Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 7:02 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Would you prefer the PB jackpot be won this Saturday or roll toward half a Billion and beyond?

Topic closed. 42 replies. Last post 3 years ago by Teddi.

Page 3 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
Milwaukee, WI
United States
Member #3131
December 27, 2003
665 Posts
Posted: August 5, 2013, 8:33 am - IP Logged

insane asylum

Sometimes I think that we are there already... :-)

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
    u$a
    United States
    Member #106665
    February 22, 2011
    19835 Posts
    Posted: August 5, 2013, 8:58 am - IP Logged

insane asylum

Sometimes I think that we are there already... :-)

I Agree!

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
      Oklahoma
      United States
      Member #82391
      November 12, 2009
      6290 Posts
      Posted: August 5, 2013, 11:25 am - IP Logged

It don't make no difference to me Big Grin

I Love Pink & Green 1908

NY
        United States
        Member #23835
        October 16, 2005
        3474 Posts
        Posted: August 5, 2013, 1:54 pm - IP Logged

Considering previous winners of jackpots this size, there's a good chance there will be more than one winner.

Considering every previous powerball jackpot of more than $400 million, there's a good chance there will only be one winning ticket.

Kentucky
          United States
          Member #32652
          February 14, 2006
          7310 Posts
          Posted: August 5, 2013, 3:19 pm - IP Logged

I think if it goes above 500 mill they should have 10 or 20 drawings And split it. No one needs 500 mill to their self.

It's always possible a highly played combination will be drawn and produce multiple winners like when the fortune cookie numbers were drawn. What you're suggesting would be unfair to the players who built the jackpot with only one chance to win in each drawing before the magic number was reached. That could also create a scenario with a enough jackpot winning tickets where the secondary prize might pay more.

And that brings up the question of how each of the 5 + 0 winners could collect the fixed $1 million prize when because of the 10 to 20 extra drawings, many states will reach their aggregated payout limits?

ThemBonez's avatar - 16314 s.jpg
            Phoenix, AZ
            United States
            Member #136173
            December 5, 2012
            1034 Posts
            Posted: August 6, 2013, 1:20 pm - IP Logged

If nobody wins it Wednesday, then I'd like to see it go over the 1/2 billion mark.  Seeing it set a new record would be awesome too.

"JACKPOT BABY!" ...those elusive words still elude me! LOL

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
              u$a
              United States
              Member #106665
              February 22, 2011
              19835 Posts
              Posted: August 6, 2013, 1:22 pm - IP Logged

If nobody wins it Wednesday, then I'd like to see it go over the 1/2 billion mark.  Seeing it set a new record would be awesome too.

Let it RollParty

Teddi's avatar - Lottery-008.jpg

United States
                Member #142499
                May 13, 2013
                1183 Posts
                Posted: August 6, 2013, 4:18 pm - IP Logged

I think if it goes above 500 mill they should have 10 or 20 drawings And split it. No one needs 500 mill to their self.

I wish I could understand people with your way of thinking. Actually, no I don't. Because it makes no sense. If you don't want that amount of money, don't play when it gets to a certain amount. 

Who are you, or anyone else, to decide how much any person should have? There are about a thousand things in YOUR day-to-day life that you use or you own that you do not need. But you have them because they make life more enjoyable, more pleasurable, more comfortable, or at the very least, more practical. 

I'm sure there are millions of people in the world who wonder why you NEED indoor plumbing, dishwashers, an iPod, an iPad, a laptop, washing machines, dryers, vacuum cleaners or even electicity when they survive perfectly well without all those things. Check out any Amazonian tribe and you'll see people who thrive without them. All they need to have is a supply of clean water, food and shelter. But I can bet my house you wouldn't want to give up all the things you have that you don't NEED to live the way they do. 

What you want and how YOU want to live should not be a basis for determining how much anyone else should have. It smacks of communism and not democracy.

Epistrophy's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
                  San Diego, CA
                  United States
                  Member #112369
                  June 17, 2011
                  187 Posts
                  Posted: August 6, 2013, 7:02 pm - IP Logged

I wish I could understand people with your way of thinking. Actually, no I don't. Because it makes no sense. If you don't want that amount of money, don't play when it gets to a certain amount. 

Who are you, or anyone else, to decide how much any person should have? There are about a thousand things in YOUR day-to-day life that you use or you own that you do not need. But you have them because they make life more enjoyable, more pleasurable, more comfortable, or at the very least, more practical. 

I'm sure there are millions of people in the world who wonder why you NEED indoor plumbing, dishwashers, an iPod, an iPad, a laptop, washing machines, dryers, vacuum cleaners or even electicity when they survive perfectly well without all those things. Check out any Amazonian tribe and you'll see people who thrive without them. All they need to have is a supply of clean water, food and shelter. But I can bet my house you wouldn't want to give up all the things you have that you don't NEED to live the way they do. 

What you want and how YOU want to live should not be a basis for determining how much anyone else should have. It smacks of communism and not democracy.

Very well stated, Teddi.

When you say Amazonian tribe, do you mean a group of people that live near the Amazon or shop online at Amazon?  Just kidding - it's the one with no iPods and IPads and piranhas in their place.

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
                    Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
                    United States
                    Member #112968
                    June 29, 2011
                    3856 Posts
                    Posted: August 6, 2013, 7:23 pm - IP Logged

Very well stated, Teddi.

When you say Amazonian tribe, do you mean a group of people that live near the Amazon or shop online at Amazon?  Just kidding - it's the one with no iPods and IPads and piranhas in their place.

I Agree!  and I'm a member of the first tribe.

As for the OP,

Let it roll baby roll, let it roll baby roll. 

Cheers Cool Drum Party  Party Party Guitar

W/apologies to the Doors.  Wink

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                      Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                      United States
                      Member #73904
                      April 28, 2009
                      14903 Posts
                      Posted: August 6, 2013, 11:24 pm - IP Logged

"...there are millions of people in the world who wonder why you NEED indoor plumbing..."

I Agree!   Dadgum straight!

United States
                        Member #128790
                        June 2, 2012
                        5431 Posts
                        Posted: August 7, 2013, 12:10 am - IP Logged

Doesn't matter to me. Any amount over 768 thousand is happy news. I

Teddi's avatar - Lottery-008.jpg

United States
                          Member #142499
                          May 13, 2013
                          1183 Posts
                          Posted: August 7, 2013, 4:24 pm - IP Logged

"...there are millions of people in the world who wonder why you NEED indoor plumbing..."

I Agree!   Dadgum straight!

ROFL

I might wake up early and go running.  I might also wake up and win the lottery.

The odds are about the same.