,

Lately I've been feeling like I've been in a losing steak/slump.  Though I've cut down on my lottery playing for the past 6 months, I can't seem to win anything.  When I buy scratch tickets I tend to buy one 2 or 5 dollar scratch ticket and scratch it in the store and if I win nothing will buy one more and leave and that will be it. I still buy one MM and PB ticket (though not everyweek) along with Mass Cash Tickets every now and then. The most I ever won in the last few months is a couple of 2 dollars on 2 dollar scratch tickets.  What's been good about playing less all these months is that I haven't felt as bad with the losses I've had as I had previously when I was playing more. What scares me is how difficult it seems to be to win anything in my state of Mass. I'm not sure where the figures of Mass. giving out more of a percentage to their winners because I've never seen it. Even on Mass Cash which is drawn from a pool of 35 numbers and you have to pick 5 numbers to win 100,000 the most I ever won was 10 dollars by getting 3 numbers correct. Whenever I tell myself to just take a drive on a weekend and go to a different town I usually chicken out because of the cost of gas prices and still tend to play locally. There are many different places I go to in my town and have gone to a couple of towns away. When I get into the city or visit friends will play in their towns but also with no luck. I can go weeks without playing scratch tickets but would like to win something. I'm just wondering what other people are doing? Do you stop playing at certain places if you continue not to win? Do you think that even though you haven't won in a certain place that someday you will win at that place?

Have you ever measured your results, how well or how poorly you are doing?

Experienced gamblers keep track of their wins and losses, not just for their gaming skills, but also for taxes.(if it comes into play) It might be eye opening to you if you check how you are actually doing versus how you are supposed to be doing based on the odds of the game.

For instance, if you played one line of MM once a week (every other draw) for 6 months, then it is likely you will not have won anything! (less then 50% probability) If you do this for a year, you might get 1 or 2 small hits and about 3-4% of your money back. Is there anything you can do about it, besides playing and spending more? I don't really believe in that, but I don't begrudge anyone for trying.

For Scratch games, that's a different situation than the randomness of online/draw games. There are certain strategies that can improve your results. Main thing is to realize that, unlike draw games,  you are competing with other players for a fixed set of prizes. Some stores you may do poorly, worse than the odds, if there are a lot of players chasing wins there and you only buy 1 or 2 tickets. You might want to try a different strategy.

United States
                Member #141260
                April 9, 2013
                1390 Posts
                Posted: July 30, 2013, 11:05 am - IP Logged

Take a break. Take all your lotto money. Get a massage. Take a zumba class..go to dentist get a cleaning.  Surf facebook.  Rekindle with prom date. Make love all nite long

United States
                  Member #116268
                  September 7, 2011
                  20244 Posts
                  Posted: July 30, 2013, 11:12 am - IP Logged

Take a break. Take all your lotto money. Get a massage. Take a zumba class..go to dentist get a cleaning.  Surf facebook.  Rekindle with prom date. Make love all nite long

"Get your teeth cleaned"........ Thats the best advice you've given so far   cash4ninja Thumbs Up

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
                    Bay Area - California
                    United States
                    Member #136477
                    December 12, 2012
                    4108 Posts
                    Posted: July 30, 2013, 12:36 pm - IP Logged

I have on occasions abandoned  the tactics l have used and tried something new, like having the qp generator from lottery post pick my numbers- l  have also either lowered my bets on one particular game and put it elsewhere. If my returns on the multi State lottery is not yielding any wins- l will look at our local fantasy5 game which has better odds and enough " walking around money" should l win to attack the Multi State games once again.
                    For some reason, the pick 3/4 do not get my adrenaline going, but that's just me.

SergeM's avatar - slow icon.png
                      Economy class
                      Belgium
                      Member #123700
                      February 27, 2012
                      4035 Posts
                      Posted: July 30, 2013, 12:45 pm - IP Logged

"Get your teeth cleaned"........ Thats the best advice you've given so far   cash4ninja Thumbs Up

I Agree! ... with the toothbrush.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                        mid-Ohio
                        United States
                        Member #9
                        March 24, 2001
                        19830 Posts
                        Posted: July 30, 2013, 12:52 pm - IP Logged

Just take a little time out and read the odds posted on the back of the play slips or on the the lottery websites.  The game wasn't designed for you to regularly win, you are suppose to lose unless you get lucky.  Besides, it's not about winning it's about having fun.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
                          Oklahoma
                          United States
                          Member #82391
                          November 12, 2009
                          6290 Posts
                          Posted: July 30, 2013, 2:10 pm - IP Logged

I like to switch it up a little so I have a couple of stores that I frequent.

I Love Pink & Green 1908

maringoman's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcTbRxpKQmOfcCoUqF2FyqIOAwDo7rg9G-lfJLAALPGWJWwiz19eRw
                            Massachusetts
                            United States
                            Member #37433
                            April 14, 2006
                            2747 Posts
                            Posted: July 30, 2013, 3:56 pm - IP Logged

If you absolutely have to win something then play the Numbers game (First 3, Any order) and you will win more often than on scratch tickets and the big games (PB, MM, MB, MC, L4L). The problem with this is you have to fill a whole lot of slips and the payout is rather small. If you don't believe me try the predictions board for a week and see for yourself. Its free Naughty

That money's gone fo ever

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
                              u$a
                              United States
                              Member #106665
                              February 22, 2011
                              19859 Posts
                              Posted: July 30, 2013, 4:09 pm - IP Logged

don't stop playing No Nod