Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 11:24 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

When you are in a slump/losing streak how do you change things up?

Topic closed. 58 replies. Last post 3 years ago by savagegoose.

Page 3 of 4
PrintE-mailLink
Win$500Quick's avatar - Lottery-050.jpg
Florida
United States
Member #77815
August 1, 2009
3460 Posts
Posted: July 31, 2013, 10:36 am - IP Logged

I will take a break and watch for trends.

Guess Who's Back?

United States
    Member #122468
    February 1, 2012
    530 Posts
    Posted: July 31, 2013, 11:44 am - IP Logged

Have you ever measured your results, how well or how poorly you are doing?

Experienced gamblers keep track of their wins and losses, not just for their gaming skills, but also for taxes.(if it comes into play) It might be eye opening to you if you check how you are actually doing versus how you are supposed to be doing based on the odds of the game.

For instance, if you played one line of MM once a week (every other draw) for 6 months, then it is likely you will not have won anything! (less then 50% probability) If you do this for a year, you might get 1 or 2 small hits and about 3-4% of your money back. Is there anything you can do about it, besides playing and spending more? I don't really believe in that, but I don't begrudge anyone for trying.

For Scratch games, that's a different situation than the randomness of online/draw games. There are certain strategies that can improve your results. Main thing is to realize that, unlike draw games,  you are competing with other players for a fixed set of prizes. Some stores you may do poorly, worse than the odds, if there are a lot of players chasing wins there and you only buy 1 or 2 tickets. You might want to try a different strategy.

Hi Jon D,

I have not measured my results. I keep telling myself that I should keep track of my losses and rare wins but so far I haven't.  When it comes to my losses I just throw away my tickets and haven't saved them.  I have been playing much less these past 6 months so the pain of losing isn't as hard to take as it was when I was playing more frequently. I tend to play with one line on MM and PB unless the jackpot gets very high, then I will play with 3 lines instead of 1. The times that I have bought more than one line are the times that I have won something (though that has happened when I pick my numbers instead of using the QP).

Scratch games seems so hard to be able to be at the right place at the right time.  I'm not sure of what strategies could improve my results in those situations. I've tried going to different stores and waiting for a few months to go back to a store I usually lose at.

United States
      Member #122468
      February 1, 2012
      530 Posts
      Posted: July 31, 2013, 11:53 am - IP Logged

Take a break. Take all your lotto money. Get a massage. Take a zumba class..go to dentist get a cleaning.  Surf facebook.  Rekindle with prom date. Make love all nite long

Hi cash4ninja,

I like your ideas, it gave me a nice laugh.

United States
        Member #122468
        February 1, 2012
        530 Posts
        Posted: July 31, 2013, 12:05 pm - IP Logged

I have on occasions abandoned  the tactics l have used and tried something new, like having the qp generator from lottery post pick my numbers- l  have also either lowered my bets on one particular game and put it elsewhere. If my returns on the multi State lottery is not yielding any wins- l will look at our local fantasy5 game which has better odds and enough " walking around money" should l win to attack the Multi State games once again.
        For some reason, the pick 3/4 do not get my adrenaline going, but that's just me.

Hi noise-gate,

Thanks for the reminder about the QP generator from Lottery Post to pick numbers.  I've only played the state pick 3/4 only a few times and didn't win anything.

United States
          Member #122468
          February 1, 2012
          530 Posts
          Posted: July 31, 2013, 12:13 pm - IP Logged

Just take a little time out and read the odds posted on the back of the play slips or on the the lottery websites.  The game wasn't designed for you to regularly win, you are suppose to lose unless you get lucky.  Besides, it's not about winning it's about having fun.

Hi RJOH,

I always read the odds of games on my state's lottery website. I agree with you about the lottery not being designed for people like myself to win regularly. I'm only hoping to win something occasionally but that's not been happening. When I don't take the lottery too seriously and just have fun playing then I feel like like a kid again.

