Welcome Guest
You last visited December 11, 2016, 5:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Poll: First person to win a $1 Billion JP

Topic closed. 51 replies. Last post 3 years ago by Coin Toss.

Page 3 of 4
PrintE-mailLink

Would you really want to be that person?

Yes [ 31 ]  [58.49%]
No [ 5 ]  [9.43%]
You'd be famous, right? [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
That person would never have a moment's peace [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
There are mooches already waiting for that person [ 2 ]  [3.77%]
Yes but then I'd join the French Foreign Legion [ 1 ]  [1.89%]
Only in an anonymous state! [ 12 ]  [22.64%]
The NSA already knows who it will be! [ 2 ]  [3.77%]
Other [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Total Valid Votes [ 53 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 0 ]  
veganlife125's avatar - Lottery-061.jpg

United States
Member #142777
May 18, 2013
263 Posts
Posted: August 4, 2013, 1:46 pm - IP Logged

Would you really want to be the first person to win a $1 Billion jackpot?

Ideally you'd win in an anonymous state, but since there are only four of them if yours isn't one, would you really want to be the first billion dollar winner?

What is the big deal about being anonymous? What about Tiger Woods, Oprah, Brad Pitt, Gene Simmons, Donald Trump, Merly Streep, ect?  These celebs and many others are worth millions and you don't see them being attacked or their family being held for ransom.  And no the majority of these people don't have or need bodyguards.  Surely the average criminal doesn't think they can get money out of us quicker than they could them if we won it.  You just do what they do.  Move to a gated community enclave and get great security.

Second who wants to be anonymous?  Besides the money appearing at the press conference as a single winner to gloat and rub the envious people who think the money should have been split 100 ways would be all the fun!  Also, after doing a press conference "the right way" no one would try to contact you for money.  Tell them that your only charity is yourself and close family and anyone else contacting you for money will trigger calling  the police and your attorneys to have them all arrested and sued for harassment.  Tell them your money won't be going to pay off another lakehouse for the wife or girlfriend of a preacher or red cross executive.  The sooner they know your a road savvy mf and not some ignorant smuck the better.  E Z!

By the way... When i set up a charitable trust to protect from frivolous lawsuits deposit it all in Goldman Sacks because they will be the last bank bailed out by the federal reserve when the fed quits buying the politicians bonds to avoid hyperinflation soon.  In deflation cash is strong but only if your in a bank that was bailed out.  Any Questions?Big Grin

Don't forget to visit the Lottery Post Gift Shop!

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
    Zeta Reticuli Star System
    United States
    Member #30470
    January 17, 2006
    10356 Posts
    Posted: August 4, 2013, 3:12 pm - IP Logged

Nice little fantasy you've set up there, veganlife125, but if you read some of the threads here on LP about big winners you'll see that some gated communities are high crine areas, for one thing.

As far as celebrities, mostly they run with other celebrities, not long lost relatives of those who come into sudden wealth.

PS,

A lot of celebrities do indeeded have body guards, and entourages that they travel with, the public just doesn't see them or is aware of them.

Cheers.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

helpmewin's avatar - dandy
      u$a
      United States
      Member #106665
      February 22, 2011
      19911 Posts
      Posted: August 4, 2013, 4:45 pm - IP Logged

Would you really want to be the first person to win a $1 Billion jackpot?

Ideally you'd win in an anonymous state, but since there are only four of them if yours isn't one, would you really want to be the first billion dollar winner?

Nice Poll

whiteballz's avatar - Lottery-015.jpg
        Nutley, New Jersey
        United States
        Member #131058
        August 1, 2012
        875 Posts
        Posted: August 4, 2013, 5:33 pm - IP Logged

Nice Poll

that's what she said! Big Grin

haymaker's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
          Egg Harbor twp.south Jersey shore
          United States
          Member #112968
          June 29, 2011
          3856 Posts
          Posted: August 4, 2013, 7:10 pm - IP Logged

What is the big deal about being anonymous? What about Tiger Woods, Oprah, Brad Pitt, Gene Simmons, Donald Trump, Merly Streep, ect?  These celebs and many others are worth millions and you don't see them being attacked or their family being held for ransom.  And no the majority of these people don't have or need bodyguards.  Surely the average criminal doesn't think they can get money out of us quicker than they could them if we won it.  You just do what they do.  Move to a gated community enclave and get great security.

Second who wants to be anonymous?  Besides the money appearing at the press conference as a single winner to gloat and rub the envious people who think the money should have been split 100 ways would be all the fun!  Also, after doing a press conference "the right way" no one would try to contact you for money.  Tell them that your only charity is yourself and close family and anyone else contacting you for money will trigger calling  the police and your attorneys to have them all arrested and sued for harassment.  Tell them your money won't be going to pay off another lakehouse for the wife or girlfriend of a preacher or red cross executive.  The sooner they know your a road savvy mf and not some ignorant smuck the better.  E Z!