United States
            Member #122468
            February 1, 2012
            530 Posts
            Posted: July 31, 2013, 12:26 pm - IP Logged

I like to switch it up a little so I have a couple of stores that I frequent.

Hi dallascowboyfan,

I agree with the switching things up by playing at more than one store. I do the same thing.

United States
              Member #122468
              February 1, 2012
              530 Posts
              Posted: July 31, 2013, 1:19 pm - IP Logged

If you absolutely have to win something then play the Numbers game (First 3, Any order) and you will win more often than on scratch tickets and the big games (PB, MM, MB, MC, L4L). The problem with this is you have to fill a whole lot of slips and the payout is rather small. If you don't believe me try the predictions board for a week and see for yourself. Its free Naughty

Hi maringoman,

I have only played the numbers game twice and to be honest I'm confused a bit by how it really works. I would prefer to win 500 dollars or less because if you win 600 dollars or more you have to claim it on your taxes. I do see people who buy their tickets filling out lots of pay slips when they play the numbers game so I see where you are coming from about filling out lots of slips.  I still like playing Mass Cash because it seems a bit more realistic to get 5 numbers out of a pool of 35 numbers to win 100,000 than getting 5 numbers in MM and PB. Still have yet to win more than 10 dollars on a win with Mass Cash but do like playing it every now and then.

United States
                Member #122468
                February 1, 2012
                530 Posts
                Posted: July 31, 2013, 1:21 pm - IP Logged

don't stop playing No Nod

Hi helpmewin,

I am following your advice and will continue to play just keep playing less often.  You can't win if you give up and I don't plan on giving up.

United States
                  Member #122468
                  February 1, 2012
                  530 Posts
                  Posted: July 31, 2013, 1:22 pm - IP Logged

Well I simply remember my favorite things
                  And then I don't feel so bad.

Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens
                  Bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens
                  Brown paper packages tied up with strings
                  These are a few of my favorite things

Cream colored ponies and crisp apple streudels
                  Doorbells and sleigh bells and schnitzel with noodles
                  Wild geese that fly with the moon on their wings

Girls in white dresses with blue satin sashes
                  Snowflakes that stay on my nose and eyelashes
                  Silver white winters that melt into springs

When the dog bites
                  When the bee stings
                  When I'm feeling sad
                  I simply remember my favorite things
                  And then I don't feel so bad

Love that movie, it always brings a smile to my face when I hear Julie Andrews singing that song.

United States
                    Member #122468
                    February 1, 2012
                    530 Posts
                    Posted: July 31, 2013, 1:26 pm - IP Logged

If you absolutely have to win something then play the Numbers game (First 3, Any order) and you will win more often than on scratch tickets and the big games (PB, MM, MB, MC, L4L).

Actually, with Scratch games you will both win more often and win back a higher percentage than any draw/online games.

Scratch games give you around 1-in-3 to 1-in-4 chances of winning anything. And they have a total payout upwards of 70% or more whereas most draw games only have 50% total payout, and much higher odds of winning anything at all.

Draw games cannot compare to Scratch games which gives you a 25-30% hit ratio and sustained 55-65% payout after a couple hundred plays, without even hitting any of the top prizes.

Hi Jon D,

I'm not sure I agree with your statement of with Scratch games you win more often with a higher percentage. Since playing the lottery over the past 3.5 years I've only won 200 dollars just once and 100 dollars twice. Those are the most I've ever won on scratch tickets. It seems like there are far too many scratch tickets that pay nothing or just the face value of the ticket. I played the newer scratch tickets in my state of Mass. and they were all horrible.

United States
                      Member #106134
                      February 13, 2011
                      806 Posts
                      Posted: July 31, 2013, 2:44 pm - IP Logged

If it's MM or PB you're talking about, just play board with either the red or yellow balls.

Buy tickets in New Jersey.

Either way you can't lose.