By the way... When i set up a charitable trust to protect from frivolous lawsuits deposit it all in Goldman Sacks because they will be the last bank bailed out by the federal reserve when the fed quits buying the politicians bonds to avoid hyperinflation soon.  In deflation cash is strong but only if your in a bank that was bailed out.  Any Questions?Big Grin

While kidnapping for cash ransom Is rare It does happen, back in 73 J.Paul Getty 3rd, grandson of the oil baron was kidnapped.

When they refused to pay the ransom the kidnappers mailed 1 of his ears to show they were serious,

If I remember right they paid after that, I don't remember the final outcome I'd have to look It up.

There have been other Instances, another one I think was an oil company exec. dragged out of his car right at the end of his driveway.

My point Is why take a chance If you don't have to ?

Extraordinary Popular Delusions & the Madness of Crowds    -- Charles Mackay  LL.D.

HoLeeKau's avatar - YheaShea
            Idaho
            United States
            Member #94283
            July 17, 2010
            2284 Posts
            Posted: August 4, 2013, 7:36 pm - IP Logged

Just a few years ago, some guys were plotting to kidnap David Letterman's son.  Luckily they were found out before it actually happened and are spending a few decades in prison.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
              Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
              United States
              Member #73904
              April 28, 2009
              14903 Posts
              Posted: August 4, 2013, 9:49 pm - IP Logged

Just a few years ago, some guys were plotting to kidnap David Letterman's son.  Luckily they were found out before it actually happened and are spending a few decades in prison.

A jerkoff like Letterman has so much bad karma built up he can't avoid stuff like that.

noise-gate's avatar - images q=tbn:ANd9GcR91HDs4UJhjxO7cmeMQWZ5lB_FOcMLOGicau4V74R45tDgPWrr
                Bay Area - California
                United States
                Member #136477
                December 12, 2012
                4111 Posts
                Posted: August 5, 2013, 12:37 am - IP Logged

Winning a Billion Dollars in America is not an issue if you are a Sikh- which l am not. ALL of the Men are named Singh. How's that for anonymity?

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                  mid-Ohio
                  United States
                  Member #9
                  March 24, 2001
                  19831 Posts
                  Posted: August 5, 2013, 2:07 am - IP Logged

Winning a Billion Dollars in America is not an issue if you are a Sikh- which l am not. ALL of the Men are named Singh. How's that for anonymity?

Do their women folks have the same anonymity with their names?  Not every jackpot winner is a man.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

lottoguysocal's avatar - atlantis dubai_1118783i.jpg
                    camarillo, ca
                    United States
                    Member #132476
                    September 4, 2012
                    144 Posts
                    Posted: August 5, 2013, 2:15 am - IP Logged

a billion dollars and you're sure to make forbes richest list for a couple years to come.

Inland Empire
                      United States
                      Member #118116
                      October 22, 2011
                      317 Posts
                      Posted: August 5, 2013, 2:39 am - IP Logged

Even if I win, I'd hesitate to give away portions of it. I am not a selfish guy and I don't believe that everyone's disconnected from each other. But my life experience taught me that I should be really careful and skeptical when it comes to helping needy people.

I might EVENTUALLY help people, starting from veterans. But I would just end up becoming a major landlord and build up the cash reserve for years to come, not spending most of it.

Inland Empire
                        United States
                        Member #118116
                        October 22, 2011
                        317 Posts
                        Posted: August 5, 2013, 2:40 am - IP Logged

Do their women folks have the same anonymity with their names?  Not every jackpot winner is a man.

Seems like Sikh women has same kind of common name. 

BTW, as far as I know some of the elite fighter pilots in India are Sikhs.

BuyLow's avatar - palm tree.jpg
                          Florida
                          United States
                          Member #61435
                          May 22, 2008
                          908 Posts
                          Posted: August 5, 2013, 9:59 am - IP Logged

A billion dollar jackpot would be little over $350,000,000.00 after taxes if taken cash value.

Love to win it!!!

NY
                            United States
                            Member #23835
                            October 16, 2005
                            3475 Posts
                            Posted: August 5, 2013, 1:51 pm - IP Logged

Sounds like a good strategy for a winner would be to share the prize with Sikh, and have them claim it.  After they show up with a turban, sunglasses, and a beard nobody is going to recognize them on the street.

mikeintexas's avatar - tx avatar-1.gif
                              Texas Panhandle
                              United States
                              Member #136843
                              December 20, 2012
                              1285 Posts
                              Posted: August 5, 2013, 4:48 pm - IP Logged

A jerkoff like Letterman has so much bad karma built up he can't avoid stuff like that.

Jerkoff?  That's harsh.

Not harsh enough, though. Wink