Jon D's avatar - calotterylogo
                        Los Angeles, California
                        United States
                        Member #103813
                        January 5, 2011
                        1530 Posts
                        Posted: July 31, 2013, 5:52 pm - IP Logged

Hi Jon D,

I'm not sure I agree with your statement of with Scratch games you win more often with a higher percentage. Since playing the lottery over the past 3.5 years I've only won 200 dollars just once and 100 dollars twice. Those are the most I've ever won on scratch tickets. It seems like there are far too many scratch tickets that pay nothing or just the face value of the ticket. I played the newer scratch tickets in my state of Mass. and they were all horrible.

I'm not sure I agree with your statement of with Scratch games you win more often with a higher percentage.

Well, I'm sorry but you have to agree. Wink These are matters of undeniable fact. I comes from the game odds and prize structure of the various games. I think part of your problem is that you don't know what kind of results you are supposed to be getting, and are not measuring what you are getting, so you can't accurately evaluate how well or poorly you are doing. An important part of getting out of a "slump" is knowing whether you're in one to begin with!

Also, you are discounting ticket value wins, that is a slippery slope. What about if you play 2 lines of PB and match the 1+PB on one of them and win $4? That's a break even result also, is that not a win? What about if over a 3 week period you play 50 lines of Pick 3, and then at the end of that get a $40 box prize, you're at a net loss of $10 so is that $40 box hit not a win?

You win if you get a prize from a wager.(you get your money back and live to play another day) You're winning if over time you are beating the game odds or payout. But if you are expecting to profit then that is very hard to do with the lottery long term. Short term, yes, you can in certain time periods and games. Take those as a blessing.

It does sound like you are doing worse than the odds on Scratch games though. There is a wrong way to play those, unlike draw games. If you want, I can show you how you should be doing and some things you can do to improve.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                          Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                          United States
                          Member #73904
                          April 28, 2009
                          14903 Posts
                          Posted: July 31, 2013, 6:27 pm - IP Logged

Stay the course.

Steady as she goes.

Don't rock the boat.

Wouldn't be prudent.

cheryl59's avatar - center
                            Va Beach
                            United States
                            Member #46651
                            September 20, 2006
                            1857 Posts
                            Posted: August 1, 2013, 6:47 pm - IP Logged

Stay the course.

Steady as she goes.

Don't rock the boat.

Wouldn't be prudent.

I Agree!

CHERYL59Hippy

01-02-03-04-05

My Ultimate Pet numbers

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
                              Member #4877
                              May 30, 2004
                              5120 Posts
                              Posted: August 1, 2013, 10:53 pm - IP Logged

Hello,

Lately I've been feeling like I've been in a losing steak/slump.  Though I've cut down on my lottery playing for the past 6 months, I can't seem to win anything.  When I buy scratch tickets I tend to buy one 2 or 5 dollar scratch ticket and scratch it in the store and if I win nothing will buy one more and leave and that will be it. I still buy one MM and PB ticket (though not everyweek) along with Mass Cash Tickets every now and then. The most I ever won in the last few months is a couple of 2 dollars on 2 dollar scratch tickets.  What's been good about playing less all these months is that I haven't felt as bad with the losses I've had as I had previously when I was playing more. What scares me is how difficult it seems to be to win anything in my state of Mass. I'm not sure where the figures of Mass. giving out more of a percentage to their winners because I've never seen it. Even on Mass Cash which is drawn from a pool of 35 numbers and you have to pick 5 numbers to win 100,000 the most I ever won was 10 dollars by getting 3 numbers correct. Whenever I tell myself to just take a drive on a weekend and go to a different town I usually chicken out because of the cost of gas prices and still tend to play locally. There are many different places I go to in my town and have gone to a couple of towns away. When I get into the city or visit friends will play in their towns but also with no luck. I can go weeks without playing scratch tickets but would like to win something. I'm just wondering what other people are doing? Do you stop playing at certain places if you continue not to win? Do you think that even though you haven't won in a certain place that someday you will win at that place?

SHY:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>guitar>>>gittttturrrrpitcher^!

on D cover of D>>>>>>>>>>>>"____LOTTERY POST____">>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Jester LaughJack-in-the-BoxJester Laugh